Video of Rick Roll on the Precursor Gun mod ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (April Fools)

nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_w_cT4IsnDKaXhWWjVEamFuOE0/view?usp=sharing (Youtube was being stupid so it's on gdrive rn.)
Sorry about the lag, it's all OBS's fault :(

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited April 2017
    What is the point of making this thread?

Edit: After watching the video: Lol how did you do that?
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    I don't know wether to feel annoyed by the rick roll, but there's just so much amount of work you've put in that that you deserve an awesome, man! Seriously, how long did it take you to do that?
  • nesrak1nesrak1 Places Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224536Members
    Probably just a week. The code was simple, just switch the material on the gun with a movietexture.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I hate you so much right now.

That was freaking amazing.

How on 4546B did you do that?
    edited April 2017
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    I've actually always liked that song.
    So I never feel like I've been bamboozled.
    B)
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    nesrak1 wrote: »
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_w_cT4IsnDKaXhWWjVEamFuOE0/view?usp=sharing (Youtube was being stupid so it's on gdrive rn.)
    Sorry about the lag, it's all OBS's fault :(

THAT. WAS. AWESOME!!! bwahahahaha :smiley:
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
  • kJGkJG Join Date: 2016-06-19 Member: 218794Members
    edited April 2017
    I have another video titled "O2 tanks but everytime you add another it gets faster" on my gdrive.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited April 2017
    I know realize this is an April Fool prank/Rickroll, but I absolutely loved it...! :love: Now I kinda want this to happen in my game, can you share how you changed it? (If you don't want to share your secrets, I understand; but kudos for such a delightful post!) :smiley:
    edited April 2017
    Well it depends on how much you want it.
    The patcher is broken so you'd have to patch the dll yourself.
    Oof... I'm not tech-savvy, so I'll settle for watching your sweet video. Thanks for showing us an awesome event! :blush:
  • ApoNonoApoNono United States Join Date: 2017-02-26 Member: 228282Members
    .... best ... Rick Roll .... ever
    Do you mind if I share this on my channel? I will totally give you credit, I just want to help the world see this lol
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    That was great. Nicely done.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    edited April 2017
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Oof... I'm not tech-savvy, so I'll settle for watching your sweet video. Thanks for showing us an awesome event! :blush:

Best guess: subnautica uses procedurally generated textures procedurally generated textures https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procedural_texture[/url] so it sets all of the terrain with that texture(precursor engraving) to rick astley. He also added a trigger effect when he opened the gate to trigger the rickroll.
    edited April 2017
    Nah just
    GameObject rpg = UM4SN.Util.SpawnBundle(asset, ply.cam.x, ply.cam.y-100, ply.cam.z);
    GameObject pg = GameObject.Find("Precursor_gun(Clone)");
    UM4SN.SubMethods.SetMatOfChildren(pg.GetComponent<Renderer>().material, rpg.GetComponent<Renderer>().material);

The lag you see when you put the key is on the first line when the movietexture material starts loading.
    Edit: how do I escape things in less and greater than signs?
    Edit 2: Tarkannen was talking about the dll patching to allow the UM4SN dll to be called, not making the mod in general
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited April 2017
    Not sure what I dislike more, memes, or people who support memes.
    Here's a meme to illustrate.

knnl8rh0erzw.jpg

edited April 2017
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    I'd rather see mods that actually improve the game play.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of playing around with modding to learn the basics. I taught myself to mod various games in the same way, making stupid armour reskins in Paint for X-Com, for example. So don't think I'm being entirely negative.

But please don't make reskins and keks your focus, you have ability, you could do so much good, don't waste it on frivolity. Go and make a mod which edits predator behaviour so they are extremely aggressive when provoked, and don't stop chasing you so easily. That would be a great mod to start with.
    edited April 2017
    @EnglishInfidel Yeah, I'm more focused on trying to get the functionality of mods working than actual mods right now.
    I got some and help and fixed the patcher (yay) but tbh I don't have any good ideas.
    I was thinking of doing some easter egg hunt for easter or something :) (holidays are easy I don't have to have ideas)

