Grand Reef Gubernatorial Election

Comments

• awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    Reefbacks are amazing and their roll in this election is amazing. VOTE FOR EPCA.
    (The reefback won this one. When do we get the next part?)
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    Nature is anarchy. There is truly no such thing as non-native here, the only law in nature is that things will grow where they are suited to grow. The only rule that matters in nature is that of raw strength. I would never join the NVP, such an idea is an anathema. I would gladly join an anti-NVP party, which is what the reefback's party effectively is. However, there is a difference between a willingness to cooperate and outright cowardice in not dealing with such a threat. A threat, I might add, which is of several magnitudes greater than the threat posed by the alien at the present.

Once again I am not an anarchist.

I don't believe in befalling the government, not at all, it is clear in Messorem Administratum. I think the government should have a different purpose other than yours. Never suggested befalling it. I think if done correctly it can allow our ecosystem to last tens of thousands of years.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    i think the NVP might have gone a bit too far with the whole equilibrium thing.
    They allow mass genocide but they also allow the species to overthrow the government
    It's like if during the holocaust if a Hebrew asked to leave a concentration camp the nazi rule ended and a new government was put in place. The whole thing is broken
    The only answer is communism

"From each according to his ability. To each according to his need."

It still requires a powerful centralized authority to manage the evaluation of need and ability, as well as the distribution of resources and labor. Unless you want to break down the whole ocean into a myriad of separate and independent communist communities. That would alleviate the need for the central authority, but would be detrimental to trade as each area strives for self-reliance and would find external economic forces destabilizing. Of course, trade reductions lead to across the board drops in GDP, which leads to increased scarcity and then inflation.

Fact is, communism is most economically viable with a strong central authority, which begins to defeat the purpose.

But I freely admit my bias on this matter. I am, after all, a dedicated federalist.

We do have our authority.
    If our peace keeping shoal deem a individual a threat to the greater shoal a warper shoal will take them to the old precursor facility's where they are "corrected"

So what if a predator has to eat prey.

What will be done with the predator?

The "correction" will maintain the food chain don't worry.
    on a compleatly unrelated note the communist red party would like to announce the production of Soylent red to feed family's affected by the anarchists attacks or those who have lost land due to the democratic chaos

Making up propaganda isn't gonna help you win. I know this is a jab at me so again allow me to say once again:

I am not anarchist. I am naturalist.

And please explain in detail this "correction"

Because as far as I know I am the only one creating a document for us to abide by, evaluating it, and consistently editing it.

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun
    1 .a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
    "he must ensure public order in a country threatened with anarchy"
    synonyms: lawlessness, absence of government, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, riot, rebellion, mutiny, disorder, disorganization, misrule, chaos, tumult, turmoil, mayhem, pandemonium
    "the country is threatened with anarchy"
    2. absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

You wish to create a system without authority or government. You also wish to enforce your rules without a governing body

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun
    a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
    "creating a militia was no answer to the army's manpower problem"
    a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities in opposition to a regular army.
    (in the US) all able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service.

You also openly accept genoside to maintain your "equilibrium"

You want to create an anarchist mallitia to keep species in check so you have no opponents

Check
    Your move blaze
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    They allow mass genocide but they also allow the species to overthrow the government
    It's like if during the holocaust if a Hebrew asked to leave a concentration camp the nazi rule ended and a new government was put in place. The whole thing is broken

It still requires a powerful centralized authority to manage the evaluation of need and ability, as well as the distribution of resources and labor. Unless you want to break down the whole ocean into a myriad of separate and independent communist communities. That would alleviate the need for the central authority, but would be detrimental to trade as each area strives for self-reliance and would find external economic forces destabilizing. Of course, trade reductions lead to across the board drops in GDP, which leads to increased scarcity and then inflation.

Fact is, communism is most economically viable with a strong central authority, which begins to defeat the purpose.

But I freely admit my bias on this matter. I am, after all, a dedicated federalist.

If our peace keeping shoal deem a individual a threat to the greater shoal a warper shoal will take them to the old precursor facility's where they are "corrected"

on a compleatly unrelated note the communist red party would like to announce the production of Soylent red to feed family's affected by the anarchists attacks or those who have lost land due to the democratic chaos

Making up propaganda isn't gonna help you win. I know this is a jab at me so again allow me to say once again:

Because as far as I know I am the only one creating a document for us to abide by, evaluating it, and consistently editing it.

