Infestation spikes OP

elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi, spikes are op. I trapped 5 marines in reactor core for a minute or so and then we killed their CC.
Please reconsider this game mechanic.

Comments

• _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Infestation-spikes are cool. But yes, they have the potential of grief. The cooldown has to be way higher and maybe they should be destroyable.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--coloro:#aadd00--><span style="color:#aadd00"><!--/coloro-->I was wondering when this situation would get posted about. Hilarious as it is in the short term for the aliens, as Fana (I think) said a few days ago and I'm in full agreement: spikes are an abomination.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why are they even in the game? they are redundant with gorge clogs and even more useful since they are indestructable.

terrible idea + terrible implementation.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    also quite buggy. spawn a spike on a marine? He cant move till it's gone, and it's impossible to get out of as its frucking invincible (or damn near to it!)
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1948873:date=Jul 5 2012, 12:21 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jul 5 2012, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi, spikes are op. I trapped 5 marines in reactor core for a minute or so and then we killed their CC.
    Please reconsider this game mechanic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I thought well played and observed, quick reactions that thwarted our attempted early game shotgun rush (all be it rather haphazardly organised).
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    You don't have to look any further than SC2 forcefields to see how messy features like this get. I don't think it's necessarily impossible to find a good implementation, but it takes time, effort and sacrifices on other areas of gameplay to get such thing working. In general I'd say it's not worth the development time unless you really have some very solid reasons to go there.
  • SkugganSkuggan Join Date: 2010-03-19 Member: 71017Members
    We tried it.... it blows.... remove it.....

Atleast make it killable it is so stupid at the moment.
  • TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
    To introduce such a feature at this stage of the game is far too bold. Fortune did not favour UWE this time.
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    The first time i heared about it I thought it would be like small traps that the comm can build cloaked and when a rine steps on it small spikes come out of the ground and slow down the rine + dealing a small amount of dmg (rly small). I would like a solution like that, cause it is not op and it can still help a bit.

And I don't like it if you are loosing and you command a last rush for a hive "to save the honor" and all get blocked by 1 mere spike and sniped down by aliens. It is horrible to know as player that you can't even overcome sth like that with skill or pure luck.
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1948958:date=Jul 4 2012, 07:38 PM:name=Tweadle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweadle @ Jul 4 2012, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To introduce such a feature at this stage of the game is far too bold. Fortune did not favour UWE this time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, very much this. It changes the whole positional game in situations it's used. That makes a huge difference in a dozen things.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Beacon is your friend.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    I'd much prefer a slowing effect trap instead of one that completely stops. been looking forward to a way alien commanders can have direct influence in a fight but spikes might not be the way to do it.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Delete it.

Completely unnecessary mistake.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited July 2012
    Well I like them so nuts you all. Although there could be better things, someone suggested vines that shoot out of the ground and slow marines/drag JPs down. Still they could certainly benefit from being killable and perhaps having a longer cooldown (so you cannot chain them the way you can now).
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    I hate cysts enough as it is, infestation spikes are just... they make me want to kill myself. We've only seen the tip of the iceberg with them, you can use them like forcefields in SC2 to split marines, provide cover for aliens while you build 3 whips right there, if you hear them beacon to rush a hive you can spam spikes and flat out deny it with 3 t-res. Etc. Etc.

They are <b>immortal walls</b> you can put up anywhere with 100% uptime.
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1948984:date=Jul 4 2012, 01:48 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jul 4 2012, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Delete it.

Completely unnecessary mistake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+9001 agree.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1948962:date=Jul 4 2012, 12:22 PM:name=[AwE]Sentinel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([AwE]Sentinel @ Jul 4 2012, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948962"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    The first time i heared about it I thought it would be like small traps that the comm can build cloaked and when a rine steps on it small spikes come out of the ground and slow down the rine + dealing a small amount of dmg (rly small). I would like a solution like that, cause it is not op and it can still help a bit.

And I don't like it if you are loosing and you command a last rush for a hive "to save the honor" and all get blocked by 1 mere spike and sniped down by aliens. It is horrible to know as player that you can't even overcome sth like that with skill or pure luck.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I completely agree, i too figured from the documents that it would be akin to a mine - counter-able in some sense.

