Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Shotgun

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Shotgun here

Comments

• WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Looks freakin' awesome.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    This shotgun is win. I love it! Looks like it's almost the same feel as the NS1 shotgun.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    Where are the shells coming from while he reloads? It also takes up a ton of screen space when reloading as well.
  • garvanigarvani Join Date: 2009-09-02 Member: 68678Members
    Looks great, sounds great.. cant ask for any more!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Surprise update woo!
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Love it! The shot gun shells appear from nanites in the air.

My only question is why do we need ammo indicator lights AND an ammo screen? Seems a little redundant. Either way looks awesome!
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Looks fantastic. I absolutely love the art direction and animations in this game. It's going to be so much fun switching between weapons and seeing them fold out like that.
  • T-StrikerT-Striker Join Date: 2004-08-28 Member: 30990Members
    Absolutely perfect! Big, solid, heavy sounding and nice slow rate of fire to make it sound like a cannon and give that nice pause between blasts!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Having both ammo counters does seem a bit redundant. I imagine it's there for those heat-of-battle critical situations where its quicker to read the dots than your ammo readout.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was surprised of the width of the shotgun. But every gun seems a tad larger so I guess it won't stand out in that aspect.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    The firing sound seems a little too boomy for my tastes but otherwise it looks sweet.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The second ammunition indicator (the 6 lights) might be for aliens to see how much ammo a rine has left? No idea. I'm personally fine with it.
  • WindburnWindburn Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18711Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1773994:date=Jun 8 2010, 09:45 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jun 8 2010, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having both ammo counters does seem a bit redundant. I imagine it's there for those heat-of-battle critical situations where its quicker to read the dots than your ammo readout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Though it's interesting that in the concept pictures explaining the various components, there's no mention of the ammo counter display (nor is there one drawn in, it's just a standard ironsight).

Maybe the ammo counter display isn't going to be in the final product, once the dot display is working?
    I'm not sure what I think about ammo counters for guns like the shot gun. I think having the dots is a good idea though, it's like a subtle cue rather than an in-your-face numbers hud.

I really love the beefiness of the weapon (contrary to a post above), and I love all the animations (would be cool to see a <i>slightly</i> longer draw animation though, blinked and I almost missed that one).

Nothing worse than a piddly looking shotgun, afterall.
    Can't wait to see the ammo display lights at work.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    Charlie clearly stated the ammo indicator lights weren't functioning yet, so I imagine the standard ammo indicator panel is just there until the lights are working.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1774002:date=Jun 8 2010, 08:58 PM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Jun 8 2010, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie clearly stated the ammo indicator lights weren't functioning yet, so I imagine the standard ammo indicator panel is just there until the lights are working.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then how would you know how many rounds you have left total?
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    Whats with all of the delay going on? Is the audio out of sync with the video?

The sound is actually pretty off putting, the boom is too much and it goes on for too long. The original shotgun sound has a great authority to it, and is very immediate. It was also really unique (for an sg). The new sound is scooped sounding (boom and shine, the only mids come when the reload sound happens) and lingers, it doesn't have the oomph (not bass, but presence) of the original and it sounds really generic.

For reference, check out <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7E_s7TWrEI&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7E_s7TWrEI...feature=related</a>
    and go to 3:25. Compare the two, the new one just sounds wrong.

edit- I like the visuals though, the profile design is nice.. it does look a little big and boxy in the view though...
  • FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    The old shotgun reloading animation was better for gameplay because the gun was held off to the side allowing the player to see what was going on. I love the model though.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited June 2010
    I like how it extends when drawn, without the user having to do anything else but hold on :P

I think the little screen that comes up is a bit distracting in it's position on the weapon (besides looking a little fragile).

Also it seems odd that you want those lights on the side to indicate shells left while also having the ammo readout mounted on top?.

Perhaps a ammo-readout embedded in that slanted region near the current placement would of been better, or mounted to replace the lights to the side of the weapon?

Also it seems like your loading shells into the barrel that's firing, which is a little weird (maybe make the magazine tube on top, and the barrel on bottom?).

