Base building seems badly bugged

DroidlingDroidling Join Date: 2017-10-26 Member: 233723Members
I've gotten pretty good at base building over the last year. There have always been issues, but the release build seems to make it very difficult to place base components.

One long standing issue is that once you place any other base component it is impossible to turn the orientation of a moonpool when attaching it. the other non symetrcal base components can be turned at 90 degree intervals using the mouse wheel. Not the moonpool. I had to start over and place the moon pool first to get it to turn the direction I needed.

Placing the moonpool was nearly impossible. Perhaps it is where I'm building. I'm trying to put a base in the top of a large mushroom. I understand that the first part of a base needs to be supported by something. when placing the moonpool it seemed like the mushroom caps were not being detected. having one leg on a branch did allow me to place it, unfortunately another leg came down and attached to the hit box above the mushroom cap leaving it hanging in the water. It was not that far I've seen the supports extend much further. it was more like it thought there was something there.

I added a corridor and MPR to the Moonpool. When I tried adding some foundations under the moonpool to make it easy to dock the PRAWN I couldn't place anything near it. I went to place foundations to put grow beds on and there was no place adjacent to the base I could put them. I found a spot a little distance away and place one foundation, Then I could build foundations back towards the existing base components, and even underneath them, in places that had shown as red before.

If you place a foundation under an existing part of the base it can't be deconstructed. I could understand if the compartment on top couldn't exist without the underlying foundation. in this case the compartment was already there.

I've placed Flood lights on mushroom caps fairly far from the base and had them light. In other places the floods have been much nearer but would not power up. Using power transmitters get power to them was even more confusing.

It seems pretty random where base parts are allowed to be built. I suspect this is because the logic that governs their placement has been modified so many times and is spread through out multiple code objects. there really needs to be some kind of central logic governing how base components fit together, and how they interact with terrain, power, and other objects. That logic needs to be documented so the player has a consistent interface.

Comments

• kramolakramola Kyyv, Ukraine Join Date: 2015-10-20 Member: 208611Members
    That's why i asked ByteWolfGaming to create a console command mod as a temporary/hard cases solution in a RocketCommands Mod thread. He already made nice progress!
  • VahalVahal wandering in my dear Seamoth Join Date: 2018-01-12 Member: 234986Members
    The moonpool is a real problem. Its legs tend to pop out event if there is absolutely nothing below which is a pain in the ass when you want a slick "belly" to easier docking.
    And yeah placing parts can be irritating to say the least. Playing some survival builder like Space Engineer I'm used to place parts quite easily, being able to move them close or away from me, above or below... Building my first base was... painful. Strangely, my moon pool didn't have legs. The second one I built next to the first strangely had one. I removed the moon pool, rebuilt it, and leg came back... with a sister.

Another time, I wanted to place a foundation just above a thermal vent and finally gave up after twenty minutes messing around it almost drowning my poor guy in the process. I finally placed my thermal plant directly on the thermal vent, this looked bad but I didn't gave a fuck anymore.

Sometime parts move like they are on a grid, sometime that floats around freely... after 200 hours i'm still quite lost about how it works.
  • DroidlingDroidling Join Date: 2017-10-26 Member: 233723Members
    I've built bases in the mushroom forest before. I've built small to huge bases. I've built on the floating island, inside the entrance to primary containment, and pretty much everywhere between. The release build just seems to be worse.
  • SchwarzwindSinSchwarzwindSin NY, NY Join Date: 2016-11-28 Member: 224310Members
    Whether it's badly bugged and/or far too prohibitive, base building for me has become.... somewhat unpleasant, to say the least. The stern building restrictions are frustrating (usually can't add windows or reinforcements to a wall if something is nearby it, Moonpool and Foundation headaches, ect), and the addition of dozens of support legs on each building piece that smother not only the base, but surrounding landscape as well have become my biggest pet peeve in the game.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2018
    Check this mod thread out (see below for pics)
    re81dn74rn4v.png
    gv56lo1owhhb.png

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Until the mod is out, or for any it isn't an option for, you can tell what direction the moonpool will be by the markings on the platform. The Seamoth/Prawn will face the same direction as the large gray portion. In the picture above, the front is the top-right corner of the picture.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    How to place your Moonpool correctly:
    EUREKA! Ok so if anyone else happens across this post with moonpool placement issues, I have found a bit of a work around of sorts so you will always be able to connect the moonpool on the short end side every time. You have to pay attention to how you place your platforms. So you place a few platforms down, then a gen room. The moonpool will only end connect when building off the side of the platform with the grey patch, or the opposite side. Another way to tell , at least off the gen room, is that it will only end connect on the side of the gen room with the little notches on the roof of the gen room. So if you want your moonpool to end connect, orient the side of the platform with the grey patch to point where you want the MP. The deck handles can be considered the direction for connecting on the long side. Also, think of the MPs roof decoration as an arrow to indicate launch direction of the seamoth.
    331g39y.jpg
    My madness knows no bounds.

• CaptNemoCaptNemo Nautilus Join Date: 2018-10-03 Member: 243934Members
    that or build the moonpool first