Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Shotgun

Comments

• MotherGooseMotherGoose Join Date: 2002-03-12 Member: 308Members, Constellation
    very nice.

the reload sound is a little "slappy" and the blast sound could do with a bit more gravitas.

are there any idle animations as yet? like the rine tilting the gun to the side to check the ammo lights>?
  • SuniahkSuniahk Join Date: 2009-12-13 Member: 69630Members
    Great design, but for a very small thing. After every shot, you have to chamber a new cartridge. That's how that design of shotgun works. However, after you chamber the cartridge, you should not chamber a second cartridge (as you do when you reload)... It's not a double-barrelled shotgun, right?

So, under normal circumstances, you shouldn't re-chamber a cartridge after reloading. Only case this should apply is when you fired your last shot and have to reload completely.

Just my two cents. ;)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Super awesome update.
    good followup from the damage types.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Oh by the way thanks for updates, I love them keep doing them! The community thanks you.
  • evanbennevanbenn Join Date: 2010-06-08 Member: 71995Members
    keep in mind, competitive players WILL turn off the onscreen guns. So please make sure there is hud info on bullets etc..
    why the hell do people care so much about how realistic the shotgun is? strange
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774026:date=Jun 8 2010, 10:32 PM:name=evanbenn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (evanbenn @ Jun 8 2010, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->keep in mind, competitive players WILL turn off the onscreen guns. So please make sure there is hud info on bullets etc..
    why the hell do people care so much about how realistic the shotgun is? strange<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why the hell do people care so much about on-screen HUD info? Everybody should be perfectly fine with the info being portrayed on the guns.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Wow.. that is bad ass, especially the powerful firing sounds that echo from each shot. I almost feel like everything he is shooting at should be getting destroyed and collapsing with all that power.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774027:date=Jun 9 2010, 03:36 AM:name=Heyman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heyman @ Jun 9 2010, 03:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why the hell do people care so much about on-screen HUD info? Everybody should be perfectly fine with the info being portrayed on the guns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, at least I constantly used the NS1 HUD to understand the timings, to keep track of the commander's plan and ability to act, to know how the situation on the map progresses and so on. NS has got RTS blood in it after all, it's often a good idea to see past your own FPS view. To me minimalistic HUD and FPS/RTS hybrid seem like a combination that doesn't go together well, but I guess they've thought it out pretty carefully at this point.

Also, there's probably consistency to lock the gun to the screen if that's the dev intetion. Just like it was in NS1. I don't know anyone who would have their gun removed in NS1.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    the flip-up screen seems a bit flimsy, what about putting the screen on the blank area right below where the current screen is?
  • SilverwareSilverware Join Date: 2010-04-16 Member: 71432Members
    I say ramp up the kick.
    It does look rather weak at the moment.

You could also change the side ammo indicators to a heat vent, that glows hotter as you fire more, and dulls down after time.
    Just as a visual fun.

Magic fingers should also have a handful of rounds when they come up, makes it a little more realistic, only have to display two or three and it will look like 6 or so. Or make him have to go back to his pocket after three, to make people want to reload at 3, rather than at 0 rounds remaining. Would help keep people economical with shotgun rounds.

But other than that it looks great, cant wait for the next gun release!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1774026:date=Jun 8 2010, 11:32 PM:name=evanbenn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (evanbenn @ Jun 8 2010, 11:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->keep in mind, competitive players WILL turn off the onscreen guns. So please make sure there is hud info on bullets etc..
    why the hell do people care so much about how realistic the shotgun is? strange<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What? Something to keep people from removing skins to get a stupid advantage? Sounds like it should stay.
  • LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774035:date=Jun 9 2010, 12:36 AM:name=Silverware)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverware @ Jun 9 2010, 12:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Magic fingers should also have a handful of rounds when they come up, makes it a little more realistic, only have to display two or three and it will look like 6 or so. Or make him have to go back to his pocket after three, to make people want to reload at 3, rather than at 0 rounds remaining. Would help keep people economical with shotgun rounds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like that idea, if pressing reload only reloaded 3 rounds at a time, or at least if there was a larger delay after 3. Unless he keeps the shots up his sleeve, it would be hard to hold more than 3 in his hand without dropping any.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774034:date=Jun 9 2010, 05:34 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Jun 9 2010, 05:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the flip-up screen seems a bit flimsy, what about putting the screen on the blank area right below where the current screen is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with the screen flimsiness. Something more robust may be in order.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Oh my lord i'm loving the sound of that shotgun, has that meaty in your face sound that makes very good use of my sub.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Liking the chunky look and sound, the NS1 shotgun always felt kinda flimsy.

I also like that it seems to have a good spread, not too wide but wide enough to let you hit with ease.

