Cyclops changes.

MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members Posts: 81 Advanced user
The Cyclops was changed dramatically in the Silent Running update. Whilst cosmetic changes have mostly been applauded, the fact that it may now be damaged and LOST has caused concern.

Please vote on the option you would like to see moving forward. I thought of adding whether or not we should be able to lose the Cyclops entirely but perhaps that ought to be a separate poll.

Gaming since they were loaded via cassette tape.
From Wallasey, UK to Los Angeles, USA.

http://www.IanMWalker.com

Cyclops changes. 67 votes

Revert the Cyclops to invulnerability.
8%
Casual_PlayerBossblasterScelousSquonkCharaXPYun 6 votes
Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
65%
zetachronRequiemfangTescoBagMyrmElaviongunmetal563Enderguy059Alex93090cdaragornBengan65PauoloRezcaGoretogJamezorgSkopeHerugrimKapanator13enragedcamelcy4nIlexLegion 44 votes
Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
25%
Squeal_Like_A_PigFluffersRainstormbwc153AvimimusHYBRID1313SansTheSkelebroDrownedOutTarkannenSnailsAttackscifiwriterguyAnomalyDetectedL4NDSL1DEGreyfairermatijas_06CerebeusSherLuc 17 votes
«1

Comments

  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,061 Advanced user
    edited April 2017
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    That last poll option sounds so biased haha xD
    But, I can understand where you're coming from. This is a big deal to you, like the Rock Puncher is to many others and the messing up the ILZ is to me.



    I think there should be a balance. Much closer to Option #2 but not entirely forsaking Option #1 either - it can still be wore down over long periods of time, but a single boneshark should be entirely ignorable unless you're at like 3% health and that tiny sliver it'll do over a few rounds of being annoying might actually be enough to push it over the limit. Any healthier than that and you're safe to pretend it's not even there.


    That said, does anyone know what the Salvage Wrecks feature in the video meant? Does it mean you can recover the stuff you had onboard, or just recover a part of the building materials? Did it mean something else?
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

    MichloCaptainFearless
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members Posts: 623 Advanced user
    edited April 2017
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    It's probably getting late in development for this, but if UWE wanted to have the player feel vulnerable in the Cyclops, perhaps there should have been more threats scaled to its level of toughness.

    It's certainly no where as tough as it would be by any realistic consideration, so this fragility is obviously gameplay trumping reality. From watching a video of the Cyclops under the new release, I think it might be tough enough to get by, but it still may not be tough enough for playing the game without excessive care. I will have to progress in my own new game to the Cyclops and play with it a while to be sure.
    The 'e' is silent. BRING BACK "Great job not dying." !!!
    Rezca
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members Posts: 1,179 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    Personally, I like what they have done to the Cyclops. To be perfectly honest, I don't think that's it that big of a stretch for a Boneshark to rip apart the hull of the Cyclops.

    I mean, look at these guys' teeth

    jgg4oa5k17dy.jpg

    That's going to cause some damage.

    However, I think that that damage is a little too much. I think a simple solution would be to lower the amount of damage a Boneshark (Or any mid-size predator) can inflict on the Cyclops.
    I've been skulking around here for almost four years.

    Yet I still have no idea what's going on.
    Rezca0x6A7232
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,061 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    Skope wrote: »
    Personally, I like what they have done to the Cyclops. To be perfectly honest, I don't think that's it that big of a stretch for a Boneshark to rip apart the hull of the Cyclops.

    I mean, look at these guys' teeth

    jgg4oa5k17dy.jpg

    That's going to cause some damage.

    However, I think that that damage is a little too much. I think a simple solution would be to lower the amount of damage a Boneshark (Or any mid-size predator) can inflict on the Cyclops.

    Agreed - them doing damage to it is believable, I mean they are alien fauna so the thought they could do damage than isn't too big of a stretch. However how much damage they're doing - especially alone and not in a swarm - is questionable. I'd say either increase the damage resistance or boost its health pool some. Although, they might keep it like that to give you reason to invest in Hull Reinforcement.... :/
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

    0x6A7232
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members Posts: 614 Advanced user
    Maybe add a Hull Hardening Upgrade that significantly reduces sub-Leviathan creature class attack damage.
    0x6A7232bwc153
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members Posts: 402 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    Wimps ;)
    RezcaTarkannenSansTheSkelebro
  • GreyfairerGreyfairer Join Date: 2017-04-24 Member: 229937Members Posts: 16 Fully active user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    I wish there was an option that fell somewhere between 2 and 3. I would agree with Rezca that the midsized creatures should still do damage, but perhaps scaled down a bit.
    Rezca
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members Posts: 1,050 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Wimps ;)