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun
    1 .a state of disorder due to absence or non-recognition of authority or other controlling systems.
    synonyms: lawlessness, absence of government, nihilism, mobocracy, revolution, insurrection, riot, rebellion, mutiny, disorder, disorganization, misrule, chaos, tumult, turmoil, mayhem, pandemonium
    2. absence of government and absolute freedom of the individual, regarded as a political ideal.

You wish to create a system without authority or government. You also wish to enforce your rules without a governing body

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun
    a military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement a regular army in an emergency.
    a military force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities in opposition to a regular army.

You want to create an anarchist mallitia to keep species in check so you have no opponents

Check
    Your move blaze

Your points are invalidated.

If I did not want a form of government I would not create the Messorem Administratum which is a set of guidelines for both the government and the fish of the sea.

And I do not accept genocide. I support selective hunting if overpopulation is excessive. What would you do with a population that the ecosystem cannot handle?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Real talk though. When I got a game about surviving and exploring a vast alien ocean, I did not expect it would lead me to intense political debate.

I know right. To think, this all spawned from the US election. I wonder if any of the devs will get in on this "political" action?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Real talk though. When I got a game about surviving and exploring a vast alien ocean, I did not expect it would lead me to intense political debate.

I know right. To think, this all spawned from the US election. I wonder if any of the devs will get in on this "political" action?

Yeah, right? kinda exploded... I'm liking the constitution drafting! Obraxis has cast his vote, that's pretty cool already...
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    I swear, I could see this entire thread as some kind of mod/fan-game :D . The player chooses a creature to play as, and convince the fish of the world to vote for them by writing speeches and constitutions.
    Oh gosh, what ideas have I given people?
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Skope wrote: »
    I swear, I could see this entire thread as some kind of mod/fan-game :D . The player chooses a creature to play as, and convince the fish of the world to vote for them by writing speeches and constitutions.
    Oh gosh, what ideas have I given people?

Muahahaha....
    Forgive me UWE... forgive me...
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    edited December 2016

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun

Check
    Your move blaze

If I did not want a form of government I would not create the Messorem Administratum which is a set of guidelines for both the government and the fish of the sea.

And I do not accept genocide. I support selective hunting if overpopulation is excessive. What would you do with a population that the ecosystem cannot handle?

selective hunting on a sentient species is genoside.

Also your "equilibrium" is already maintained by the environment (when there is low amounts of food the prey would slowly starve and die, when the prey had moved to a different biome because of the low amount of food, the predators in the first biome will also die from starvation. These corpses then act as fertilisers for the plants and the whole cycle starts again) so there would be no need for violent attacks to "reduce" a population.

The only thing the communist leadership would do is make sure every fish from the lowest bottom feeders to biggest swimmers will get equal food to their peers

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun

Check
    Your move blaze

(when there is low amounts of foof the prey would slowly starve and die, when the prey had moved to a different biome because of the low amount of food, the predators in the first biome will also die from starvation. These corpses then act as fertilisers for the plants and the whole cycle starts again)

When there is a low amount of what now?
    Oh, the terrible, terrible shortage!
    ab5726a1y9ow.jpg

Also, here's an graph to back up that second statement:
    shod3bsitacm.jpg

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun

Check
    Your move blaze

(when there is low amounts of foof the prey would slowly starve and die, when the prey had moved to a different biome because of the low amount of food, the predators in the first biome will also die from starvation. These corpses then act as fertilisers for the plants and the whole cycle starts again)

When there is a low amount of what now?
    Oh, the terrible, terrible shortage!
    ab5726a1y9ow.jpg

Also, here's an graph to back up that second statement:
    shod3bsitacm.jpg

Hey it's 11 o clock at night and I'm sleepy and sleepy phantom is communist phantom

It is also weird logic phantom
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    Let's just all accept an undeniable fact.
    That if you want to be a druid in dungeons and dragons in version 3.5, you must be neutral on at least one axis, because they accept that there is an inherent impersonalism in nature.
    edited December 2016
    That if you want to be a druid in dungeons and dragons in version 3.5, you must be neutral on at least one axis, because they accept that there is an inherent impersonalism in nature.

just kidding I'm up for a subnautica themed D&D session, anyone else?

anarchy
    ˈanəki/
    noun

militia
    mɪˈlɪʃə/
    noun

Check
    Your move blaze

selective hunting on a sentient species is genoside.

