ns2_hera

Comments

• swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2012
    Wow this map is going to be a blast.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    I just hope you aren't reimagining things just to put your own mark on it, i appreciate that some things won't translate from one game to the other but there should definitely be some care taken to actually make these locations recognisable. From what is on show so far that does not seem to be the case. If it passes that the layout and locations are unrelatable from the original than it brings into question whether this should be referred to as hera or something else entirely. I await your take on something as iconic as the holoroom before passing judgment, but those would be concerns i'd be thinking about right now.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2048328:date=Dec 20 2012, 01:26 AM:name=Supernorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supernorn @ Dec 20 2012, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2048328"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just hope you aren't reimagining things just to put your own mark on it, i appreciate that some things won't translate from one game to the other but there should definitely be some care taken to actually make these locations recognisable. From what is on show so far that does not seem to be the case. If it passes that the layout and locations are unrelatable from the original than it brings into question whether this should be referred to as hera or something else entirely. I await your take on something as iconic as the holoroom before passing judgment, but those would be concerns i'd be thinking about right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've stated once or twice that we are not actively attempting to recreate Hera in the sense how Eclipse and Veil are very much a modern remake of their respective originals, I discussed with the original creator about Hera and he made it clear that we had to give it our own identity which, i believe, we have done so and he appears to be happy with it.

As for it not being recognizable we have kept a rough layout that is very similar to the NS1 version and there are various nods to the theme from the original located throughout the MS but seeing as how it's a rather large room (and the screenshots posted don't really show everything) the only way to really understand or actually see that we have kept a few recognizable designs is to play it (Or post a load of new screenshots).

The rest of the map we intend on the locations being more or less the same, iconic areas such as Holoroom, Data core Delta and Archiving we will be trying to keep their overall look but for the sake of NS2's game play they have to be carefully redesigned to some degree.

Remember, this is more a re-imagining than a remake as the information of the thread suggests, but we will be trying to keep it some what recognizable to the original Hera.
  • NousWandererNousWanderer Join Date: 2010-05-07 Member: 71646Members
    I'm looking forward to this. Everything you've done looks wonderful so far. I'd echo a preference for the yellow/golden lighting of the original map, but I'm not passing judgment of any kind until I see how your imagining looks in-game. Can't wait!
  • omaoma Join Date: 2003-06-04 Member: 17001Members
    This was my favourite map in ns1, i know most of the ppl din't like it but for me it has given some of the best memories!!!

SO +1 make it happen, and btw those pics looke really cool a bit different than the other maps, hopefully you will change the evening sun to something else (its just so common on these maps :'()
  • semihandysemihandy Florida Join Date: 2012-05-24 Member: 152537Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Silver
    Omg, yes please. I can't wait to try this out. Thanks so much!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    looks great, but i miss the CC being on the 2nd floor in MS/accessible through an elevator or ladder.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=2056492:date=Jan 5 2013, 05:00 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jan 5 2013, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->looks great, but i miss the CC being on the 2nd floor in MS/accessible through an elevator or ladder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I get pangs of nostalgia when I think back to that, but it's just impossible for NS2 at the moment with there being no elevators, and the aliens' (justified) inability to climb ladders.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=2056492:date=Jan 5 2013, 05:00 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Jan 5 2013, 05:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2056492"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->looks great, but i miss the CC being on the 2nd floor in MS/accessible through an elevator or ladder.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I remember that pretty well but there's a reason as to why it was changed an moved down to ground level since it was quite difficult for the aliens to siege the CC.
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
    I don't know if somebody or you mentioned about this, but i really hope if that Hera Entrance(Reception) would be another techpoint and be one of the possible initial spawn point for marines. It would be awsome! Then, probably the only problem must be that it's too close from Archiving, but i don't think it would be that problematic, cos you can just put a weldable door(with new entities) like original one, or just move it a bit back from each other.
  • DTEDTE Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28412Members
    Bring back that little platform in the corner in (former) double! :D
    I used to gorge up there with OCs until they removed it :(
  • MisterYoonMisterYoon Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155747Members
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    edited February 2013
    I've been extremely busy with some freelance contracts and I'm fairly sure Janos has been moving house etc so neither of us have had time to dedicate here.
    BUT, I know Janos is back working on some really good stuff and I have a few days free this week so we should have some some exciting updates to show soon.
    Cheers :)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    UWE should make this map a freelance contract for you guys.
    Yeah we are working away on it, like Alibi said I've had a few issues with moving and he's been busy as hell these past few weeks/months so we haven't had a terrible amount of time to work on it.
    That said I'm back to working on Hera as often as I can and I know Alibi is working on it in the spare time that he gets. We have a few things up our sleeves to show off in the next week or so keep an eye out.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Bumping for inescapable screenshot demands.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't wait to see some updated shots alibi!

Really looking forward to when this map is out!
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Briliant as always !
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Very excited for this
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    really lovely lovely stuff!! you tease!
    I know janos i from the UK, so when he's ready to test the gray boxed version my server is ready when you are!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Great brushwork and lighting. With the very clean aesthetic we've seen from the currently revealed portions in the map I'm a little intrigued on whether you two will keep the gritty/grungy aspect of the maintenance to ventilation side like the original, or opt to have the clean theme like the rest of the map.

Looking forward to the next batch of screenshots.
  • paologerochipaologerochi Join Date: 2010-04-25 Member: 71534Members
    man, I should go kill myself because this is sooooo amazing...

Great brushwork and lighting. With the very clean aesthetic we've seen from the currently revealed portions in the map I'm a little intrigued on whether you two will keep the gritty/grungy aspect of the maintenance to ventilation side like the original, or opt to have the clean theme like the rest of the map.

Looking forward to the next batch of screenshots.

Yeah we are actively attempting to keep ventilation grungy and dark as much as possible, also the map doesn't quite have the whole 'clean' theme, it is rather grungy in a few areas ;).
  • RemedyRemedy Join Date: 2011-06-16 Member: 104735Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    Great work as always, why is there no 'Wet Floors Caution' sign? ;p
    Remedy wrote: »
    Great work as always, why is there no 'Wet Floors Caution' sign? ;p

Those are a WIP, expect them as a new feature in the next update!
  • Death_by_bulletsDeath_by_bullets Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27336Members
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    Looking great, but my need for eye candy has not been fully satisfied! More more more!
  • PogoPPogoP Environment Artist Join Date: 2004-01-31 Member: 25827Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited March 2013
    Looking very well done.
    Do keep in mind to minimise the total number of light sources in the map. Don't use more than one point light to boost the bloom on lamps. Try and not do it for every single light fitting either. Keep Specular disabled where you can. You will find that you will need to sacrifice the better looking appearance of your level in favour of performance.
    Remember that all light sources are interacted with by a scripted game mechanic, the more lights the more work not only on the GPU to render them but on the CPU for the scripted sequences. You need to be creative with the lights and try to achieve the same initial desired look but with fewer lights.
    All the official maps have had hundreds of lights removed because we tried to make them look too pretty.
This discussion has been closed.