Umbra is used rarely.

PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
<div class="IPBDescription">because I think it is hard to use.</div>In about every single game of NS2 I have played I have not seen any umbra. I think this could be because Umbra and the Fury(?) are hard to use because they aren't easily accessable in the time that you have when you are being attacked.

-I would like to see a quick bar on the right/left side of the screen that allows me to activate all of the Crags and Whips at the same time.
-Double clicking on a crag or whip will select all of the crags that are in your current screen.

Tell me what you think of my ideas and what you think of the Crag and Whip.

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Yes, currently its not really doable to use umbra. Perhaps also partially because you can have unit/building hotgroups yet, at least i wasn't able to use them.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    That would be nice because it would also work as an alert to the whole alien team that something important is getting attacked without the commander having to say so.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    The interface is a bit clunky, I agree. Perhaps changing the approach to make the Activated Abilities a bit more like "spells", as I believe Charlie called it pre-Alpha.

Picture: For each Crag you build, the Acom can "cast" umbra in an area x times/minute. Building the first Crag adds Umbra (And Heal (within range!)) to the Commanders hotbar (think WOW, etc). For each additional Crag, the cooldown gets shorter. Dunno, just brainstorming here.

Tha same could be done for Fury and Cloak or whatever.

Maybe a combination of this and the existing mode is best.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Here are my suggestions
    1. Allow assigning structures/groups of structures to 1-9 hotkeys
    2. Make double-clicking on one structure cause you to select all structures of the same type in your view
    3. Standardize all structure abilities so they are at the same location in the grid hotkey system
    4. Allow comm to enable auto-casting of abilities by right-clicking on the ability icon (first right click = activate, second right click = deactivate)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I agree, Umbra is hard to use, and is very rarely used in-games. I think there are 2 solutions;

1) Auto-Umbra from Crags.

2) Give umbra back to Lerks, making Crags just like the old DCs.

Either I wouldn't mind.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I would be all for a quick interface such right click on building used the special ability, or a floating icon. Would be nice if gorges could "+use" those abilities too.
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1845653:date=May 12 2011, 04:43 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 12 2011, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here are my suggestions
    1. Allow assigning structures/groups of structures to 1-9 hotkeys
    2. Make double-clicking on one structure cause you to select all structures of the same type in your view
    3. Standardize all structure abilities so they are at the same location in the grid hotkey system
    4. Allow comm to enable auto-casting of abilities by right-clicking on the ability icon (first right click = activate, second right click = deactivate)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^This^
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    I was thinking Umbra should be deployed as retaliation to attack. EG if the Umbra or any surrounding structures get attacked, the Umbra would get deployed automatically. Makes no sense to just deploy Umbra for the fun of it.
  • CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why would it be hard using umbra?
    you see where a fight is, select a nearby crag, press the hotkey.
    it's not like you're doing much else as alien comm.

it's a matter of APM in an rts...(minus the controlling army units)
    if you don't got it, you have no place commanding. get it or gtfo of hive

what's next?
    double clicking an icon to drop a med next to every marine?
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845673:date=May 12 2011, 08:20 AM:name=CoolCookieCooks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CoolCookieCooks @ May 12 2011, 08:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was thinking Umbra should be deployed as retaliation to attack. EG if the Umbra or any surrounding structures get attacked, the Umbra would get deployed automatically. Makes no sense to just deploy Umbra for the fun of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

if you enable auto umbra on a crag ... auto heal should be turned off. com could always manually select the crag & trigger the ability that is not in auto mode.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I use umbra all the time....i think some people just arent aware of it or forget
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845646:date=May 12 2011, 05:16 PM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ May 12 2011, 05:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The interface is a bit clunky, I agree. Perhaps changing the approach to make the Activated Abilities a bit more like "spells", as I believe Charlie called it pre-Alpha.

Picture: For each Crag you build, the Acom can "cast" umbra in an area x times/minute. Building the first Crag adds Umbra (And Heal (within range!)) to the Commanders hotbar (think WOW, etc). For each additional Crag, the cooldown gets shorter. Dunno, just brainstorming here.

Tha same could be done for Fury and Cloak or whatever.

