Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• CarNagE1CarNagE1 Poland Join Date: 2003-05-14 Member: 16298Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Playtester
    Server is Up. Great work McGlaspie

91.121.64.194:27020 HoloPad MvsM MOD - naturalselection2.PL
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @CarNagE1‌ Awesome and thank you! Forewarning, expect a lot of junk (script errors) in the server logs right now. Especially if Tram is in your map rotation. I've fixed the important ones I know about, but I'm not convinced I've gotten them all.

Hotfixes / Update is well underway. Most of the nasty bugs have been squashed. Expect an update in 12 hours or so.
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I suggest that you revert the map starting out dark. It doesn't really add much to the game, and fighting in the dark against other Marines feels more terrible than anything. Marines vs Aliens can do something with it, but no Aliens exist.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited April 2014
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    @DarkflameQ‌ Check out the change log, all of those things you mentioned are either intentional or a known bug :)
    Power Nodes are neutral, so in affect anyone can damage them. Until a much more robust system is in place, this placeholder mechanic will stay. Along these lines, this is why I changed grenades so they cannot detonate on impact to power nodes. The reason Commanders cannot see them is they must be scouted (visually see by friendly unit or scan) before they show up on the minimap and visible to Comms. This is to eliminate commanders from being able to tell where the enemy team is expanding. And, like Power Node neutrality, a place holder mechanic until something more robust can be implemented.

Ah ok, my only concern with the power nodes is troll players destroying their own (will be rare but i see it happening).

Been running a server for half a day now without any significant problems, well done :)

I'm surprised there are only 2 servers!

There is some feedback from the players to provide though:

1) grenades are too weak against enemy structures but i'm guessing that's intentional?
    2) people think the med packs are bugged because there's nothing in the mod to say there are med pack limitations
    3) a few people spawn as static models that hover around instead of walking

My complaint is that Grenade Launchers are still too cheap (yes not as cheap as UWE defaults) but at 25 you still get grenade launcher spam, i would personally increase the price to 35 because i believe there should only be quarter of the team with grenade launchers and not half +.

This also increases server performance as there are less grenade physics going off.

Another small issue is when the Gold team surrenders the console reports the Alien team have surrendered (this is a Shine issue though as it hasn't been updated to detect the mvm mod) :P

I would also like to thank you for bringing the size of the mod down from 99mb to 19mb, outstanding!

Edit: Voting from the vote menu appears empty and i don't know why, the commands are set to true in the serverconfig.json (no json errors), but they are just not appearing within game.

TpwiysD.png

Also, one person has reported scripting errors that makes the mod completely unplayable but the majority don't seem to suffer from this:

jogFRPF.jpg

He swears all his mods are disabled / deleted.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2014
    @DarkflameQ‌ - This bug has already been reported and fixed. Scatter reported this a page ago. The issue is caused by the player trying to use minimal hud. If they use full HUD, there will be no issues.
    edited April 2014
    Soul_Rider wrote: »
    @DarkflameQ‌ - This bug has already been reported and fixed. Scatter reported this a page ago. The issue is caused by the player trying to use minimal hud. If they use full HUD, there will be no issues.

I passed this information to the player, cheers!

• JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Team is griefing all the time, some ass.... are destroying their own powernodes,
    and there no votekick so we cant kick em.
    edited April 2014
    lmao, just had a game where's a few rookies were attacking their own power node, some people were getting pissed and rage quitting.

If it is too difficult to stop players from their own team attacking their own power nodes, you should script it so the mod gives players warnings and an auto kick after a said number of warnings, 5 warnings should do the trick.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    @JimWest‌ - Is it deliberate greifing, or is the player unaware it is their powernode? Two different reasons for the same outcome..
  • JimWestJimWest Join Date: 2010-01-03 Member: 69865Members, Reinforced - Silver
    They know exactly what theyre doing, they also are waiting until its rebuilded to destroy it again.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about making the power node invulnerable when it is powering at least one structure of your team, and none of the enemy team? That should take care of the griefing, but leave all other options open.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    How are medpacks supposed to work at the moment? Apparently, each marine can only pick up one or two medpacks per life, but there's nothing about this in the changelog.

If this is intentional, then I think this is quite unintuitive... if there's a need to prevent medpack spam, why not just increase the (standard NS2) pickup delay per marine? Even making this very long (several seconds) would be better than the current hard limit.

Oh, and a few times, medpacks dropped a into the ground, so the medpack itself was buried, but the floating icon was still visible. I'm not sure if this affected whether they could be picked up, because I had reached my (supposed) per-life limit.
    MrFangs wrote: »
    How are medpacks supposed to work at the moment? Apparently, each marine can only pick up one or two medpacks per life, but there's nothing about this in the changelog.

If this is intentional, then I think this is quite unintuitive... if there's a need to prevent medpack spam, why not just increase the (standard NS2) pickup delay per marine? Even making this very long (several seconds) would be better than the current hard limit.

Totally agree, the current medpack anti spam method is confusing for many and they mistake it to be a bug, maybe it is a bug?