    All you kidz have it so easy these days!
    In my yung' days we had no such fancy things like cyclopses ..... and seamouths ...
    We had to swim barefoot in da midnight sea and wrestle with them boneshurks'

    Weapons? bahh! weapuns were not yet invented in mah old dayz, we wrestled barehanded and gave kicks 'n punches!
    Ha! did we teach 'em sandsharks who were bosses 'round heare!
    I remember one day i went head to head vith a stalker, poor sod thought it could chew on mah leg!
    Teach him a lesson i sure did, i punched it in da mouth and broke him 2 tooth i sure did! took one as a knife and sliced myself a steak chunk i ate for supper that day ..... boy that sure was the good ol' days back then!

    ''Pa, its time to take yer medicine, you're rambling off again!''
    ''what?! in my young days we didnt had those fancy pills, we had to walk 12 miles in da woods to find those herbs ourselves ....''

    RezcaCasual_PlayerTarkannenSkope
  • HYBRID1313HYBRID1313 Australia Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215179Members Posts: 332 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    Everyone wants it to be so easy -_-
    RezcaTarkannen
  • enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members Posts: 9 Fully active user
    edited April 2017
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    Here's the problem with the Cyclops now: it's super tedious to operate compared to before, and offers no unique benefit.

    There aren't any situations where you say, "gosh, I wish I had a Cyclops."

    I mean really, the PRAWN suit has a higher maximum depth. So what's the point of building a Cyclops? Sure, it can repair PRAWNs and Seamoths docked in it, but you can do that yourself using the Repair Tool.

    If it's supposed to be a deep-sea mining vessel, maybe you can make it so that it auto-collects minerals as you pass by them, or gains the ability to burrow into the ocean floor to prospect for new mineral veins (and it would make sense doing so would make nearby creatures aggressive, since it potentially destroys their habitat).

    The current design is bad though. Really, really bad. I don't see myself building any in my new games.
    Michlo
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members Posts: 23 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    So far I've had to really, really try hard to get the Cyclops into serious trouble. There's no way I would call it fragile against anything but a Sea Dragon. I had to chase a Reaper and a pack of Bonesharks around at Ahead Flank to get them to keep attacking my Cyclops so I could see it destroyed!

    The Bonesharks did a better job but I can't see a regular gameplay situation right now above the Lava Zones that is dangerous enough to sink your Cyclops.

    Bumping the terrain causes more damage to the Cyclops than most creature attacks at 47-100 damage a bump! 47 at Silent Running speed, 100 at Ahead Flank straight into a wall. 47 damage is ahead of every predator but the Reaper and the Sea Dragon...so try not to lose your paint too often. ;)
    0x6A7232
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,061 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    Here's the problem with the Cyclops now: it's super tedious to operate compared to before, and offers no unique benefit.

    There aren't any situations where you say, "gosh, I wish I had a Cyclops."

    I mean really, the PRAWN suit has a higher maximum depth. So what's the point of building a Cyclops? Sure, it can repair PRAWNs and Seamoths docked in it, but you can do that yourself using the Repair Tool.

    It's main unique benefit is that it can serve as a mobile base. How much can you store on your exosuit compared to the dozens of lockers and the planters you can put on the cyclops? It can recharge your other vehicles too, so you don't waste that energy walking your exosuit from your base to the beginning of the ILZ/ALZ. That's its main point right now.

    The Cyclops is pretty much optional yeah, unless they implement a gating method like some extreme current or such that only the Cyclops can pass through or make it required for something, but its benefit over the seamoth and exosuit currently is just that It's a mobile base. The seamoth is for fast and early exploration, the exosuit is for drilling materials and endgame exploration.

    If you don't see any need for that mobile base, nobody's (currently) forcing you to make it. I usually build it just to ferry huge amounts of resources from my initial base to my next one or hauling them back from expeditions from the Dunes or Mountains without wasting numerous trips in the slow exosuit or the vulnerable seamoth.
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

    MichloJackeTarkannen
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members Posts: 1,091 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    Nicely biased third option.

    I don't want to be roped into any Cyclops talk until I have properly investigated everything, but I do have some agreement that the attacks by small fishes need to be rebalanced because numbers are proving a bigger problem than size. I'm fine with bonesharks being able to damage the Cyclops (do they even bite? I thought they did that highspeed collision thing of theirs) because there's not enough big creatures to make Cyclops damage solely dependent on.

