Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I put this in Samus' thread but figure I might as well put it here too.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

I think it's some map object related error as it HAS HAPPENED to me on official maps. But on this map it happens 3/5 times. But don't misunderstand, it is NOT unique to this map. Just more common.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Has anyone ever noticed Lerk weapons jamming, bite and spikes? I think I might have found a comparison to gun jams.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @samusdroid I play Lerk a lot and haven't had any weapon jams apart from running out of energy. The gun jam is something to do with jumping as that happens to me loads and it's always after a jump. Maybe specifically related to jumping between different heights?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Gun jamming is maddening and is easily the single oldest and most difficult to reproduce bug.
    It can happen when you get stomped
    When you reload
    when you are just firing without jumping
    when you are firing and jumping
    when you are firing and swap weapons
    when you get spit and are jumping and firing

Basically.. its an animation system issue and while i'm no coder, i bet it has something to do with the update rates not being properly timed with tickrate updates (20 vs 30)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @jekt
    IT FINALLY HAPPENED TO ME
    5OmQtuu.jpg

And the fact that it happened on a shine server really sucks because i wanted to rule out mods on that one..
    Repro'd by gestating as lerk and pressing B repeatedly just before hatching
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    Never seen it happen as anything but skulk tbh, only seems to happen if you press B right after spawning.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Gun jamming is maddening and is easily the single oldest and most difficult to reproduce bug.
    It can happen when you get stomped
    When you reload
    when you are just firing without jumping
    when you are firing and jumping
    when you are firing and swap weapons
    when you get spit and are jumping and firing

Basically.. its an animation system issue and while i'm no coder, i bet it has something to do with the update rates not being properly timed with tickrate updates (20 vs 30)

Should just unlock tickrate/update rates :> Something probably needs to be changed to be able to run at a higher than 30 tick rate though, so just unlocking update rates would be a good start, interp too.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Its probably really nitpicky but the edges of infestation end with a hard edge instead of the soft transition that its meant to
    @killer_monkey
    Can you provide a screenshot (and are speaking of rich or minimal because no work will be done on minimal)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    @killer_monkey
    Can you provide a screenshot (and are speaking of rich or minimal because no work will be done on minimal)

I know you've said this before. But I really wonder what percentage of people use minimal infestation that can justify as to why this is the case. It's essentially covering all of Cory's sexy textures with broken pieces of jagged green tape.
    @jekt
    Percentage of use does not determine this.
    It not being what the developers want to put forth as a feature in their product (whether fixed or not) is what determines this.
    I believe the only reason it is still an option is because of the rage that would come from some of the comp community.

That being said, i think you could easily tweak Rich infestation to find a happy middle ground between the two.. but i don't think that's going to happen anyways.

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    @killer_monkey

I know you've said this before. But I really wonder what percentage of people use minimal infestation that can justify as to why this is the case. It's essentially covering all of Cory's sexy textures with broken pieces of jagged green tape.

A lot of people use minimal infestation as currently the only thing rich does is obstruct vision and take up resources.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Everyone who uses minimal infestation does so for that reason. Just like every other immersion effect in the options that is swiftly disabled by the same group of people. Yet those features are part of Unknown Worlds product. A product released for a highly configurable platform attempting to cater to wide variety of people.

For these reasons I don't buy the developers not wanting minimal infestation to be an option in the first place to be a valid reason for its current state. If this was the case, why not remove all the graphical options. Clearly having them disabled isn't representative of what the product can look like, and what the developers of the product want you to see.

Would people rage if it was removed? Absolutely. I don't want bubbles and fps loss for added atmospheric and immersive effect. Since I don't play multiplayer games for this reason. And personally, I don't understand why anyone would. That doesn't mean I, and a considerable amount of people that share my reasoning want to look at a buggy green mess either.
    Yes i know the reasons. I don't make these decisions, however.. Just explaining.
    So fast. I wasn't even able to get my standard 5+ edits in. I know you're just explaining. Just sharing why I don't think it's an excuse.
    edited November 2013
    @jekt
    That was in response to shonan's post ;)

Edit:

And not to be a stickler, but lets try and keep this thread about bugs, and not technical arguments on what should or should not be implemented / worked on.
    I've already given my personal opinion on the matter, internally as well as publicly, as well as relayed the requests i've read in these forums .. hell there's even a High priority report made 264 days ago. (multiple, in fact)

Feel free to start a new thread to continue such a conversation, or to inquire.
    Thanks for understanding
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Seen it a few times. Took a screenshot this time
    Ym1EHhG.jpg
    @elodea
    Yea i've seen this.. easy to repro too. I'll check if its reported
    Does it provide negative effects in games like infestation that just takes too much to kill? Can imagine it would play hell in whipped areas
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    @elodea
    Yea i've seen this.. easy to repro too. I'll check if its reported
    Does it provide negative effects in games like infestation that just takes too much to kill? Can imagine it would play hell in whipped areas

Silly Ironhorse, I already fixed these things and reported them to the map* maintainer, you should not have any pathing issues if they were all implemented. Its a nasty pathing issue where there is pathing under the floor, causes game breaking issues.
    Edit: typo....autocorrect...
    Bam. Samus on the case.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was actually taking about rich infestation and haven't posted in this thread before, bit nice job with the assumptions
  • AceDauntlessAceDauntless Join Date: 2013-05-16 Member: 185253Members, Reinforced - Gold
    SGHumxk.jpg

Its been doing this the last couple patches.
    Open your console and see if it is spamming an error (I can pretty much guarantee it is) probably a nil value or something) and send the log here on pastebin or upload the txt file in AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/log.txt
    Drifters can't build gorge tunnels off infestation. If you put one near an unbuilt gorge tunnel, it'll do the building animation but no progress will be made. Perhaps they don't add any building rate to tunnels on infestation either, although difficult to notice as they build pretty rapidly regardless of having no builder.
    edited November 2013
    I don't think a drifter can build anything off infestation..edit : they build hives.
    And i kinda feel that's how it should be.(especially considering the state of those GT right now) Do they build hydras? Never even tried doing that..

I'll check with sewlek before I report anything
    Drifters automatically try to build hydras and babbler eggs. Again though, unsure if it makes any progress.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well if drifters aren't supposed to speed up tunnel building, they shouldn't be showing the build animation, should they? So it's definitely a bug, the question is just which one... ;)
    Is the sever queuing system ever going to be fixed to be an actual queue? I'm sick of sitting in queue for 20 minutes only for 3 people to get in before me that didn't load the game until after I did due to lucky/unlucky refreshes. By that I mean when in queue your game will refresh the server every 10s or so and if there's a slot it'll join, but if there's a slot between those 10 seconds and someone else refreshes they get it. A proper "In queue: 1 of 3" would be very appreciated.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Could you change that protolab cannot research anything without AA or even better you need AA to buy jetpacks/exos.. After protolab drop its just better to sell AA and upgrade jetpacks, because AA is pretty much useless (pretty common in these days).. In ns1 you couldnt buy jetpacks/heavy armor if AA was down or sold. AA was tied to protolab while in ns2 it isn't + it had viable weapon the HMG
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Don't know if it's fixed but I think it goes the same direction as @elodea pointed out:
    youtube.com/watch?v=kMsnre18yrg
  • AnakieAnakie Sweden Join Date: 2013-11-09 Member: 189233Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Hello, I'm not sure where to post this but: where is the new patch notes for the changes yesterday (nov 26th)?