Also your "equilibrium" is already maintained by the environment (when there is low amounts of food the prey would slowly starve and die, when the prey had moved to a different biome because of the low amount of food, the predators in the first biome will also die from starvation. These corpses then act as fertilisers for the plants and the whole cycle starts again) so there would be no need for violent attacks to "reduce" a population.

The only thing the communist leadership would do is make sure every fish from the lowest bottom feeders to biggest swimmers will get equal food to their peers

Selective Hunting is Selective Hunting. It is of no intention to extinct the population, rather to prevent others from going extinct, fauna or otherwise. But that is not the only way and certainly not the first course of action. It is merely an example. Most of the time the species will be willing to breed less and cooperate with the NVP.

And equilibrium is maintained by the environment indeed... except when it's not. Except when spaceships crash and exterminate hundreds of homes, shifting biomes, creating unnatural phenomenon.

It is good to know, however, that you'd be willing to let predators or prey starve to death and wait several thousands of years before an environment can repair itself. Once again, the government I propose improves equilibrium by removing such threats. Instead of waiting tens of thousands of years for an environment to reproduce itself, some minor interference can create a stable environment. Assuming that the environment will reproduce itself is faulty. You don't know that it will.

Then again, we'd probably starve to death anyway if you expect a Reaper to eat the same amount of food as a Stalker. Or expect a Bleeder to get as much scrap as the Peeper.
    edited December 2016

Before I leave for tonight, I propose a constitutional convention, held in Philadelphia, 1787
    sorry, that's the AP US History talking. A sleepy cambrian is rambling cambrian
    so prepare your ideas, ideals, and constitutional drafts (if you have any ideas)! We'll use the Messorem Administratum as a starting point, and revise/ invent further from there. If the EPCA or the Stalker-Awareness Association decide to officially instate a constitution before then, we'll use theirs, as they are the parties in power.
  • QuillQuickcardQuillQuickcard Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-11-22 Member: 224131Members
    I propose we include a ban on fruit-inhabiting sea sponges.
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members

Before I leave for tonight, I propose a constitutional convention, held in Philadelphia, 1787
    so prepare your ideas, ideals, and constitutional drafts (if you have any ideas)! We'll use the Messorem Administratum as a starting point, and revise/ invent further from there. If the EPCA or the Stalker-Awareness Association decide to officially instate a constitution before then, we'll use theirs, as they are the parties in power.

The Republic of Koosh wishes to inform you that using that document as a base will be seen as putting the NVP in power, and will cause any and all trade, or allying in general to cease.

The Republic of Koosh wishes to inform you that using that document as a base will be seen as putting the NVP in power, and will cause any and all trade, or allying in general to cease.

Trade?

What exactly are you trading? What can your ecosystem offer ours?

Subnaut News wishes to inform the Republic of Koosh that this is a chance to reform the Messorem Administratum, as it is the only constitutional base this planet has to rely on. Any new constitutional ideas drafted by the Republic of Koosh have every chance of being incorporated, or downright replacing anything in the document as of now. Besides, if any word comes in from the EPCA or Peeper Administration (btw I don't think anyone's being a spokesperson for that one yet), their constitutions shall be given priority.
    edited December 2016
    Pass 4

Created some more Addendums
    _______

Messorem Administratum

Addendum 1A:

- The government's role is to act as a force to maintain equilibrium via the efforts of elected representatives.
    - The government shall not interfere with the course of nature if equilibrium is maintained.
    - The government can interfere with natural circumstances if these circumstances disrupt equilibrium. This includes reducing/increasing predator/prey population where need be among other things.
    - Should the government produce attempts to maintain equilibrium but instead greatly damage a particular population or ecosystem, or have any counter effects, if no attempts to stop are found after more than one formal request by the ecosystem's inhabitants, the government can be considered incompetent and overthrown by any means.
    - If the government's effects are a trade off, the government must take into consideration the short-term and long-term consequences of their actions and proceed with the best course of action. This request must be revealed to the ecosystem before it can be justified.
    - If the government proceeds with an action without proper justification, revolt will be justified in 48 hours after a formal warning from the fish of a particular biome or their representative.
    - Before justification can proceed, the representative and the government in question must analyze all potential outcomes. The same must occur before any justified revolt.
    - Actions of the government must be carefully evaluated. This evaluation process must be shared by the representatives of each species.

