World Cup 2010.

Comments

• DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    sports haters represent!

I live in Philly, and I said "Go Flyers" to two separate people at separate times and they both cracked up because it's sort of a running joke how non-sporty I am.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772862:date=May 30 2010, 06:51 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ May 30 2010, 06:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772862"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sports haters represent!

I live in Philly, and I said "Go Flyers" to two separate people at separate times and they both cracked up because it's sort of a running joke how non-sporty I am.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't even hate sports, it just boggles my mind how much people throw themselves into the idea of fandom.

So a group of people wearing a shirt with "England" on it are going to play a game against a bunch of people who aren't wearing "England" shirts. There's no pride in that. It has literally nothing to do with you, unless you're on the team or bankroll the team.

But no, instantly millions of people in England completely lose their ######. A significant portion of them will also start a fight and generally become complete ###### regardless of the result. It's crazy.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772848:date=May 30 2010, 06:21 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ May 30 2010, 06:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno... we're pretty good at football and baseball.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wait, did you even watch the global tournament for Baseball? US got rolled.

Also, no one else plays football seriously. Other countries either play footbol (i.e. soccer for you non-espanol readers) or rugby.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772872:date=May 30 2010, 04:42 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ May 30 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772872"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait, did you even watch the global tournament for Baseball? US got rolled.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would I watch baseball? That ###### is boring.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    It gets worse, Stickman. There are people who will have their entire day, their entire week ruined because their favourite team lost.

Incidentally, this is how you know that things like tennis or starcraft or snooker aren't real sports: Nobody gets upset if their favourite player loses.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I get angry when Federer loses to Nadal. I also got angry when O' Sullivan lost in the world championship >_> I was a little sad when idra lost to whitera :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just for the record... Hooligans are not supporter, they're just criminals who use the sport as an excuse...
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1772902:date=May 31 2010, 09:50 AM:name=pallie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pallie @ May 31 2010, 09:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I get angry when Federer loses to Nadal. I also got angry when O' Sullivan lost in the world championship >_> I was a little sad when idra lost to whitera :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you get angry over this John Higgins thing? That just came out of nowhere, didn't it?

Cast some doubt over Steve Davis' win against him, too. That must've hurt Davis.
  • palliepallie Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69028Members
    I don't think Higgins would throw a world championship match. It seems more likely to me that he knew the news was coming out and he was unable to focus on his game. And yeah, stuff like throwing games for bets or when cyclists use drugs. Or even worse <a href="http://www.eitb.com/news/detail/433187/did-cancellara-use-a-mechanic-engine-his-bike/" target="_blank">Cancellara being blamed for having an engine in his bike.</a>

It just makes watching sports less fun :(
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited May 2010
    Germany always wins? <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbExFIbx_0" target="_blank">Let's remember what happened in that Euro 2008 final...</a> (with German audio).

Spain will face Brazil/Portugal/Ivory Coast (South Korea? heh, heh) after the group stage... so... I'm being cautious.
    <!--quoteo(post=1772930:date=May 31 2010, 04:50 PM:name=pallie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pallie @ May 31 2010, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772930"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think Higgins would throw a world championship match. It seems more likely to me that he knew the news was coming out and he was unable to focus on his game. And yeah, stuff like throwing games for bets or when cyclists use drugs. Or even worse <a href="http://www.eitb.com/news/detail/433187/did-cancellara-use-a-mechanic-engine-his-bike/" target="_blank">Cancellara being blamed for having an engine in his bike.</a>

It just makes watching sports less fun :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha

Man. They should have a seperate competition for each sport to see who can cheat most creatively.

I think my favourite one so far is one I heard on Q.I, in an old bike race where a guy just took a train to the end.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    You should enter "most hypocritical cynic" of the year league, or something as a sport.
    Because I liked it so much the first time...

<!--quoteo(post=1773019:date=Jun 1 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 1 2010, 07:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk" target="_blank">hypocritical</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    I would totally be down for a most creative sports cheat thread. After all you would only get to find out this the got caught doing it. This makes it really more about spending a huge amount of time and effort cheating only to fail really horribly.