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

Totally agree, the current medpack anti spam method is confusing for many and they mistake it to be a bug, maybe it is a bug?
    It's a bug, not intended and should be fixed in the next update

edited April 2014
    McGlaspie wrote: »
    It's a bug, not intended and should be fixed in the next update
    Much appreciated!.

Here's a few script errors i receive after a team concede.

PDIVzz4.jpg

@DarkflameQ‌ I saw that bug as well, and I've already got it fixed for the next update.

Just trying to determine why the Voting menu isn't working right now. By two different programmer's eyes so far...it "should" work. So, I'm concerned it's something with the modframework. No telling at this point. If I can't find the issue in another hour or so, I'm just going to roll out the update anyway.
    There are some players gliding around in the default Marine pose (i.e. not animated anymore). No clue what triggers it, it seems to come and go. Seen on the EU 32 slot server (Darkflame's, I suppose?)
    edited April 2014
    There are some players gliding around in the default Marine pose (i.e. not animated anymore). No clue what triggers it, it seems to come and go. Seen on the EU 32 slot server (Darkflame's, I suppose?)
    Yes, i mentioned it in my post earlier:
    3) a few people spawn as static models that hover around instead of walking

yes it is my server.

The mods that are running are:

Shine
    NS2 Stats
    Shine Extra
    Marine vs Marine (obviously)

Another thing i think needs to be made more clear is which team is currently beaconing, if you happen to be in a area away from your team mates and you hear the beacon sound, you basically have no idea which team is beaconing.

Some form of indication displayed on screen making you aware that is it is your team being beaconed would be nice.
    edited April 2014
    Thanks for the great work McGlaspie!

Thankfully my server finally died and i was able to confirm it is the MvM mod that is breaking the voting menu (voting menu loads fine without MvM loaded).

Additionally with the new update, it somehow also breaks the user file for Shine.

Don't ask me how, but with MvM enabled, none of my admin accounts count as admin anymore (not a json error, i've triple checked).

When MvM is not loaded, everything works fine / as expected.
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    First, I had this shitty bug where I couldnt join, but the problem was that my hud was set on minimal. It was dreaful.

Anyhow, I so happened to have some space to host another ns server, so here it is.

The Ticks battleground #2 MvM 32 player public EU server.

Thanks for the good work, I really liked the gameplay, a real breath of fresh air there. :)
    edited April 2014
    Tick, if you're running Shine admin on your MvM server, can you check to see if your admin works (within game) with the two mods running together?
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I played a long round yesterday with 24+ players. We fought 17mins with lvl1 upgrades against lvl3 and exos later on and we had like 20mins no phasegates, but it was still a lot of fun and we even kinda hold the line until some missed beacons killed us. Thanks for the work, I am glad we can enjoy MvM again :D

The performance was good all the way into late game and I didn't mind fighting in the dark. It was something new/fresh, but it works surprisingly well with the team color-ligt armor. There was only one time when someone got glitched on an IP. Recycling fixed that, but that happens in vanilla as well ;) What I personally noticed a lot was that you run out of ammo fast, because you have to use the lmg against buildings. The axe did almost no damage to structures. But you might fixed that with the recent upgrade.

Oh, before I forget it. Mines are hard to spot in unpowered rooms. I can adjust to it, but mines with a laser trigger a la Duke Nukem or Half-Life could be cool. Just an idea.

Again: Good work and thanks! :)
    edited April 2014
    Axes do an okay amount of damage i would say, hitting metal shouldn't be as damaging as organic matter :P

That being said, i had no problems axing down extractors in yesterdays games.
    @DarkflameQ Welp. That doesn't make any sense. I haven't gone anywhere near the admin stuff. Do you have any server logs? If not, I'd need some kind of reproduction steps to narrow it down. Otherwise, trying to fix "it broke it" is, well...fruitless.
    edited April 2014
    Unfortunately my log is too big to open at the moment (1gb), (good old script errors) and i cannot delete it without closing the server, i will try to open the log when the server dies.
    edited April 2014
    One thing i do find funny (something i did not expect with Marine vs Marine) is that the majority of rookies still flock to the blue team (just like they do with stock gameplay).

My only guess on explaining this behavior is that people like the colour blue more? (Googling it reveals it is the most favoured colour of the world) :P

I always assumed it was because rookies were scared of playing as an alien and were more comfortable with being a marine, seems like this myth has been busted thanks to MvM, lol
  • the_tickthe_tick Netherlands Join Date: 2014-01-20 Member: 193352Members
    Tick, if you're running Shine admin on your MvM server, can you check to see if your admin works (within game) with the two mods running together?

Shine is working like a charm, RCON I got currently disabled because it messes up my shiny new badge :)
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Just configured and started [SWE] The Thirsty Onos # Marine vs. Marine. It's a 24-player server located in Stockholm, Sweden.
    Mods: MvM, Shine admin, Shine NS2Stats, Jambi and Kodiak.

Will try to fill it later tonight. By the way, how does NS2Stats work with mods? Since maps probably play a bit differently with this mod it might give map makers wrong data.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

I run Shine admin and my admin rights work in-game.