2A:

- The government shall not impose any sort of superiority on the fish of the sea. There are no "rulers" and "ruled". There are merely representatives.
    - Representatives act as a bridge between the elected government and the fish of the sea.
    - Representatives are only members of a species. Two or more different species can be a part of the same party but each species must have a representative.
    - Representatives can be removed by a majority vote within a party. Should a representative refuse after majority vote against them, force can be used.
    - Votes of removal count for all members of a party and against any representative, regardless of species.

3A:

- The government will have all necessary resources to preform their duties.
    - If the government requires resources that disturb equilibrium, all actions described in Addendum 1.4A - 1.8A must be taken into consideration.

Addendum 1B:

- The fish of an ecosystem are responsible for their own survival. Government interference is for threats to equilibrium only.
    - If extinction is possible, the species will be protected until it is able to return to natural circumstances.
    - Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government in power should they go against the good of equilibrium.
    - Equilibrium is defined as "The condition in which all acting influences are balanced or canceled by equal opposing forces, resulting in a stable system." meaning anything that happens within the ecosystem that interrupts the balance of nature, natural or unnatural, must be dealt with in any means necessary.
    - Neither Predators nor Prey can demand for rights that infringe upon nature.

2B:

* - The fish of the sea have the duty of keeping the government in check via their representatives.
    - Fish reserve the right to overthrow the government if their actions are unjustified or do more damage than good for long-term circumstances.
    - The government reserves the right to punish those who attempt to overthrow the current government without justified cause (IE the government justifies an action with representative approval but a revolt occurs anyway).
    - Actions of the fish against the government must be carefully evaluated. The representatives must be involved with the evaluation process. Recall Addendum 1.6A.

* 3B:

- A revolt against the government that is justified requires the government in the current position to step down.
    - If the governor does not step down within 24 hours of justified revolution, force is encouraged.
    - If the government uses force against a justified revolt, those who help or support the government against the justified revolt shall not be allowed in any representative or governmental position for the rest of their lifespan.
    - Once the government is overthrown, a new representative must take the place temporarily while a new election occurs. First come, first serve.

Addendum 1C:

- The government must interfere with foreign governments should they attempt an action described in Addendum 2.1A.
    - The government must interfere with foreign governments should their actions affect our own ecosystem directly.
    * - The government must interfere with foreign governments should their actions significantly affect our own ecosystem indirectly.

Addendum 1D:

- Humans or other aliens are not to inhabit the sea unless absolutely necessary
    - Humans or other aliens must make a habitat on land.

2D:

- The government reserves the right to kill any human or other aliens that enter the waters without formal approval from the representatives in the region he/she wishes to enter.
    - If the human or alien disrupts equilibrium after a representative has given them explicit permission, the human or alien must be removed.
    - If the representative refuses or the human/alien is not removed within 10 hours, forced will be used and justified.

* Addendum 1E:

- Fish are encouraged to keep to their observable natural behaviors. Any behaviors that are negatively affecting the environment shall be deemed destructive to equilibrium and punished.
    - Behaviors that do not negatively effect equilibrium shall be carefully observed if it is not a part of observable natural behaviors.

Trade?

We have several several species native only to the Koosh Zone, and we would be quite happy to share the benefits of those. Not with you, of course.

Trade?

We have several several species native only to the Koosh Zone, and we would be quite happy to share the benefits of those. Not with you, of course.

Ah yes, the ever-expanding koosh bush trading economy. Sold across the map as a decorative ornament as well as for their nutritional and luminescent benefits, Koosh bush have become an economic staple of the region. DJ-ampeel's music is also another valuable asset of the new independent republic. I hear the up-and-coming artist is incredibly popular in the subnautican music scene.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I apologize for my recent political silence.

