Skyrim!

Comments

• Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    So, made it to level 50, completed the main quest, won the war, and finally retired the character by getting married and moved in together with my spouse.

What happens? As I go to sleep with her 'on the honeymoon', I wake up in a shed with the Dark Brotherhood. So.. dealt with them. Exit the shed - then a bloody dragon turns up...

Can't a man catch a break D:?

Anyway, I've started a new character just now. Going to be an Argonian wizard/thief. Going to focus on Conjuration and Illusion (and try to get them fairly high up, to get the uber spells there). For weapons I'll use Onehanded and bows. Will naturally also get thief skills, and will also throw in some smithing and alchemy.
    ... As an added bonus, I've decided to play the game in this way: I'll only reload if I die (or the game totally bugs up, and I mean totally). Other than that, I'll take any consequences for my stupid actions - as this really seems to be the way you should play a thief.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    Wait, dragon armour has less armour rating than daedric? Then what's the point! Weight is unimportant anyway, since I have a perk that makes my armour weightless while I wear it.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    I'm level 17 and getting kinda bored. Am I missing something? Game runs likes pants as well ;(
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886417:date=Nov 23 2011, 08:34 PM:name=dux)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dux @ Nov 23 2011, 08:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm level 17 and getting kinda bored. Am I missing something? Game runs likes pants as well ;(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You forgot your sense of fun. You'll have to go back and get it before you can continue.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Illusion is a lot of fun DHP :D

I'm playing a heavy stealth/illusion mix at the moment with conjured weapons for cool points and I feel hilariously overpowered. If there's a crowd of enemies I get them to kill each other via fury spells. If there's a single enemy (or only one left after they've killed each other) then I'll backstab them. If they notice me or don't die on the initial backstab I cast calm to make them my friend... and when they turn around I backstab them again anyway. Repeat until victory! :p

The only things I don't illusion are those I can't (yet) such as undead and co. Oh and I don't illusion dragons, mostly because I'm worried they'd fly away if I calmed/feared them though I've admittedly not checked to see if that's the case. I just march up to their face behind my ward, breath bouncing off it harmlessly, mark for them death and then saw their face off with my conjured swords :3

If it wasn't for my steadfast refusal on this char to only use conjuration for summoning weapons, I'd probably have a lot of fun tossing flaming familiars around. I threw one or two down for a giggle early on in my character's career and they were surprisingly effective (if a little dangerous) against a magic user that was otherwise giving me trouble at the time. Even if they didn't get close enough to explode and damage them, they were a great distraction for me to close the distance or line up my magic :3
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I can handle most creatures and men with my lvl 38 2handed orc but I keep finding myself getting exaggeratedly spanked by...FORSLANS (forslons? cant remember). They all have the ######tiest equipment I've seen in the game, maybe even worse than hide but they off me in one or two hits, EVEN ARROWS. Not to even talk about their mages nuking the area unless you sneak bow them 10 times first. It feels even ######tier than when you met glass and deadric armored bandits in Oblivion, because these guys LOOK weak in the puny armor and shambled weapons.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    the forswon briarbears or whateever? the dudes who rock the deer masks things?
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1886434:date=Nov 24 2011, 04:38 AM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Nov 24 2011, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886434"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the forswon briarbears or whateever? the dudes who rock the deer masks things?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea, those ragtag wildmen.
  • NixxenNixxen Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886436:date=Nov 24 2011, 04:46 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Nov 24 2011, 04:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yea, those ragtag wildmen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you've looked closely at them you'll see they have no heart, and a huge cavity in their chest covered with something that looks like tape.
    They're badasses. Possibly possessed badasses.

I read in a book somewhere the story of when they supposedly agreed to let the hagravens join them and in return they had to give up their soul, heart and some other shenanigans.

Once you get some magic resist and more health you'll be able to take them on without much trouble. They won't be easy, but won't oneshot you anymore.

