TF2 Scout update info

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I mostly want Bonk because that screenshot of the Scout after drinking it had those little "miss" things above him so I thought maybe it gives a % chance to miss to bullets or something and therefore lets him zoom past Sentry Guns if he's lucky. That's the Scout's biggest issue IMHO, the Sentry. If Bonk lets me run past one every once in a while I'll be happy.
  • SkulkBaitSkulkBait Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13423Members
    I agree. Bonk! is probably the only unlockable I'd use of the three... if I used the unlockables or played scout on anything but badlands.

Incidentally, does anyone know of a good server with an actual map rotation, good regulars, 30+ players, and that is usually full (or nearly)? I'm getting really sick of playing pl, dust, and warpath all the time.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    East Coast Server: Necrophix.com

74.63.41.202:27015

They have a zombiemod TF2 server, and a still active NS server as well.

+good map rotation(a lot of custom, but usually sticks to real map types(pl, cp) unless there's a low player count)
    +good regulars
    +max players 30
    +Full around peak times(evening weekends)
    -not full all the time(but really what server is)
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    New scout sounds (I think?)

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IX__swbUwag"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IX__swbUwag" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

"here's something you should've built; a not dying machine."
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Oh man, I'm going to LOVE hearing those in action.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    ooooh class specific taunts. Awsome!

"I. Eat. Your. Sandwich. IEatItUp!"
    I can't stop laughing. "Real nice effort, deutschbag!"
    I'm conflicted. I sympathise with those who go to achievement servers, yet I cannot help but look down upon them when I play against them.
    So, anyone have any serious play time since the update? Should I just stay the hell off for the next week to avoid game after game being ruined by the sudden influx of scouts?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1701359:date=Feb 25 2009, 01:04 PM:name=SkulkBait)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkulkBait @ Feb 25 2009, 01:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701359"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, anyone have any serious play time since the update? Should I just stay the hell off for the next week to avoid game after game being ruined by the sudden influx of scouts?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I played for about 1/2 an hr this morning on the non gold rush PL map (badwater is it?).

both teams had more scout then normal, but one team was almost purely scout, my team had a few other classes. I had stupid amounts of fun playing as a heavy with a decent medic backing me up.

The sandman does NOT bother me at all. I am looking forward to playing on my regular server tonight.
    I've had an hour so far, playing scout (and yes, I played the class <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/lolfighter/stats/TF2" target="_blank">before it got fashionable, ######!</a>). I look forward to giving Natasha an outing, though.
  • DrSuredeathDrSuredeath Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8217Members
    edited February 2009
    Well, I did log in and played scout... Then got sick with 90% of other players being scouts, just jumping around trying to get achievement... (me too, yeah). Turned heavies, got 2 achievements (ridiculously easy with all the scout targets). Then create my own private server, got 6 scouts achievement in less than 10 minutes, at least I didn't annoy other people.
    I'll hold off for a while then.

My mind still struggles to comprehend why vavle thought linking achievements to new items was a good idea.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited February 2009
    Unlockables info:

*Force-a-nature

-20% damage
    +20% pellets/bullets
    50% faster firing
    50% slower reload
    2 shots, both reloaded at same time
    Knockback on target and user

This sunnova gun does not propel you up in the air depending how you are aiming it. The only way you fly from knockback, is back or nowhere. Does not add additional acceleration on a normal jump or double jump.

The best usage of it is hit & run or insta mashing two shots at point blank on hurt or lower hp classes. Dancing around a overhealed target or a heavy for longer then one reload will make you a dead person, you can't control the air jumps properly so the heavy usually has a easy time tracking and putting you down before you can do the same to him. Relies a lot more on aim and closing the distance. Standing on a cp and shooting someone approaching prematurely will get yourself killed before you can manage to reload.

*Sandman

-50% damage to non-paralyzed targets
    1 ammo
    Can grab any baseball laying around for resupply
    Cabinet resupplies ball instantly, otherwise a recharge meter fills up over time
    Works on ubers
    Disables double jump

Sandman actually reliable whacks balls fast enough to hit any other class once you get used to it, and it's great fun. The longer the distance (25m applies max paralyse) the longer the stun, point blank only last a second or less, a few seconds of cooldown on the target before he can be stunned again. Especially useful on ubered heavies if you can hit em on maximum distance (quite easy). Snipers will hug you if you hit people in their field of view.

Contrary to popular belief, you cannot whack balls back with another bat, the achievement related only need you to pick up an other thrown ball by an enemy scout and whack him with it.

