What kind of mod do you want to see?

Comments

• nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    @EnglishInfidel Almost anything is possible as long as it deals with MonoBehaviours or variables that aren't private or can reasonably be called / modified / read without loops.
    Also
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    (the day/night cycle is far too short IMO)
    Someone beat you to it
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited April 2017
    @Tarkannen I think there is a console command that allows that.

subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Debug_Console_Commands

This is a list with all available commands until now.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    edited April 2017
    @nesrak1 Weird, it openned right here... have you tried with another browser?

The code is this: daynightspeed #, with the # being
    Sets the day/night cycle speed multiplier (default 1). A # of "2" would be a day/night cycle twice as fast (shorter day and shorter night). A float such as 0.1 will make the day/night cycle 10x slower.

@Tarkannen I don't think this is what you were exactely looking for, but should be a close approximation.
    @Casual_Player I ctrl+f'd for the wrong thing, yeah I see it.
    @Tarkannen be advised, this code influences the game's own clock. This will be more clear when you see the Sunbeam event.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    @Tarkannen be advised, this code influences the game's own clock. This will be more clear when you see the Sunbeam event.

Messing with the clock also stretches fabrication time, water purifying times...anything that references the clock, really. Hope you're patient.

Messing with the clock also stretches fabrication time, water purifying times...anything that references the clock, really. Hope you're patient.

I didn't know those other times were affected too.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members

I didn't know those other times were affected too.

I found out the hard way. :disappointed:
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017

Woooo! I knew about the timeshift cheat code from the wiki, but I hadn't used it before (up until now, I'd used OXYGEN, WARP etc for minor conveniences). But the ability to have both longer days AND nights AND increase the game's production cycle limitations?? Sign me up! :love:

See, when I had first started playing back in good old July 2016, I was a nüb in regards to the cycle of the game: how and where to proceed, the general order of how to unlock events. I had just started after the Power Nap Update; conveniences like the Battery Charger and Power Cell Charger I had all but taken for granted. As for this wonderful site and beautiful forums, I had been directed to here from my previous "Subnautica News Center"... the Subnautica Reddit. :open_mouth: A post was added linking to this forum, where people were weighing in heavily against a new change the devs had made. They had apparently started drastic changes in the Experimental Mode, mainly about making crafting times much, much longer. The idea was apparently some items like crafting Filtered Water, would take about 30 seconds to make; some "heavier" items like Titanium Ingots or the Mobile Vehicle Bay could take upwards of five minutes! :smiley:

It was speculated that with increased crafting times, you would go about your business to collect materials, research technology or expand your base while the Fabricator was chugging away. The response to these changes in Experimental however, were largely negative (to say the least) and the changes were reverted back to normal by the time the PRAWN Update hit Stable. Now, it's not my business to dredge up old news or cause another tsunami, but I was disappointed I never got to experience those changes personally. :(

That's why on occasion I like to bring up a request for a 5th game mode, a Custom Mode where you can change aspects of the game to suit your needs. Much like the console commands can alter game aspects (such as INVISIBLE, NITROGEN etc) you can make the game easier, harder, more fun or more insane to suit your desires. I hope some time after 1.0 the devs will consider something like that, in order to shake up the status quo, heh.

But back to your suggestions, I will definitely try that! I'm waiting patiently for the 4/26 update (if it's not changed), as I've reached the 'end' of the current Stable story progression. I don't mind starting over again, but I really really want to try out the swag new Cyclops features the next time I start over again. :blush:
    @Tarkannen If longer fabricator times, at least a way to walk away :|
  • dork42dork42 Michigan Join Date: 2017-03-30 Member: 229307Members
    A nifty adapter to allow us to use power cells to power our bases! This would go a long way towards establishing Deep bases. I can't count how many times i started building a base in the LR or ILZ only to realize i cant make a bio, nuclear, or thermal reactor without lubricant. Just enough juice to Get oxygen flowing.

Another Ideas- Maybe outside mod feasibility.
    An auto-pilot for the Seamoth would be great. Allowing it to travel to beacons or bases. A little balancing could be done by increasing power drain or restricting access at certain depths or more that 500m from target. And signals don't count of course.
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    @Avimimus how would you want to collaborate?

Hi Nesrak - So I want to work on a few mods, but all of my experience is modding things like flight simulators (I have no real experience with Unity). I was wondering if you could give some advice about where key values are located and how to change them.

I'm willing to put in labour but I could do with some guidance to speed up the process... :)

I tried poking around in the dll files, and I found some values, but they looked very incomplete.

My modding dreams...

Rebalance (changing existing values):

- Plants grow more slowly, especially the lantern fruit (reduction in growth speed by 20x)

- Less powerful solar panels (& faster decrease of power at depth, forcing use of power transmitters or other power sources below 100m)

- Longer distances between power transmitters; Power transmitter line colour is black instead of neon blue

- Seamoth solar generator only works on surface, and works more slowly

- Much slower recharge times for batteries

- Decrease the structural integrity of bases

- Longer scan times (and possibly making some recipes dependent upon them)

- Reduce the ability of the Exosuit to jump (unless multiple slots are dedicated to this)

- Increase momentum or otherwise tweak craft to make them more different from each other and harder to use

If spawn editing:

- Produce a few large creatures which have randomised coordinates (or which have pathing over larger areas). The idea is that a Reaper may occasionally end up in safe shallows or other unexpected locations. Basically an intentional version of the 0,0 bug.

