Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

Comments

• _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse and @narfwak Thanks for the quick answer and taking your time. Good to hear from people beeing closer to the dev, stops the speculation.
    Concerning the PG I've been trying other stuff, like have a fellow skulk intentionally block it and position a fade or more skulks at the near pathway up to the PG.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I highly recommend biting only the sides of the PG, with no one blocking the entrances /exits.. this allows for a marine to spawn through the gate how you would expect, and allows you the ability to quickly strafe (you should be able to go faster just strafing on the ground than the marine who comes through) and bite.

Just remember due to lag compensation that the marine has the advantage when you are holding still as an alien and he comes through the gate.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That would be true (the marine having the advantage) if not for the split second delay a marine gets every time he goes through a phase gate, which is enough that he stands there dazed without knowing he's through (or holding W but doing nothing else) for long enough that a skulk can get a free bite in.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    He doesn't get a split second delay anymore as of the last 2 patches with PGs being predicted clientside now. Hence why its now instant to teleport, but takes a brief moment for entities in the scene to populate.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I see, to an extent that amounts to the same problem though right?
    Not exactly.. If anything i suppose the time it takes for the entities to populate on screen would account for whatever advantage the marine had from being "the first around the corner" so to speak. *shrug*
  • ShotoSelectionShotoSelection Join Date: 2005-01-23 Member: 37558Members
    @IronHorse
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ShotoSelection
    Latest patch should have fixed most of those windowed issues.. are you still experiencing any currently?

Yes, alt-tabbing in fullscreen windowed mode will minimize the client.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    He doesn't get a split second delay anymore as of the last 2 patches with PGs being predicted clientside now. Hence why its now instant to teleport, but takes a brief moment for entities in the scene to populate.

The delay now is waiting for the aliens to even load in after phasing. I've phased where it has taken at least a second for what is on the other side of the gate to even appear. Nothing to shoot at, no idea where anything even is, dead. Nice gate grind.

Also been noticing weird bugs with pgs. Like phasing through the one in base and appearing out of the same one in base. Good times.

• xnorxnor Join Date: 2013-09-06 Member: 187916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    What's the status on vsync?

No matter if I enable double or triple buffering, I get this nasty input lag as if the air was replaced by slimy goo. Unplayable.

So the only choice left to at least limit framerate is by using maxfps <X> in console, but this gets reset on every map change. Annoying.
  • crymearivercrymeariver Join Date: 2013-08-29 Member: 187185Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Since it was confirmed as a bug in the thread about it:

What is the status of the fix for cysts spreading infestation through walls?
    @shotoselection
    I have Alt-Tab from Full Screen Windowed D3D11 crashes NS2 reported on Sept 13th, but nothing mentioning improperly minimizing. May i ask what renderer you are using?

@jekt
    This method of prediction is far preferable to dying before you are able to react. At least now you can erratically move about and distance yourself while the entities populate, instead of having zero control, sitting there like an easy meal.
    Phasing back to same gate is medium priority and was reported on Sept 1st, and currently sits in Stage 1 as we do not have reproduction steps. (we've repro'd it.. just not consistently.. something about jumping through or touching an entity or client/server sync. *Shrug*

@xnor
    The only Vsync reported is regarding opengl losing FPS with it enabled. Are you using opengl? (its in beta currently for this reason as well as others) We recommend DX9 fullscreen for the best experience.
    FYI that Maxfps command was created in alpha days, and is meant only as a debugging tool for developers - it should not be used by players unless they are aware of the side effects and downsides that it comes with. Be aware also that almost every form of frame limiting will incur input delay by it's nature. Triple buffering helps but is not perfect.

@crymeariver
    Oddly.. and sadly.. it is not reported whatsoever.. which is surprising given how long its been like this (since the very first 2d implementation in alpha days) hmmmm...

@Ironhorse
    @shotoselection
    I have Alt-Tab from Full Screen Windowed D3D11 crashes NS2 reported on Sept 13th, but nothing mentioning improperly minimizing. May i ask what renderer you are using
    I use D3D9, but I just checked and the problem still exists when using D11. I'm not sure if it has been officially reported, but here is a thread on it for more information: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2158469
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge tunnel hitbox being seriously broken. Can only damage it when shooting at the base. Blocks all bullets on anything else behind the tunnel.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    What is planned for the next patch, if there is one?
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    There seems to be a bug with gorge tunnels when you enter them you briefly see just the skybox and get a small frame stutter, I think it does it on biodome but might just be worse on that map.
    @Ironhorse
    @shotoselection
    I have Alt-Tab from Full Screen Windowed D3D11 crashes NS2 reported on Sept 13th, but nothing mentioning improperly minimizing. May i ask what renderer you are using
    I use D3D9, but I just checked and the problem still exists when using D11. I'm not sure if it has been officially reported, but here is a thread on it for more information: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2158469

Update: Windowed mode acts like fullscreen windowed mode for me when i set the game resolution to my desktop resolution and will not minimize on alt-tab. This is a good enough solution for me.
    @shotoselection
    Thanks looking into it
    Windowed mode acting like fullscreen windowed mode when resolution is the same as desktop is intentional behavior, glad it works for you :-P

@jekt
    Argh.. that is an oldie, thanks for the reminder. Reported March 13th. Bumping it's priority to High.

