Grand Reef Gubernatorial Election

Comments

• Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    PARTIES NOT ALLOWED

Greater Communist Sheol Conglomerate
    You exclude us out of all people?

Of course. A natural thing you large predators would do, single out the shoals you feed upon. We as the GCS are severely disappointed in you, as excluding the largest group this party stands will only hurt you victory chances in any upcoming elections.

The election says otherwise for your party.

Might I say that We represent the largest collection of species in these waters. Lose their support, and you might go hungry in this election...
    Psh. You'll never get votes with such convoluted party names.

I propose that the NVP merge with my group to form the Blue Party. Our goal is simple.

A return to the proper order of things. And the elimination of the technology of interlopers that tarnishes our perfect world.

We've made a deal with one representative with your party.

But Blue Party? Nah. Need a better name.

Bureaucratic And Democratic Aligned Senate of Superpowers. THE B.A.D.A.S.S PARTY

You may use this name if you do not exclude us laborers from the greater shoal

My dear @phantomfinch . Do you not see? They are large predators. They only wish to consume the small folks; those who we have sworn to represent in this election. We cannot stand for such hypocrisy.
    Maybe before we do elections we should draft a constitution.

Agreed! @phantomfinch, we must discuss our own constitution draft.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    @Enderguy059

Whatever walks on two legs is an enemy.
    Whatever goes upon three legs, or has fins. is a friend.
    No fish shall wear clothes.
    No fish shall sleep in a bed.
    No fish shall drink alcohol.
    No fish shall kill any other fish without reason.
    All fish are equal.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    We must gather representatives from each race and/or biome to gather and draft our constitution. Which means, of course, that we must draft a set of a procedures and rules for the format of the gathering itself. If it is amenable to my fellow distinguished delegates, I can fill the roll of the crab squid and/or deep grand reef delegate, if only for our preliminary procedural meeting.
  • hugothesilverdragonhugothesilverdragon canad Join Date: 2015-11-30 Member: 209620Members
    i suport an anarchy
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    A constitution is not needed.

As long as the seas maintain equilibrium no rights need to be protected.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

And who are you to decide what equilibrium is? You don't want equilibrium, you want control over everything you don't like. And if you gain that control, I'll make quite sure you lose it.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

And who are you to decide what equilibrium is? You don't want equilibrium, you want control over everything you don't like. And if you gain that control, I'll make quite sure you lose it.

Quite an accusation.

Extreme theories require extreme evidence.

Quite an accusation.

Then provide evidence for any accusation you've made of anyone here. You're the king of baseless accusations.

Quite an accusation.

Then provide evidence for any accusation you've made of anyone here. You're the king of baseless accusations.

Never made any I couldn't back up in some way, shape, or form.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    edited November 2016
    A natural equilibrium is not necessarily conducive to a long-term and stable environment for all life. Eventually, left to their "natural" devices, those floating islands are going to fall. When they do, it will kill thousands and devastate multiple biomes. That is merely one example of a natural focus leading to disaster. If we want to ensure long-term survival and a defense of our apparent newfound sentience, then a degree of artificial order is necessary.

Edit: I may have just accidentally founded the Landfall Theocracy Party.

Quite an accusation.

Never made any I couldn't back up in some way, shape, or form.

Then back some of them up for once.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    ThIs bickering and fragmentation is the most dangerous of all the threats that face us today. If we are to go forward at all we must have unity. If our democracy means anything at all then the will of the people must be allowed to flourish. The stability of the reef back administration will ensure all voices are heard. We will move forward in repairing these disasters as one body, for the future of predator and prey alike, nay for the future of our whole planet.
    Ralij wrote: »
    ThIs bickering and fragmentation is the most dangerous of all the threats that face us today. If we are to go forward at all we must have unity. If our democracy means anything at all then the will of the people must be allowed to flourish. The stability of the reef back administration will ensure all voices are heard. We will move forward in repairing these disasters as one body, for the future of predator and prey alike, nay for the future of our whole planet.

