Thinking Outside the Hull - PAX East

HughHugh CameramanSan Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
This coming PAX East 14 (Apr 11 - 13, Boston) will be the first time Subnautica is publicly playable, anywhere. Normally, when Unknown Worlds goes to PAX, a PC maker (often Alienware) provides us with machines. This time, we're up the creek without a paddle - We haven't been able to secure free machines.

It is very hard to show a game without machines, so we need to think outside the hull. What do you guys think about this idea: Unknown Worlds will build 12 mini-ITX 'submersibles' - Small machines with Subnautica branding on them. They will be bespoke, beautiful and feature more power than their small size suggests. They will run SteamOS - So will effectively be 'Steam Machines.'

They will be used to show off Subnautica at PAX. They will be locked in clear cabinets during the show for protection from grubby PAX hands!

Each one will be offered to the Unknown Worlds community at ~5-10% below their purchase cost. You will be able to buy them - And each one of the 12 machines will include the PAX build of Subnautica. That playable build of Subnautica will be made available to no one else, and will the only way someone outside the show floor can get access to the build.

The end result is: You get a custom, powerful gaming machine for less than its cost, that includes a never-to-be-seen-again development build of Subnautica.

What do you think?

Comments

• NakorsonNakorson Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140253Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Pretty cool idea. If i had the money, maybe i would buy one ^^
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I estimate, super roughly, that the cost of the machines would be $600. So it's alot of money, but they would be high performance, high quality machines, not integrated-graphics lumps.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I like the idea Hugh. If you guys wanted to, you could also have a draw for one of the machines itself at PAX. Could be a good draw for people to swing by the booth (if you guys want to eat that much cost).

And at a super ballpark price of $600, that sounds like a sweet price. Especially with the branding.
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Cool idea! Very "out of the box"...
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Comprox wrote: »
    you could also have a draw for one of the machines itself at PAX. Could be a good draw for people to swing by the booth

This is cool - We could definitely wear that cost!

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    saying it now: "SubBoxes". In shiny clean white sub-like finish.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    It sounds like we're building good gaming PCs and selling them at a discount. That's a pretty good deal with or without Subnautica, assuming there are a lot of people at PAX looking for a new PC (which I imagine will be a good amount of people..maybe a minority, but still a good amount).

It may take a bit of work to get SN running on Linux. People have reported issues with the terrain test on Linux, so I guess Unity is not perfect when you're really pushing its limits.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Might want to include a voucher/key for Subnautica when it releases also.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    But I guess overall, I don't like the idea of only exposing a small number of people to the build. I'd rather get MORE people's feedback than less.
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice idea. Free shipping to the EU included?
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Should include secondary raffles for a chance to win SUBway(tm) gift cards. :3
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited March 2014
    PAX exhibit idea:
    Get a large aquarium. In it, place a smaller aquarium which barely holds the sub-PC. Fill up the large aquarium with water and fish, etc. Add plants to hide the wiring. If you can rent the big aquarium, total cost should be under $200.

Live animals always attract more people, doubly so if they are swimming with a gaming PC.
    Hmm yeah why not just use these boxes to demo publically as well? But also let people buy them later? heh. We would replace the keyboards/mouses of course.

Again, the main issue I see is that only 12 people will actually get to see the game.
    edited March 2014
    Now I'm thinking, what if these were really Subnautica branded. To the point of being visibly water cooled? Full custom water loop for the CPU with externally visible and LED lit reservoir - This would bring the price point up significantly, to probably $1,000.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited March 2014
    SteveRock wrote: »
    But I guess overall, I don't like the idea of only exposing a small number of people to the build. I'd rather get MORE people's feedback than less.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Hugh wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking, what if these were really Subnautica branded. To the point of being visibly water cooled? Full custom water loop for the CPU with externally visible and LED lit reservoir - This would bring the price point up significantly, to probably $1,000.

