VR MODE. - A question to the Devs

BeddallBeddall Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242829Members
Will you be fixing the VR experience? It's currently on the Oculus store for £18.99 as a VR game in Early Access... which I feel is a bit misleading as the VR experience is "Broken" to say the least, and devs have commented that the game is complete. There is no way that this is a £18.99 VR experience... it's a good pancake game but anyone paying £18.99 for VR is going to be sorely disappointed. I bought the game as soon as it went on Early Access on steam but I have waited til I got a Oculus Rift to play it... and I too am very disappointed. You only need to see the Oculus store reviews for confirmation of this.

Basically the game has had VR bolted on as a Minimum Viable Product. It's in no way implemented with any polish or actual design or optimisation for VR. It's purely to get the VR compatible Logo on the Steam storefront to drive more sales.. and to be able to sell the game through the Oculus store

Could the devs please issue a comment on this as many people are not happy with the VR experience, which many bought the game for. is it getting updated?

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Beddall wrote: »
    Will you be fixing the VR experience? It's currently on the Oculus store for £18.99 as a VR game in Early Access... which I feel is a bit misleading as the VR experience is "Broken" to say the least, and devs have commented that the game is complete. There is no way that this is a £18.99 VR experience... it's a good pancake game but anyone paying £18.99 for VR is going to be sorely disappointed. I bought the game as soon as it went on Early Access on steam but I have waited til I got a Oculus Rift to play it... and I too am very disappointed. You only need to see the Oculus store reviews for confirmation of this.

Basically the game has had VR bolted on as a Minimum Viable Product. It's in no way implemented with any polish or actual design or optimisation for VR. It's purely to get the VR compatible Logo on the Steam storefront to drive more sales.. and to be able to sell the game through the Oculus store

Could the devs please issue a comment on this as many people are not happy with the VR experience, which many bought the game for. is it getting updated?

1) Early Access does not mean no bugs are present. It actually theres more bugs than the full game.
    2) We pay 20 dollars for the base game. You get the base game with VR on steam.
    3) Assuming it is only using VR to get the VR Steam Tag is incorrect. VR is outdated and unupdated on the game. They're working on fixing it, but you must give them much more time.
    4) Devs most of the time cannot comment or do not respond, but it's best to wait for the Almighty Obraxis to respond.
    5) While many did buy the game for VR, I wouldn't suggest playing that first, but that's me. You do you.
  • BeddallBeddall Join Date: 2018-08-13 Member: 242829Members
    edited August 2018
    Hey,

1. The comment about it being in early access was made because the devs on here have stated that the game is COMPLETE. Also, the game came out of Early Access on Steam and has been fully released. It's on the Oculus store as Early Access still, but as far as anyone knows .. the VR isn't being worked on ( seeing as the devs refuse to answer any questions regarding VR). So how is it a Early Access title still? That in itself seems very misleading to Oculus store users.

2. It's £18.99 on Oculus store in UK which is slightly more than $20 probably, but doesn't really excuse the fact that it's quite an expensive VR game that isn't even fully developed for VR and no one seems to be able to answer to whether it is still being developed for VR. The only news about new features for the game are the upcoming expansion and the bug fixes they are bringing over from the console ports.

3. It is using VR to get published on the Oculus store.. there is no denying that. We can only ASSUME that they are working on fixing it... but how can we even assume that when they haven't indicated in any way that it will be further updated.

5. I played the pancake version for a few hours each time at different stages of development and really liked it. but it would be much better in VR... so I'd rather wait for a proper VR release to experience it that way first hand. I really wish I could go back and experience Skyrim for the first time in VR... I don't want to make the same mistake with this game. .. if that's ever going to be possible.

thanks for your input
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2018
    We're hoping to do some VR fixes once we've updated the engine to Unity 2018. A number of us on the team have VR headsets and want to get it working better. I can't say any dates, but it's something we want to do.
  • isilverskeletonisilverskeleton Tinley Park, IL Join Date: 2019-01-23 Member: 249213Members
    I know im a little late to the party, but im glad to hear you guys are working on it.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    There's some VR fixes in the mod department which should help, meantime.
  • CochonouCochonou France Join Date: 2019-01-19 Member: 249024Members
    No plans for PSVR, though ? I understand that the performance of the game on PS4 needs to be improved first...
  • BleifreiBleifrei Germany Join Date: 2019-01-29 Member: 249615Members
    Beddall wrote: »

Can you tell what exactly was the problem? You just write that the game is "Broken" but what does that mean exactly? I have 4 different VR-Systems and only Pimax5k is unplayable due to rendering issues. With oculus rift there was no problem for me even while on early access. I just wished for better performance but steam is full of worse games with even worse performance. For one of the earliest "real" games to have VR support I think this is still a good job, considering the VR user base has absolutely no significance at all right now. There is also to consider how many devs there are with UnknownWorlds, not really much comparatively.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yeah, like UWE was about 20 devs, maybe 40 now. Maybe.
  • gonzaxpaingonzaxpain spain Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249758Members
    For what it's worth, I finished subnautica in VR from start to finish using Touch controllers (which I had to totally reconfigure) and it was one of the best videogaming experiences I've ever had. It's true it has a few problems: you can't rename beacons, the UI could be better and some other minor things but nothing major and certainly far from broken, it was amazing.
    I couldn't play this game any other way than in VR, I just hope Below Zero will receive the same treatment, it was honestly brilliant. The feeling of immersion (no pun intended) was fantastic.
  • ChrisH1978ChrisH1978 Join Date: 2019-02-26 Member: 251362Members
    I realise it's probably Sony making demands about consistency and frame rate for PSVR and I see their point; but I would buy the game for a third time to play it in VR :D I really want a VR version of my favourite game...