That's all well and good, but the Reapers will not accept any government they don't control.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Nobody Saw The Second Thing That Fell? A Giant Thing That Your Lucky To Not Get Crushed By It For When It Crashed? Its Giant. Nobody Cares About The Second Thing That Crushed Millions? Seriously?

That's all well and good, but the Reapers will not accept any government they don't control.

We will not be fragmenting from the government.

Our attempts to organize a Confederacy has nothing to do with power. It is to even the scales. The Reefbacks obviously have majority control right now. Is trying to win a crime?

But trying to win and desiring power are two different things. Again, we are the apex predator next to the Sea Dragon. We don't NEED power. Unlike what many of these parties will tell you who "represent the little guys".

We will see what the future holds. I will be very critical of the EPCA, but other than that these Hypnotists are simply attempting to demonize our party.

We will not be fragmenting from the government.

Our attempts to organize a Confederacy has nothing to do with power. It is to even the scales. The Reefbacks obviously have majority control right now. Is trying to win a crime?

But trying to win and desiring power are two different things. Again, we are the apex predator next to the Sea Dragon. We don't NEED power. Unlike what many of these parties will tell you who "represent the little guys".

We will see what the future holds. I will be very critical of the EPCA, but other than that these Hypnotists are simply attempting to demonize our party.

You call winning one election a majority? My god, I know Reapers aren't supposed to have brains, but I thought it was a myth. You forget that there are plenty of other biomes out there. I've asked you this time and time again, if you truly don't need power, than why run? Do you just want more power? Or have you realized that the power you have isn't enough anymore?
    Nobody Saw The Second Thing That Fell? A Giant Thing That Your Lucky To Not Get Crushed By It For When It Crashed? Its Giant. Nobody Cares About The Second Thing That Crushed Millions? Seriously?

The Neo-Luddites saw. We saw, we wept, and we would see the blight removed from this world forever. We felt the ground shake. We felt the water tremble. We sensed the blood and effluence of a thousand innocent lives leak into the waters, and we feel the anguished cries of those now doomed by the poison it poured into our sea.

If it is that thing that you hate and fear, the Neo-Luddites are the party for you.

The Neo-Luddites saw. We saw, we wept, and we would see the blight removed from this world forever. We felt the ground shake. We felt the water tremble. We sensed the blood and effluence of a thousand innocent lives leak into the waters, and we feel the anguished cries of those now doomed by the poison it poured into our sea.

If it is that thing that you hate and fear, the Neo-Luddites are the party for you.

I'd like to lead us to a prosperous ecosystem.

Power has little to do with it. Again, we don't need anymore power.

No. You want to lead YOU to a prosperous life. You care not for the lives of anyone but yourselves.

No. You want to lead YOU to a prosperous life. You care not for the lives of anyone but yourselves.

Your fallacious accusations won't help your party win anymore elections.
    Has anybody heard from the bladderfish lately? They've been strangely silent on this whole issue...

Your fallacious accusations won't help your party win anymore elections.

Nor will your senseless violence and anarchist comments.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    edited November 2016
    @Enderguy059

Whatever walks on two legs is an enemy.
    Whatever goes upon three legs, or has fins. is a friend.
    No fish shall wear clothes.
    No fish shall sleep in a bed.
    No fish shall drink alcohol.
    No fish shall kill any other fish without reason.
    All fish are equal.

That seems an excellent starting point, but I think we should modify these to fit a role more tailored to our views, rather than lift this list wholesale from Animal Farm.

For example, while I do support a communist dominion, I also speak for public health and safety. I also wish to speak my concerns of discrimination of those who walk on two legs, as they appear to be the most powerful of individuals. Thus, the constitution should be something like this:

Whoever threatens those in league with our views, or who's views are maintained at a neutral standpoint, is an enemy.
    Whoever supports our greater interests, or who openly objects said views without direct conflict and/or interference, is a friend.
    No individual shall deny the greater society of beneficial and crucial advancements in any form if said denial serves only towards personal advance.
    No being shall enjoy higher luxuries if others cannot do so themselves.
    No being shall endanger the health and lives of others through psychoactive chemical consumption, unless this consumption is properly and responsibly moderated.
    No being shall commit crimes intended for personal gain without severe reprimands.
    No being shall be denied healthcare, whether it be standard or tailored to specific ailments.
    All beings are equal.