    But if anything, I'm looking at some adjustments in speed/noise. Don't know about you, but I'm finding myself only using flank and silent running. One's fast, the other makes me invisible. The two speeds in-between give neither benefit. I understand you have a smaller noise range compared to flank, but when you're surrounded that doesn't matter. Which is why I wonder if perhaps the noise threshold of bonesharks should be upped so that they don't attack slow, are 50/50 normal, and do what they currently do only at flank.
    Rezca0x6A7232Tarkannen
  • CharaXPCharaXP Italy Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230110Members Posts: 16 Fully active user
    Revert the Cyclops to invulnerability.
    Rezca wrote: »
    That last poll option sounds so biased haha xD
    But, I can understand where you're coming from. This is a big deal to you, like the Rock Puncher is to many others and the messing up the ILZ is to me.



    I think there should be a balance. Much closer to Option #2 but not entirely forsaking Option #1 either - it can still be wore down over long periods of time, but a single boneshark should be entirely ignorable unless you're at like 3% health and that tiny sliver it'll do over a few rounds of being annoying might actually be enough to push it over the limit. Any healthier than that and you're safe to pretend it's not even there.


    That said, does anyone know what the Salvage Wrecks feature in the video meant? Does it mean you can recover the stuff you had onboard, or just recover a part of the building materials? Did it mean something else?

    I'm disappointed with the damage taken by the cyclops for these reasons

    1) They are still fish and it's made by titanium
    2) There aren't reason for the creatures to attack us or our vehicles because we are aliens for them, not in their food chain
    3) Even if they attack us for our infection it wouldn't make sense because they couldn't perceive it through the metal, they aren't scanners

    ps. an extra question. developers don't want weapons because they don't like violence but they keep us in the planet with a massive gun and almost every creature in the game try to kill us but this isn't violence. It could be an accident or sabotage instead of a weapon.Maybe staying on the planet could be our decision after discovering the infection

    ps.Sorry if my english isn't very good
    Michlo
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members Posts: 1,091 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    CharaXP wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with the damage taken by the cyclops for these reasons

    1) They are still fish and it's made by titanium
    2) There aren't reason for the creatures to attack us or our vehicles because we are aliens for them, not in their food chain
    3) Even if they attack us for our infection it wouldn't make sense because they couldn't perceive it through the metal, they aren't scanners
    1. By that logic, bases, the Seamoth, and the PRAWN should not be damageable either.
    2. I would assume it's a territory thing, not a food thing.
    Rezca
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members Posts: 961 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    HYBRID1313 wrote: »
    Everyone wants it to be so easy -_-

    There's a difference between easy and ridiculous. Easy isn't difficult to pull off, but ridiculous is a gamble.

    I like ridiculous, but only when ridiculous is done right. Having Bonesharks be able to tear apart your submarine as quickly as they do isn't the ridiculous I'd favour; rather the one I'd try my best to stay away from. They definitely should be able to destroy your submarine, they have the bite for it, but right now they're power is more akin to experimental soviet torpedoes than that of organic creatures.
    I am currently writing a fantasy novel which I plan to be the beginning of a six-seven book series.
    To sate my thirst for people to read my stories, however, I write one on the forums in the meantime: FE . DC .
    Rezca
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members Posts: 744 Advanced user
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    Avimimus wrote: »
    Wimps ;)

    All you kidz have it so easy these days!
    In my yung' days we had no such fancy things like cyclopses ..... and seamouths ...
    We had to swim barefoot in da midnight sea and wrestle with them boneshurks'

    Weapons? bahh! weapuns were not yet invented in mah old dayz, we wrestled barehanded and gave kicks 'n punches!
    Ha! did we teach 'em sandsharks who were bosses 'round heare!
    I remember one day i went head to head vith a stalker, poor sod thought it could chew on mah leg!
    Teach him a lesson i sure did, i punched it in da mouth and broke him 2 tooth i sure did! took one as a knife and sliced myself a steak chunk i ate for supper that day ..... boy that sure was the good ol' days back then!

    ''Pa, its time to take yer medicine, you're rambling off again!''
    ''what?! in my young days we didnt had those fancy pills, we had to walk 12 miles in da woods to find those herbs ourselves ....''

