Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Shotgun

Comments

• TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Liking it, but I have to agree with the sounds. The old one in comparison sounds a lot more like metal with the intent of disintegrating flesh, the new one has more bass but lacks something.
    The feeding on the top as well is cool and all but it's held in a fairly obtrusive way while reloading.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    Having your ammo displayed on your weapon is a very cool feature!
    Now you only need to find a similar trick to check the healt and body status of your marine... maybe pulsing veins on the edges of the screen that change the direction and the intensity of their pulsation to tell u where and how much you have pain... :D
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    Awesome, i like this!
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    One word: SICK! :D
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I agree with the number of 'clips' on the gun, number in the chamber on the display idea.

Overall the shotgun itself looks great... but

I do think screens far to flimsy, would make much more sense to just be mounted like on the rifle.

That reload animation is going to bug the hell of me, firstly seems far too calm, and a bit too delicate, but mostly, why the hell are the shells going in the front of the gun and where are they going when you put more than 1 in, there's no space!

I'll enjoy firing it, guess I'll just try not to look at it when reloading, least it break immersion for me.
  • MarshalTTMarshalTT Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33799Members
    I like the look of it. But try to redone the ammo display a bit, and maybe make another reloading method for the gun, like in NS1 downside barrel reload.

And the magical ammo supply:
    M:"Commander I NEED AMMO!"
    C:"Fck this! I dont have time to spamm ammo for you all the time! Just use your magic fingers...
    M:"Oh ok lol

(I know its not final yet)
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    edited June 2010
    MAGICAL SHOTGUN SHELLS OF APPEARING-NESS!!! RARR

Also does take up nearly 25% of your screen and the main center area of your screen. Understand your supposed to be vulnerable when reloading... Doesn't mean you have to be blind as well.

Just because that is where you characters visual is looking doesn't mean he can't use his eyeballs and look down to pull shotgun shells out of a real physical place and load them down at his hip or chest.

But we all know we load shotguns by holding them above our head and pulling the shells out of our sleeves.

Looks more like you designed shotgun to be a hinderance for the excessive firepower it has. Shoots pretty fast... But reloading it is just lame.

Sound wise... The shell loading is amazing. The blast is ... well it wouldn't even scare ducks away.
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited June 2010
    What about keeping the indicator lights and just show reserved ammo on screen. This would make the screen much more clean. And about the indicator lights, is it not possible the make them only "light up" when you look at them at a specific angle, or totally disable the lights for aliens? The indicator lights is what I really liked about this one :/. Same thing could be done for the gun with gl attachment. Let's say a gun can only bring 4 nades (no reserve), put up 4 indicator lights, and when you buy more at armory or whatever, these lights will fill up along with the ammo.
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774039:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:54 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jun 9 2010, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774039"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with the screen flimsiness. Something more robust may be in order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed too, it makes it look like some plastic toy gun where the screen could break off any moment.
    It's also kinda stupid that it's right there in the way where usually "iron sights" are supposed to be, sure future marines are awesome but it would be farstretched to assume that they allways fire from the hip and never use ironsights.

Placing the screen in the back of the stock should work there is a free space there.
  • TonicTonic Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64830Members
    there's no reason to add ironsights because the marines never bring it to their shoulder and sight down the barrel (unless this is an unannounced feature), hth
  • DooGieDooGie Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34531Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1774072:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:12 AM:name=StarClaws)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (StarClaws @ Jun 9 2010, 05:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->MAGICAL SHOTGUN SHELLS OF APPEARING-NESS!!! RARR

Also does take up nearly 25% of your screen and the main center area of your screen. Understand your supposed to be vulnerable when reloading... Doesn't mean you have to be blind as well.

Just because that is where you characters visual is looking doesn't mean he can't use his eyeballs and look down to pull shotgun shells out of a real physical place and load them down at his hip or chest.

But we all know we load shotguns by holding them above our head and pulling the shells out of our sleeves.

Looks more like you designed shotgun to be a hinderance for the excessive firepower it has. Shoots pretty fast... But reloading it is just lame.

