Bunny Hopping

heycheckitheycheckit Join Date: 2009-12-31 Member: 69836Members Posts: 3
So was ol' Charlie actually able to implement bhopping or did he sidestep the coding challange like he did with the crooked shotguns in ns1.

Comments

• BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation Posts: 220
    as far as I know it was stated that old gameplay bugs were not part of the new game, but other ways of easy to learn difficult to master would be implemented.

of course now a discussion will start on bunnyhopping being a bug or not, but that doesn't really relate to this matter
    UWE are one of the best gamedevelopers in the world, in the sense of gamedesign and community involvement. The games they made are amongst the best games I've ever played, and after mmo's the games I spent the most time playing. If you see me complaining about a feature, realize this is because I love the game and want to help improve it.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members Posts: 1,043
    It's in for skulks.
    [Fanarama] you're like kryptonite to electronics, sherpa
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members Posts: 3,365
    edited May 2010
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...;s_new_from_NS1

Bhop is in, but in theory there are other stop gaps (like SKulk HIve1 Leap) to make it less OP.

However, as sherpa stated, it's only confirmed for the Skulk.
    helping bring perspective and learning since the olde days

<jenny> What's the plural of 'Onos'?
    <Mexican> For a while, I thought it was 'Oh ######'!

Vote on your Ideas/Suggestions!
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=125347
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 2,598 Advanced user
    It should only be in for skulks, anything else would look silly bunny hopping. Besides, marines are getting sprint.
  • RebeliRebeli Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17158Members, Constellation Posts: 46
    QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 24 2010, 07:09 PM) »
    It should only be in for skulks, anything else would look silly bunny hopping. Besides, marines are getting sprint.

I have to disagree. Great games are not about the looks, they are about the gameplay. NS1 certainly fits that bill. :)
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation Posts: 504 Fully active user
    We're not getting into a Bunny Hopping debate again.
    If you have nothing to contribute that is productive for this thread, please let it die.
    Bring Back Natural Selection 1
    QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Aug 3 2010, 01:02 PM) »
    I love stripping away commander to soldier relations and turning the game into a run to the hive and click mouse 1, and repeat till victory.
    While the commander plays his little rts game isolated from the rest of the team.
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members Posts: 406
    QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ May 24 2010, 09:06 PM) »
    We're not getting into a Bunny Hopping debate again.
    If you have nothing to contribute that is productive for this thread, please let it die.

I echo this man's sentiments.

Bhop's in for skulks. Bhop for everything else is gone. End of story.
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members Posts: 184
    There should be no bunny hopping at all.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members Posts: 185
    QUOTE (Rebeli @ May 25 2010, 07:31 AM) »
    I have to disagree. Great games are not about the looks, they are about the gameplay. NS1 certainly fits that bill. :)

I liked ns1's looks and atmosphere..
    Rarmy
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation Posts: 4,111 mod
    I'm glad you brought the topic up, my favourite is mattie, what's yours?

Retired NS1 Developer, currently making myself useful as a forum moderator - message me for any mod related requests.
    robinhood752
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members Posts: 2,769 Fully active user
    Haha, I like how Muffy just tore apart the obstacle instead of resorting to physics bug abuse.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation Posts: 1,335
    Yes, scaling and destructible terrain is the ######.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members Posts: 622
    That was clearly entity and noclip abuse.

=D
    Your sig was nuked as it was larger than the maximum allowed size. In future make your sig images 400x75 pixels (or smaller) and 22kb (or smaller) - Mouse
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 3,660
    QUOTE (puzl @ May 25 2010, 03:10 PM) »
    I'm glad you brought the topic up, my favourite is mattie, what's yours?

Probably the blonde bunny in the black pants, but cant be to sure about that.

Anyway, QFT:

QUOTE (revi.uk)
    There should be no bunny hopping at all.
  • -Drake--Drake- -dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ- Join Date: 2003-04-02 Member: 15125Members Posts: 2,281
    edited May 2010
    I never really seen the point in bunny hopping surely if you wanted to move fast you would pick the clarity upgrade (think thats what it was called).

In my opinion the only reason people did it was so they could go with a different upgrade path while still being able to move around quickly.

Needless to say I dont think it should be in NS2 at all.
    (ノ◕㉨◕)ノ*:・゚✧
  • EddieEddie Join Date: 2004-10-22 Member: 32412Members, Constellation Posts: 113
    edited May 2010
    Celerity

And why wouldn't you get celerity and stack it with your bunny hop? A skulk with 500+ movement speed is hella fast. Makes a silence/adren lerk eat your dust. Why would you get silence when you can get to a marine before he even hears you?