If you look at the artwork I had originally posted, it was not me making mods that were useless, rather mods that added a new type of item. The banana was the first mod that could be loaded dynamically and removed without restarting the game. Then I managed to get item handling (portal gun), base building (pumpkins), custom items (candy), ui, so on and so forth... Do you want to see my boring advancements in all the code I've written? Every once and a while I make a fun mod to show off what I've done.
    @nesrak1 Don't let EnglishInfidel get onto you, some of the better inventions/discoveries were come by just messing around. The Slinky™ was invented by a naval engineer working on a new type of naval equipment spring, and Silly Putty™ came about as an attempt at artificial rubber. My point is, hard work leads to fun breakthroughs, which in turn can lead to new and innovative ideas. :blush:

Also @EnglishInfidel, the game doesn't need to be Subnautica: Hyper-Realistic Aquatic Simulator. If Subnautica were more true-to-life it would take 5 minutes to enter/leave bases via hatches, or 30 minutes to ascend from deep underwater due to decompression sickness. Believe me, I think the game could use customization (the day/night cycle is far too short IMO) but there's always room for 'pointless' stuff. :tongue:
    Day/night cycle would be pretty easy. Like I said, I don't have any good mod ideas that wouldn't be too easy or too hard. But then again, things like balancing AI... that stuff comes down to the "let modders fix it." I could make mod to make moonpool fragment finding easier, but if it gets too popular, people start relying on the mod instead of the developers making this change. I find mods for things that you know developers won't add like that habitat themes with pink wallpaper and MLP everywhere.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    @nesrak1 Don't let EnglishInfidel get onto you, some of the better inventions/discoveries were come by just messing around. The Slinky™ was invented by a naval engineer working on a new type of naval equipment spring, and Silly Putty™ came about as an attempt at artificial rubber. My point is, hard work leads to fun breakthroughs, which in turn can lead to new and innovative ideas. :blush:

Also @EnglishInfidel, the game doesn't need to be Subnautica: Hyper-Realistic Aquatic Simulator. If Subnautica were more true-to-life it would take 5 minutes to enter/leave bases via hatches, or 30 minutes to ascend from deep underwater due to decompression sickness. Believe me, I think the game could use customization (the day/night cycle is far too short IMO) but there's always room for 'pointless' stuff. :tongue:

That. And fun mods are great ways to improve gameplay for many people. If you, for some reason, doesn't like the way vanilla game item behaves, use a mod to change it. One day I was searching for mods for Unreal (the original one). I found one that I remember to this day. It was a soundbox that, when deployed, started to play someone singing. The result was that, the music was supposed to be so bad that the PC started to convulse while vomiting blood - and losing health!

If your game experience is improved on some way, then there is a valid reason to use that mod. Be this reason to laugh during gameplay, or to make things more serious.
  • Casual_PlayerCasual_Player That...is a really good question Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221875Members
    @Tarkannen, @nesrak1 the following video, albeit disturbing in some way, exemplifies what I'm trying to convey:

edited April 2017
    @Tarkannen, @nesrak1 the following video, albeit disturbing in some way, exemplifies what I'm trying to convey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp32TigGfZk

A mod of Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, letting you play as Pinkie Pie while slaughtering innocent creatures... I'm both intrigued and disturbed at the same time. :flushed:

...Okay, okay, I'm actually intrigued and delighted that such a thing exists. I adore Pinkie Pie! :grin::sweat_smile:

But seriously, Skyrim is a great example: You can have helpful mods that make the game easier (stronger attacks, unlimited stamina/magic) or challenging mods to make it harder (critical damaging hits, no item drops)... and then there are the "silly" mods (You play as Batman, you can fight prehistoric creatures, you can get female NPCs pregnant... no really, it exists... :wink:) The game can be anything your imagination wants it to be!

P.S. Also I lied just now, Pinkie Pie isn't my favorite... It's Applejack. :love:
    edited April 2017
    The game can be anything your imagination wants it to be!
    Actually there are a couple of things in my way right now:
    1. Private variables (using delegates on reflection?)
    2. Unity
    3. Detecting and referencing when a gameobject is created
    4. Unity
    5. Oh and did I mention Unity?
    #codingstruggles
    :( if I'm having trouble I'm not sure about other modders