    Survival is so much easier when you're an ork.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,061 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    CharaXP wrote: »
    I'm disappointed with the damage taken by the cyclops for these reasons

    1) They are still fish and it's made by titanium
    2) There aren't reason for the creatures to attack us or our vehicles because we are aliens for them, not in their food chain
    3) Even if they attack us for our infection it wouldn't make sense because they couldn't perceive it through the metal, they aren't scanners
    1. By that logic, bases, the Seamoth, and the PRAWN should not be damageable either.
    2. I would assume it's a territory thing, not a food thing.

    Then there's the Stalkers who literally chew on titanium on a daily basis, and the Sea Dragon which
    managed to wreck a Precursor base on its own simply by ramming it - a base which I might add your AI assistant stresses on multiple ocassions that it's made of a material far stronger than anything humanity's seen.
    They're fish yes, but they're also large fish and alien fish. The damage they're capable of could be anything UNW wants, hell they could make one of the fauna EAT titanium as its primary diet, and its reason for attacking your sub is because it's literally a source of food, and its attacking you because you're messing about in its territory. I like thinking back to monster hunter's Kushala Daora there, who literally eats ores and metals rather than meat, and simply attacks you because its protecting its (Rather wide) territory.

    With that being said, as @Jamezorg pointed out there's a difference between easy and absurd; doing damage is all well and good, but the amount and rate that damage comes in is what needs to be looked at. Too much and it's just crazy and in a bad way, too little and you're removing the threat from the game.
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members Posts: 81 Advanced user
    Some of you seem to be missing a major point. This is a sci-fi based game. That typically means remaining within some bounds of logic.

    You can't have something built to withstand the massive pressures of the depths be so easily damaged by minor external forces. You just can't have it both ways.

    Why are they throwing out the logic at this point?

    Gaming since they were loaded via cassette tape.
    From Wallasey, UK to Los Angeles, USA.

    http://www.IanMWalker.com
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members Posts: 1,061 Advanced user
    edited May 2017
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    Michlo wrote: »
    Some of you seem to be missing a major point. This is a sci-fi based game. That typically means remaining within some bounds of logic.

    You can't have something built to withstand the massive pressures of the depths be so easily damaged by minor external forces. You just can't have it both ways.

    Why are they throwing out the logic at this point?

    Eventually logic at some point gives way for Game Mechanics, even if it seems out of place. Like I'd question and still do question why the floodlights in this period can't draw from other power sources - like your base - and go dead within minutes, or why you can easily grow normal kelp in the abyssal trench of the Blood Kelp Zone or even the superhot waters of the Inactive Lava Zone.... The game doesn't care. The mechanics allow for it regardless of what Logic has to say about it. They've been setting logic aside for a long time and in many situations in favor of Gameplay. I mean they removed Nitrogen Narcosis for that very reason. Chances are they'll stick with the large fauna (Stalkers and upward) being able to damage the Cyclops - the only thing that'll change most likely is how MUCH damage they'll do to it.

    And that's where I feel the 'small' fauna should only be able to do a sliver of damage, they'd be a minor annoyance but not a threat while the leviathans would very much be.
    A Great Jaggi under the sea~

    DrownedOut
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 5,250 Advanced user
    Perhaps later if/when they add flooding, they could have smaller creatures able to flood the Cyclops (it can pump out a certain amount of water, but if there's too many holes it sinks). Then only the larger (Leviathan class) creatures can explode / destroy it, while the rest simply send it to the bottom until you can repair it and bring it back online.

