Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

Comments

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @IronHorse

If its now possible I'd love to know about what's changed regarding raw input / input in general.

Also here's a bug with the profiler thats popped up now, makes it impossible to produce images of poor performance situations:

The buttons for going forward and backward in the selection (left - right) are broken. I am using a Finnish keyboard and its impossible for me to change the view. This wasnt going on before, related to the changes to input?

Also:
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    @IronHorse:

I got regular freezes up to 5 seconds in Build 257. I want to make you screenshots form the profiler, but my german keyboard layout (qwertz) doesn't recognize [ and ]. How can I jump through the profile steps? Those freezes killing me. Literally! And makes playing really frustrating. Plz help me on using the profile with my keyboard layout so I can send in screen shots from those freezes.

• ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Is there some kind of disconnect between the playtesters and UWE? I've seen (multiple times now) playtesters mention that large bugs (such as yesterday's menu bug) were reported, and the patches were released anyways... it kind of seems like UWE doesn't even pay attention to you guys.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    edited September 2013
    Is there some kind of disconnect between the playtesters and UWE? I've seen (multiple times now) playtesters mention that large bugs (such as yesterday's menu bug) were reported, and the patches were released anyways... it kind of seems like UWE doesn't even pay attention to you guys.
    We have 4 stages.
    Stage 1. Reported. Playtesters and Devs (+ The stuff the community reports.)
    Stage 2. Confirmed and a dev is working on it. Devs
    Stage 3. Fixed. (This is where the Playtester confirm the fixes, or decline, and have the dev have a 2nd look/ fix it again)... Sometimes the community fixes stuff aswell.
    Stage 4. Stuff that goes into the live steam build.

A bug dosnt magicly goes from stage 1 to stage 4.
    Its allso a matter of time spend, if UWE could only release a patch (or even the game) bugfree. Well, then you woudnt have a NS2 to play. As more bugs turns up all the time.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @roobubba
    Yea we're looking into that echoing issue.. very odd.
    Parasite sound playing upon a structure being built... i hate to ask but after listening for it.. are you sure? lol.. i hear a quick wisp sound that is similar to parasite, but it is not para.. just part of the intended sound effect. A youtube video with this audio would be helpful in determining if we're on the same page here.

@the_welsh_wizard
    Does this problem with the editor still exist in the latest patch?

@jekt
    Evolve to NO STRING - I have never seen or heard of that, and its not reported 0.0 .. does it stay like that? And yes.. start recording.

@f0rdprefect
    Need repro. Nothing reported. Next time try changing audio devices in the options.

@shonan
    As you know by now probably (Sry i didnt get back here 24 hrs later) input delay has been reduced from 5 frames to 3. This is according to the engine's maker, Max, who used a 240 fps camera and tons of measuring over the past few weeks.
    Should be improved across all renderers, but DX9 fullscreen benefits the most afaik. The problem for dx9 was merely a line of code that was not limiting the number of pre buffered frames. According to Max, now that its fixed, by default it will do 1 frame buffered. In theory you can set it to 0 in the options which would reduce it to 2 frames of delay, but that would probably reduce FPS.. so be warned.
    If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

@mrfangs
    I bet you liked seeing your suggestion appear in the latest patch, huh? ;)

@davil
    Hello former PTer! As i mentioned previously the egg teleporting bug is not a bug, but intended by the developers. I suggest you seek general discussion forums to try and change their minds!

@nailo
    Thanks for the repo!

@roobubba
    I smell trickey! What is this? This is not inquiring about bugs!? ;)
    I agree that alien vision is not done properly. I recommended Huze's "minimal alien vision" mod to model after for contrast, and use two distinct color sets for enemies (marines) and friendlies (aliens) so that the screen isn't one giant orange mess.
    Alas, for a multitude of reasons and developer decisions the vision is where it is now... but.. the lack of color distinction is solely due to an engine limitation that according to Max is very difficult to fix. (i believe him when this man says these things) Everyone, including devs, seemed to want different colors too.. This is a touchy subject, and it's future is unknown

@ritualsacrifice
    Again with trickery! there is no bug inquiries here!?

But to answer you anyways: Yes and No.
    Yes there is a disconnect in that we do not dictate their actions or plans or designs, UWE will do what UWE will do. They always have final say of course. We merely advise.
    And No there isn't, in that we give feedback and reports just like anyone else does, but they pay way more attention to us and put a lot of weight behind what we say. (like if we say X is paramount to being fixed before release)
    In this particular special case you mentioned its answered by *haunting music* FRIDAY RELEASES!
    Long story short... PT leads are always there to potentially say "NO, do not ship it like this!!" before a patch goes out...... unless its on a day when no PT leads (or many PTs at all for that matter) are present and able to say such a thing. (Friday ninja releases)
    So yea.. we do report and we do keep a high level of communication occurring, and typically its a well greased wheel that operates in a triage environment. (meaning sometimes patches DO go through knowing X , Y , and Z are broken for reasons) But occasionally an unscheduled release or breakdown of communication can lead to what you saw there..
    Poor Brian has to deal with MOUNTAINS of data coming at him from a plethora of sources.. its not surprising that one little high priority report that was in Stage 2 (ty gisp for explaining) got missed when someone was not present to object.
    Good news is: We're fast to fix it at least.

