Marine vs Marine [Beta]

Comments

• ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    I like more colors
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    keep the good work, realy want to play this mod again
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    You are awesome and generous! :D I pray to the lua gods that UWE won't change more "basic" stuff. It is time that it will get easier for modders and mappers after all these builds...
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited September 2013
    40MB, awesome.

Why not just have different coloured names above players heads?

Red vs Blue etc

That coupled with red attack when an aim is on the enemy should be enough to stop confusion.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to playing this again :)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Just a thought coming into my mind, couldn't mvm just use the same colour method as xenoswarm?
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Just throwing the idea out there.
    What if you changed the colour of the tracer bullets for the 2 different teams.
  • SunTzuSunTzu Join Date: 2013-09-09 Member: 188036Members
    edited September 2013
    Why don't they make this game mode to be a official part of NS? I've always wanted to play this type of game mode during the original NS.

The mechanic of having a Commander organize and command in traditional RTS with FPS soldiers is a great enough mechanic in it's own right. By offering this as another game mode would only make NS more popular.

Sure, it's great as a mod. But if NS promoted this game mode, it would attract more people to try this mod out.
    edited September 2013
    I defo think this mod can and will bring NS2 to new levels of popularity.

Aliens are cool and all that but most their units are annoying, the onus is over powered now and aliens in general are an FPS drain.

Rookies take ages to learn and enjoy playing as aliens as well.

I just hope the mod isn't broken again when the next patch comes out in 6 months time.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited September 2013
    Nice work, glad to see this is being worked on again after all this time!
  • iamsoulrideriamsoulrider Join Date: 2013-09-13 Member: 188196Members
    Hey McGlaspie,

Great to see you working on this again!! I am starting work on Proving Grounds again, and I really want your skinning system!! The big problem for me has been creating the two unique teams, and while I have been able to change explosions to match team colors (in the old version anyway), I had never been able to change the marine teams colors. This would be amazing when completed to add to Proving Grounds :D

Keep up the good work and I'll see you on the battlefield soon.

Soul_Rider
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @iamsoulrider Hey Man, good to hear you're working on it again. I was wondering about what happen to your mod. You're certainly free to use the skinning system, and so is everyone else. That's one of the main motivations behind it. It won't be limited to the Marines, it could work for aliens too. Or any world (no team, technically ReadyRoomTeam) entities for that matter. I've got the main Marine shader work done. I'm now working with the other commonly used shaders to support the new system. As I said before, I will release it as a stand-along mod and write up a "How-To" type Steam Workshop guide and forum post once it's all ready to go. Please be patient though, it is going to take me a bit more time.

• iamsoulrideriamsoulrider Join Date: 2013-09-13 Member: 188196Members
    Take your time, it's going to be a while before I use it. I am writing the mod from scratch, but also have come up with ideas to further reduce the amount of code and files used, so I am going to have to experiment a lot, but when I am ready for skins, I am sure this will have been available for some time :D
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    This is genious and looks awesome! Could that toggle entity be modified to simulate switches/buttons that change the color once activated, like in Dark Forces times?

With the last uwe news in mind, I believe that the dawn of the ns2 mods is almost here ;)
    Win, can't wait to play this again, is the mod officially support yet?
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    This is genious and looks awesome! Could that toggle entity be modified to simulate switches/buttons that change the color once activated, like in Dark Forces times?
    You can switch it based on any game logic or parameters in the material that you wish. Here are some examples:

Skulk Xenocide causes their veins to pulsate and glow.
    Fade's Vortex/Teleport causes them to get darker as they vanish
    Change emissive(glow) per powered state (in MvM)

The system is not perfect, and does have some draw back; however, it is a massive improvement over the old way models were colorized in previous versions of MvM. I'll be writing up a detailed guide on how it can be used at a later time.
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    Win, can't wait to play this again, is the mod officially support yet?
    No it isn't, and it never will be. Well, actually that depends on how you define "supported". If by supported you mean they've released tools and source code. Then, yes. If you mean they merge it into NS2, then no and almost certainly never will be. They're most recent new post is proof it will never be "official". They need to focus on their next game, and I wish them the absolute best of luck!

edited October 2013
    My definition of supported is that they stop breaking your mod with every big feature patch (combat mod seems to survive relatively unscathed, i just assumed it was because it was officially supports and thus worked around).

But hey ho, odds are reinforcement will be the last major feature update to ns2 as it doesn't look like they are getting the half a million they wanted anyway.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Can't wait for this to be done.

I've only every played a few rounds, but MvM was some really good times :)
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    Chiming in to say that I'm really looking forward to this. I followed the mod in it's early days, but never actually played it and man, am I ever regretting it.
    Granted it was a relatively small update, MvM managed to make it through B258 without a hitch. Not even a hiccup.

Progress is continuing, I've got the game essentially finished but there are still some bugs and tweaks to be done. @Ulmont is making some progress on creating new skins via the new system. I'm not willing to give an ETA yet, but it will be sooner rather than later.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited October 2013
    Great work @McGlaspie. As soon as PG is running, i'll be adding this to the mod, along with the extraentities mod by @JimWest. I previously had @sint's cout mod incorporated and running in the old version for the Kill Streaks, I hope to get that and an in-game version of @huze's badge mod, for those old quake style streak awards and stuff. I have so much to do...

Looking forward to seeing the new skins in MvM. Hit me up later if you're having a game!
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Any updates?

I thought this was going to be out by now, it's nearly December...
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Any updates?

I thought this was going to be out by now, it's nearly December...

This is quiet a big mod and more a rewrite of the old one than just a update. You can follow progress here:

http://www.team156.com/mcglaspie/mvm/index.php

It will take some more time to finish but as you see McGlaspie is getting closer to release every week. So be patient ;)
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Absolutely enjoyed playing MvM in the past and I'm really looking forward to playing it again :). Hope you're not too far off anymore!
    So i guess there's no point expecting this to be finished?

To be frank even if the creator does get around to finishing it (poor show making us wait so long...) i doubt it will get played much judging by other mods, look at how much work went into factions, a good idea with new game play and no one bothers to play, i don't know whether to blame uwe or the community at this point, lack of players or poor mod support, what ever the cause it looks like there's no point bothering with ns2 any more, you had a year to get this out and could never manage it. :/
    edited January 2014
    Off you go again Electr0, you do know you're not the only person waiting for this mod right?

Me and my clan have been waiting since it broke in March and you don't see us moaning.

Factions wasn't much fun in my opinion, lots of work went into it but me and my clan didn't enjoy it when we tried it.

MvM was awesome from the few games i got to play back in Feb 2012, i hope when the next version is finished, it will be just as awesome, if not more, i'll definitely be running a server myself and there are lots of players around since NS2 went Humble.