QUESTIONS

13»

Comments

• TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The minecraft map size is huge, it is limited to aproximately 70 times the surface of the earth which is 3,600,000,000 KM².
    Yeah it is excessive

I believe I am correct in assuming that SN will take up more room per metre than minecraft, so perhaps the world size should be limited (but still very large)
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Finite worlds always come with the problem of borders: How do you avoid invisible walls?

You make them visible :)
  • SteveRockSteveRock Join Date: 2012-10-01 Member: 161215Members, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Res wrote: »
    SteveRock wrote: »
    I could see us going either way. I'm not too worried about borders - just have giant cliffs that go way above sea level. Wrap around would be cool, but then you need to make sure the edges match up some how. I suppose we could just make the edges like flat-barren land or something that would match up with anything... Yeah, I dunno. Not really swayed either way.

Couldn't you say, copy/mirror the map at the edges to each other. So say, the west edge of the map is copied/mirrored to the east edge, so you wouldn't need flat edges. If that's technically feasible in a procedurally generated terrain..... I'm pretty sure in map editors for other games (well at least hammer since that's only one I have experience with,), you can copy/mirror like that and then put an invisible "portal" at the edges. Biggest problem would be when it comes to models/props.

You could, but that mirrored part still needs to flow smoothly into the rest of the stuff inside. So you're still left with the same issue. Anyway, I don't think it's a huge issue.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Giant cliffs could look a bit arbritary, though. If you don't do them properly. Which you won't. Why am I even writing this? You ARE going to find a feasible solution ;)
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Or the game could just awake Cthulhu in front of you if you get too close to the edge of the world :P (vision fades into darkness, creepy sounds the closer you get, whatever... lots of ways to do this)

No weird cliffs needed.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    Or we could just add Cthulhu, just because.
  • TwigTwig Australia Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189225Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members