I call on for the support of The Benevolent Android Party; as much as the Neo-Luddite party wishes to object, your impressively advanced technology can serve towards the betterment to our society as a whole if it is properly and responsibly utilized and maintained.

Any parties that wish to or do support our views are free to decide if they want to uphold our visions. We do not enforce restrictions towards who is allowed to support us, contrary to what The National Violence Party have demonstrated.

I wish us all good luck for the next gubernatorial election, which brings me to a question: which biome will it be held at?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Momentous currents are shifting our Subnautican society, and dormant issues need to be addressed. All this and more coming up on The Weekly Update, hosted by yours truly!
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, and welcome to The Weekly Update

I'll be your host this morning, evening, or night. Most recently, a vast debate has been stirring the post-election landscape- the issue of a constitution. Noticeably glossed over by the Peeper during her campaign, many fish have been clamoring for a guiding set of laws for the planet. If passed, such a constitution would replace the current governmental system, the Articles of Absolutely Nothing at All (disliked due to the weak executive branch and inability to tax, of course). Many big (philosophically, and physically- in the case of some fauna) players have stepped on to the field to propose different constitutional ideals. A few fin-deralist (@Enderguy059 + @phantomfinch) advocates have already proposed versions of the constitution, Anti-finderalists (@ResolutionBlaze + @hugothesilverdragon ) have proposed sticking with the Articles. It is unknown how this will play out, but a constitutional convention may be necessary...

In other news, the ECPA have been relatively silent following their 10+ point victory in the election. They are expected to make a statement about potential action on various issues shortly after their election, and I'm sure we're all waiting with baited breath. So far they have stated a rather unity-centric message, typical of their platform.

Surprisingly, the AAA has pulled in a good deal of the religious vote, and wields a significant amount of clout in the polls despite little discussion in the politics. They have managed to secure the vote of even one of the creators of the planet, the developer Obraxis. It is rumored he began development on this game after a short shift as a god on the aptly-named Obraxis Prime, though he left shortly after the weapon-based disaster there. Other than extension of Sea-treader farmsteads in the agrarian section of the grand reef biome, the party's platform is mostly unknown.

This concludes another episode of The Weekly Update. Thanks for joining me!

P.S. Credit to American History in the 17/1800s for the constitutional jargon
    Real talk though. When I got a game about surviving and exploring a vast alien ocean, I did not expect it would lead me to intense political debate.
    edited November 2016
    There shall be no rights except that which nature provides us with and the ones that prevent a government from taking control of our seas.

I propose a set of mandates called the "Messorem Administratum" based on the interests of an ecosystem rather than the interests of a government.

_____

Messorem Administratum

Addendum 1A:

- The government shall not interfere with the course of nature if equilibrium is maintained.
    - The government can interfere with natural circumstances if these circumstances disrupt equilibrium. This includes reducing/increasing predator/prey population where need be among other things.
    - Should the government produce attempts to maintain equilibrium but instead greatly damage a particular population or ecosystem, or have any counter effects, that government, if no attempts to stop are found after more than one request by the ecosystem's inhabitants, the government can be considered incompetent and overthrown by any means.
    - If the government's effects are a trade off, the government must take into consideration the short-term and long-term consequences of their actions and proceed with the best course of action. This request must be revealed to the ecosystem before it can be justified.

2A:

- The government shall not impose any sort of superiority on the fish of the sea. There are no "rulers" and "ruled". There are merely representatives.
    - Representatives are only members of a species. Two different species can be a part of the same party but each species must have a representative.
    - Representatives can be removed by a majority vote within a party. Should a representative refuse after majority vote against them, force can be used.