Regarding non American keyboards : It is known and being worked on, but not actually reported. Lost non American keyboard support when they swapped to SDL input handling. In the mean time there are some cool virtual keyboards / programs out there that can simulate American ones. I'm unfamiliar with their names though :/ Will update when i know more.

Regarding evolve upgrades not showing : I finally experienced it the other day, but it was so fleeting and brief, it automatically corrected itself. Hmm.. would like to see what your logs say with r_loading true and loadtimes true entered in the console after you've joined the RR.

Lastly... I know its tempting, everyone, but if you could try to keep this thread solely about Bugs, their priorities, whether they're reported etc etc i would appreciate it.
    If you truly want to know the inner workings stuff you can always PM me.. i'm very responsive and deal with at least a handful of messages a day. I just feel like publicly explaining things is just far too much pressure for me as it either sounds like white knighting or throwing someone under the bus. :-/

Thanks again to everyone for their inquiries and contributions!
    Feel free to keep em rolling
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @f0rdprefect
    Need repro. Nothing reported. Next time try changing audio devices in the options.

Fixed it. Was a problem on my end.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ironhorse wrote:
    @roobubba
    I smell trickey! What is this? This is not inquiring about bugs!? I agree that alien vision is not done properly. I recommended Huze's "minimal alien vision" mod to model after for contrast, and use two distinct color sets for enemies (marines) and friendlies (aliens) so that the screen isn't one giant orange mess.Alas, for a multitude of reasons and developer decisions the vision is where it is now... but.. the lack of color distinction is solely due to an engine limitation that according to Max is very difficult to fix. (i believe him when this man says these things) Everyone, including devs, seemed to want different colors too.. This is a touchy subject, and it's future is unknown

@ironhorse
    I posted it here because I assume that a change that gives even 1 user horrible headaches isn't intended behavior. The very minimum change should be a pair of colour sliders to change background and highlight colour for alien vision. There has been no word from any Dev about this change, for example why it was even deemed necessary. Personally I think it makes the game look a whole lot worse, in addition to being hopeless.

Is there a way to get back the old alien vision as a mod? It still leaves us comp players screwed with the textures and clutter (I refuse to cheat the NSL consistency system), but would mean I can play on pubs again without the headaches...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I opened editor and a map and closed it sometimes - these times there was no error, seems to be fixed.

I can't say if the move tool bug still exists because since the latest patch I got the "black dev textures bug" too - so I haven't used the editor the last days.
  • FlurdFlurd Join Date: 2013-09-22 Member: 188411Members
    Found out today that it's very easy to get stuck as a fade on biodome, in the vent between Alley and Condensers.

As you enter the vent from Alley, go up and stick to the right, tried it a couple of times and got stuck easily every time.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @mrfangs
    I bet you liked seeing your suggestion appear in the latest patch, huh? ;)

The transparent tech tree background? Hehe, yes. :P
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Flurd wrote: »
    Found out today that it's very easy to get stuck as a fade on biodome, in the vent between Alley and Condensers.

As you enter the vent from Alley, go up and stick to the right, tried it a couple of times and got stuck easily every time.

This one is known and reported; happened in a test game just last week, actually.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    What about the lighting not being restored when the power is repaired?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    That happens when the node is cysted upon being rebuilt. I don't see how this COULD be a bug.

EDIT: Kill the cyst the lights will come on.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hrn, OK. Seemed random to me, wasn't aware of cysts preventing the lights coming on - even though the power is repaired ???
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I do find it inconsistent that cysting an ALREADY built node won't turn the lights red.
    That sounds gross.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    One thing that has been getting on my nerves: When you have the evolve menu open and you click but miss the button, your attack fires. This wouldn't be a problem except in the endgame when I have a tendency to respawn with xenocide selected. This means that half of the time I respawn at the end of the game, I kill myself with xenocide in my spawn location.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I know it has been discussed in PT but it appears to not be a report. I will put one in about it.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    moultano wrote: »
    One thing that has been getting on my nerves: When you have the evolve menu open and you click but miss the button, your attack fires.

