Infestation spikes OP

Comments

• rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2012
    FYI. The spikes currently are a place holder. So don't get your undies in a bunch over them, everyone. :)

It has been said that they will be refined/polished, but just getting the idea into the game was a bit more important that doing a fully completed feature that has the possibility of being removed down the road.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1949204:date=Jul 5 2012, 07:53 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Jul 5 2012, 07:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949204"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->FYI. The spikes currently are a place holder. So don't get your undies in a bunch over them, everyone. :)

It has been said that they will be refined/polished, but just getting the idea into the game was a bit more important that doing a fully completed feature that has the possibility of being removed down the road.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure how UWE wants to refine this? Blocking players from above is a terrible feature - that's the main function of spikes, no amount of polish is going to change that. If they want player-placed temporary cover, they should refine the Gorge's clogs.
  • KrovakonKrovakon Join Date: 2012-05-20 Member: 152332Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949105:date=Jul 5 2012, 01:31 AM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 5 2012, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Infestation spike adds a lot of great options and situations to the game.
    Tweak it perhaps, but definitely don't remove it.

Extremely fun to use as the alien comm.

Part of it is also that marines need to be wary about trying to fight on the infestation, for a lot more reasons than just the spike.
    Dealing with spikes can be as easy as simply killing cysts before advancing into an area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Pretty much this.

If they were to increase the cost of cysts and the rate at which infestation dies when the cyst dies. It'd probably work out perfectly fine since Flamethrowers just eat through cysts. It'd give a great reason for flamethrower research to be done earlier.

Perhaps increase the cooldown on it so the cooldown is 3-5 seconds longer than the duration.

Marines are EXTREMELY powerful together, So having a skill that 'CAN' separate them for a few seconds is a crucial skill for the alien Khamm

Especially since exosuits are going to be OP As ###### for a few builds.

Overall I think it's fantastic. Marine commanders can drop ammo and medpacks ANYWHERE, while Alien Khammander can only deploy spikes on infestation to protect his aliens or section off marines for them to pick off.

Just needs some tweaking done.
  • rhombusrhombus Lerk Queen Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106055Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1949213:date=Jul 5 2012, 02:11 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jul 5 2012, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949213"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure how UWE wants to refine this? Blocking players from above is a terrible feature - that's the main function of spikes, no amount of polish is going to change that. If they want player-placed temporary cover, they should refine the Gorge's clogs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The spikes model is temporary. So obviously if it's going to be refined a lot of these grievances will be taken into account. Also giving clogs more damage resistance/health is out of the question.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1949223:date=Jul 5 2012, 09:12 PM:name=SabaHell)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SabaHell @ Jul 5 2012, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The spikes model is temporary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Obviously, but I don't think anyone in this thread complained about the looks.
  • RiseRise Join Date: 2012-04-17 Member: 150595Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949109:date=Jul 4 2012, 09:51 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jul 4 2012, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Question:
    How do you kill cysts when the alien comm can afford to drop 5 for every 1 that you kill?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First, that's wasting a lot of resources.

Second, they take only a split second to kill as they are newly placed trying to rebuild.

It's not difficult to stop the infestation from respreading if you are in an area.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949226:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:27 PM:name=Raza.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Raza. @ Jul 5 2012, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously, but I don't think anyone in this thread complained about the looks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The looks contribute to how the spikes block the hallway. When the new model is implemented it won't be from floor to ceiling.. so the model has very much to do with the issues of the spikes.
  • JoracyJoracy Join Date: 2012-06-17 Member: 153367Members
    I don't think blocking the players is that bad of an idea if it's done right (spikes aren't really the same as using a building to block key areas) but they really do need to be counterable in some way, and perhaps a bit less spamable.
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    idea???

Change it to "infestation clog", basically just an instant clog-wall, (not as high as the infestation spike) and a lot weaker then the clogs created by gorges.

This way you can temporarily break up marine-squads, but the marines can also just spam a grenade into it to get through.

Maybe make it vissually distinct from the gorge-clog, maybe innitially just with a diffirent texture or something
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    This seems to be a pretty clear rift with many 'experienced' players on one side and the rest on another.
  • cake.cake. Join Date: 2012-01-12 Member: 140165Members
    edited July 2012
    I keep coming back to this topic and i still don't see why spikes are such a huge problem for some people besides the "big mistake"; "remove them durr".
    They're fun, they're not a game changing mechanic, they add a lot to both teams: makes the marine player feel like he's actually in an always shifting environment; and helps aliens brake that core marine team work.
  • elmo9000elmo9000 Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149324Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949235:date=Jul 5 2012, 11:05 PM:name=cake.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cake. @ Jul 5 2012, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949235"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I keep coming back to this topic and i still don't see why spikes are such a huge problem for some people besides the "big mistake"; "remove them durr".
    They're fun, they're not a game changing mechanic, they add a lot to both teams: makes the marine player feel like he's actually in an always shifting environment; and helps aliens brake that core marine team work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not game changing? How is completely halting marine movement for unlimited amount of time not completely breaking the marine play? Sometimes i just dont know if all the people here are playing the same game.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    edited July 2012
    I guess the main arguments are :

- It's not fun to be toyed around by an invisible, omniscient commander, instead of fighting players.