Addendum 1B:

- The fish of an ecosystem are responsible for their own survival. Government interference is for threats to equilibrium only.
    - If extinction is possible, the species will be protected until it is able to return to natural circumstances.
    - Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government in power should they go against the good of equilibrium

2B:

- Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government if their actions are unjustified or do more damage than good for long-term circumstances.

Addendum 3C:

- The government must interfere with foreign governments should they attempt an action described in Addendum 2.1A.
    - The government must interfere with foreign governments should their actions affect our own ecosystem directly.
    It has become increasingly clear that this government is going nowhere fast. The current administration is silent, there's an anarchist warmonger trying to overthrow our government, and problems still remain everywhere. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart I have to announce that the Koosh Zone will be forming our own ecosystem. We will be happy to initiate trade with you, but we will be governed separately, by a democracy. Any of those who do not condone senseless anarchy are welcome to join us, and as a show of good faith, we will contain the Human to keep him from harming our oceans any more.

We are very sorry to do this, but given the circumstances we saw no decent alternative. Goodbye, my fellow fish.

SAHP out.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited November 2016
    @dealwithitdog if you do this the shoal and our cousins in the blighter shoal will protect the kush's boarders and its trade from foreign attack from the nearby crash zone and dunes which the anarchists populate
    edited November 2016
    There shall be no rights except that which nature provides us with and the ones that prevent a government from taking control of our seas.

I propose a set of mandates called the "Messorem Administratum" based on the interests of an ecosystem rather than the interests of a government.

_____

Messorem Administratum

Addendum 1A:

- The government shall not interfere with the course of nature if equilibrium is maintained.
    - The government can interfere with natural circumstances if these circumstances disrupt equilibrium. This includes reducing/increasing predator/prey population where need be among other things.
    - Should the government produce attempts to maintain equilibrium but instead greatly damage a particular population or ecosystem, or have any counter effects, that government, if no attempts to stop are found after more than one request by the ecosystem's inhabitants, the government can be considered incompetent and overthrown by any means.
    - If the government's effects are a trade off, the government must take into consideration the short-term and long-term consequences of their actions and proceed with the best course of action. This request must be revealed to the ecosystem before it can be justified.

2A:

- The government shall not impose any sort of superiority on the fish of the sea. There are no "rulers" and "ruled". There are merely representatives.
    - Representatives are only members of a species. Two different species can be a part of the same party but each species must have a representative.
    - Representatives can be removed by a majority vote within a party. Should a representative refuse after majority vote against them, force can be used.

Addendum 1B:

- The fish of an ecosystem are responsible for their own survival. Government interference is for threats to equilibrium only.
    - If extinction is possible, the species will be protected until it is able to return to natural circumstances.
    - Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government in power should they go against the good of equilibrium

2B:

- Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government if their actions are unjustified or do more damage than good for long-term circumstances.

Addendum 3C:

- The government must interfere with foreign governments should they attempt an action described in Addendum 2.1A.
    - The government must interfere with foreign governments should their actions affect our own ecosystem directly.

Your constitution allows for the following atrocities:
    State-sanctioned forced breeding programs.
    Exploitation based on your failure to provide any definition of the term "equilibrium.:
    An exploited species now facing possible extinction is subject to full government protection and control as well as forced breeding.
    You have created a government with no true legal authority yet authorized their overthrow on a whim. In effect, you've created a society with the systematic punishment of civil servants.
    Your system has created no means by which the government can secure the resources to ensure that they perform their required duties, ensuring a continuously impotent government subject to perpetual replacement.
    Most notably the responsibilities in 3C cannot be carried out without the ability to secure and manage resources on a large scale.
    Sheer numbers of biodiversity guarantee that sparsely diverse biomes will never have a vote number substantial enough to require their consideration. Likewise, the most diverse areas, such as the shallows and reef can have a number of representatives large enough to have a total plurality on all votes.

Your proposal requires substantial reevaluation.

If you want more stability, the price will be some freedom and increased finderalism.
    If you want more localism, the price will be some instability and inefficiency on a macro level.