Haha this happened during a gorge rush we sat all even cloaked just behind the lines of an Obs then 6 people all evolved to george - 1 skulk missed the button and Loudly Attacked by that hectic missclick.
    Surely enough there was a marine right around the corner welding a dying node in cafe and commander scanned all of us instantly before we even became gorges! :P all i can say: bloody shotgun massacre.

if you are in the menu clicking things it should atleast not count that 1 missing click or else imagine if your buying thing in armory and you missclick you fire rifle randomly as marine or place mine or is that also something that is happening right now? have to try it...

• joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    any news on the exclusive "kill em all..." taunt?
    its a small thing but i'm excited to use it!
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I get errors and memory leaks etc. reported in the console should I take a screenshot of it and report somewhere?
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    any news on the exclusive "kill em all..." taunt?
    its a small thing but i'm excited to use it!
    It's already in and works. The female marine has quite a few taunts so even if you spam taunt it doesn't play very often. There probably should be some system to prioritize that taunt so it plays more frequently if you have access to it.
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    what? its only for the female marine?! it doesnt say that in the reinforced page =((
    joohoo_n3d wrote: »
    what? its only for the female marine?! it doesnt say that in the reinforced page =((
    Yeah, that should probably be more clear. For whatever reason it's impossible to replicate the original style of the male marine voiceover work. We actually got some new VO stuff for the male marine very early on in the internal workings for Reinforced (before it was even called that) but it was absolutely horrendous and we had to cut it all and go back to the original.
    Being able to use the tunnel exit even though its been destroyed.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I also have the occasional upgrade bug where they dont show if you quickly press V after hatching, also sometimes if I have just that instant got the res to evolve a trait and quickly do it I get rejection for apparently not having enough res.

The cyst bug. I saw this on decent recently when aliens start fab, but as far as I'm aware thats not a new bug its done it for a few builds now. Thats the only fresh start cyst bug I know of. I've saw a few others where midway through the game it will no longer let you cyst a certain path, possibly caused by losing a hive then trying to cyst back to that tech point (I recall having locker & cafe hive, losing cafe hive, then not being able to cyst to cafe through bar and having to go through courtyard till the hive was back up, then cysting through bar was fine)

Also appologies if It's above but I didnt see it mentioned, sometimes you phase back to the same location? I dont know if this is meant to happen because the gate on the other side is obstructed? Another thing I was on mineshaft yesterday and could not get through a pg because an arc was on it, people were able to telelport through but not get back....
  • waxxanwaxxan Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172047Members, NS2 Playtester
    pro7otype wrote: »
    About the not being able to cyst:

I've no idea how to reproduce, but sometimes (probably less than 5%) when the game starts Alien Comm can never ever Cyst. Game has to be restarted to fix it. This bug is definitely real.

My own bug:

I bought a diamond supporter badge, and after a short period (less than 24 hours) of being able to use emotes, now no emotes work. (no medpack, no taunt, no ammo, no chuckle etc etc).

A friend had your emotes problem. Solved by checking NS2 files in steam.
  • darkhunt333darkhunt333 Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165414Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Nice, I like this.

Forgot about shotgun bullet release delay/strutter/freeze and the network damage reporting issue that's plaguing the game. ;/

UPDATE:
    It turned out to be a huge bug, causing all sorts of hell to the game. (networking etc)
    It isn't fixed for this patch, but this and the memory crashing issues are the two top issues for next patch.
  • KiloKilo Join Date: 2013-09-01 Member: 187529Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice, I like this.

Forgot about shotgun bullet release delay/strutter/freeze and the network damage reporting issue that's plaguing the game. ;/

UPDATE:
    It turned out to be a huge bug, causing all sorts of hell to the game. (networking etc)
    It isn't fixed for this patch, but this and the memory crashing issues are the two top issues for next patch.

^ Was from this thread: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131917/shotgun-stuttering-freeze-frame-on-fire-252
  • ReubotReubot Join Date: 2012-10-15 Member: 162374Members
    Alt+tabbing causes textures to go black - retrying two times fixes this but leaves some textures looking blurred/very low quality. Only the team join waypoints are visible if this happens when you're in the readyroom.

@IronHorse
    Btw, the first post should list all these issues, so that people won't have to go through all the pages to find out if their issue has been reported already. Maybe put them in a spoiler tag or something. Google docs requires a google account login, so that isn't a very good place to gather this information. And you can just as easily just copy/paste them in the first post.

Also, the thread title is a bit ambiguous. Maybe make it more explicit that this is a BUG REPORTING thread, instead of "questions about random issues".

Cheers.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Being able to use the tunnel exit even though its been destroyed.
    Should be fixed next build.
    Reubot wrote: »
    Alt+tabbing causes textures to go black - retrying two times fixes this but leaves some textures looking blurred/very low quality. Only the team join waypoints are visible if this happens when you're in the readyroom.
    Should be fixed next build.

Caveat: We haven't verified either fix in S3 yet since we've been working more on getting a new content delivery system for internal builds set up but at the very least they are known and there were checkins related to both.