Back to the world cup, I like to think about this as an opportunity to watch soccer, drink beer and yell a lot. What's not to like?
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1773090:date=Jun 2 2010, 03:49 PM:name=Confused)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Confused @ Jun 2 2010, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would totally be down for a most creative sports cheat thread. After all you would only get to find out this the got caught doing it. This makes it really more about spending a huge amount of time and effort cheating only to fail really horribly.

Back to the world cup, I like to think about this as an opportunity to watch soccer, drink beer and yell a lot. What's not to like?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or you don't get caught..

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbbsytHDp2o"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DbbsytHDp2o" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1773162:date=Jun 3 2010, 04:45 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 3 2010, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or you don't get caught..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what video umpires are for.. and thats why they should be used.. ESPECIALLY in a game where goals are so rare. Tradition my ass.. this is the future and we have technology now. use it.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    All that drama resulting from bad calls is a big part of soccer.

It's like random shotgun spread..
    <!--quoteo(post=1773162:date=Jun 3 2010, 09:15 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 3 2010, 09:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773162"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or you don't get caught..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He still got caught eventually.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    did he use his hand instead of his head? It's really hard to tell in that video. If so, good for him...
    edited June 2010
    It's sort of titled <b>hand</b> of god for a reason.
    <!--quoteo(post=1773240:date=Jun 3 2010, 09:08 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 3 2010, 09:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's sort of titled <b>hand</b> of god for a reason.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wait, so you're saying he's god?
    Yes that's exactly what I'm saying. Maradonna is God.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1772312:date=May 26 2010, 09:34 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ May 26 2010, 09:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1772312"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm Irish. I'm supporting 31 teams in the world cup.

To all those who made it to the finals, on behalf of Ireland, please ###### up france.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There won't be much supporting to do, France lost against China in a friendly match a few days ago ^^
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    We- England- have lost Ferdiand which I think could be a blessing in disguise. A poor domestic season wouldn't stop him being the first on the teamsheet as he's captain. Surprised King is favoured as his replacement- dodgy, dodgy knees. Carragher is always a steady center half. Quarter finals for England, I hope.

I drew the Argentinians in our pool for work. Normally I'd be optimistic but Maradona's Argentina were atrocious in the American qualifiers.

Serbia and Ivory Coast as the underdogs. Serbia have quality players with no reputation and thus no ego. It's a good mix- worked well for Croatia. If nothing else, The Elephants have Drogba to roll around on the turf and cheat their way past a couple of teams!
    <!--quoteo(post=1773929:date=Jun 8 2010, 05:59 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Jun 8 2010, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773929"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If nothing else, The Elephants have Drogba to roll around on the turf and cheat their way past a couple of teams!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not no more! :D
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    USA has been getting rolled at world basketball, and it's sickening. Stupid NBA players don't want to get hurt in the "offseason" cause they are too busy making money hand over fist to represent. Garnett goes and plays for barbados or something, duncan is getting old, lebron is a ######, etc etc

it should be dream team every year ffs, not a bunch of college guys who are actually down to rep USA on world stage

that being said, yay soccer in South Africa, any ideas on how long it's going to take terrorists to attack?!
    <!--quoteo(post=1773955:date=Jun 8 2010, 04:41 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jun 8 2010, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1773955"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->USA has been getting rolled at world basketball, and it's sickening. Stupid NBA players don't want to get hurt in the "offseason" cause they are too busy making money hand over fist to represent. Garnett goes and plays for barbados or something, duncan is getting old, lebron is a ######, etc etc

it should be dream team every year ffs, not a bunch of college guys who are actually down to rep USA on world stage<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Think about that logically. Why would any single person risk losing their primary, and ridiculously high, source of income in exchange for almost nothing in return? I wouldn't do it because it doesn't make any sense.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    On a Note relating back to the cheating discussion, I stumbled across a fantasy cheaters league for the world cup in case any one wants to submit a team of "time-wasting, shirt-tugging, cheating scumbags".

<a href="http://www.fantasycheatersleague.com/" target="_blank">http://www.fantasycheatersleague.com/</a>

Points awarded for:

<ul><li>Diving</li><li>Cynical Fouls</li><li>Feigning Injury</li><li>Stealing a few feet on a restart of play</li><li>Cheat of the Match</li><li>Invisible Card Wave</li><li>Handballs</li><li>Time wasting</li><li>"Utter Filth"</li></ul>

Points removed for cards received