Currently level 53. Have been randomly traveling the world, seeing the sights and heap loads of various random encounters, both standard hit and runs and strange "wolf attacks me, sabre cat attacks wolf, dragon attacks sabre cat" scenarios. Done plenty of missions that sounded interesting. Bought some houses. Sadly I figured out that you can't rent out the ones you don't use :/

I still haven't touched most of the major cities apart from Whiterun, only briefly stopping by Dawnstar and Markath for the sights and some innocent drinking. Hoping there is just as much content in the other capitals as there were in Whiterun to be honest.

Just found the possible location of the Thieves Guild and after some more wandering I will be heading down there to see if I can restore some of their lost fame.

And all this is before we've been given the mod tools. Imagine the endless possibilities once we get some proper mods running *salivate*
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1886291:date=Nov 23 2011, 02:55 PM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Nov 23 2011, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Protip: You can kill (get) the ore from oreveins by literally smacking it with your pickaxe instead of pressing use. This method is much faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1886338:date=Nov 23 2011, 07:06 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 23 2011, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886338"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That rumbling you heard in the distance was the sound of my mind blowing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyIa27I_d6Y"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cyIa27I_d6Y" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • Dirty_Harry_PotterDirty_Harry_Potter Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9500Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886412:date=Nov 24 2011, 01:54 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886412"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, dragon armour has less armour rating than daedric? Then what's the point! Weight is unimportant anyway, since I have a perk that makes my armour weightless while I wear it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Well... you're literally swimming in dragon scales/bones, while the stuff you need to craft daedric armour is somewhat more rare I think.

Of course, it's still odd that the Dragon Perk takes 100 skill, while Daedric only takes 90.

Gem, sounds good. I chose Illusion and Conjuration partly because I barely used them on my previous character, and partly because of my style of play with no loading if I screw up. I want to be prepared if I want to escape jail XD - and magic lets me be less dependent on equipment.
    For escaping from jail, "conjure bound lockpick" would be great.

I really don't like the lockpicking in this game, it was far better in Oblivion. In Oblivion you could play it safe and slowly, patiently pick the lock. Here, there's always a chance that your lockpick will snap the very instant it encounters any obstruction, and since there's absolutely no way to know where that'll be, it basically comes down to luck in the end.
    I'm fairly certain each lockpick has a set amount of pressure it can take before breaking, and that this is 'remembered' from the last lock you picked.

Other than that, it only depends somewhat on your skill, and highly on the quality of lock you are picking, better locks break your lockpick way faster.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886481:date=Nov 24 2011, 02:11 PM:name=Dirty_Harry_Potter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirty_Harry_Potter @ Nov 24 2011, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm fairly certain each lockpick has a set amount of pressure it can take before breaking, and that this is 'remembered' from the last lock you picked.

Other than that, it only depends somewhat on your skill, and highly on the quality of lock you are picking, better locks break your lockpick way faster.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only problem I have with lockpick is what lolf said, breaking from jail but that's because you only get one. In all other cases when I got a stack of 30-40 picks (just a few hours in) I could open all locks without any perks at all, I still haven't spent a single perk on it and it just gets easier the more you do it. Never left a master chest unopened but I have to admit I used reloading a few times, it's not like I'll remember the damn thing when I get more picks half an hour later or whatever.
    DHP is also right, the last pick used has a certain durability which is remembered between the locks.

@ Align, I tried doing that, it didnt work for me :( do you need a perk to dual wield 1hand weapons? I need to try it with the fully upgraded increase melee speed shout!

"If you've looked closely at them you'll see they have no heart, and a huge cavity in their chest covered with something that looks like tape.
    They're badasses. Possibly possessed badasses."

That explains the ritual I saw when 2 hagravens "revived" a dude on a sacrificial slab. That was a tough fight.
    Hagravens are really easy to deal with if you just close the distance quickly, because they don't use spells at close range nor do they do much damage in melee.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886518:date=Nov 24 2011, 03:13 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hagravens are really easy to deal with if you just close the distance quickly, because they don't use spells at close range nor do they do much damage in melee.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Until you hit your companion by accident and she is like "Nope, I wont take this any longer" *Companion has left you* and the other hagraven who backed off some distance starts throwing grenadeballfire, all while the forsworn dude is chopping at my backside organs.