As party representative of the Warpers, we will also extend our support to the Koosh Zone by providing medical and technological support where needs be.

To Resolution: Concerning your queries on what the Republic of Koosh, recent studies conducted by our Gastronomists have determined that the Koosh Bush provides sustenance to organisms both herbivorous and Carnivorous in nature. However, it is inedible except to filter feeders due to the unusually high amount of toxins. We are currently making steps to synthesize a harmless variety in this plant, which can effectively remove the concept of predators and prey for good.

Trade?

Ah yes, the ever-expanding koosh bush trading economy. Sold across the map as a decorative ornament as well as for their nutritional and luminescent benefits, Koosh bush have become an economic staple of the region. DJ-ampeel's music is also another valuable asset of the new independent republic. I hear the up-and-coming artist is incredibly popular in the subnautican music scene.

Don't forget the ever rare Sea Crown, which we are still trying to save from endangerment after a certain large green reptile spewed fire all over our land, and the fact that DJ-Ampeel does happen to reside in the Republic of Koosh.
    I apologize for my recent political silence.

As party representative of the Warpers, we will also extend our support to the Koosh Zone by providing medical and technological support where needs be.

To Resolution: Concerning your queries on what the Republic of Koosh, recent studies conducted by our Gastronomists have determined that the Koosh Bush provides sustenance to organisms both herbivorous and Carnivorous in nature. However, it is inedible except to filter feeders due to the unusually high amount of toxins. We are currently making steps to synthesize a harmless variety in this plant, which can effectively remove the concept of predators and prey for good.

I've never heard of a worse idea.

Not only do I know it will not work (Forcing predators to consume a non-native food item as opposed to their natural, healthy, and already current diet is not only unnaturally cruel against the instincts of predators, but no predator would ever accept such a demand. I would not demand prey to eat meat, so why is it okay to demand predators to eat plants?), but do you realize how many Koosh Bushes you'd have to grow in order to feed a population of both prey and predators? You'd essentially have to take the whole reef and expand the boundaries of the Koosh Zone by 80%. You'd be disturbing and destroying natural habitats while you waste time trying to even get enough food for everybody.

Since the Public Health and Safety Party won't tell you the consequences, I will.

- First, either us Reapers or the next largest predators will go endangered or extinct. Reapers require a LOT of sustenance, and we are essentially an equalizer to predator population. We will keep eating for a very long time before we are full enough to begin rest while we digest. It would require days worth of constant feeding to put a handful of Reapers aside and marked as "fed". So the Public Health and Safety Party will either fail to feed us or ignore us for other species.
    - If we are fed, most of the other species will starve before they are even taken care of.
    - The food would likely be distributed by the government as they have to treat it first. Government distributed products is never good. You cannot rely on the government to take care of every fauna of the sea.
    - This is ignoring the fact that expanding the Koosh Zone forcefully will destroy habitats and put species of fauna in danger.
    - Farming Koosh Bush will once again put distribution power into the government's hands rather than the fauna's and it will result in unnatural patterns of plants. Prey can't hide there, and when predators decide they are sick of it, prey will have nowhere to hide. So you're risking exposure of particular prey whom cannot adapt to Koosh Bush Farms.
    - There would be zero transition from our current naturalist system to their communist system. Many would go extinct or endangered before this false utopia is even achievable.

I could go on but I think viewers see the point.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THE ONE LUCARIO THAT IS STUCK ON THE PLANET!?!?
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    BREAKING NEWS
    BREAKING NEWS! Today three Reefbacks were found dead outside of the ILZ (Inactive Lava Zone). All had mysterious burn marks on their shell. The Reapers denied any involvement in the attack. No party claims to know what is down in the lava. This incident has spawned many controversies. Several Warpers volunteered to help with cleanup showing yet again their devotion to keeping public areas clean and safe for all.
    NOBODY THOUGHT ABOUT THE ONE LUCARIO THAT IS STUCK ON THE PLANET!?!?

Please... just no. I don't even have words for this. Just no.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Nobody Thought About The Bases. Nobody Cares About A Pokémon. Nobody Cares About The Oxygen. All That Everybody Cares About Is Stupid Things.