No double jumping... is weird but manageable. There are a surprising few areas where you actually need to double jump, the biggest loss is jumping over other characters and changing direction midair but that can be partially replaced with force-a-nature.

EDIT: I forgot, you get a new KILLING TAUNT, related to "Out of the field/stadium" achievement. Slow as hell though.

*Bonk energy drink

Total invulnerability
    Takes a very brief vulnerable moment to drink (acts like a taunt)
    Easily restocked by ammocrates

One zipp and you can dodge anything, not just only bullets! (as far as I can tell). The view zooms out to 3rd person and you become a freaky blur of light but be prepared for the knockback, several turrets will keep you away from going anywhere. The slowdown afterwards makes you think twice before using it, even if it's just a few seconds. ONLY AFTER THE INVULNERABILITY HAS ENDED YOU MAY BEGIN CAPPIN CPs.

Works great for escaping if you can manage to stay out of site long enough to drink it, same for pushing through defences. However, a pursing scout WILL catch up with you and have a serious advantage when the effects wear off.

Overall, good and fun stuff.
    <!--quoteo(post=1701375:date=Feb 25 2009, 12:21 PM:name=SkulkBait)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkulkBait @ Feb 25 2009, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll hold off for a while then.

My mind still struggles to comprehend why vavle thought linking achievements to new items was a good idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://gib.me/sam/" target="_blank">http://gib.me/sam/</a>
    Thats sort of my point. Valve doesn't seem to care if you want to bypass actually doing the achievements, as evidenced by never having punished anyone for using achievement servers or this utility (as far as I know, feel free to correct*), so why tie the achievements to the items in the first place?

*I do recall some method of console manipulation to aquire the medic items that was fixed, and may have resulted in reset items for players who used it (memory fuzzy).
  • XythXyth Avatar Join Date: 2003-11-04 Member: 22312Members
    edited February 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1701380:date=Feb 25 2009, 01:39 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Svenpa @ Feb 25 2009, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This sunnova gun does not propel you up in the air depending how you are aiming it. The only way you fly from knockback, is back or nowhere. Does not add additional acceleration on a normal jump or double jump.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You must have been doing it wrong. I was able to triple jump by pointing it straight down. However only the first shell seems to knock you backwards. Also it ONLY propels you if you are in the air at the time of shooting.

Also, of all the unlocks Bonk seems the only useful one to me. The sandman is fun but ultimately a gimmick, same with force of nature. It's like a crappier scattergun without enough shots to kill anyone other then a low HP class.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited February 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1701392:date=Feb 25 2009, 02:33 PM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TychoCelchuuu @ Feb 25 2009, 02:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701392"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://gib.me/sam/" target="_blank">http://gib.me/sam/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The greatest thing is that with that program you can just unlock the Milestone achievements, thereby unlocking the weapons...
    So then all the other new achievements are still there and you can get them through normal play rather than grinding for items.

I do wonder how it works.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1701398:date=Feb 25 2009, 09:13 PM:name=Xyth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xyth @ Feb 25 2009, 09:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701398"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You must have been doing it wrong. I was able to triple jump by pointing it straight down. However only the first shell seems to knock you backwards. Also it ONLY propels you if you are in the air at the time of shooting.

Also, of all the unlocks Bonk seems the only useful one to me. The sandman is fun but ultimately a gimmick, same with force of nature. It's like a crappier scattergun without enough shots to kill anyone other then a low HP class.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Odd, I'll check it out again then.

Sandman is awesome, not only does it stun opponents but it also renders their cap blocking abilities useless. I capped last cp in well after whacking a ball on the sole heavy standing on it.

Force-a-nature, well, you have to use it properly. Get used to not getting a kill every time and knock people away from the CP when you are capping it etc.
    edited February 2009
    It also has an undocumented slowing effect (similar to Natasha, but obviously less powerful due to slower rate of fire), making it the perfect weapon against other scouts.

Does the distribution seem odd to people? A huge amount of achievements can only be completed with the unlockables, making the first ten a bit difficult to get. However, after the first ten, you only need another four for the next one (since you get one for free) and another four for the final one. Buh?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1701410:date=Feb 25 2009, 06:15 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lolfighter @ Feb 25 2009, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also has an undocumented slowing effect (similar to Natasha, but obviously less powerful due to slower rate of fire), making it the perfect weapon against other scouts.

Does the distribution seem odd to people? A huge amount of achievements can only be completed with the unlockables, making the first ten a bit difficult to get. However, after the first ten, you only need another four for the next one (since you get one for free) and another four for the final one. Buh?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Achievements are stupid. See Tycho's post.