Stupid Mjoll and her bad commentaries.
    Am I seriously the ONLY person who doesn't use followers?
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay so I picked this up.

First of all, how could you not use followers, aka packmules?

Secondly, found a <a href="http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193" target="_blank">mod </a>that makes ore veins glow so they're actually possible to spot, made smithing much more feasible without huge sums of money

Thirdly, I like the idea of the war going on, but I've yet to see any actual battles. Awesome idea, but seems like it hasn't been followed through with.

Forthly, do higher level spells level up stuff faster than lower level spells? because I use flames a ton but it seems like destruction just can't keep up with all my other skills.
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886584:date=Nov 24 2011, 05:32 PM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Nov 24 2011, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay so I picked this up.

First of all, how could you not use followers, aka packmules?

Secondly, found a <a href="http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=193" target="_blank">mod </a>that makes ore veins glow so they're actually possible to spot, made smithing much more feasible without huge sums of money

Thirdly, I like the idea of the war going on, but I've yet to see any actual battles. Awesome idea, but seems like it hasn't been followed through with.

Forthly, do higher level spells level up stuff faster than lower level spells? because I use flames a ton but it seems like destruction just can't keep up with all my other skills.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Indeed but I've started to reconsider since I found the stallion sign, gives me +100 weight to carry and no slowdown from armor. They are also life saviors when ###### hits the fan and you need someone to take the aggro, they are only usable as damage soakers rather than damage dealers.

2. I use that, quite nifty.

3. I've heard you get to decide somewhat what the stormcloaks or imperials should do in the MQ, depending on who you join ofc.

4. Yes, I believe so. They use up more mana and does greater effect so it should level you up faster. I think it's just a matter of mana use and damage dealt.

List of mods I use, underlined are heartily recommended:

<a href="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98384/skyrim_mods.png" target="_blank">http://dl.dropbox.com/u/98384/skyrim_mods.png</a>

Just search the name on <a href="http://www.skyrimnexus.com/" target="_blank">http://www.skyrimnexus.com/</a> and it should pop up.

I consider this one ESSENTIAL:
    FXAA Post Process Injector
    <a href="http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131" target="_blank">http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=131</a>
    Look at those comparison shots!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1886545:date=Nov 24 2011, 02:52 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I seriously the ONLY person who doesn't use followers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I use them for carrying stuff now and then but otherwise no.
    <!--quoteo(post=1886545:date=Nov 24 2011, 03:52 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I seriously the ONLY person who doesn't use followers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never used followers, not even for packmules. THIS DRAGONBORN RIDES ALONE.

but yeah, seriously.. I don't really see the need for a packmule. With a few stamina upgrades you get some more carry weight, and it's not like you can't easily clear a dungeon with your surplus carry capacity, then head into a town to either store it in your house, or sell it to merchants. Then instant travel back to where you came, or where you need to go next...

Of course I used light armour, which might be the reason why its feasible in the beginning of the game.
    Given that at this point in the game I have need for neither a pack mule nor a damage sponge, I feel that my decision to forgo followers is vindicated.
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsqiSknjHK8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lsqiSknjHK8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886545:date=Nov 24 2011, 03:52 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Am I seriously the ONLY person who doesn't use followers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here. I put Lydia where she belongs ;)

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1quvEKhpHc"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K1quvEKhpHc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

Skyrim is epic. No more is needed to say about it from my end. Interface sux, but not enough to make me stop playing 10 hours straight every session.

*Edit.

Damn that is one ugly mod (FXAA wtf)..looks like WoW.
    Yeah. I may moan and complain about every little thing that annoys me in the game (stupid lockpicking!) but that doesn't mean I don't love the game.

Steam says I have played it for 112 hours. That's an average of eight and a half hours every day. >_<
    edited November 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1886708:date=Nov 24 2011, 11:39 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 24 2011, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1886708"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah. I may moan and complain about every little thing that annoys me in the game (stupid lockpicking!) but that doesn't mean I don't love the game.

