New Hl2 Screenshots

Comments

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    And to everyone complaining about "nitpicky stuff that you won't notice when you play," there's some stuff you don't notice and some stuff you do. You're not going to notice that, say, the bullets don't fall if you're fighting in close quarters, but you actually WILL notice those trivial lighting things when whole models are dark or light for no reason. Remember the tram video when once it got 50% under shadow the whole tram changed from light to dark? Yeah, it didn't seem so annoying in Half-Life 1 but it's going to be a little detracting once you've trained yourself on Doom 3 or something.
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I certainly noticed a difference between Hitman / Max Payne, both of which use kinetic bullets, and Half-Life.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you elaborate?

For max payne, the benefits are obvious. How would HL2 benefit from them?
  • EEKEEK Join Date: 2004-02-25 Member: 26898Banned
    What the hell is with everyone crying about Doom 3's storyline? You guys either 1) Never played it, which I believe a lot of you haven't and just make crap up, or 2) Skipped 90% of the game and cheated through it. Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better.

(Spoilers - but I don't care if I spoil it for you)

Half-Life 1 story:

Big accident opened a dimensional breach. You keep seeing a mysterious ugly guy with a briefcase. Fight your way out for X hours. At the very end, you talk to the gman and learn that the experiment was intentional and that he works for the aliens, and now you are too, or else he'll kill you.

Doom 3 story:

Experiments with teleportation opened a gate and demons escape. You need to fight your way out to survive. You learn over the course of the game that the teleportation projects have been going on for some time, and that adventures into hell have been standard, but it's causing dementia and psychosis in people. You also learn about the alien artifacts, and that the mysterious ugly guy is Doctor Bertruger, and towards the end you discover that he used an artifact to enter into hell and gain satanic powers, but it opened a breach between the dimensions, allowing the damned to enter.

The difference? Not only was Doom3's story actually BETTER, but it was presented throughout the entire game, not in a 10 minute cutscene at the very beginning and very end of the game. I could cut out 95% of half-life and still retain the story. Cutting out 95% of D3 would eliminate most of it.
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-UKchaos+Oct 1 2004, 05:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UKchaos @ Oct 1 2004, 05:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I certainly noticed a difference between Hitman / Max Payne, both of which use kinetic bullets, and Half-Life.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Could you elaborate?

For max payne, the benefits are obvious. How would HL2 benefit from them? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    With a physics engine that's being superhyped, a kinetic bullet object would be able to create realistic ricochets, you'd have MUCH more realistic ragdoll deaths, the most obvious implementation of them arcing of range (I have a video of a car being eaten by a minigun and the tracers arc into the ground, it's very sexy looking), and could even create bullet fragments that fall to the ground when hitting solid steel or something. Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both.
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What the hell is with everyone crying about Doom 3's storyline? You guys either 1) Never played it, which I believe a lot of you haven't and just make crap up, or 2) Skipped 90% of the game and cheated through it. Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But answer my question. Why bother comparing them in the first place? Cant you just enjoy either or both of them and let that be the end of it?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->With a physics engine that's being superhyped, a kinetic bullet object would be able to create realistic ricochets, you'd have MUCH more realistic ragdoll deaths, and could even create bullet fragments that fall to the ground when hitting solid steel or something. Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But the current ragdolls and bullet effects are more than adequet. Theres no point making something more reaslitic just for the sake of it. If the player isnt gonna notice, why bother? If maxpayne didnt use bullet time, it could quite easily get away with using hitscan.
    <!--QuoteBegin-UKchaos+Oct 1 2004, 05:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UKchaos @ Oct 1 2004, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> But answer my question. Why bother comparing them in the first place? Cant you just enjoy either or both of them and let that be the end of it? <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What the hell are you talking about? You asked me first.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-EEK+Oct 1 2004, 10:57 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EEK @ Oct 1 2004, 10:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What the hell is with everyone crying about Doom 3's storyline? You guys either 1) Never played it, which I believe a lot of you haven't and just make crap up, or 2) Skipped 90% of the game and cheated through it. Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better.

(Spoilers - but I don't care if I spoil it for you)

Half-Life 1 story:

Big accident opened a dimensional breach. You keep seeing a mysterious ugly guy with a briefcase. Fight your way out for X hours. At the very end, you talk to the gman and learn that the experiment was intentional and that he works for the aliens, and now you are too, or else he'll kill you.

Doom 3 story:

Experiments with teleportation opened a gate and demons escape. You need to fight your way out to survive. You learn over the course of the game that the teleportation projects have been going on for some time, and that adventures into hell have been standard, but it's causing dementia and psychosis in people. You also learn about the alien artifacts, and that the mysterious ugly guy is Doctor Bertruger, and towards the end you discover that he used an artifact to enter into hell and gain satanic powers, but it opened a breach between the dimensions, allowing the damned to enter.

