VisualC++ runtime fatal error since 2days

Comments

• dToxdTox Join Date: 2013-03-13 Member: 183939Members
    This is getting really irretating now! Crashing on map rotation, etc.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yeah when exactly is the patch, since you fixed it already?
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Probably as soon as they decide on the balance changes and the other bug fixes they want to ship along with this fix before the 12th.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • TomD22TomD22 Join Date: 2010-12-28 Member: 75995Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    When its done. ®

Just please don't tell us Valve time!

• PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    244 was planned for today. but wil be out tomorrow.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    tbh I prefer 'when its done' to 'release early and increase suck' any day.
  • ArgoshArgosh Join Date: 2011-01-21 Member: 78474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's done, however I just got the error again. Needs some more testing.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I just experience another Visual C++ error mid game. the fix didn't fix it apparently :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    So!
    Good news for those still getting this.
    No longer do you have to try and use windows' task manager to capture a large dump file that may potentially be useless. Instead:

When NS2 crashes do not close any windows or popups or dialogs. /do not close ns2 or this wont work.
    Navigate to your NS2 install folder and run Techsupport.exe.
    Now follow the instructions.

This will create a dump file thats way more useful than window's and is an easy way to find the source of the crash!
    Thanks!
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Unfortunately while C++ error is open I am unable to open ANY folder. it effectively renders my computer useless until I close the error pop-up (which in turn closes NS2). I will try having the folder containing Techsupport.exe open while I play to see if i can run the exe when i next crash. I'll update with details of outcome later :)
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @kasharic
    try the following to force use of your computer.
    * running in windowed mode
    * more alt+tab
    *alt+L (will lock the computer, but many times when you unlock, focus is not on the game executable)
    * have program open before hand as you stated
    * alt+l+ login another user. (unsure if the techsupport recognises the right one then)
    After playing for 5 hours straight I didn't get a single DC/crash... it may have been a one off... I will keep an eye on it and try everything suggested if I crash again.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    b244 definitely fixed this issue for me.

3-4 crashes per session down to 0 crashes per session.
    since that 1 crash, I've had no issues what-so-ever. I've had around 11 hours of un-interupted game playing. Looks like it was a one off.
    edited April 2013
    Same here, only 1 event that completely locked up my system (a few days back), playing on Tram.
    No idea what caused it...but I do know that ALLOT of fighting was going on at the same time, with on top of that - me as skulk, accelerating at a rediculous speed.
    System locked up during my leap forwards.
    Might have been a combination of lag and sound, that proved to be to much?
    Just crashed. Ran tech-support.exe here it is :)
    edited April 2013
    thanks @kasharic

Edit: that does not contain a dump.
    If it wasn't clear above (ill edit it to make it more clear) like making any dump file for any program, you must run techsupport.exe while ns2 is still open (or hung)

So if it closed completely, running tech support exe wouldn't produce it.
    Is this what happened for you?
    NS2 was still running and the C++ error pop-up was still up too... although, my steam decided to stop me from playing around 20 minutes ago to apply a patch... I'm thinking I've been playing without updating... will get back to you with that.

Quick off-topic question, prior to me patching I was getting server lists of over 500... i'm now getting less than 100... any reason for this? :S
    Yes, the servers haven't all updated and only ones with the same version as your client will be shown.
    edited April 2013
    b235: The return of VC++

Yeah it's back, just crashed, ran the tech support tool, saved the zip, will upload now.

EDIT: Lol'd at the dmp file being in a folder called "minidump".

EDIT 2: tech_support.zip
    edited April 2013
    EDIT: Oops, made a new post.
    @ghosthree3 : Forwarded to devs, thanks.
    Just had another crash, tried the tech-support.exe again, still didn't get a crash dump from it... tried navigating to the taskmanager 32-bit via your previous instructions to create a crash dump myself and it says It can't perform the action because i don't have the right access, tried through task manager the normal way for me (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) can't create dump file. but creating crash dumps works fine on every other program :S
    any idea how I can go about sorting this so I can be of use? :)
    ensure you're running as an administrator maybe? Idk should work just fine, like it does for ghost? :shrug:
    I use the built in admin account each reformat so I don't get these kind of issues :shrug:
    Thats the thing, I am running as admin... in every way I can (as far as I'm aware)
    If i find a way to get it working I'll post next time I crash, if not I'll refrain from posting to try and keep clutter in this thread down :)