Sound wise... The shell loading is amazing. The blast is ... well it wouldn't even scare ducks away.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

r_drawviewmodel 0 . It happened to me in tf2 and I play without weapon model since then. ;D
  • OptikalOptikal Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13583Members, Constellation
    I'm still confused why the shotgun does more damage vs. Armored units. The shotgun is mentioned as an early game weapon to help the marines push out against an unprepared alien front. So why would the shotgun be great against low-tier aliens plus armored aliens? Unless the shotgun is packing explosive bunker buster rounds then it probably shouldn't be good against armor. Keep it intuitive!
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1774079:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:36 AM:name=Tonic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tonic @ Jun 9 2010, 11:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there's no reason to add ironsights because the marines never bring it to their shoulder and sight down the barrel (unless this is an unannounced feature), hth<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I never implied that ironsights are gonna be in the game or should be added, but some "usability realism" should still be considered so the weapons look convincing.
    Sure you could but an scope on the underside of a rifle, would it look cool? Maybe.. would it make sense to anybody? Most likely not...

And putting an ammo counter in the place that a normal human beeing uses to aim is kinda bleh...
    Even without that argument the counter still looks stupid in that place and like it's gonna break off any moment :D
  • jimnablazedjimnablazed Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69946Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774059:date=Jun 9 2010, 08:38 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 9 2010, 08:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774059"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its a perfect shotgun :) solid and powerful looking and sounding. perfect :)
    thanks for the update!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I love the sideview in the concept art, but the above-view in-game is kind of boring in comparison. Sound is impressive, but might get old.
  • MathBRMathBR Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63226Members
    That soldier is not reloading the shotgun with shells, he is putting his own fingers in the gun to fire against aliens, sacrificing his own hands, the problem with that is that he only will shoot 9 times, since it the last finger is used to pull the trigger.
    LoL

Seriously, i realy like the shotgun model, and like even more to see the scenario with that "car / plataform" that i am realy curious to see in action in-game
    Att
  • iQueiQue Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 72003Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774061:date=Jun 9 2010, 08:50 AM:name=Windburn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Windburn @ Jun 9 2010, 08:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Any reason why the dots can't reflect your clip and the ammo counter reflect only how many rounds you have left on your personage? Surely with all the nanites hard at work, integration between the suit and the weapon is easy breezy.

It would solve the redundancy at least!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is an awesome idea, me likes.

I absolutely love the sound of the shotgun and the animation when you whip it out. If you're going for a powerful feel of the weapon, beef up the kickback on the model a bit when firing (don't add any screen kick for gods sake), as well as making the animations in general a bit more "violent". Move the weapon a bit more out of the way when reloading, like closer to the bottom of the screen, and tweak the reloading animation so it looks a bit more real.

Overall great job, can't wait to see all of the other weapons as well :D
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774088:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:19 PM:name=rebirth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rebirth @ Jun 9 2010, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never implied that ironsights are gonna be in the game or should be added, but some "usability realism" should still be considered so the weapons look convincing.
    Sure you could but an scope on the underside of a rifle, would it look cool? Maybe.. would it make sense to anybody? Most likely not...

And putting an ammo counter in the place that a normal human beeing uses to aim is kinda bleh...
    Even without that argument the counter still looks stupid in that place and like it's gonna break off any moment :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    loading a shotgun from the top doesnt make sense either
  • MarshalTTMarshalTT Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33799Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 8 2010, 09:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 8 2010, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, in all honesty this was due to a bit of an oversight on our part. Originally I wanted to have just the ammo indicator lights, to keep it clean and simple, and that's how it is in the concept. It went through the modeling and texturing phase, and then we realized, oops...that lets the player know how many shots they have left in the gun just fine, but doesn't tell them how much reserve ammo they have.

Long story short, we decided the fastest, cheapest, and clearest solution was to add the flip up screen, which is cohesive with all of the other marine guns, which also have ammo readout screens. So, a bit redundant, yes, but functional.