- Reduce the number of predators (so they can be made more dangerous)

- Untether the life-pod and make it drift (increases challenge early in the game)

If AI editing:

- Add a randomiser so sometimes predators are non-aggressive (or alternatively, at least introduce passive examples that can be spawned).

- Reduce roar frequency for all leviathans

So which of these areas are possible for easy modding (i.e. existing values, spawn editing, AI editing)? Where do I start looking?
    @Avimimus I usually add a reference to Assembly-CSharp.dll into visual studio, type things into a method and hope to find what I'm looking for. Then I can see variables attached by hitting period and scrolling through the list.
    Hey, @nesrak1, quick question for you.

I remember we'd discussed the limited data available to extrapolate from when building mods (which was causing grief with seabase parts since they had an inventory link). Have you looked into vehicle mods and, if you have, is modding/creating vehicle modifications possible?

Someone necro'd a post on a subject I've seen more than once: a habitat builder mod for the PRAWN. It all hinges on how the game stores and references that data, of course, and in that you're our resident expert - hence why I ask. :)
    edited May 2017
    @scifiwriterguy So you want to a mod that has a habitat builder as an arm?
    Only problem is right now that TechTypes now make some weird error and I haven't had the time to figure out the problem so anything that's what you would think as in minecraft as an "entity" or an "item" (not the world like terrain or the aurora) will not be able to be added atm until I fix it.
    edit 5 million: that includes arms, although like I said, that doesn't mean it's not possible, just that it will take me a little longer.
    @0x6A7232 @scifiwriterguy Never mind about the error. Items work again :​D
    I guess when my cat jumped on my keyboard, she pressed some keys while I had the string "TechType" selected and it became "TechTypethyfeawaqdwcDWAW" or something like that
    Sure I can try working on it.
  • DragxonDragxon Join Date: 2017-05-04 Member: 230247Members
    drill arms and claw arms for the seamoth would be nice
    @scifiwriterguy So you want to a mod that has a habitat builder as an arm?
    Only problem is right now that TechTypes now make some weird error and I haven't had the time to figure out the problem so anything that's what you would think as in minecraft as an "entity" or an "item" (not the world like terrain or the aurora) will not be able to be added atm until I fix it.
    edit 5 million: that includes arms, although like I said, that doesn't mean it's not possible, just that it will take me a little longer.
    @0x6A7232 @scifiwriterguy Never mind about the error. Items work again :​D
    I guess when my cat jumped on my keyboard, she pressed some keys while I had the string "TechType" selected and it became "TechTypethyfeawaqdwcDWAW" or something like that
    Sure I can try working on it.

You know, I've heard a lot of programming problems being blamed on bugs in the software. It's a blame target I've used many times myself, in fact. Never heard of a cat in the code, though. ;)
    edited May 2017
    @scifiwriterguy I just finished the Thermal Resistance Suit that 0x requested :)
    Yeah, can't believe I went like a whole week without noticing it .-.
    @scifiwriterguy I just finished the Thermal Resistance Suit that 0x requested :)
    Yeah, can't believe I went like a whole week without noticing it .-.

Dang you're good!
  • cy4ncy4n The Kingdom of Reginald Join Date: 2016-09-14 Member: 222316Members
    I already have a hard enough time making myself go to these places, only to find that it's actually quite easy once you get there. I want my fear to be justified!
  • YunYun Netherlands Join Date: 2017-04-30 Member: 230140Members
    Would love to see a mod that lets you mutate into some kind of fish monster.
    In fact, that should be an ingame option which people who do not want to leave the planet could work towards as their end goal. We already have a mutative disease in game, perhaps instead of curing it we could put it to better use.
    Would not be too hard to implement as one could leave the player character functionally unchanged, but just retexture the arms and replace the legs with a bunch of tentacles or something.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Yun wrote: »
    Would love to see a mod that lets you mutate into some kind of fish monster.
    In fact, that should be an ingame option which people who do not want to leave the planet could work towards as their end goal. We already have a mutative disease in game, perhaps instead of curing it we could put it to better use.
    Would not be too hard to implement as one could leave the player character functionally unchanged, but just retexture the arms and replace the legs with a bunch of tentacles or something.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Transfuser
  • YunYun Netherlands Join Date: 2017-04-30 Member: 230140Members
  • supertiger2340supertiger2340 Eugene OR USA Join Date: 2017-07-21 Member: 231956Members
  • Timelord_FredTimelord_Fred Join Date: 2017-07-05 Member: 231596Members
    More fuana and flora. And base stuff.
  • ShadrissShadriss Join Date: 2017-05-02 Member: 230205Members
    WRT bases, there are two things that really irritate me, and if the devs don't fix them then modders should.

A) No sloping parts? Why must everything be connected with ladders? Ladders are work... slopes are a lot less work. Give me ramps!

B) Another snap point on the foundations at the CENTER OF THE PLATFORM. I'm kinda OCD, and having things off center like that just... gnaws at me.