P.S. A non-celerity non-bhopping skulk has a 290 movement speed. You can almost double your speed.
    QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)
    the only thing that separates investors, supporters, and customers are varying degrees of blindness.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation Posts: 1,335
    Because a marine that's at the skill level of an effectively max speed bhopping skulk can deal with it.
  • heycheckitheycheckit Join Date: 2009-12-31 Member: 69836Members Posts: 3
    I did not start this topic intending to start yet another pointless debate on the merits of bhopping. I merely wanted confirmation by former competitive players (Thanks sherpa) if bhopping had been faifthfully recreated in NS2.
    Bhopping as a skulk was fun. Learning how to bhop was even more fun. That is all I have to say on the matter on this topic.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester Posts: 2,301 Fully active user
    QUOTE (sherpa @ May 24 2010, 11:48 AM) »
    It's in for skulks.

Link to the dev post. Because they have stated countless times on the the subject of bunny hopping that nothing has been decided.
    Cyanide
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization Posts: 104
    QUOTE (Bacillus @ May 25 2010, 03:35 PM) »
    Haha, I like how Muffy just tore apart the obstacle instead of resorting to physics bug abuse.

+1

Im thinking about renaming me to Muffy :D
  • PrivatePrivate Join Date: 2007-06-10 Member: 61204Members, Constellation Posts: 91
    QUOTE (Cyanide @ May 26 2010, 09:29 AM) »
    Link to the dev post. Because they have stated countless times on the the subject of bunny hopping that nothing has been decided.

You can still bunny as a skulk.

Very succinct, if I may offer my humble opinion. It lacks an air of finality though; hidden away in a one line forum post, marred by the word 'still'.
    Private - I'll be the one running away, screaming like a little girl. Eeeeeeee... .
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation Posts: 786
    From memory it was tied into the new leap which is a 1 hive ability
    QUOTE (pSyk0mAn)
    Whats you're point ?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members Posts: 2,769 Fully active user
    QUOTE (steppin'razor @ May 27 2010, 08:14 AM) »
    From memory it was tied into the new leap which is a 1 hive ability

The 1st hive leap is most likely going to reduce the necessity of speed gain on bhopping a lot, but otherwise I can't remember reading of any direct connection between them. Obviously constant jumping would be used to preserve the leap speed, but I don't know if that can be called bhop.

Anyone able to find any source for this?
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer Posts: 1,122 Fully active user
    edited May 2010
    Leap is Hive 1 Ability, Remeber them saying so very well. So the need for bhop would not be needed.. I think it looks real stupid, wicks me to hell watching a skulk do a fairy dance in this type of game but whatever..

Also the other benefit of bhoping other than speed gain in NS1 might not be there in regaurds to the hitboxes going nuts making the skulk hard to shoot. (HL Perdiction Code desyncs hit boxes from model quite badly because of rapid change of direction versus a pingy/lossy player), Thats usualy the natural benefit of it even if the Player doing the hopping is unaware of the hitbox problem or knows about it and uses it on purpose. Its mostly a problem with the skulk because its so small.
    This desync also occours in Source Engine. Its just Valves net code for you.

So you might find bunnyhop in NS2 wont work to the same full tactical advantage as it did in NS1. (In Theory - because NS2 = Different Net Code)
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 3,660
    It's better, not perfect.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members Posts: 7,019
    QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ May 24 2010, 12:09 PM) »

If it's like source games, where you can jump while sprinting, then bopping is still in for marines. Sort of.
    O_O image
    edited May 2010
    QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ May 27 2010, 12:05 PM) »
    Also the other benefit of bhoping other than speed gain in NS1 might not be there in regaurds to the hitboxes going nuts making the skulk hard to shoot. (HL Perdiction Code desyncs hit boxes from model quite badly because of rapid change of direction versus a pingy/lossy player), Thats usualy the natural benefit of it even if the Player doing the hopping is unaware of the hitbox problem or knows about it and uses it on purpose. Its mostly a problem with the skulk because its so small.
    This desync also occours in Source Engine. Its just Valves net code for you.

So you might find bunnyhop in NS2 wont work to the same full tactical advantage as it did in NS1. (In Theory - because NS2 = Different Net Code)

As far as I've ever understood it, you can desync hitboxes far better while staying on ground. In most cases bhop isn't a method of survival while exposed, it's a method of minimizing that exposure time. The vast majority of cele bhop skulks go down with 20-25 bullets. Ground desyncers might take 35 and are usually more difficult to track too.

It's not really the speed that kills HL netcode as much as the rapid change of direction. Bhop is actually notoriously predictable as you can't change the direction rapidly that easily.

Someone please correct me if necessary, I had gone past my highest activity at the point where ground desync got more popular.
    I agree Bacillus - I used to favour ground play way more than jumping both for that reason and because of meta-gameish reasons.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer Posts: 597 Advanced user
    Just strafe side to side with celerity infront of a marine and 9 times out of 10 you'll live. It's pretty absurd how much that messes up the hitbox.
    edited May 2010
    and here i thought i'd be actually good.
    realizing that you instictively exploited an unknown to you bug is... depressing.