Work Continues! - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    But that ALSO means its not due to calculations being to hard.
    So you were both wrong.
  • roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    IMO, was silly as shit when they whacked em back. Looked awkward, and seemed OP. Whips, imo, should be used to buy you response time, not to totally hold the line.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2015

Whips haven't been deflecting grenades for a long time... that's working as intended.
    cool dude. Become a CDT member.

I know they haven't been deflecting them for a long time now... but that's the thing. I'm pretty sure it was never removed for gameplay reasons, but simply because the calculations required to deflect the grenades were a huge drain on processing power.
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

No... they were removed for gameplay reasons. Calculations involved are pretty straightforward.

Actually I hate to be that guy, but... http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130628/build-249-is-now-live-on-steam-natural-selection-2/p1 .

According to that thread, they were disabled for technical reasons rather than balance ones.
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    So rather than trying a nerf , whacking nades is just disabled, interesting.
    It wasn't disabled for balance reasons, it was disabled because grenades were changed to be predicted client side. This makes them much better to use, but causes technical issues with the Whip whacking, because it is not a predicted action. Given more time and effort there might be some workarounds, but considering that GLs are already so underused, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at the moment.

Looks like they were removed because GL's are predicted client side... not because it was a huge drain on processing power.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    2cough wrote: »
    IMO, was silly as shit when they whacked em back. Looked awkward, and seemed OP. Whips, imo, should be used to buy you response time, not to totally hold the line.
    I agree, except whips need another rewrite so that they actually work. Again, low priority stuff though. Whips have pretty much always been broken.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Aliens just don't need them to whack grenades. Also, it was a hard counter.. which is not cool and against some fundamental design pillars.

That being said, whips are broken as hell right now in general and need some work still.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    they're broken AND useless.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

No... they were removed for gameplay reasons. Calculations involved are pretty straightforward.

Actually I hate to be that guy, but... http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/130628/build-249-is-now-live-on-steam-natural-selection-2/p1 .

According to that thread, they were disabled for technical reasons rather than balance ones.
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    So rather than trying a nerf , whacking nades is just disabled, interesting.
    It wasn't disabled for balance reasons, it was disabled because grenades were changed to be predicted client side. This makes them much better to use, but causes technical issues with the Whip whacking, because it is not a predicted action. Given more time and effort there might be some workarounds, but considering that GLs are already so underused, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at the moment.

I always thought disabling the ability for whips to whack grenades back wasn't a fair one to be honest, if there was a balance issue to begin with, logic would dictate that a whip would only be able to deflect back a % of grenades fired in its direction, IIRC whips could fling back every single grenade launched in its direction, simply deflecting only 50% of grenades would help balance this.

If there is a technical reason would it be viable to fix this eventually in time?
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    Would it help if we made whips root/unroot again? Or were they broken then too?
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Aeglos wrote: »
    They still root/unroot, it's just automatic now. Not sure what your suggestion would accomplish regardless.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I just think that if fades can't do structure damage, grenades shouldn't do player damage
    Mendasp wrote: »
    Aeglos wrote: »
    They still root/unroot, it's just automatic now. Not sure what your suggestion would accomplish regardless.

I thought that could be a cause of animation being played without damage, not shifting between modes properly. Looks like I'm totally off base from your response.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    Nordic wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I just think that if fades can't do structure damage, grenades shouldn't do player damage

That is interesting. Usually I hear it the other way around, that people want it only to do structure damage.

Which was what he said? Fade > Player, Grenade > Structure.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    What about if whips detonated grenades with the whack, rather than knocked them back.

It would make them slow grenade attacks down, rather than hard counter them. Maybe even add a similar "clog armor" to them and cap the ammount of damage they can take* at once (not 50 though, that would be to much reduction)

This way, whips can still defend against GL attacks, but the grenades will explode at the whip, rather than anything behind them, but anything near the whips will also take damage (life forms, crags, shades).

And maybe even have 1 whip detonate 50%* of a gl's grenades so multiple whips are needed to defend an area.

*Values can be adjusted for balance

The way I imagine this playing out would be:

GL attacks hive -> whips detonate grenades before they get to hive;

Aliens cannot go near whips without risking GL damage.

