Infestation spikes OP

1235»

Comments

• RyneRyne Join Date: 2012-02-25 Member: 147408Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1950856:date=Jul 11 2012, 08:28 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jul 11 2012, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, now that 213/214 has come out, there have been some changes to Infestation Spikes which I think makes them now pretty useless.

- You can't "place" them (ie., turn them out of their default vertical orientation) to block a marine unless a player is seeing them - presumably this is to take away the exploit of detecting non-moving marines.
    - Their alive time is very quick - hardly useful for blocking.
    - Still don't block arc trains.
    - Still can place "on" a marine and get cooldown penalized without actually spending res or seeing the spikes.

Let me place them like a phase gate, let me place just one at a time and give it HP instead of a time limit... I think this would actually make it useful, intuitive for both sides, and fun to use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Id much rather have a point and drag method of placing the spikes. Click and hold where you want the center of the spikes to be, drag the mouse in a line which is the orientation the spikes will be in, and release. Real quick and easy
  • JuCCiJuCCi Join Date: 2011-08-08 Member: 114961Members, NS2 Map Tester
    <!--quoteo(post=1950862:date=Jul 12 2012, 12:47 AM:name=Ryne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryne @ Jul 12 2012, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Id much rather have a point and drag method of placing the spikes. Click and hold where you want the center of the spikes to be, drag the mouse in a line which is the orientation the spikes will be in, and release. Real quick and easy<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Id rather see them gone. :)
  • MisterNubsMisterNubs Join Date: 2012-03-01 Member: 147912Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1950856:date=Jul 11 2012, 11:28 PM:name=Cee Colon Slash)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cee Colon Slash @ Jul 11 2012, 11:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1950856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stuff<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They're bad. It's possible to polish a turd, but in the end it's still a turd.

Instead of trying to fix something that is awful, remove it and fix the problems that it was "trying" to alleviate.

I.e.: Slow ass onos. Crappy alien defensive structures. The non-existent "superior" alien movement.
  • Egad!Egad! Join Date: 2011-10-19 Member: 128250Members
    Spikes are an interesting idea, but one that should be left for post-release. For the foreseeable future, it should be removed.
  • VexillVexill Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183083Members
    Hold on so infestation spikes are like the bone walls in the game?
  • AngeluszAngelusz Harmonic entropist Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18072Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Yes they are. This is an old topic, which does not need to be resurrected.
  • OhnojojoOhnojojo Join Date: 2011-08-01 Member: 113400Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    QUOTE ([AwE]Sentinel @ Jul 4 2012, 12:22 PM) »
    The first time i heared about it I thought it would be like small traps that the comm can build cloaked and when a rine steps on it small spikes come out of the ground and slow down the rine + dealing a small amount of dmg (rly small). I would like a solution like that, cause it is not op and it can still help a bit.

And I don't like it if you are loosing and you command a last rush for a hive "to save the honor" and all get blocked by 1 mere spike and sniped down by aliens. It is horrible to know as player that you can't even overcome sth like that with skill or pure luck.
    I completely agree, i too figured from the documents that it would be akin to a mine - counter-able in some sense.

If it was counte-rable, i.e., you could see a small patch of differentiating goo or something.. then it might be interesting and fun, like a meta game to set it off or avoid it completely. (throwing your pistol onto it?)

Into the distant future of 2015, NS2 will have tons of mods, made by some cool people.
    Maybe infestation spikes will be changed though throughout that time.
    I mean NS1 changed a lot since 1.0

I was thinking, what if infestation spikes cost more T-Res and had a much longer cool down?
    And they were considered permanent structures, like in the Forsaken Mod.
    Would make for some interesting base building for aliens, they could really change the scenery of the map.
    Especially if UWE made variations on the Infestation Spike Models, like maybe 3 different models that are generated randomly.
    I'm thinking like one set of thicker spikes with a bulge of infestation and like cyst-like bulbs.
    And another just normal sized infestation spikes (the size they are now) but with the spikes facing a different direction or rearranged in pattern.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    As long as theyre not invincible I think its no an issue.