The difference? Not only was Doom3's story actually BETTER, but it was presented throughout the entire game, not in a 10 minute cutscene at the very beginning and very end of the game. I could cut out 95% of half-life and still retain the story. Cutting out 95% of D3 would eliminate most of it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So..... Doom 3's storyline is, in essence, a portal opens up, bad things come through, fight your way to the end.
    edited October 2004
    Sure, the same way Half-life's story is 'An accident happened, bad things teleport in, fight your way through, the end.

Which is why it pisses me off when people are saying Half-life had a better story then doom 3 - they obviously didn't play doom 3, or more likely, they're too fricken' dumb to even pick up half the plot from the various movies, talking to infured people, etc. you get in Doom 3. Half-life forcefed you the story. You couldn't 'skip' part of it because it was all revealed at the end.
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What the hell are you talking about? You asked me first. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was refering to a previous post i made, i've edited my last post to clarify.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> So..... Doom 3's storyline is, in essence, a portal opens up, bad things come through, fight your way to the end.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Sure, the same way Half-life's story is 'An accident happened, bad things teleport in, fight your way through, the end<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so essentially...you just cancelled out your own point EEK.
    DOOM3's storyline is so unique and different, because its nothing like Half-life 1's storyline whatsoever. oh-no.
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-UKchaos+Oct 1 2004, 05:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (UKchaos @ Oct 1 2004, 05:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> What the hell is with everyone crying about Doom 3's storyline? You guys either 1) Never played it, which I believe a lot of you haven't and just make crap up, or 2) Skipped 90% of the game and cheated through it. Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better.

But answer my question. Why bother comparing them in the first place? Cant you just enjoy either or both of them and let that be the end of it?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->With a physics engine that's being superhyped, a kinetic bullet object would be able to create realistic ricochets, you'd have MUCH more realistic ragdoll deaths, and could even create bullet fragments that fall to the ground when hitting solid steel or something. Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But the current ragdolls and bullet effects are more than adequet. Theres no point making something more reaslitic just for the sake of it. If the player isnt gonna notice, why bother? If maxpayne didnt use bullet time, it could quite easily get away with using hitscan. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Because it's better in every way. In a generic room-after-room FPS game sure you won't notice. But a kinetic bullet object can:

1) Ricochet realistically
    2) Be affected by gravity (HL2 is advertised as having huge outdoor areas, is it not?)
    3) More realistic ragdoll deaths
    4) Accurately punch through objects capable of being pierced.
    5) Have minor flight variations from said punching.
    6) Realistically resemble bullets going through a medium
    7) Neater bullet effects (Imagine in CS:S having a few slugs in your kevlar vest)

Hitscan works fine for something like Half-Life 1. Ever see Saving Private Ryan? With the bullets going through the water? That's not something you can do with hitscan, it IS something you can do with kinetic objects.

Hell, you could even have bullets hit each other in midair.
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-supernorn2000+Oct 1 2004, 06:15 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (supernorn2000 @ Oct 1 2004, 06:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> so essentially...you just cancelled out your own point EEK. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you can't read, maybe.

In response to your edit, stickman was just being an idiot. Whatever point he was making, he's basically summing up D3's plot by eliminating 90% of what I said about it, so I did the same for half-life. The story itself is more or less similar between the two. But Doom3's was present a LOT better then Half-Life's was, and it just interacted with the player a lot better.
  • panda_de_malheureuxpanda_de_malheureux Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24775Members
    edited October 2004
    Answer <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How would you tell the difference when bullets travel so fast anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bullets in Max Payne and Hitman and [UGH I WANT TO KILL THE MAKERS OF THIS GAME] Conflict Vietnam travel slower than they would in real life. They are not bullets, they are gravity defying damage points. If they acted like actual bullets, well then there would be no need for them. And that is why HL2 does not use that pos system.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1) Ricochet realistically
    2) Be affected by gravity (HL2 is advertised as having huge outdoor areas, is it not?)
    7) Neater bullet effects (Imagine in CS:S having a few slugs in your kevlar vest)

1) Not needed.
    2) Slightly needed, the guns on the vehicles are very strong and so shoot very fast, the affect from gravity will be minimal.
    3) explained below
    4) Not needed.
    5) -
    6) - The only medium I have seen monsters/enemies in is air.
    7) You can do that with hitscan too.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Well you sir are a hypocrite. Half-Life has been praised for its storyline many many times. I am not going to do the research and tell you it for you, you can do that yourself. Both games have good storylines. The fact of the matter is you don't really care about the story anymore after you have killed your millionth Imp.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->a kinetic bullet object would be able to create realistic ricochets<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Name 1 game that uses richochets.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->you'd have MUCH more realistic ragdoll deaths<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Just because 1 of the 20 bullets I shot from my shotgun actually hit that barrel next to him and will send him flying slightly sideways? Noone cares. Richochets are not needed.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Yeah and HL2 still uses conventional physics. I mean COME ON, WIND RESISTANCE PEOPLE!!!??? WHAT IS THIS 2004 WHERE NOBODY CARES?
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    Fight Fight Fight Fight!