Whips will eventually get destroyed, forcing alien response.

a JP/GL rush gets slowed enough to allow an alien response before the hive takes critical damage.
    It has been so long since whips did anything to GL's. I would be worried buffing whips would mean a buff on GL's is needed.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't worry too much about GLs being buffed, without knocking them back and negating 100% damage, it wouldn't be needed.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    Benson wrote: »
    @BeigeAlert

Grenade Baseball! Im cool with this :D

Sorry, this is not how this works. You cannot suggest things that add fun. That would be a recipe for success, and we wouldn't want that, do we?

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Instead of whips, which I think it's sort of agreed are for slowing down pushes to provide response time, let's....

Increase alien movement speed.
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Instead of whips, which I think it's sort of agreed are for slowing down pushes to provide response time, let's....

Increase alien movement speed.
    I would truly love that. Maybe even some momentum based movement mechanics like the the old b249 shadow step fade. To bad it currently already pushes the limit of the netcode. The current speeds we have are too much for most people to track too.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    Wheeee wrote: »
    rather than knocking back grenades i'd rather have whips knock back jetpackers that are in the air >:D

I... really like this idea. In NS1 webs were a good counter to JPs, slowing them down. In NS2 webs are useless, and there's little reason to build whips -- unless something like were used. I'm sure whips already try to hit JPers, but perhaps make JPers a priority target if in range, and then extend the range the whip can hit. Even better, make it so a JP hit like this isn't just damaged but forced to the floor, in range of all those meaty skulk-fangs... Late game whips would be more useful to slow down JP rushes then, as if JPers didn't want to get knocked out of the sky they'd need to kill the whips first.

• UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Martigen wrote: »
    Wheeee wrote: »
    rather than knocking back grenades i'd rather have whips knock back jetpackers that are in the air >:D

I... really like this idea. In NS1 webs were a good counter to JPs, slowing them down. In NS2 webs are useless, and there's little reason to build whips -- unless something like were used. I'm sure whips already try to hit JPers, but perhaps make JPers a priority target if in range, and then extend the range the whip can hit. Even better, make it so a JP hit like this isn't just damaged but forced to the floor, in range of all those meaty skulk-fangs... Late game whips would be more useful to slow down JP rushes then, as if JPers didn't want to get knocked out of the sky they'd need to kill the whips first.

Instead of throwing bile bombs, throwing a net (or web / glue ball) would remove the visual gap between the whip animation and the range (which already looks weird). It would work on non-JP marine as well.

Same for gorge. The 2 points line is kinda useless sometimes. Having a more important function in late game would be great. When JP are out the gorge is a little forced to heal hive or make a tunnel.

Also it would allow to have a little more gaz in the JP. I understand why it is like that today. Maybe it wouldn't be necessary with these new elements. I think it won't be out of reach.
  • FarewelltoarmsFarewelltoarms gainesville fl Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183603Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're in the final stages of testing the next patch. Probably within a couple weeks or so. We will post when we have more accurate info.

So that was posted on July 6th. It's been 3 weeks since then. How's the patch coming along?

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're in the final stages of testing the next patch. Probably within a couple weeks or so. We will post when we have more accurate info.

So that was posted on July 6th. It's been 3 weeks since then. How's the patch coming along?

Very, very soon. We're doing more than our regular testing to make sure it's absolutely solid. It's essentially complete.
    edited July 2015
    From Trello:
    due to quality control concerns and the need for some additional features to be added for the new main menu, Obby and I have decided to hold the patch until next Wed as the target release. This will give more time for the showmatch to happen too
    Jul 20 at 3:36 PM

I would say dont take this as a confirmed date, but hey, maybe this week!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2015
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I'm pretty excited for you guys to see the hard work that everyone has put in! We just signed off on the trailer that we have been working on for the better part of about 2 months now! It is definitely coming very very soon!
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    2cough wrote: »
    Seb wrote: »
    It is definitely coming very very soon!

So will I be then, HUNGGNNNGHUGHHHHH!

.... sorry if inappropriate. I couldn't resist.

Cleanup on aisles 6 through 12.