Even charlie agrees (almost) with this :

"Commanders shouldn’t be able to do direct damage (violates perceived fairness in shooter)."

- It's not fun to fight static defense instead of players. There is too much static defense fights already.
    - From starcraft 2 force fields experience it's seems hard to balance, prone to cheesy strategy, and can impair ability to micro in an unfun way.
    - It's redundant with the clogs.
    - Maybe there is more important things to fix first.
    - It's incoherent with the removal of armory blocking.

I let someone do the positive arguments, I can't do all the work here :)
  • LPCLPC Join Date: 2002-04-07 Member: 384Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited July 2012
    yeah game-changing for sure in the current state, that's why I suggested something milder.

last game I had the alien commander denied acces to tram hub (the center node on ns2_tram?) while the aliens where chewing up our base (in tram hub).
    he could just pop up another infestation spike a few meters further and there we stood again, facing a wall. followed by being cornered by a fade.

without these spikes we probably wouldn't have lost that base. that is seriously game-changing!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    OK, here's a suggestion.

We have Umbra which impairs shooting (and to a small degree, vision) but does not impair movement.

What if the commander had more of a membrane/mesh instead of spikes? Rather than being super walls, have them block large slow objects while allowing fast projectiles through, meaning:
    Membrane is transparent.
    Marines cannot move through membrane or fire grenades/flame through it.
    Bullets/shotty pellets punch through membrane and travel as normal.
    Membrane has health that ticks down till it dies, and cannot be healed in any way.
    Hitting the membrane with anything other than bullets/pellets will hurt it, accelerating its death.

Aliens cannot move through membrane.

Why?
    Alien comm still gets that "gotcha" tactic, but must be more careful how they use it. If marines are within sight of alien players/structures, <b>they can still shoot and kill</b>, despite being trapped.

Combos are still possible - wall some marines off with membrane, then teleport a whip or two right next to them to cause some chaos.

...or we could just give gorges their web back :P
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    What about traps? the commander lays a trap, akin to a mine that is visible?
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949256:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:25 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 5 2012, 03:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about traps? the commander lays a trap, akin to a mine that is visible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Direct damage/player impairing things on t-res/commander abilities seems like a bad idea.. like cysts, they will get spammed to no end late/mid game and make the experience miserable for everyone.

Unless you put a hard cooldown of 30-45s on it, I don't see stuff like that being viable.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949256:date=Jul 5 2012, 05:25 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 5 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about traps? the commander lays a trap, akin to a mine that is visible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This please.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Direct damage/player impairing things on t-res/commander abilities seems like a bad idea.. like cysts, they will get spammed to no end late/mid game and make the experience miserable for everyone.

Unless you put a hard cooldown of 30-45s on it, I don't see stuff like that being viable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Give it to the gorge. Allow the Com to research them and gives them to the gorge players.

Edit: Actually, another idea is allow the Alien Com to still place them, but they don't grow by themselves and still require a gorge to build them.
  • MiniH0wieMiniH0wie Join Date: 2007-11-25 Member: 63013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949241:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:21 PM:name=elmo9000)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elmo9000 @ Jul 5 2012, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949241"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not game changing? How is completely halting marine movement for unlimited amount of time not completely breaking the marine play? Sometimes i just dont know if all the people here are playing the same game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

It's funny because when people questioned the same thing about stucture blocking that Marines used to have, a lot of people said that it was a legit tactic, but now.....

I kind of like the spikes but I do agree they are a bit much and need some reworking.
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949261:date=Jul 5 2012, 06:11 PM:name=MiniH0wie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MiniH0wie @ Jul 5 2012, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I kind of like the spikes but I do agree they are a bit much and need some reworking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Possibly such as a "mine" that the Alien Com and place, but requires a gorge to build it as it doesn't grow by itself. Instead of a giant wall that protrudes from the ground and inhibits the marines from passing, maybe just a single spike that when triggered pierces the marine, damaging him and immobilizing him for a second or so.

If Marines can use mines that instagib skulks early game, Aliens should have some kind of equivalent to influence pathing/movement.

Or just give it to gorges, make it cost 2-3 pres.
  • GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1949117:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:19 AM:name=TimMc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TimMc @ Jul 5 2012, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like the idea, and how it makes the alien commander more involved with the battle. However needs to be counterable - perhaps by flamers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a bad answer to a bad problem.