As far as I am concerned, any details that add to the game that <i>I would be able to notice</i> are welcome. But if it is something that you won't really notice or care about and it has no true benefits then forget it.

And I LIKED the doom 3 storyline, even if it was silly. But I played it just because it was doom, not specifically for a good storyline.
    edited October 2004
    Shouldn't you be... frying something, 91x?

I'll humor you anyway. I'll use small words too.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Answer <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> How would you tell the difference when bullets travel so fast anyway?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The bullets in Max Payne and Hitman and [UGH I WANT TO KILL THE MAKERS OF THIS GAME] Conflict Vietnam travel slower than they would in real life. They are not bullets, they are gravity defying damage points. If they acted like actual bullets, well then there would be no need for them. And that is why HL2 does not use that pos system. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And? You can easilly speed them up. Have you ever seen tracers in real life? Have you even watched <b>CNN</b>, you know, when the war in Iraq was a week old? Or how about the 1990's bombings of Iraq? You can see the tracers slowly arcing into the sky, conflicts between soldiers on nightvision you can see the bullets arc slightly upwards and then down to their target. Bullets in real life aren't a fricken' laser gun you can tag someone with at any range and hit them.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->1) Ricochet realistically

1) Not needed.
    2) Slightly needed, the guns on the vehicles are very strong and so shoot very fast, the affect from gravity will be minimal.
    3) explained below
    4) Not needed.
    5) -
    6) - The only medium I have seen monsters/enemies in is air.
    7) You can do that with hitscan too.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can all go home, 91x has filled this thread with its idiocy quota for the day.

I cannot address a single one of your silly 'counterpoints' with anything other then disbelief. Ricochets? For one, HL1 used ricochets on the Gauss Gun you idiot. Secondly, HL is the home of pseudo-realistic mods like Counter-Strike is it not? They'd happily put in realistic object piercing (this includes people too you tart) and ricochets if ricochet code on hitscan wasn't so stupid.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Doom3's was presented far better then HL1's storyline and was a hell of a lot better...<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Well you sir are a hypocrite. Half-Life has been praised for its storyline many many times. I am not going to do the research and tell you it for you, you can do that yourself. Both games have good storylines. The fact of the matter is you don't really care about the story anymore after you have killed your millionth Imp.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And you still cared after you shotgunned your millionth incompetent grunt?

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->a kinetic bullet object would be able to create realistic ricochets<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Name 1 game that uses richochets.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->you'd have MUCH more realistic ragdoll deaths<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Just because 1 of the 20 bullets I shot from my shotgun actually hit that barrel next to him and will send him flying slightly sideways? Noone cares. Richochets are not needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"u r dum"

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Yeah and HL2 still uses conventional physics. I mean COME ON, WIND RESISTANCE PEOPLE!!!??? WHAT IS THIS 2004 WHERE NOBODY CARES?<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A good point - ballitic objects for bullets would also be affected by wind and such.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Cold-NiTe+Oct 1 2004, 06:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Cold-NiTe @ Oct 1 2004, 06:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Fight Fight Fight Fight!

As far as I am concerned, any details that add to the game that <i>I would be able to notice</i> are welcome. But if it is something that you won't really notice or care about and it has no true benefits then forget it.

And I LIKED the doom 3 storyline, even if it was silly. But I played it just because it was doom, not specifically for a good storyline. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I liked them both too. I just liked Doom3's more, because I could explore the story througout the entire game. I just find it rediculous that people who have obviously never played the game are talking **** about it. There's people that **** about monsters teleporting in behind you in doom 3. I can think of plenty of times that same damn thing happened in HL1. Hell, HL1 had unlimited respawning enemies in a couple places too.

And just because something is 'praised for having a good story' doesn't make them right. As I recall, Harry Potter books are praised for being good too. I tried reading one and the fact that you need an IQ in double digits to enjoy it pretty much turned me off it
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Because it's better in every way. In a generic room-after-room FPS game sure you won't notice. But a kinetic bullet object can:

1) Ricochet realistically

Hitscan works fine for something like Half-Life 1. Ever see Saving Private Ryan? With the bullets going through the water? That's not something you can do with hitscan, it IS something you can do with kinetic objects.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Again, realism for the sake of realism. Your not saying how it would enhance the player's experience. Why go to the trouble to making things perfectly realistic when you make it look just fine for a far cheaper cpu cost.