    Thoughts?
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear | Increase Subnautica view distance | Useful info to post with error reports | Recovery of corrupted saved games | How to easily update your drivers
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with Want more frames? Try adding this to your launch options: -window-mode exclusive | Solve options not saving or black screens by deleting options file | Possible workaround for Pause / Menu Bug | Rescue a trapped Seamoth / PRAWN
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server ← swing on by! | SuspensionRailway's Modding Emporium Categorized list of mods, including 1st playthrough-friendly Hey, look, mods! ReShade mods Subnautica NexusMods
    Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
    Forum BBCode Rainbow text generator
    RezcaL4NDSL1DEDrownedOutShuttleBug
  • JackeJacke Calgary Join Date: 2017-03-20 Member: 229061Members Posts: 623 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Perhaps later if/when they add flooding....
    Apparently it was down to implementing either fire or flooding for the Cyclops. And I suspect fire won out partly because adding it to the Cyclops was more work intensive than adding fire. I would have preferred flooding, as it would seem to be the more likely result of getting so many leaks due to damage.
    The 'e' is silent. BRING BACK "Great job not dying." !!!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members Posts: 5,250 Advanced user
    I forgot to add, obviously, if it sinks below crush depth when flooded, to get it back you'd have to either fab and insert an appropriate depth module before draining, or if it was close enough to the current max depth, try to get it above crush depth before it sank again (not likely, or at least hard, as new leaks would start popping up as soon as the pressure inside dropped below the current crush resistance of the hull as it is being pumped out, which takes time).
    UWE Community guidelines | Guide to play in VR with Google Cardboard or Gear | Increase Subnautica view distance | Useful info to post with error reports | Recovery of corrupted saved games | How to easily update your drivers
    Crashing, lag problems? Or maybe your old save didn't get the latest update? Upload your saved game folder to help the devs troubleshoot, then try clearing your cache directories | Automatic Cache cleaning tool here | How to use the Debug Console | How to play any version of Subnautica using Steam | Tips for Subnautica beginners | Why can't the devs "just fix it"? - a modding session for you to educate yourself with Want more frames? Try adding this to your launch options: -window-mode exclusive | Solve options not saving or black screens by deleting options file | Possible workaround for Pause / Menu Bug | Rescue a trapped Seamoth / PRAWN
    Slow loading / textures popping in? Try moving Subnautica to an SSD | How to switch Subnautica to Experimental mode (clear cache afterwards) | How to run chkdsk on your drive | How to verify integrity of your game cache (in the "Installation" section) | Blue screens or computer freezing up? Try this fix (updates a corrupted DX10 compatibility file in the graphics driver that sometimes doesn't get updated)
    Subnautica launches in a tiny window? Use Task Manager to Maximize it (Thanks FlippingPower) | How to place your Moonpool so it connects correctly (includes diagrams) | Want to hang out with fellow players and the devs? Subnautica Discord server ← swing on by! | SuspensionRailway's Modding Emporium Categorized list of mods, including 1st playthrough-friendly Hey, look, mods! ReShade mods Subnautica NexusMods
    Humans don't crush at the depths you might think
    Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey | Get detailed info for troubleshooting: CPU-Z | GPU-Z | HWiNFO64 | Speccy | Pastebin | Recover the data on your crashed hard disk! | I'm a Total Geek
    Forum BBCode Rainbow text generator
  • L4NDSL1DEL4NDSL1DE Planet 4546B Join Date: 2017-04-22 Member: 229850Members Posts: 23 Advanced user
    edited May 2017
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Perhaps later if/when they add flooding, they could have smaller creatures able to flood the Cyclops (it can pump out a certain amount of water, but if there's too many holes it sinks). Then only the larger (Leviathan class) creatures can explode / destroy it, while the rest simply send it to the bottom until you can repair it and bring it back online.

    Thoughts?

    It would be interesting to have a flooded state alongside a destroyed one if it could be added. If they could place interior damage where the exterior damage occurs, that would be pretty slick. I'm not sure we would notice, but it'd be an interesting touch. Not all of the interior damage will be repairable (you might not be able to reach it or built something there like a locker) but if you can repair it, it would give you back half the health of repairing outer hull damage and slow down flooding.

    Repairing outer hull damage should remove interior damage as well though, as a safeguard for those instances when it can't be reached inside so you don't get stuck with a leak that you can't fix. I think something like that would be cool.

    Maybe we could attach Salvage Balloons to haul it somewhere safer or get it pointing right-side up again if it's upside down or on it's side. Floaters are still an option, I prefer to leave them to their rocks though. :D

    Edit: I don't mean that as wanting MORE damage, but rather the interior damage and exterior damage combined equal the same amount of current exterior damage health loss, so just flooding is added.
    0x6A7232
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members Posts: 1,091 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Perhaps later if/when they add flooding, they could have smaller creatures able to flood the Cyclops (it can pump out a certain amount of water, but if there's too many holes it sinks). Then only the larger (Leviathan class) creatures can explode / destroy it, while the rest simply send it to the bottom until you can repair it and bring it back online.

    Thoughts?

    I won't cry if flooding never gets added, but for the moment I hold out hope UWE will implement it one day, much like I hope fires will be a thing for bases in addition to flooding. I don't know if the proposed system would work that well - it sounds like it reduces the risk of fire to an all-or-nothing scenario, but it's worth experimenting with.
    Michlo wrote: »
    Some of you seem to be missing a major point. This is a sci-fi based game. That typically means remaining within some bounds of logic.