Overall i like it :P
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1774005:date=Jun 8 2010, 10:10 PM:name=Fraxinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fraxinus @ Jun 8 2010, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774005"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The old shotgun reloading animation was better for gameplay because the gun was held off to the side allowing the player to see what was going on. I love the model though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's not necessarily better, reloading is supposed to leave you vulnerable.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited June 2010
    HOLY ###### THATS HOTTT

*throws off pants

but I do have to admit, I don't like the way it sounds.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I like the way it sounds.

The magical reload fingers made me lol though.

=D
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Love the model and the counter. Just wish, like others have mentioned, that it didn't take up 40% of the screen when reloading. What's the secondary mode going to be?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1773991:date=Jun 9 2010, 01:41 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jun 9 2010, 01:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773991"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only question is why do we need ammo indicator lights AND an ammo screen? Seems a little redundant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, in all honesty this was due to a bit of an oversight on our part. Originally I wanted to have just the ammo indicator lights, to keep it clean and simple, and that's how it is in the concept. It went through the modeling and texturing phase, and then we realized, oops...that lets the player know how many shots they have left in the gun just fine, but doesn't tell them how much reserve ammo they have.

Long story short, we decided the fastest, cheapest, and clearest solution was to add the flip up screen, which is cohesive with all of the other marine guns, which also have ammo readout screens. So, a bit redundant, yes, but functional.

We also are going to look into adjusting the reload animation of the fingers a bit, to make it look a little less "magical" with the shells appearing, or perhaps try to have some more shells in his hand, but quite a few games do just have shells appear out of nowhere like that. The reload needs to be fast, and it would make the animation length too long to have the hand disappear off the screen to get more shells.

--Cory
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 8 2010, 07:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 8 2010, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, in all honesty this was due to a bit of an oversight on our part. Originally I wanted to have just the ammo indicator lights, to keep it clean and simple, and that's how it is in the concept. It went through the modeling and texturing phase, and then we realized, oops...that lets the player know how many shots they have left in the gun just fine, but doesn't tell them how much reserve ammo they have.

Long story short, we decided the fastest, cheapest, and clearest solution was to add the flip up screen, which is cohesive with all of the other marine guns, which also have ammo readout screens. So, a bit redundant, yes, but functional.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually you guys did something without purposefully doing it for balancing the effectiveness of the Skulk, even though it is very minor.

Someone with good(or not as I will show/explain) graphics will be able to read the individual amount of lights on the side of the Shotgun(while also listening to sound around the corner) to know when to un-cling from a wall, leap in, or just plain ol' attack.

You actually do not have to count the individual lights as well, if the side of the Shotgun is not lit up or is very dim lited, that Marine has very few shells loaded(1/2 or none at all) and it is now the right time to attack.

What's the point of even noting this fact, Skulks don't always have to instant die to a group of 2/3 Shotgun Marines always now, they can visually read the situation to know when to attack.

Starcraft 1/2 example, Marines Stim twice by accident, Zerglings now have a good chance of winning even if they are at an equal number to the Marine count they are attacking; especially if the Medic/Healing count is low.

Of course, this is all moot if the Shotgun reloads at ludacris(^_^) speed.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    Could just be the framerate, but the shotgun animations seem a little calm for a such a violent sounding blast.
    Otherwise, I like it!
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    fap fap fap fap fap -

OH hai good stuff. love it, I lol'd when I read "And here is some brief in-game footage put together quickly to give you a taste for the what the shotgun looks and sounds like in game as it blasts the heck out of walls, dust particles, and thin air."

fap fap fap fap
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774016:date=Jun 8 2010, 07:55 PM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jun 8 2010, 07:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Could just be the framerate, but the shotgun animations seem a little calm for a such a violent sounding blast.
    Otherwise, I like it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Internal stabilizers, created by nanites.

LOLZ!!!
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774006:date=Jun 9 2010, 01:15 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jun 9 2010, 01:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774006"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also it seems like your loading shells into the barrel that's firing, which is a little weird (maybe make the magazine tube on top, and the barrel on bottom?).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    that is my problem with it as well. you cant have the shotgun magazine inline with the barrel. the shells are loaded too far forward. when you load shells into a shotgun, they push the shells already in there forward. if the magazine was on top, then you'd be able to fit max 3 shells in the shotgun.

also because the ejection port is so far forward, theres no need for the shot gun to extend out, you could chop off everything between the pistol grip and ejection port and just make it shorter
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I love it.
    allso really nice thinking on the quick fix (for how much ammo you still got left) it looks good.