If it was counte-rable, i.e., you could see a small patch of differentiating goo or something.. then it might be interesting and fun, like a meta game to set it off or avoid it completely. (throwing your pistol onto it?)
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After more thinking, infestation spikes <b>could work</b> if UWE implements dual cost energy/tres.

>_>. Bring back energy!!
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    Aliens need a mine equivalent. Infestation spikes should have been that.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    edited July 2012
    Infestation spike adds a lot of great options and situations to the game.
    Tweak it perhaps, but definitely don't remove it.

Extremely fun to use as the alien comm.

Part of it is also that marines need to be wary about trying to fight on the infestation, for a lot more reasons than just the spike.
    Dealing with spikes can be as easy as simply killing cysts before advancing into an area.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1949105:date=Jul 5 2012, 01:31 AM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 5 2012, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation spike adds a lot of great options and situations to the game.
    Tweak it perhaps, but definitely don't remove it.

Extremely fun to use as the alien comm.

Part of it is also that marines need to be wary about trying to fight on the infestation, for a lot more reasons than just the spike.
    Dealing with spikes can be as easy as simply killing cysts before advancing into an area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Question:
    How do you kill cysts when the alien comm can afford to drop 5 for every 1 that you kill?
  • xorexxorex Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148550Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1948984:date=Jul 4 2012, 12:48 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jul 4 2012, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1948984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Delete it.

Completely unnecessary mistake.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    I really dont understand why they were added. I thought we already learned that commanders blocking other players with armories was bad, why would this be any better?
  • TimMcTimMc Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143945Members
    I like the idea, and how it makes the alien commander more involved with the battle. However needs to be counterable - perhaps by flamers?
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I don't think commanders should intervening more directly in the fights. We already see the problems that nanoshield+medpacks brings.

We can look at force fields in sc2, they are super strong, protoss almost always get a bunch of sentries. They sometimes prevent the opposing army to micro at all, which is quite boring. They also had some cheese problems, like blocking your opponent in their base forever by blocking their ramp. Even though they have some interesting aspects, they also hurt the game in many ways.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1949115:date=Jul 5 2012, 04:27 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Jul 5 2012, 04:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949115"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really dont understand why they were added. I thought we already learned that commanders blocking other players with armories was bad, why would this be any better?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    funny thing is armoury blocking was not even anywhere as bad as infestation spike. Two armouries are the same length as a spike. Thats 10 times the cost for something that was easily destroyed and didn't block the majority of lifeforms anyway. Design goal conflict to the max. Even if spikes are changed to take damage more like clogs, you still end up with a mechanic much worse than armoury blocking.
  • NammNamm Join Date: 2011-12-08 Member: 137116Members
    Make spikes vulnerable to flamers. Looks nice and makes it less broken and boring, perhaps...
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Spikes would be fine if they would cost more res (5 tRes seems good) and they really need to be counterable. Not only with flamer, but the flamer could kill them really fast. In exchange for their vulnerability they could stay longer.

Don't remove them, they are really fun and add tons of new game situations. They are just imbalanced right now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949147:date=Jul 5 2012, 11:47 AM:name=_Necro_)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (_Necro_ @ Jul 5 2012, 11:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Don't remove them, they are really fun and add tons of new game situations. They are just imbalanced right now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Take a look at SC2 forcefields. They make engaging hard and remove micro possibilities. They are also very much essential and game deciding in almost every engagement where they're not countered by EMP, massive units or some huge flank. In NS2 context I could see them being even more game breaking with doorways splitting marine groups apart, forcing melee range figths and so on.

Had these been introduced a year ago, I'd be interested in the potential interactions with the game. Right now I feel there are a dozen things where the dev time should be going rather than trying to make a problematic extra feature play along with the rest of the game.
    edited July 2012
    Sorry, I don't play SC2 and can't argue about this force field. But I think it could be easy to balance the spikes, just with the right idea.
    Maybe they could be destructible with one axe hit and the flamer but with no other weapon? Would make them useless to block marine advance but would make them useful as a help in combat, where a marine can't just switch to the axe because he is dead before killing the spikes.
    Or a cooldown of 30seconds would make them only be used in deciding situations.
    Maybe a huge cost increase will balance them.

There are many possible solutions to the problems they produce. But I haven't played long enough with them to know and rate the importance of every problem. If so, I will make another thread with pro and cons and solutions to the cons.

I'm just thinking that removing an unpolished feature before anybody has even tried of imagining solutions is not the right way. It would be a real loss.