Problem: Infestation spikes lasts too long and is a huge negative ability that has no counter.

Bad answer: Introduce a hardcounter (flamethrowers) where if you don't have the hardcounter then you lose.

Good answer: Remove or neuter the problem mechanic. (Shorten the duration to 2 seconds if it is to be kept. Give spikes a hp of 200. Add a cooldown of 30 seconds. etc.)
    <!--quoteo(post=1949227:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:29 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 5 2012, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First, that's wasting a lot of resources.

Second, they take only a split second to kill as they are newly placed trying to rebuild.

It's not difficult to stop the infestation from respreading if you are in an area.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You clearly haven't played NS2 in the last 10 builds.
  • bilybily Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151064Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2012
    In my opinion, spikes need to be removed. With such a game breaking mechanic (see above) and so close to launch, there are far bigger things that need to be worked on rather than trying to balance a mechanic which a pure rts, sc2, still has issues with. All that trying to shoe-horn such a game changing mechanic in at the last minute will do is hurt (and it really really pains me to say this) an already diminishing final product, gameplaywise. Spikes are a hard counter to any marine aggression over infestation. And, with infestation being everywhere and cyst spam so abundant, spikes end up being a hard counter to anything marines try to accomplish outside, and often times even inside, their own base.

Slightly off-topic: To me, the answer to spikes and most jetpack related issues is where the fu is web? I know its a polarizing ability, but I feel it would slow the onslaught of jetpackers and make fast rushes more manageable, which is presumably what spikes hope to accomplish.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949243:date=Jul 5 2012, 12:23 PM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jul 5 2012, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- It's not fun to be toyed around by an invisible, omniscient commander, instead of fighting players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    By that logic, you should remove nano shield and med packs.
    The commander is directly altering the tactical outcome of the battle in a profound way.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- It's redundant with the clogs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Clogs are easy to destroy and can't be used even remotely similar to the ways a spike can. To think they can means you probably haven't tried using them creatively as an alien comm yet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1949267:date=Jul 5 2012, 03:17 PM:name=GORGEous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GORGEous @ Jul 5 2012, 03:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You clearly haven't played NS2 in the last 10 builds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You didn't counter anything I said.

A newly placed cyst can be killed instantly, it's just a waste of resources to spam them in an area that the marines have already cleared out and are currently occupying.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949307:date=Jul 5 2012, 10:59 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 5 2012, 10:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By that logic, you should remove nano shield and med packs.
    The commander is directly altering the tactical outcome of the battle in a profound way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a huge difference between your opponent getting a bonus and you being disabled somehow. You're trying to equate a medic to a unit that snares or stops you from moving. Skill can overcome the other guy getting health, but in most FPS, if you can't move, you can't win.
  • internetexplorerinternetexplorer Join Date: 2011-10-13 Member: 127255Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1949256:date=Jul 5 2012, 05:25 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Jul 5 2012, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about traps? the commander lays a trap, akin to a mine that is visible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about a design philosophy where the commander is uninvolved in combat (compared to the role of the marine commander), and the players do the fighting?

Or are we just going to keep injecting thousands of awful dream mechanics into the game until it bursts like a horrible cancerous pinata?
  • {GGs} Chicken{GGs} Chicken Join Date: 2011-11-22 Member: 134663Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited July 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1949309:date=Jul 5 2012, 09:01 PM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 5 2012, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You didn't counter anything I said.

A newly placed cyst can be killed instantly, it's just a waste of resources to spam them in an area that the marines have already cleared out and are currently occupying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He did, and it stands for this too.
  • bilybily Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151064Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Rise, nothing the marine commander can do actively removes the other team from the fight. Even with nano and med spam, as a skulk you're still fighting, or parasiting, or running away, most of all you're actually doing something which effects how the battle you're in plays out. Whereas infestation spikes prevent marines from doing anything to effect a battle directly in front of them, where they were planning on going. Worst of all they can be prevented from ever affecting said battle with the current implementation's spamability. Even if the ability to spam spikes is reduced, spikes slowing marine progress by providing a physical barrier is still a similar role of what the clog was meant to do. (Presumably, but who really knows what the clog was meant to do)
    <!--quoteo(post=1949309:date=Jul 6 2012, 12:01 AM:name=Rise)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rise @ Jul 6 2012, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1949309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You didn't counter anything I said.

A newly placed cyst can be killed instantly, it's just a waste of resources to spam them in an area that the marines have already cleared out and are currently occupying.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have you seen cyst spam in the last 10 builds? I don't have to counter factually wrong statements. Cysts are undeniable in mid to late game. All that time you spend "instantly killing cysts" is time spent dying to the alien players.

If I say 2+2=5, do you have to prove me wrong or do you just quote me and say "Do you know how to math?"