Great idea! I have always wanted to see a pc like this. Also the increased price would be great since it's in low numbers.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    SteveRock wrote: »
    Again, the main issue I see is that only 12 people will actually get to see the game.

Without gorges, do you really think more than 12 people eventually will get this game?

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hugh wrote: »

Probably not worth doing for all of the PCs. Perhaps have 3-4 of the 12 as "showcase" watercooled PCs. Give them place-of-pride in the booth at PAX and offer them at the higher price afterwards. Think of it like the tiers on Kickstarter or in the Reinforcement program.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Any way we could buy just the Dev build of SN? I don't care if I have to buy the full game later.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    "saying it now: "SubBoxes". In shiny clean white sub-like finish." ... How about ... Yellow?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You don't need to go too powerull. Maybe i3's or equivilent with 750ti's. Ssd. An SFX psu. Can be silent and energy efficient. Less effort on your part for building them, no matter how fun, its time consuming.
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it's a great idea. Offering one of them as a reward of sorts is also going to bring in more attention. But I don't think UWE should spend too much efford on these machines, there might be a market for them, but I'm assuming most diehard fans will already have a machine, or if they don't have one, they might be lacking the funds to buy one anyway. I assume that they might get sold eventually, but don't put too much into it.

However the idea of custom building a subnautica machine might be fun for another type of contest? Give away a few access keys to the coolest fan made subnautica rigs?
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Sounds like a sweet deal to me. I'm well over due for an upgrade... any idea of shipping costs of the UK for something like this?
  • LosButchLosButch Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63268Members
    I am actually looking for a computer in that price range for running SteamOS. It would require shipping to Europe but I am definitely interested :-)
    @losbutch I would certainly want these machines to be available in Europe!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is a nice gesture, but why don't you go to them (which every manufacture you are choosing) directly and see if they can let you use some steam machines? Maybe give some of the floor room as there advisement space for it too. There must be someway to do a compromise.
    We've ordered a prototype - Some key features: i5-4670k, GTX 760, SSD335 240Gb, Mini-ITX form factor, and a fully bespoke custom water loop for the CPU.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2014
    I don't want to sound like a nag, and am a hardware enthusiast with water cooling myself, but isn't that a bit overkill? Specifically the i5 and watercooling.
    james888 wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like a nag, and am a hardware enthusiast with water cooling myself, but isn't that a bit overkill? Specifically the i5 and watercooling.

From the games perspective - No, we need to ensure that a very early, very rough Subnautica build runs at 60fps at 1920 x 1080 on the show floor. If the prototype proves OP we can definitely spec down.

From the water loop perspective - Absolutely! Who needs a custom loop on a stock-clocked i5? But any Subnautica themed machine should surely be water-related! Customers could potentially overclock the bejesus out of them after their show floor service, though!

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    If a person were to pay for the system pre-build could they have a little choice in the components? Like I would probably want to go for a very strong CPU for my 3d stuff. And my existing GPU is more than satisfactory. Maybe you could just drop a temp one in? :D
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    i think the idea is pretty good. although i myself cant buy one because for the last 20 years i built my own
    pc´s and simply can not live with something premade.
    the steamOS is a good idea in general but useless unless it supports windows games, because lets face it all the "full grown" games are on windows (simulation/strategy/rpg/shooter) and on linux steam u get 4 AAA-Titles, maybe 15-20 good indi-games and a bucketload of cute little simple minigames.
    dont quote me on the numbers, but thats roughly what i could find for steam on linux.
    to bring in another number: i currently own 269 games on steam only 10 of them would even run on linux.
    what im trying to say is: dont get overly exited about steamOS its a nice idea but its probably gona fall short.

ps: just to wrap up the steamOS arguments: if a gamer wants to play pc games on the tv he is allready doing that, the technology to do that is allready out for like a decade. and yes you could play windowsgames with steamOS if you stream them over your network but people do that since 1995 without steamOS and if your only option is wireless the lag is noticable.