Hopefully there will be some way to keep it useful through the entire game even if the good vs armor part gets changed.
  • GaroGaro Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33134Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1774029:date=Jun 8 2010, 10:50 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Jun 8 2010, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774029"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, at least I constantly used the NS1 HUD to understand the timings, to keep track of the commander's plan and ability to act, to know how the situation on the map progresses and so on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Word on this. I even keep the overlay map open literally about half the time, always when I build, when I travel etc. It's a very powerful way to see the entire field and predict where I should go next. I'm pretty sure that nearly nobody does this, because everyone is always screaming when they encounter a big and complex map like ns_machina because they get lost :D

- Garo
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 8 2010, 08:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 8 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, in all honesty this was due to a bit of an oversight on our part. Originally I wanted to have just the ammo indicator lights, to keep it clean and simple, and that's how it is in the concept. It went through the modeling and texturing phase, and then we realized, oops...that lets the player know how many shots they have left in the gun just fine, but doesn't tell them how much reserve ammo they have.

Long story short, we decided the fastest, cheapest, and clearest solution was to add the flip up screen, which is cohesive with all of the other marine guns, which also have ammo readout screens. So, a bit redundant, yes, but functional.

We also are going to look into adjusting the reload animation of the fingers a bit, to make it look a little less "magical" with the shells appearing, or perhaps try to have some more shells in his hand, but quite a few games do just have shells appear out of nowhere like that. The reload needs to be fast, and it would make the animation length too long to have the hand disappear off the screen to get more shells.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was hoping to see a reload animation like the Doom 3 plasma rifle. It would solve the magic reload with a clip based version while being badass. I love reloading that gun just for the clunk of the canister dropping and the charge up noise. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Xnz2R1HB4#t=55s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Xnz2R1HB4#t=55s</a>
  • UnknownUnknown Join Date: 1970-01-01 Member:
    edited June 2010
    Some kind of shell-pipeline which is under your arm/hands would be nice. :)
  • KerostasisKerostasis Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33056Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774036:date=Jun 8 2010, 11:43 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 8 2010, 11:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What? Something to keep people from removing skins to get a stupid advantage? Sounds like it should stay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, no kidding. I'm generally in favor of more HUD rather than less HUD to begin with, but if the best argument you can come up with is that competitive players <i>wont gain as much of an advantage</i> by screwing with the default HUD, then by all means go with the gun-readouts! Comp players dont NEED to gain an advantage by disabling gun animations. They won't disable them if they get hurt by it instead of helped.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I'm sure if people want it you can make a mode where all the models and textures are replaced with brightly coloured cubes and you shoot invisible death rays from the centre of the screen, otherwise I don't really think encouraging people to strip out elements of the game is a good idea.
  • BetaSwordBetaSword Join Date: 2005-01-18 Member: 36256Members
    I like the new design, but apparently having only 6 Shellsin the Shotgun is a bit, where we players might need some time, getting accustomated to.
    I hope, that the Damage ges up, to about 1 and 1/3 of the original, so that the Damage per fully loaded Shotgun keeps the same.
    Also, having the Lights as an additional counter for the Ammo is quite irritating, how's about making that into damage-Amp-Cells, that adds purchades Weapon-Upgrades(Maybe energy-Based upgrades, that are actually visible, taking the place of the NS1-Damage-Upgrades)
  • roCosroCos Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67685Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773988:date=Jun 9 2010, 03:38 AM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Jun 9 2010, 03:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are the shells coming from while he reloads? It also takes up a ton of screen space when reloading as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 9 2010, 04:38 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 9 2010, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]
    We also are going to look into adjusting the reload animation of the fingers a bit, to make it look a little less "magical" with the shells appearing, or perhaps try to have some more shells in his hand, but quite a few games do just have shells appear out of nowhere like that. The reload needs to be fast, and it would make the animation length too long to have the hand disappear off the screen to get more shells.
    [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with Lemming Jesus, that the reload-animation tooks a lot of place on the screen. maybe just narrow it a bit to the bottom?
    And if the shotgun is closer to the bottom in the reload-animation and maybe held a bit sideways like in ns1 you can move the hand out of the screen into the screen with new shells, can't you?

Anyway, I like the model! concept and render looks awesome! keep it going, I like your updates! ;D
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1773988:date=Jun 9 2010, 11:38 AM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Jun 9 2010, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Where are the shells coming from while he reloads? It also takes up a ton of screen space when reloading as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Marine obviously has spirit fingers and is a master of sleight of hand. Oh and the sg is looking brilliant. I do wish there was a way to just have the lights to indicate ammo, it was a great idea. Shame about it not displaying the reserve ammo.
  • ChickenOfWarChickenOfWar Join Date: 2003-04-09 Member: 15352Members
    Interesting design... though the position of the breach indicates a barrel that is at the most 6 inches long! The projectiles could get so much more velocity in a longer barrel.