@ricez
    That shooouullddd be fixed in this latest patch? Texture streaming is somewhat permanent /always on now. (the option in the menu is benign)
    If you can do me a favor and type "r_loading true" and "loadtimes true" and then finally "profile" in the console (~ key) just before entering a gorge tunnel, and then once you jump in the tunnel and experience this, press the spacebar and take a screenshot of the tallest frame at the bottom of the screen (hopefully the hitch you're talking about) by using the bracket keys to shift left or right by one frame at a time.
    Then take a screenshot of the console as well. (f12 key)
    Then imgur link them both here or in a PM.
    Thanks

@ns2isgood
    I was waiting for someone to ask this question, as it seems like an obvious method to recreate what was best about pivotal tracker, hehe
    I will only list the bugs, and never balance checkins, for obvious reasons.

DISCLAIMER: Any of these items are subject to change and may in fact not fix anything. It may not even come out in the next patch or ever. It might be a complete lie. Do not get your hopes up and do not say i promised you anything. :bz:
    dead end gorge tunnel entrances can no longer be entered. They will show now a specific pose depending on if they are connected or not to fix the confusion when having multiple tunnel entrances in one room
    Fixed nano shield sometimes failing or possible to apply at dead units but still costing resources
    Improved behavior and client side misprediction of grenades
    Waypoints and pings will now fade out when aiming at their direction
    Dynamic props now have a default model (Thanks Samusdroid)
    Optimized animation computations
    Fixed moved crags/shade/shifts being ignored by sentries and ARCs
    improved behavior of flame thrower fire effect when colliding with a surface
    fixed main menu background sound continuing playing when menu is closed (thanks Mendasp)
    fixed wrong side of the gorge tunnel flinching when attacked
    fixed some icons staying greyed out in alien tech map once requirements have been reached
    fixed skulk aligning their model in mid air to other players / entities they are about to collide with
    fixed gorge tunnels dropable in areas which marines can\'t reach
    fixed heal spray effects being visible to marine commander without LOS
    fixed script error preventing an unbuilt gorge tunnel entrance to be consumed when a third one is being build
    fixed marine HUD health bar appearing corrupted when leaving command station at low health
    fixed biomass UI and tech map sometimes not showing tooltip info for commanders
    Fixed lighting and other graphical artifacts in OpenGL
    Fixed Old Gorge tunnel exit still visible on minimap after moving it
    Fixed Gorge Healspray effect visible to marine comm without line of sight
    Fixed Linux/OpenGl Alt tabbing while loading map results in black textures

Thanks everyone for your inquiries
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    fixed gorge tunnels dropable in areas which marines can\'t reach

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My gorge tunnels!
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    The observatory still doesn't pick up cysts? I thought this issue was reported a long time ago and was to be fixed extremely fast...

This creates an easy win for aliens to be able to cyst into base and echo whips at any point in the game when marines push out with jetpacks and rely on the obs to beacon back...
    @jewbear
    This has been reported 3 times in the past and fixed once. Yet.. strangely enough all reports have disappeared from records.
    Fear not, it was reported just 2 days ago by a new PT and it's priority is medium.

@f0rdprefect
    What.Ever. I have no sympathy, lol..
    An alien phase gate/GT right from the start for the "mobile" team is crazy enough... getting them in unreachable places like pipes in conduit or chasm or pipeworks or terminal or generator etcetcetc that early in a round, just plain sucks for Marines. There shouldn't be anything in this game without even the smallest of a soft counter. :)
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Good to know...thanks!
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @f0rdprefect
    What.Ever. I have no sympathy, lol..

You sociopath :D
    An alien phase gate/GT right from the start for the "mobile" team is crazy enough... getting them in unreachable places like pipes in conduit or chasm or pipeworks or terminal or generator etcetcetc that early in a round, just plain sucks for Marines. There shouldn't be anything in this game without even the smallest of a soft counter. :)

Well, make Gorge tunnels researchable again. I think most of those locations are map issues, not tunnel issues. Plus marines can get into most (all?) of them.
    Only once they have jet packs, which they do not at 1 minute in.
    Coincidentally on a 18 player server last night, we marines had the early game edge on refinery, with 5 rts... looked like GG until one gorge tunnel took all of our attention trying to take down without grenades or JPs.. Jumping ontop of one another, failing to reach the place where skulks kept raining down from.

The fix does not address gorge tunnels (i agree in regards to your research suggestion ) but rather where they can be placed.
  • xDragonxDragon Join Date: 2012-04-04 Member: 149948Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    For cysts, are you referring to cysts not showing up as sensorblips when scanned? (like eggs)? Or the passive obs detection doesnt pick them up?

Because IIRC cysts shouldnt show up on either, which was intentionally done.

Another note, ScoringMixin (used for adding score) uses the Server.SendCommand function to send the updates to clients. This sends the client a 256b network message with the update, which while not a huge problem on its own, if there are a multitude of players around getting points updates, can use up quite a bit of network traffic. Would seem like an easy optimization to change it to use a network message to send the int update for about 4b.
  • CoelispexCoelispex Join Date: 2013-07-17 Member: 186172Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To developers only:

I would love for a new alien life-form, do you have any future plans for this? :)
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    @xdragon
    Well one of those is reported then, and awaits a developer's rejection of the report.

I'll forward your scoringmixin information

@coelispex
    You're in the wrong thread, friend. :)
    Its just me in here, and you wont find anything bout future content or balance - just bugs.

@beigealert
    See the list i posted above in spoiler tags, it may not be possible. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know if i get back here in time.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    @beigealert
    See the list i posted above in spoiler tags, it may not be possible. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know if i get back here in time.
    Passively fixed by fixing "exploit"
    You can't build tunnels in vents anymore, so this should not be a problem :P
    edited October 2013
    So this has been in the game for as long as I can remember too. Since trams last overhaul anyway.

Sometimes when you try to place a structure in hub. It appears in the corridor just above repair that goes to ore processing. Not sure if it happens with aliens. Seen it happen to a pg, armory and robo on marines though.