Thinking Outside the Hull - PAX East

2»

Comments

• Mattk50Mattk50 Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Posts: 264 Fully active user
    You guys are thinking way too small. Mineral oil cool the blasted things, and then put motorized fishthings swimming around inside the damn computers.

What could go wrong.
    Hugh
  • 0ni0ni Members Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Posts: 231 Fully active user
    Gotta say I'm damn proud of you guys for getting this up on SteamOS. It's super forward thinking of you guys and I hope Valve does all those wonderful things they've been promising to make it as easy as possible for you guys.

@Hugh‌
    What's the best non twitter way to get a hold of you? I think I may be able to help.
    LumpN
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CASuper Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444Posts: 1,779 admin
    Components arrived today for the first prototype: https://twitter.com/Subnautica/status/444573527291613184

We're going to build it over the w/e, analyse the prospects of the whole project, and then make a decision on the other 11... This may happen!
    The fastest way to contact me is via @hugh_jeremy on Twitter! Add me on Steam: Strayan. I do not check forum PMs.
    Keep up to date on what is going on with: Unknown Worlds | Natural Selection 2 | Subnautica
    Chat with the UWE team on Twitter | The best way to be notified about Subnautica updates is to sign up to our development newsletters
    Nordiccoolitic
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CASuper Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444Posts: 1,779 admin
    0ni wrote: »
    G
    @Hugh‌
    What's the best non twitter way to get a hold of you? I think I may be able to help.

[email protected]

The fastest way to contact me is via @hugh_jeremy on Twitter! Add me on Steam: Strayan. I do not check forum PMs.
    Keep up to date on what is going on with: Unknown Worlds | Natural Selection 2 | Subnautica
    Chat with the UWE team on Twitter | The best way to be notified about Subnautica updates is to sign up to our development newsletters
  • LumpNLumpN Members, Subnautica Developer Join Date: 2002-10-30 Member: 1725Posts: 143 Advanced user
    Hugh wrote: »
    It is very hard to show a game without machines, so we need to think outside the hull. What do you guys think about this idea: Unknown Worlds will build 12 mini-ITX 'submersibles' - Small machines with Subnautica branding on them.
    So zis is wat you were sinking about after all!
    Hugh
    This is a prototype SubMachine, running a prototype SteamOS, running a prototype build of Subnautica, being controlled by a prototype Steam Controller:

CpkrUnX.jpg

I'm not sure how much more prototype this shit gets.
    LumpNSoul_RiderVetinaricoolitic
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AUMembers, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Posts: 514 mod
    Hey I love that monitor. Have the same one!
    Howserelodea
    See the prototype SubMachine in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e05L-YH2sBU
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* CanadaMembers, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Posts: 6,615 admin
    Hugh now looks like a bad guy from a 90's action film. I don't trust this plan anymore.
    NAPT
    HughVetinari
  • BensonBenson Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Posts: 1,296 Advanced user
    edited March 2014
    th?id=HN.608015112603043050&pid=1.7

P.S. any chance on just buying the PAX version once the event is over? I dont really have the money or need for a more powerful gaming rig.
    If we are to be damned, let us be damned for what we really are. - Capt. Jean Luc Picard
  • HowserHowser UKMembers, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Posts: 654 Advanced user
    A pre-built, fully tested brand new gaming PC for less than the components themselves cost?! Madness.... I think the infestation on your chin has gone to your head!
    I'm very interested in making the purchase for one as my main rig. When can we get an exact price and component list?
  • VengaboyVengaboy The SwampMembers, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2013-08-24 Member: 187053Posts: 60 Advanced user
    Great idea and very interested. I would gladly take one off your hands when you guys are done with it so sign me up. SN looking better and better.
  • Big_RainBig_Rain AustraliaMembers Join Date: 2014-03-19 Member: 194837Posts: 1
    Would be very keen! I miss out on all the big events out in ozbutt, so would love to see a bit of it shipped out here!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call?Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Posts: 3,191 Fully active user
    How will you be selling these? I am very keen to buy one :) It's a fantastic idea!

BTW Hugh I want your job :)
    For all your gorge busting needs.
    It is very strange how some1 who spend so much time makeing videos to help mans, can fall and take miror image of dark ages bourgeoisie, outdated set of belifs
    How True.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in KodiakMembers, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Posts: 4,771 Advanced user
    Hugh without beard could never hurt gorge plushie
    From my perspective UWE has been trying to both with what little resources they have given to the game. They don't have an AAA budget, let alone an indie game budget. They have the budget of a game that has been out 6 years. I want to say, don't half ass two things, whole ass one thing. I just don't think they have the resources to do it. Unlike many of the people on the forums, I guess I am just happy they are at least trying even though I may not like what they end up doing.
  • VetinariVetinari Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Posts: 3,468 Advanced user
    I figure that I'm a bit late to the party here, but that surely is interesting. Any words on shipping to Europe yet?
    formerly known as F0rdPrefect

I am good Onos
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Members, Reinforced - Shadow Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Posts: 151 Fully active user
    edited March 2014

If I were local I would volunteer to help build them. Maybe you can enlist local help either near UWE HQ or before PAX. And then those who help build get to be on the top of the list for buying them and or get an increased discount on the boxes?
    Post edited by Geekavenger on
    System Specs:
    Intel Core i5 650 OC @ 4.1GHz
    Saphire AMD Radeon HD 7770
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    128GB ADATA SSD
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

My Custom Built Steam Machine: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/Mnm
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind youMembers Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Posts: 1,684 Advanced user
    edited March 2014
    This is a prototype SubMachine, running a prototype SteamOS, running a prototype build of Subnautica, being controlled by a prototype Steam Controller.

I'm not sure how much more prototype this shit gets.

Word prototype used 4 times. Hugh will go 20 years into future and bring back HL4.
    When life gives you lemons, throw it back and demand chocolate.

• LosButchLosButch Members Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63268Posts: 36
    Sign me up for one :-)
  • SirCamOfRonSirCamOfRon Issaquah, WashingtonMembers Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193134Posts: 6 Fully active user
    I cant not get this. I just cant. Cant not that is.

I think I've just confused myself in under 15 words.
  • culpritculprit Members, Constellation Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Posts: 313 Advanced user
    I'm certainly interested in this little box.
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Posts: 425 Fully active user
  • driestdriest GermanyMembers, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Posts: 79
    What happened to this? It was a pretty great idea and suddenly you went silent, @Hugh :(
    Come and join us on Teamplay FTW NS2 server ! The only German server where people know how to use microphones ;)
  • jerfishjerfish Finger LakesMembers Join Date: 2014-04-27 Member: 195632Posts: 2
    Played it at PAX after never hearing about it (last ones in line that were able to play as the even floor closed on Friday - my wife and I!). Awesome idea on liquid cooled sub-themed mini ITX! Oddly enough I saw this thread just now, having just built a Mini ITX last week (after seeing some cases at PAX). not liquid cooled but same processor, Obsidian 250 by corsair case, 16GB 2133mhz DRAM, 500GB SSD, GTX 780 overclocked (EVGA). I'd love to try the game on it...or on my liquid cooled overclocked i7 atx rig...
    @driest prepping some new episodes to talk about what happened :)
  • driestdriest GermanyMembers, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter Join Date: 2013-02-21 Member: 183251Posts: 79
    @Hugh so what happened to the episodes explaining what happened to the submachines? :)
    Come and join us on Teamplay FTW NS2 server ! The only German server where people know how to use microphones ;)