We also are going to look into adjusting the reload animation of the fingers a bit, to make it look a little less "magical" with the shells appearing, or perhaps try to have some more shells in his hand, but quite a few games do just have shells appear out of nowhere like that. The reload needs to be fast, and it would make the animation length too long to have the hand disappear off the screen to get more shells.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1. Remove the reserve ammo counter from the top.
    2. Indicate spare ammo on the hud, and only fade in/out when reloading (or pushing reload button). Many games use ammo display this way, and working well. Like in Bad Company 2.
    3. Get the ammo indicator lights work.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!
  • JzidEJzidE Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    This shotgun is EPIC!! I freaking love it when marine pulls shotgun out with one hand :)) Sound is amazing!! But 6 bullets is not enough, and the reload animation is kinda not finished.
  • Silencer91Silencer91 Join Date: 2009-03-13 Member: 66728Members
    The finished in-game model doesn't look half as cool as your concept art. Anyway, good job.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Well if the LED's on the side of the gun don't work out they can just cover it with that flap thing that reveals them!
  • spudgespudge Join Date: 2003-04-24 Member: 15797Members
    How about colour coding the indication lights to reflect the number of full loads? So let's say rounds 1-6 are red, 7-12 purple, 13-18 blue, 19+ white or what ever.
  • MathBRMathBR Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63226Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774105:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:33 AM:name=spudge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spudge @ Jun 9 2010, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about colour coding the indication lights to reflect the number of full loads? So let's say rounds 1-6 are red, 7-12 purple, 13-18 blue, 19+ white or what ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

with that concept the game will loses the idea of "noob-friendly", who is the target of developers
    Att
  • ClaviClavi Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68389Members
    - I agree with the fact that pumping shotgun sould be out of date in an age of nanites so a difrent "power feeling" animation should be used like a strong recoil or small gass ejection...
    - The SG a AOE short range gun in most FPS... so the armor penetration should be an upgrade
    - The reloading should be by a magazine of... n shels depending on the tipe of damage you chose to upgrade
    - The barrel is to short/ thin
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I like how there are multiple animations to chose from. Notice the reload animation is different between the two takes. In the first, he closes the mag with an open fist, in the second, the fist is closed. Cool.
  • Cr@zY-$HeePCr@zY-$HeeP Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 72004Members
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, but for my first post here I'm going to have to be a complete negative nancy.

I've simply loved everything you guys have been doing with NS2, <b>except for the shotgun</b>. Why? Because it strays too far from consistency with real-world plausibility and functionality. It just doesn't mesh with the other amazing stuff I've seen so far.

In its current state, the player would be pushing shells into the actual barrel of the gun, which is absurd because, after two or three shells, they would begin falling out the front of the shotgun. Beyond this, the 'magic fingers' as people have been saying before me are even more absurd looking. To top it all off, the ammo count redundancy makes the shotgun seem less like a finished weapon model, and more like a rushed effort.

My suggestion to fix it would be to:

1. Get rid of the LED readout on the side. It's unnecessary with the flip-up display.

2. Replace the LED readout on the side with the flip-out loading thing that you currently have on top, so the shotgun now loads from the side. This will allow the animation of the reload to be less 'magical', because the loading port will be closer to the bottom of the screen, allowing the hand to quickly move off screen between each shell insertion. Also, in this setup, if the shotgun is rotated 45 degrees CCW during reload, the loading port moves even closer to the bottom, and you can utilize a more standardized shotgun reload animation.

Sorry if it seems like I'm being mean, but in it's current state, I just feel like the shotgun is too inconsistent with the values expressed in the other amazing weaponry you guys have created.

In other news, NS2 looks freaking amazing!
  • snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2010
    The reload sequence is ugly ... where the hell get he the shells from???

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In other news, NS2 looks freaking amazing!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not more ... it takes to long ... dynamicall shadows every game has this... and left 4 dead 2 looks amazing, antialaising, texture filter... and all that stuff which isnt implemented still in the engine test... so come down. NS2 is losing his graphical WoW! because other games looks much better, reason? The didnt need 4 Years to develop a game.
  • haymohaymo Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34040Members, NS1 Playtester
    I don't like it as much as the NS1 shotgun honestly. That gun was perfect. The sounds on this one are a bit iffy, I hope they're changed to a more believable shotgun noise.