Steam says I have played it for 112 hours. That's an average of eight and a half hours every day. >_<<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you look up north (awfully specific ain't I?), there is a sign that allows you to automatically unlock all chests up to (or below...I can't recall correctly) expert. Then there are mod solutions that basically cheat it for you but that's LAME.

On another note: Remember The Witcher 2 thread we had? Remember how the elves were backstabbing treehumpers? Yea, they're at it again, especially those Dominion earschlongs*. It seems there cannot exist a fantasy world where elves aren't total firehoses* in general. I guess they'd be too much of Mary Sues' if they had everything they currently have and then not being rumphats* (looks, fighting skill, history etc).

*Swearfilter tactfully avoided.
    Eh. Up until Skyrim the elves weren't evilmeannasty, nor were they mary sues. The altmer tend to be somewhat aloof and arrogant, the dunmer tend to be somewhat xenophobic, and the bosmer tend to be untrustworthy and/or annoying and high-strung, but all in all they were in line with the other races - neither particularly better or wose than anyone else.

The Aldmeri Dominion is largely a result of a lot of patient political maneuvering by the Thalmor, a group of elven supremacists that seized power. Likely as not, most elves are no more assholish now than before, and I'm sure there's a resistance going in both Summerset Isle and Valenwood, but it's not as though the Thalmor would trumpet news of them to the world.

And trying to make the empire fracture by outlawing Talos worship as a condition for peace is exactly the kind of long-view strategy you'd expect from a race that has no problem waiting around a few decades for a plan to come to fruition.
    edited November 2011
    I should read more books in Skyrim apparently, even though I recognize those events you mentioned and I can't really argue about the elves. I was just rolling my eyes at this one quest where an elf just had to be stereotypical.

I wish Bethesda could do something related to this video, I'd certainly enjoy shouting in my room from time to time to flip NPCs off cliffs when my frustration peaks.

<a href="http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/27849" target="_blank">http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/27849</a>

Not an elf but I'm still going to murder him in his sleep, paralyzing him for 15 seconds before I beat him to death with my gauntlet clad fists and menacing shouts.
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Im8lQFEwShg"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Im8lQFEwShg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

"I gave him a one way ticket to the Cloud District." HAH !
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Add me to the no-help brigade. I loathe AI companions in almost all games as the NPCs in most games are inherently stupid when they're on your team, and the skyrim lot are possibly some of the worst :p

Talking of AI, if there's one mod I'd absolutely love it'd be one to stop NPCs randomly talking to me unless it's important, especially when I'm not even looking at them. I tire quickly of 'surprise conversations' like when you're just standing there and suddenly a voice comes from behind you prattling on about something irrelevant from someone you've never even seen before. They don't even say 'hi' for hecksake XD

I don't mind the NPCs greeting me when I run right up to them and stare them in the face, that's totally fine, or special stuff like couriers giving me a letter, but NPCs really shouldn't initiate conversation with you if you just happen to be in their walking path except maybe to say "get out of the way" or something. It's especially bad when you're listening to a quest NPC or eavesdropping a flavourful NPC conversation when someone blind-sides you and begins waffling over them. This of course gets worse when a guard on patrol comes from the other side and adds his or her din to the mess.
    They're so adamant in these bizarre gouts of tourrettes that if you duck through a doorway into a building after they start their random chatter they'll actually follow you through the door to finish it, even if they normally never enter that location o.O

It's not even like they've got enough lines to make this a good idea either. I took a break to eat something in real life and left my char standing in a temple. While I was sitting nibbling away, the priestess of the fine establishment in question wandered up and said,
    "did you get that barb I asked you for yet?"
    followed almost immediately by...
    "did you get that barb I asked you for yet?".
    I was surprised she'd said the same line not only twice but so rapidly after the fi-
    A Third time, and so soon? You've got to be ki-
    AAAAUUUUUGH!!!!

In the end I had to make my char leave the temple to stop myself resorting to a drastic, lethally permanent solution to this woman's broken record syndrome.

It's things like this that make that cloud district guy even more annoying than I suspect he was intended to be :p
  • konatakonata Join Date: 2011-08-24 Member: 118296Members
    Did you get that barb I asked you for yet?