QUESTIONS

shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
I'd like to start off this thread by acknowledging what amazing work UWE has been able to put together. Coming to know them fairly recently, build 240, I have always loved ns2, and the frequent updates and improvements they have made. If any of these questions are in another thread or somewhere else, please redirect me. I looked but didn't see anything.

Now for Subnautica:

Will there be a co-op or multiplayer? sp but maybe
Will it have a first person or third person view? first person
Will there be a story or some kind of campaign, or more like minecraft or terraria? maybe
Will it have randomly generated areas? yes
Crafting system? yes
I know it's supposed to be underwater, but will there be different underwater biomes? yes

That's all I can think of.

Edit: did some digging, found a few
Edit 2: all have been answered.

Comments

• Goliath VietnamGoliath Vietnam Join Date: 2013-01-07 Member: 178080Members
    what is this new project will be ? MOBA like Billizard ? :D
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    shriike wrote: »
    I'd like to start off this thread by acknowledging what amazing work UWE has been able to put together. Coming to know them fairly recently, build 240, I have always loved ns2, and the frequent updates and improvements they have made. If any of these questions are in another thread or somewhere else, please redirect me. I looked but didn't see anything.

Now for Subnautica:

Will there be a co-op or multiplayer? - at least they think it would be awesome, but afaik they focus on sp right now
    Will there be a story or some kind of campaign, or more like minecraft or terraria?
    Will it have randomly generated areas? yes
    Crafting system?
    I know it's supposed to be underwater, but will there be different underwater biomes? - I guess so, as they have basically confirmed "lava areas"

That's all I can think of.

Edit: did some digging, found a few

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    @f0rdPrefect I figured they would make multiplayer, but i'd really like to hear a devs answer on how they would go about doing so.
    Do you have a link to where they confirmed lava?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Will there be a co-op or multiplayer?

Currently the focus is on singleplayer but we have been discussing multiplayer from the very beginning, so it's definitely a possibility, but it's not being developed right now.

Everything is first-person currently.

Will there be a story or some kind of campaign, or more like minecraft or terraria?

Genuinely not entirely sure if there's some bigger meta-story dictating your actions or what, but it's inclined much more towards the "open-world" kind of approach.

Will it have randomly generated areas?

Yes. The world is procedurally generated.

Crafting system?

Yes.

I know it's supposed to be underwater, but will there be different underwater biomes?

Yes.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Underwater Dungeon Keeper/Minecraft! :D

I have to say, I am surprised that you would choose an underwater setting. Ns2 still lacks the water we know from ns1 and yet you make a whole game with water. That might be interesting. I will keep an eye on subnautica. Will the engine be able to handle big and wide underwater environments or will the game be limited to smaller areas?

I have a second and unavoidable question: Once you get the water stuff up and running, will you implement it into the ns2 editor? Mappers would surely appreciate it.
  • MouldyKMouldyK London Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190155Members
    I have been waiting for this type of game for like 3 years. I kept telling friends and people that an underwater procedural world game would be cool.

My dreams are in your hands. No pressure. ;D
  • PaulehPauleh USA Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190157Members
    I'm hoping this game will be similar to Sub Culture, so...

Will trading be involved i.e. collect resources and sell them to underwater stations?

Will there be pirates? (There should always be pirates).

You say it has construction, I assume that means you can build a base of sorts. So does this mean we can exit our submarine to walk around our underwater complex?
  • RoyalJayRoyalJay Germany Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190159Members
    will there be some kind of beta? :)
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Can you confirm you're still planning to use the Spark Engine?

The environs seems quite different to NS2 is all, and I know I saw Unity3D in that YouTube somewhere... probably just prototyping...
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Delphic wrote: »

The environs seems quite different to NS2 is all, and I know I saw Unity3D in that YouTube somewhere... probably just prototyping...

Subnautica is running on Unity 4. Spark is still in active development by Max, Dushan and Brian.

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »

Subnautica is running on Unity 4. Spark is still in active development by Max, Dushan and Brian.

Darn, there goes my hope for transparency.(effect)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

AFAIK Unity 4 has order indepedent transparency support. Spark may still get it some day for the Alien life forms.
    @Insane Thanks a ton. I'm really looking forward to this game.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Will you actually walk around your submarine in FPS? Fix stuff, you know, FTL style.
    @xen32 Can you imagine co-op FTL style? Each person having to repair something different, or manage weapons/shields/pilot. That would make a great space game too. That would be the shit.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    @xen32 Can you imagine co-op FTL style? Each person having to repair something different, or manage weapons/shields/pilot. That would make a great space game too. That would be the shit.
    Try Guns of Icarus Online :) It is exactly what you describe, except it's steampunk.

If you can walk around your sub in SN and it will have coop, I'm totally in.
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Looking forward to it guys!
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    The fact that its atleast single player will make it much more likely that im onboard if I keep liking the concept.
    ns2 takes a lot of my multiplayer time as is. :D

I wonder how many others are onboard due to it being singleplayer. :D
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Here you go: http://pulsarthegame.com/

Basically FTL in First Person with 5 player Coop! Exactly what you've been looking for.

Here you go: http://pulsarthegame.com/

Basically FTL in First Person with 5 player Coop! Exactly what you've been looking for.
    Looks really cool. Would be cooler though with multiplayer. I might give it a try when it comes out. Thanks.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    edited December 2013
    I'm interested to find out what the term "construction" means for Subnautica. Is it world building like Mincraft or maybe vehicle (submarine) building closer to Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and bolts. Both maybe?