Maybe a combination of this and the existing mode is best.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This was my first thought, but I kinda like the OP's suggestion: mass umbra.

I also really like CoolCookieCooks' suggestion: autocast. You could keep the current system, but right click the icon, and it would enter autocast mode (right click again to disable autocast). So it would cast umbra when attacked, or when a structure within its effective radius is attacked.
    I've seen autocast in games like Warcraft 3, DotA and HoN.

jbaker: Not necessary. It could just autocast both - they'd both still be on cooldown.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    TBH I never quite understood how the current system works. At one point I thought clicking umbra sets the crag to use umbra instead of heal in auto-cast fashion. Now I'm not so sure if it does 1 umbra and goes back to healing or what? Either way it isn't very clear how the system works and is definitely part of its under-use.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You click the umbra button and it shoots an umbra cloud out.

Doesn't affect healing at all as far as I know.

Honestly it seemed perfectly intuitive to me.
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845687:date=May 12 2011, 09:54 AM:name=jbaker8935)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jbaker8935 @ May 12 2011, 09:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845687"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you enable auto umbra on a crag ... auto heal should be turned off. com could always manually select the crag & trigger the ability that is not in auto mode.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is actually a cool idea because there is a trade off. If umbra autocast is disabled, it works just like it does currently and you can umbra manually as alien comm. If you enable umbra autocast, it fires umbra in reaction to fire (maybe) but disables autohealing. I'm probably not thinking it through completely but I like the concept.
    Maybe... if there's an energy bar or something, though, then having both on autocast would come with a natural trade-off. I'm not discounting the singular-autocast idea though.
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845725:date=May 12 2011, 10:43 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 12 2011, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845725"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe... if there's an energy bar or something, though, then having both on autocast would come with a natural trade-off. I'm not discounting the singular-autocast idea though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ooh...

Crag abilities
    Healing (Directed) - A bit more powerful than Auto, uses energy
    Healing (Auto) [Toggle] - As it is now, uses ½ of total energy, then plateaus
    Umbra (Directed) - As it is now, uses energy
    Umbra (Auto) [Toggle] - Uses energy, leaving Crag without healing or energy

This way you can:
    1) Leave the Crag alone and it acts as it does now.
    2) Babysit the Crag and both Heal and Umbra
    3) Leave the crag alone as an un-healing Umbra-station (Umbras when something recieves damage within radius)

This could easily be extended to Whips.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    At the moment I'd rather the lerk have the umbra ability over the considerably overpowered snipe ability it has now. I'm not sure NS2 needs a sniper rifle, organic or not!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The umbra and especially the fury radius need to be increased. I've used umbra a few times (though not even sure if it really works or not), but the use of fury is pretty limited. I mean the only time I've really used it is when a skulk/fade is fighting a marine right next to the whip. It's more of a defensive ability than offensive. But the problem is that few marines are dumb enough to fight a skulk/fade next to a whip, so it gets little use. It would be nice if the crag/whip could have a ranged umbra/fury ability too, so it would be a little more useful.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845653:date=May 12 2011, 05:43 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ May 12 2011, 05:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845653"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. Allow assigning structures/groups of structures to 1-9 hotkeys
    4. Allow comm to enable auto-casting of abilities by right-clicking on the ability icon (first right click = activate, second right click = deactivate)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1. You can already (maybe not up to 9, but at least up to 4 IIRC). The only problem is hitting the key to select these hotgroups jars the camera and moves it to some undisclosed position.
    2. Ctrl-click. Keep it consistent with RTSs.
    3. +1. Also, I imagine things will be easier once there are icons for the abilities instead of words.
    4. Doesn't this give the Alien Commander less to do? And don't Commanders already have very little to do other than shout orders and worry?

<!--quoteo(post=1845736:date=May 12 2011, 12:38 PM:name=Supernorn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Supernorn @ May 12 2011, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845736"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the moment I'd rather the lerk have the umbra ability over the considerably overpowered snipe ability it has now. I'm not sure NS2 needs a sniper rifle, organic or not!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seems like Spore would benefit the Crag more, while Umbra would benefit the Lerk more. Snipe may just need some tweaking, although it does still feel silly. Someone suggested that (a Crag's) Umbra should extinguish Flames, which got me thinking: The Lerks spore could be buffed by making it combustible!