I've been losing respect for Valve, as of late. :/
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    Achievements have been literally the only thing keeping me from playing TF2 this past... year since they were linked to unlocks. When I play FPS games, it's to get <i>away</i> from the grind of MMOs... I am very happy about Tycho's post. Now I will play again! and if I get bant, the worst thing that can happen is I stop playing again.
    <!--quoteo(post=1701412:date=Feb 25 2009, 06:46 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DiscoZombie @ Feb 25 2009, 06:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Achievements have been literally the only thing keeping me from playing TF2 this past... year since they were linked to unlocks. When I play FPS games, it's to get <i>away</i> from the grind of MMOs... I am very happy about Tycho's post. Now I will play again! and if I get bant, the worst thing that can happen is I stop playing again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    100% Agree.

I like the idea of achievements because they are neat things... It's like "wow, i really double jumped 1000 times?!"... but needing to do it to be on the same playing field as others is a stupid MMO style of gameplay.

I can't think of the right word, but that program unhinges/unlocks/separates/something the unlocks from the achievements. I can enjoy the achievements as a fun addition to the game, rather than this irritating task i must complete.
  • A_Boojum_SnarkA_Boojum_Snark Join Date: 2003-09-07 Member: 20628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1701396:date=Feb 25 2009, 01:59 PM:name=SkulkBait)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkulkBait @ Feb 25 2009, 01:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thats sort of my point. Valve doesn't seem to care if you want to bypass actually doing the achievements, as evidenced by never having punished anyone for using achievement servers or this utility (as far as I know, feel free to correct*), so why tie the achievements to the items in the first place?

*I do recall some method of console manipulation to aquire the medic items that was fixed, and may have resulted in reset items for players who used it (memory fuzzy).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1701403:date=Feb 25 2009, 04:19 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Psyke @ Feb 25 2009, 04:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701403"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The greatest thing is that with that program you can just unlock the Milestone achievements, thereby unlocking the weapons...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ehehehehe. <a href="http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293" target="_blank">http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293</a> *joins the announcer in maniacal laughter*
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1701422:date=Feb 25 2009, 08:06 PM:name=A_Boojum_Snark)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(A_Boojum_Snark @ Feb 25 2009, 08:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ehehehehe. <a href="http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293" target="_blank">http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2293</a> *joins the announcer in maniacal laughter*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Goddamnit Valve, I don't want to grind to enjoy my content. I want to periodically come home at the end of a long day and shoot people. There are plenty of <i>actually productive</i> things I do in my spare time. I don't need to have a <i>false feeling</i> of productivity to keep playing your game.
    Its official then: Unlocking achievements with external applications is forbidden. Unlocking with achievement servers however still appears to be acceptable. So in effect all valve has done is make it slightly more annoying to bypass their intended game play, which nobody seems to like anyway.

Has anybody ever heard an explanation for why they tie the new items to achievements? I honestly want to know what they're trying to accomplish because it doesn't make any sense to me.
    edited February 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1701425:date=Feb 25 2009, 08:17 PM:name=moultano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moultano @ Feb 25 2009, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701425"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Goddamnit Valve, I don't want to grind to enjoy my content. I want to periodically come home at the end of a long day and shoot people. There are plenty of <i>actually productive</i> things I do in my spare time. I don't need to have a <i>false feeling</i> of productivity to keep playing your game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh. Back to not playing TF2 for another 6 months or forever.
    Valve is -3 or -4 in my book right now.

Like, I'm actually pissed at how they're treating their customers with that blog.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1701427:date=Feb 25 2009, 08:30 PM:name=SkulkBait)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkulkBait @ Feb 25 2009, 08:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701427"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anybody ever heard an explanation for why they tie the new items to achievements? I honestly want to know what they're trying to accomplish because it doesn't make any sense to me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They've learned that reward schedules like this addict people to games as proved by MMOs, regardless of whether they are having any fun. The hope is that it will lengthen the lifespan of the online community for the game, and they'll sell more copies.
    <!--quoteo(post=1701429:date=Feb 25 2009, 08:34 PM:name=moultano)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moultano @ Feb 25 2009, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1701429"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They've learned that reward schedules like this addict people to games as proved by MMOs, regardless of whether they are having any fun. The hope is that it will lengthen the lifespan of the online community for the game, and they'll sell more copies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. I thought Valve designed for fun, not for addiction. I was wrong.