Somtimes its better not to be realistic. If your effect is controlled by a code routine and not the laws of physics, you have far more control over it.
  • panda_de_malheureuxpanda_de_malheureux Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24775Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I tried reading one and the fact that you need an IQ in double digits to enjoy it pretty much turned me off it<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So you're saying that you don't have an IQ in the double digits? LOL
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-version91x+Oct 1 2004, 06:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (version91x @ Oct 1 2004, 06:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I tried reading one and the fact that you need an IQ in double digits to enjoy it pretty much turned me off it<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So you're saying that you don't have an IQ in the double digits? LOL <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes I am saying my IQ isn't in double digits. I'll leave you puzzle out this Rubrik's Cube yourself, Hawking.
  • Crono5Crono5 Join Date: 2003-07-22 Member: 18357Members
    edited October 2004
    <!--QuoteBegin-version91x+Oct 1 2004, 06:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (version91x @ Oct 1 2004, 06:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Well you sir are a hypocrite. Half-Life has been praised for its storyline many many times. I am not going to do the research and tell you it for you, you can do that yourself. Both games have good storylines. The fact of the matter is you don't really care about the story anymore after you have killed your millionth Imp.

Name 1 game that uses richochets.

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Hitscan and hitboxes are ancient, and Hl2 uses both. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd--> Yeah and HL2 still uses conventional physics. I mean COME ON, WIND RESISTANCE PEOPLE!!!??? WHAT IS THIS 2004 WHERE NOBODY CARES? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't care much for Half-Life after my 20th Alien Slave, especially since simply shooting it isn't half as much fun as it is in Doom 3, and one billionth as much fun as Painkiller.

Ricochet uses ricochets, silly!

Somehow, comparing something technologically improveable like the use of hitscan and hitboxes to a natural phenomenon like physics doesn't seem quite right, it probably has something to do with it making no sense.

I myself would say that HL uses both ancient methods to help with scalability and lag, and possibly to help mod porting.

EDIT: Gah, I've been beaten. Oh well, I'll leave this up for...

Reference purposes...
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    p.s. IQ can go above 99.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin-EEK+Oct 2 2004, 12:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (EEK @ Oct 2 2004, 12:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> As I recall, Harry Potter books are praised for being good too. I tried reading one and the fact that you need an IQ in double digits to enjoy it pretty much turned me off it <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And its at this point that all credibility towards EEK fades...
    edited October 2004
    I thought it just got a major boost?

EDIT: This must mean we have differing opinions! Alas! :P
    Oh, for those of you saying 'people wouldn't care' (And I know damn well realism gurus that prowl around these forums will agree with me that kinetic bullets will allow for so much more), why don't you explain to me why they invented bump mapping, ragdolls, high res textures, and all that? They don't affect gameplay, and obviously then people don't care, right?

Games like DOD and Counter-Strike would benefit a LOT from kinetic object bullets.
    edited October 2004
    Yes the IQ can but I just don't see it that way. The whole "I tried reading a Harry Potter Book" thing, he sounds like he's in the lower part of the spectrum.

lots of people posting, will move edit into new post.
  • Cold_NiTeCold_NiTe Join Date: 2003-09-15 Member: 20875Members
    OH MY GOD THIS THREAD IS GROWING AT AN INCREDIBLE RATE. MAYBE WE CAN POWER A CITY OFF OF IT. OR MY CAPS LOCK KEY.
    <!--QuoteBegin-version91x+Oct 1 2004, 06:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (version91x @ Oct 1 2004, 06:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yes the IQ can but I just don't see it that way. The whole "I tried reading a Harry Potter Book" thing, he sounds like he's in the lower part of the spectrum. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Confucius says you may want to calm down a little
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    I guess we could always say 'this book makes a tastey sandwich' or something.
    <!--QuoteBegin-version91x+Oct 1 2004, 06:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (version91x @ Oct 1 2004, 06:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Yes the IQ can but I just don't see it that way. The whole "I tried reading a Harry Potter Book" thing, he sounds like he's in the lower part of the spectrum. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, I couldn't stand that someone has made millions of dollars writing like an ape.

"Harry stood up on the chair. Hermoine said, "Harry be careful!" in a shaky voice. Harry reached up and grabbed the bulb. He twisted it."

That's what the writing is like. It's terrible. I'm sure there's a good story somewhere in there but the presentation was horrendous when I know I could write literary circles around this woman.
    edited October 2004
This discussion has been closed.