The illusion of realism also fails on me when I'm seeing a shotgun with all this crazy futuristic stuff on it like a holographic ammo display yet it's still a pump action shotgun. Pump actions are starting to be phased out today... I highly doubt they will still be around at all let alone for military use all those years in the future. buuuut balance issues...
  • TailorTailor Join Date: 2003-02-24 Member: 13927Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    Okay, I think that the shotgun should have a top-loading clip that has 6 rounds loaded front to back. Idea comes from <a href="http://www.metalstorm.com/content/view/64/109/" target="_blank">Metal Storm</a>. The only issue is that if you reload before all 6, it might force a loss of the remaining rounds since the loading tubes are pre-loaded. If you follow the idea pretty closely, it might also allow a brute force attack, unleashing the remainder of the clip almost instantly, perhaps a significant kickback at this? Also, since it would be controlled through electrical impulses through the barrel, no pump is needed.

I also think the shotgun upgrade should be like the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCIMTR" target="_blank">SCIMTR</a> instead of flechette.

Otherwise, I like the design... perhaps another set of smaller lights in a single column, each light indicating 6 rounds in reserve?
  • TonicTonic Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64830Members
    It should be semi-auto so you don't have to pump to chamber the next round, it just automatically chambers the next round with each shot. A good example where you can observe the difference is in the tier 1 shotguns vs the tier 2 shotguns in left4dead2. Notice that the tier 2 shotguns still have a pump so that you don't have to scrap your pump animation, just re-do the 'gun logic'.
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_shotgun" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_shotgun</a>
    I mean, assuming these are designed for use in combat. If the manufacturer is going to spend their money on all sorts of flip-up screens and compact modes there's no reason why they wouldn't give that advantage to the marines using them. I understand that pumping the shotgun is gritty and cool and whatever but, eh.

Buckshot wouldn't really be effective vs armor as stated in the front page post. The advantage of shot is the spread, so you can hit small, fast-moving, fleshy targets like wild game, which is what they were designed for.
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell</a>
    It might be good as an early game upgrade to counter lerks. If you wanted an anti-armor round, you could have a specific upgrade to rifled slugs, which is just one huge chunk of metal.
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_slug</a>
    This would also help keep the basic marine versatile.

also yeah the loading makes no sense. Is it just a matter of 'lol dev logic ^_^ kekeke deal wit it lol'?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    its a perfect shotgun :) solid and powerful looking and sounding. perfect :)
    thanks for the update!
  • WindburnWindburn Join Date: 2003-08-02 Member: 18711Members, Constellation
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 8 2010, 10:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 8 2010, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Long story short, we decided the fastest, cheapest, and clearest solution was to add the flip up screen, which is cohesive with all of the other marine guns, which also have ammo readout screens. So, a bit redundant, yes, but functional.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any reason why the dots can't reflect your clip and the ammo counter reflect only how many rounds you have left on your personage? Surely with all the nanites hard at work, integration between the suit and the weapon is easy breezy.

It would solve the redundancy at least!

<!--quoteo(post=1774013:date=Jun 8 2010, 10:38 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 8 2010, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We also are going to look into adjusting the reload animation of the fingers a bit, to make it look a little less "magical" with the shells appearing, or perhaps try to have some more shells in his hand, but quite a few games do just have shells appear out of nowhere like that. The reload needs to be fast, and it would make the animation length too long to have the hand disappear off the screen to get more shells.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Also, does it have to be shells? Couldn't he insert like a clip of some kind (or shell canister) into that top compartment (one motion), slam down on it like he does, then do something else with the gun itself to lock and load? Normally in games shells are inserted in the off-side of the weapon, or underneath, so the don't have the issue of magic shells. My suggestion: same reload time, no magic shells necessary.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited June 2010
    Shotgun looks ok, but NS2 takes ages :(
    All of my friends say they would love play ns2 but they think it will never release or maybe 2013 and then its old, i say no its comming this year.
    Anyway it realy takes long, i know you are just a tiny group but can't you hire modelers from e.g. turbosquid.com?
    Some people did a very good job for a low price and save you a lot of time.
    Anyway keep your good work!
    I hope the fps issues are only because of recording but one problem is with the Ammo counter on the weapon, you can't realy see all the time, which make it very hard to see or count.
    Can't you use something like in Half-Life 2?
    On Crosshair Health and Ammo counter?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1773994:date=Jun 8 2010, 08:45 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jun 8 2010, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having both ammo counters does seem a bit redundant. I imagine it's there for those heat-of-battle critical situations where its quicker to read the dots than your ammo readout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah.

I think its important to keep the LCD display that appears on the gun. For 'eye candy' the other lights can turn on/off.

I want to quickly tell how much ammo I have in a nanosecond, not have to look for lights on a gun.