    You can't have something built to withstand the massive pressures of the depths be so easily damaged by minor external forces. You just can't have it both ways.

    Why are they throwing out the logic at this point?

    So, do you or do you not think bases, the Seamoth, and the PRAWN (which can go deeper than the Cyclops) should be immune to anything but the large fishies too? Because I think I'm being logical that if they can be destroyed by less (by tiger plant needles!), then the Cyclops shouldn't be immune either.

    And as already has been said, gameplay's worth a lot too. We don't have diver's disease, we can get oxygen from bubbles, medkits can heal you up no matter what you've tangled with, the whole module system where you can insert a rod and magically a storage box appears on the side of your vehicle, no anti-flooding chamber, no pressure issues for the moon pool no matter how deep you built, etc. Compared to all that, the Cyclops being battered to destruction by high-speed armored live ammo the size of a motorcycle is mild.
    Rezca
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members Posts: 768 Advanced user
    edited May 2017
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    I personally agree with the choices. Even if small fish can rip into your hull, it makes sense. I mean, you did just make a Cyclops out of shrapnel and a kinda small amount of resources on an alien planet. It isn't the most strong thing. Even so, the animals that attack have the ability to do some damage as well as have different damage rates. Like Bonesharks would make a hole or two in 20s, but a Reaper would make 5 and a fire. Did I make enough sense?

    Edit: Also, I am a supporter of adding interior damnage as well as exterior and fire.
    ================Anom================
    "Open windows, closing doors,
    God can't help us anymore!
    Souls forever, come and go,
    Burn all the bridges and fire in the hole!"
    ================Anom================
  • william1134william1134 Join Date: 2017-01-09 Member: 226439Members Posts: 30 Advanced user
    Make the Cyclops more realistic - the necessary toughness needed for the pressure of the depths should make it withstand all but the strongest of assaults (leviathan sized fauna, high speed collisions).
    I don't like the Cyclops being so fragile. It is a pain to keep repairing it and personally I would prefer it to be very tough as it is a nice safe mobile base.. or at least it was.

    I can see that a lot of you are up for it being quite weak, but I wonder if that is because you have all been playing for a long time and welcome additional Challenger.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members Posts: 1,091 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    I don't like the Cyclops being so fragile. It is a pain to keep repairing it and personally I would prefer it to be very tough as it is a nice safe mobile base.. or at least it was.

    I can see that a lot of you are up for it being quite weak, but I wonder if that is because you have all been playing for a long time and welcome additional Challenger.

    I don't think I would qualify this as a challenge. I can make distance much faster now than before and my experience with the sea dragon is that I'm safer on account of silent running making you a non-target instantly.

    That said, I agree there's need for more features to choose from in how to handle the Cyclops. Repair drones, I think, remain a thing that should be. At minimum as player-controlled tech provided as a module so repairs can be made faster. I also think a helmet module to hook the player up to the Cyclops' damage report so you get guidance to any damaged areas would do a lot to make the thing more manageable.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members Posts: 96 Advanced user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    I think the Cyclops being fragile wouldn't be a problem at all if we could release the helm and put out fires while letting the sub continue on a straight path forward or backward. As it stands it's a little annoying sometimes, but there's been some good suggestions in other threads to help iron out some of those flaws.
  • SherLucSherLuc France Join Date: 2017-05-01 Member: 230178Members Posts: 6 Fully active user
    Retain the Cyclops changes - whilst somehow able to withstand the pressure of the depths it may now be torn apart by fish farts.
    I think the balance shouldn't come from the Cyclops itself, but from the two other vehicules, I'd like to see something like a repair tool arm module for the PRAWN suit, so I can actually get out and fight a bonefish swarm off without risking the Cyclops to implode anytime, I agree with the idea that fauna can damage the Cyclops.

    As the Sea Dragon was able to ruin the PCF made from "a material stronger than anything ever encountered by mankind", it makes sense for mid sized fauna to take down a man-made submarine, however you can't tell afterward that the Hull Reinforcment Module rearranges the atomic structure of the cyclops because it wouldn't make much sense with it being vulnerable.

    I think however that damages should be scaled as I only drove the Cyclops in the Blood Kelp Trench and had to stop every ten meters to stop the four fires which set ablaze after ramming into a Boomerang.

    I heard some saying they have no problems with the Cyclops but mine happened to be super fragile and some breaches were bugged and coulnd't be repaired (On the top of the cyclops near the sonar and at the rear near the propeller).
    And please, think by yourself, and think well!
Sign In or Register to comment.