If someone walks into a room waving a flame-sword around with abandon, shoot a Spore in his face, and the whole cloud becomes a ball of fire while the Spore would be active. Whether it kills him or not, he's still going to think twice before spamming that Flamer!

<!--quoteo(post=1845746:date=May 12 2011, 01:38 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ May 12 2011, 01:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the use of fury is pretty limited. I mean the only time I've really used it is when a skulk/fade is fighting a marine right next to the whip. It's more of a defensive ability than offensive. But the problem is that few marines are dumb enough to fight a skulk/fade next to a whip, so it gets little use. It would be nice if the crag/whip could have a ranged umbra/fury ability too, so it would be a little more useful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, the Crag and the Whip seem to have their defenses mixed up. Crags get hacked at at melee range because they're defenseless. They're almost never shot at, and yet their only defense is a cloud that stops bullets. I think Whips would benefit more from having Umbra, but maybe they did this intentionally to encourage you to pair the structures.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845751:date=May 12 2011, 07:49 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ May 12 2011, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->bladiblah..Seems like Spore would benefit the Crag more..blabla<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Imho the whip and hydras are enough when it comes to attacking units, considering marines only have the turret.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845800:date=May 12 2011, 06:33 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ May 12 2011, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845800"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imho the whip and hydras are enough when it comes to attacking units, considering marines only have the turret.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Flame turrets.
    Nothing is safe. :V

Actually to just add fire to everything and it'll be perfect.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845802:date=May 13 2011, 12:52 AM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 13 2011, 12:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Flame turrets.
    Nothing is safe. :V

Actually to just add fire to everything and it'll be perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FLAME GORGES IS OVER 9000!!1
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I wouldn't mind having umbra back for the lerk as an alt fire to spore, as for the umbra crag has, in the case of no lerk umbra, I would love an auto cast toggle really, perhaps x ammount of bullet damage within it's range over a few seconds would trigger it..

or if (and I hope this either way, be it lerk or crag using it) umbra was a flame counter too, obviously include flame damage or ignited things within range too to the auto. In the case of auto I'd say a cool down might be better than energy cost for the auto.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    edited May 2011
    The alien commander needs more things to micromanage, so I'm against autocast.

A single umbra cast is pretty useless because marines will just reload for the duration of the spell. It really only makes a difference when there are multiple casts back to back. Making the spell duration a few seconds longer would be nice.

Or they could go a different route by making the spell a ground-target cast rather than point-blank. That way, it would become more prevalent in combat, not just structure defense.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    edited May 2011
    i agree with jaweese, no to the auto cast.

But how about when a crag is created, an icon is placed on the coms screen somewhere ideal for quick clicking (e.g when you have the inactive peon in wc3)
    So there will be a little number displaying how many crags you have in total.
    So anyway when there's structures/aliens taking damage around (or in a crags range), this crag icon flashs red, For about 5 - 10 seconds unless something gets attacked again.

So then that gives the commander a chance to click the flashing icon and it will take his view straight to the activity, and multiple clicks can cycle through attacked crags if more than one is being attacked.
    So after that the crags selected, he goes to the view of it and can cast umbra. done!

To me that sounds simple enough, this is pure standard rts ######.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This could also be why they want more than 1 commander for aliens? Other comms can focus on the front lines while another handles the buildings. I see it becoming used once they can get the severs to the intended number of people.
    You want micromanagement for the sake of micromanagement? F*** that.
  • JaweeseJaweese Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58356Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1846146:date=May 14 2011, 02:43 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ May 14 2011, 02:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1846146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You want micromanagement for the sake of micromanagement? F*** that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The alien comm can be played to its full potential with an APM of around 5-10, and you want spells to be automated...
    Are we really that slow?

Micromanagement can separate the good players from the better players. It's like aiming or skill-based movement. But maybe you're right, and we'd all be better off if we didn't have to deal with these menial tasks. But then why have an alien commander to begin with, if it doesn't offer what RTS players enjoy? Just give the builder position to the gorge and it would save someone from having to play a glorified spectator each round.