I'm also curious about what the actual "point" of the game is supposed to be:
    Is it going to be a sandbox.
    Will it be story driven.
    Will it have combat.
    What will the focus of the game actually be.
    Does it actually have an "end".
    What are/can you be in Subnautica? A Sub, a person driving a sub (possibly able to get out and swim around), a fish of some kind?

I'd also be interested to find out what type of business model Subnautica is aiming for.
    Free to play, Single purchase, Subscription? Will there be Microtransactions/DLC, full Expansions, a combination of both or maybe neither?

I'm pretty sure some of these may have been answered already so feel free to just point me to the appropriate post.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think it's sandbox with a focus on exploration. Firs person is confirmed.

As this is UWE, I can only imagine single-purchase.
    edited December 2013

Not really sure where you're getting this vibe from. UWE only released two commercial games, and I would barely even count Zen of Sudoku since it was just a small side project to earn some extra cash. Hardly enough to speak of a pattern. While single purchase does seem like the best bet because of the apparent single player focus, I really wouldn't be surprised if they went with free to play with microtransactions or even single purchase with microtransactions combo. At the moment the only option that would surprise me is any subscription based variant.

Not really sure where you're getting this vibe from. UWE only released two commercial games, and I would barely even count Zen of Sudoku since it was just a small side project to earn some extra cash. Hardly enough to speak of a pattern. While single purchase does seem like the best bet because of the apparent single player focus, I really wouldn't be surprised if they went with free to play with microtransactions or even single purchase with microtransactions combo. At the moment the only option that would surprise me is any subscription based variant.

They explicitly didn't go for microtransactions or similar instead of reinforced, and reading between the lines I felt like they think the same about f2p and microtransactions like me: It's shameless profiteering.
    edited December 2013
    They explicitly didn't go for microtransactions or similar instead of reinforced, and reading between the lines I felt like they think the same about f2p and microtransactions like me: It's shameless profiteering.

Heh, what do you think Reinforced is F0rd? :)
    I think you're mistaking microtransactions as a whole with the "pay to win" model. Microtransactions can just as easily be based around cosmetic changes, like Dota2.
    Going by your logic, Reinforced is actually quite evil, at least according to your above statement. In essence, you pay a significant sum (more than a AAA title) for bundle consisting of an icon, skin pack, a decal, a taunt and a soundtrack (Shadow tier example). You're even given the option to pay any sum and get nothing more than an icon.

At this point its worth pointing out that I have nothing against Reinforced.
    The bottom line is that Reinforced is very much a microtransaction model. Its simply not natively supported by the game and was added as a clunky tack on when circumstance demanded such a move.

With that in mind, setting up the framework to support such a model from the get go doesn't seem too far fetched at all.
    A microtransaction model isn't evil in of itself. Its all about the implementation.
    I for one absolutely love the way Dota2 did it (Skins, couriers, announcer voicepacks etc...).

Heh, what do you think Reinforced is F0rd? :)
    I think you're mistaking microtransactions as a whole with the "pay to win" model. Microtransactions can just as easily be based around cosmetic changes, like Dota2.
    Going by your logic, Reinforced is actually quite evil, at least according to your above statement. In essence, you pay a significant sum (more than a AAA title) for bundle consisting of an icon, skin pack, a decal, a taunt and a soundtrack (Shadow tier example). You're even given the option to pay any sum and get nothing more than an icon.

At this point its worth pointing out that I have nothing against Reinforced.
    The bottom line is that Reinforced is very much a microtransaction model. Its simply not natively supported by the game and was added as a clunky tack on when circumstance demanded such a move.

With that in mind, setting up the framework to support such a model from the get go doesn't seem too far fetched at all.
    A microtransaction model isn't evil in of itself. Its all about the implementation.
    I for one absolutely love the way Dota2 did it (Skins, couriers, announcer voicepacks etc...).

Reinforced is a donation, supposed to re-finance the developing costs. It's not the business model of NS2 to make profit by reinforcement donations ;)

Reinforced is closer to crowdfunding than to microtransactions.
    edited December 2013
    Reinforced is a donation, supposed to re-finance the developing costs. It's not the business model of NS2 to make profit by reinforcement donations ;)

Reinforced is closer to crowdfunding than to microtransactions.

Call it what you like, its ultimate purpose is to generate money. Yes, it is a form of crowdfunding (backwards kickstarter), but it has no deadline, just a goal that they can extend indefinitely if they wish and I see no reason why they shouldn't. Whatever you call it, Reinforced works just like any other cosmetic based microtransaction model, and once again, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT.
    This thread got derailed. Please only focus on asking questions related to Subnautica.
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    edited December 2013
    Dictator93 wrote: »

AFAIK Unity 4 has order indepedent transparency support. Spark may still get it some day for the Alien life forms.

Not sure what you mean by order independent. But Unity will just render transparent stuff, sorted, with its normal forward renderer (on top of the deferred lighting pipeline we're using for everything else). So...yeah. We'll have transparent stuff in SN.

As a general comment, Unity looks as good as you make it. Graphics tech these days, up to a certain degree, is pretty much a commodity. And as long as an engine is flexible, like Unity is, it can probably do 90% of the stuff you see out there in any other game.