ns2_turtle - V1.0 Released

18910111214»

Comments

• Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Nice little game we had on it. To the point. From what I've seen of it played already, it's all smoothly working as intended. Just chill and enjoy yourselves :D
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    Seems like this map isn't played anymore.. Never heard of it until today. what's happened to it ?

Edit : just give it a quick look. the map is really tiny. and what appears on the minimap doesn't always reflect what the actual rooms look like. weird. But it seems cool. I wonder why people don't play on it
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Seems like this map isn't played anymore.. Never heard of it until today. what's happened to it ?

Edit : just give it a quick look. the map is really tiny. and what appears on the minimap doesn't always reflect what the actual rooms look like. weird. But it seems cool. I wonder why people don't play on it

I remember playing it a while back when it had 6 tech points... was a little bit too labyrinthine for most people to handle, that and there were some power nodes in some really bad places (ie a marine power node was way the hell out in a hallway, pretty far from the base). I know that's kind of vague, but I haven't played it in a long time... maybe it's time to give it another shot. :)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    As far as I know, this map is definitely forsaken by his creator. Hopefully, just for now, maybe someone in the future would like to be in charge of keep improving this map.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Has some nasty stigma around it now. Never been able to play the new version myself. Would like to ..

Back in beta, the original turtle was the most popular competitive map by far. I remember watching @Hugh old videos of gathers with @Grissi and others years ago.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    maybe it's time to give it another shot. :)
    We should talk about it to the SCC. Maybe they'd love the idea.
    Plus, if the only issue is a few power nodes badly located, should not be hard to put them elsewhere if the map is still any good/interesting. I'm gonna say it one more time, the map is really tiny, maybe THAT was the issue, because Aliens could go anywhere in no time

• ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, the real problem with Turtle was the size. SCC tested it a while back after @Evil_bOb1 had worked hard on an overhaul. RTs were often too easy to snipe, one positon could cover two RTs easily etc.
    That's a shame because the overall design of the map and rooms was kind of good (except indeed a few res node + power node poorly places).
    What was this overhaul all about ? resizing the map layout ? like adding longer corridors etc ?
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As I remember there was some reworking of room connections, size and alot of work on the map's aesthetics. I'm not 100% on just how much it changed as I rarely played turtle during the beta and after so many different iterations of many custom maps, memories kinda get blurred....
    So the version available on the workshop is already the reworked one ? Hmm, maybe we whould submit the idea to the SCC and what comes out of it (and the playtest if there's one some day). I like the atmosphere of the map.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    And wait for a mapper to end it up. Playtests are good, especially the ones by SCC but you also gonna need someone(s) to update the map & release it on the Workshop.

Is this still the proper overview?
    600px-Ns2_turtle.png
    edited August 2014
    No that is not the proper one. Here it is :
    FyIszjg.jpg

I'll edit my post right away, to give you my feedback on the issues mentioned earlier

EDIT : here is the tech point/RT/power node locations detail
    6594foX.jpg

The problems are, power nodes too far away from the RTs (in Hub or in Tech and even in Loading (behind a door) or Cargo), you can snipe the Gate and Bridge RTs from the same location.
    Tech tech point is no good, too close to Loading and Cargo. Plus the Tech RT location is weird as shit (far from power node also, I couldn't figure out right away which node powered that RT).

Cargo (I think it's that one) is a three storey tech point.. wtf

anyway, suggestion overview to cope with some of these problems
    xJyZfzL.jpg
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    If I remember correctly, some of the issues were that it was very hard to route block because of over-connectivity, marines in marine start could hear a hive being dropped in the center of the map, and arc ranges were a problem; it was easy to siege hives from easily defended positions.

EDIT: Also, there were level-over-level issues where the commander could not drop meds and ammo.
    edited August 2014
    Too small of a map and over connectivity. Shouldn't be hard to rework that if someone wants to. I don't know anything about mapping I would love to work with whoever knows how to handle the spark editor and see what we can get off this map.
  • logan3logan3 switzerland Join Date: 2014-10-11 Member: 198931Members
    somehow ns2_turtle ended up on my favorite public server (22 slots the mapversion was the second spoilerpicture of mauvaisvitrier), i had the chance to play it 3 rounds as alien.

and yes it is labyrinthy. its kind of funny to play somhow you end up finding your way's but you know there's lots of vents you didn't touch get after 3 rounds.
    it is realy small, so arcs have less to travel so they seem to get quicker and they'r realy effectivefrom hub wich we couldn't crush a whole game.

something with the overwief is messed up
    our com keept repeating "theyr coming to cargo" meening enginering but somhow the cargo writing was in the wrong spot. we had to tell him cargo is top mid in our minimap and he had to refer to enginering as "left side of the minimap".

and its tyni litlle small^^ wich meens the distance to a natural is so close you run there quick, but the defender is there as quick as you.

the one thing i clearly didn't like is the powerpoints and according rooms issue. i'v seen a phasgete right in the middle of engine and the engine node was built.. phasegate not powered.

all in all it was kind of aconfusing but funny experiance till now.

maby our admin removed the map now. i recomand testing it once before modifing it too much since the gameplay is so exotic.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    This map hasn't been worked on in a very very long time, guys.
  • Alpha WingAlpha Wing Join Date: 2013-01-05 Member: 177673Members
    Me too, this map isn't working for my server.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    This map probably doesn't have all the correct current entities required etc. It was built for a very different version of NS2, and for a short while it was a decent map, but then as new mechanics were introduced and the general gameplay changed, it got severely broken. If I remember correctly the first versions of this map were before arcs and even powernodes were added?? It was a long time ago so I can't remember too well. It was always a difficult map as aliens, but certainly became impossible after some gameplay mechanics changed.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    the main issue with the map is the over abundance of connectivity makes it a nightmare to hold anything
  • Anti_BosonAnti_Boson Join Date: 2013-07-03 Member: 185878Members
    But looks great for combat...
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    You are probably not wrong there...
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Played this yesterday... I really have to say: The map is very small, unbalanced, buggy, ugly for most parts and not so nice for commanders. BUT the room shapes are AWESOME and I found it incredibly fun to play on this map.

It's a bit sad that nobody works on this map anymore because with a few fixes it could be made playable again for modern NS2.
    It would take much more than a few small fixes, the map would basically have to be redesigned, and then, it just wouldn't be this map anymore :D

Turtle was a great map for a short time, and despite it may be 'ugly' to you now, it was one of the best looking maps at the time, considering how early this came out.