Development Blog Update - Gorge reveal

Comments

• TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    The marine who kills the gorge should feel bad about killing such a cute creature and have tears all over his screen... :D

great reveal!

oh and yes to belly slide! NS2 should be a fun game and that would be a lot of fun :)
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    The bum tentacles clear the poop-hole for the aliens. :-)
    The marines just use toilet paper.

Seriously great video guys.
    I didn't like the initial drop but I loved the up close pan of the moving model.

I have to say i am disappointed in no sensory turret.
    I used love planting sensory turrets in corners where they would not be noticed.
    Over a slow period of time I could build a seriously sized cloak field on a section of the map.
    It was a huge benefit for those who stalked their prey.

So i guess i'm just saying I hope the cloak goes to the alien commander.
    who needs a name ... BTW... Alien Commander doesn't wow me.

Someone complete this sentence.

The Zerg __________ crushed the Marine Commander.

Queen?
    Matriarch?
    Overlord?
    Mastermind?
    Tyrant?

I dunno something weighty.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited August 2009
    ohh man i love it, the gorge is looking sexier than ever and its my favourite class but why did u kill him at the end :( :D
    I like the new abilities u gave him.
    man i cant wait to see what u guys have for us at PAX 09 and cant wait untill BETA starts.
    Keep up the good work UW, really amazing..
  • CloveClove Join Date: 2007-01-24 Member: 59739Members
    Love the yawn and the smacking of the lips after slime-pile puking. (Gorge NS2 T shirt? "no one appreciates my slime-piles :(" )
    Sliding sounds entertaining, maybe just on infestation?
    I'm gathering that structures will start out as little piles and then grow over and into their shape? (Sorry if this is revealed already) Sounds lovely!

-C
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1724034:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:12 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Aug 20 2009, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ohh man i love it, the gorge is looking sexier than ever and its my favourite class but why did u kill him at the end :( :D
    I like the new abilities u gave him.
    man i cant wait to see what u guys have for us at PAX 09 and cant wait untill BETA starts.
    Keep up the good work UW, really amazing..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't wait untill Alpha.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I'm concerned about the death animation. Death animations became redundant in 2002, when ragdolls first made it into a game. Does NS2 not have ragdoll death?

--Scythe--
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Once a Gorge, always a Gorge. Here's to my fellow perma-Gorges!
  • 1st_Dagger1st_Dagger Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7881Members
    Gorge surf ftw. Make it happen. Best reveal so far.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724037:date=Aug 20 2009, 10:14 PM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Aug 20 2009, 10:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724037"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't wait untill Alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

YEAH sorry thats what i ment :D
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it also obscures marine players' screens a bit<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not a fan. The slow down is a good idea, but obscured screen sounds like something that will detract from, rather than add to, gameplay.

Otherwise, it looks/sounds very interesting.
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeee! GORGIE!

I couldn't be more happy about the way the Gorge is now! It's so adorable and awesome! Looks like it'll still be my favourite lifeform :>
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724038:date=Aug 20 2009, 06:14 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Aug 20 2009, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm concerned about the death animation. Death animations became redundant in 2002, when ragdolls first made it into a game. Does NS2 not have ragdoll death?

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I noticed that too. Perhaps for the alpha there wont be ragdoll. Perhaps the animation is for fun and isn't whats gonna be in game... or perhaps it will be the underlying death animation model and physics will impact it a little.
    To be honest, ragdolls usually don't look good... its not 2003 anymore, they get boring. I'd rather take interesting and funny death animations and then they turn into ragdoll after the anim than to have instant random deaths.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1724041:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:17 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Aug 20 2009, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YEAH sorry thats what i ment :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want a count down of the release of Alpha.

(2 days, 12 hours, 23 minutes and 10 seconds) left untill Alpha release.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I'm gonna have to put in a vote against the sight obstruction for marines. I can live with the slight slow down, but stated many times, sight obstruction abilities greatly annoy more than entertain. I do however like the idea of spit being a DOTS weapon, makes sense as its kind of like acid and burns over time.

If your going to include ANY kind of sight/disabling type abilities for aliens please make them late game/higher hive abilities. Sucks to be slimed and stuck early game :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1724038:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:14 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Aug 20 2009, 11:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm concerned about the death animation. Death animations became redundant in 2002, when ragdolls first made it into a game. Does NS2 not have ragdoll death?

I want the ragdoll aswell.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724046:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:22 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Aug 20 2009, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm gonna have to put in a vote against the sight obstruction for marines. I can live with the slight slow down, but stated many times, sight obstruction abilities greatly annoy more than entertain. I do however like the idea of spit being a DOTS weapon, makes sense as its kind of like acid and burns over time.

If your going to include ANY kind of sight/disabling type abilities for aliens please make them late game/higher hive abilities. Sucks to be slimed and stuck early game :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think the dev team has something to compensate that.
    They are awesome, so no worries.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I noticed that too. Perhaps for the alpha there wont be ragdoll. Perhaps the animation is for fun and isn't whats gonna be in game... or perhaps it will be the underlying death animation model and physics will impact it a little.
    To be honest, ragdolls usually don't look good... its not 2003 anymore, they get boring. I'd rather take interesting and funny death animations and then they turn into ragdoll after the anim than to have instant random deaths.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A combination of ragdoll and death animations is best. Death animations are good to give an instant visual indicator when an alien is killed (think onos/fade deaths in NS1), although with this new physics engines they could be spiced up a bit to be a little more dynamic. Example:

1) Gorge plays the death 'rolling to side' animation, but can continue rolling for a bit depending on the velocity he was traveling at. So say a gorge was sliding down a ramp when he died, he keeps rolling and slams up against a nearby wall.
  • KiopaenKiopaen Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724032:date=Aug 20 2009, 05:11 PM:name=kingmob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kingmob @ Aug 20 2009, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724032"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The bum tentacles clear the poop-hole for the aliens. :-)
    The marines just use toilet paper.

Seriously great video guys.
    I didn't like the initial drop but I loved the up close pan of the moving model.

I have to say i am disappointed in no sensory turret.
    I used love planting sensory turrets in corners where they would not be noticed.
    Over a slow period of time I could build a seriously sized cloak field on a section of the map.
    It was a huge benefit for those who stalked their prey.

So i guess i'm just saying I hope the cloak goes to the alien commander.
    who needs a name ... BTW... Alien Commander doesn't wow me.

Someone complete this sentence.

The Zerg __________ crushed the Marine Commander.

Queen?
    Matriarch?
    Overlord?
    Mastermind?
    Tyrant?

I dunno something weighty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some that should be avoided for copyright dancing:
    Queen
    Overlord
    Hivemind
    Defiler

How about:
    Sovereign?
    Infestor?
    Manifestation?

May want to say kharaa instead of zerg... seeing as there are reasonable differences

Could always use one of those many combat names for the extended levels... there were a bunch of em.

Then again, the rest of the aliens are named after what they do or what the marines will think of them...

Sleeper?
    Progenitor?
    Orchestrator?
    Fleshcrafter?
    Seed?
    Core? (referring to the core-like hole that it fills in the hive)
    Heart?

They're probably going to play test until someone says something that sounds so right that it sticks.
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    I quiet like it. But the damage mitigation move if combined with Slide + Heal spray how are you ment to kill a gorge? Seems more defensive viably then the Onos.
  • Fluid CoreFluid Core Join Date: 2007-12-26 Member: 63260Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's lovely guys! As it's looking now I will play nothing but a Gorge, just cause it's so cute!

If you do not bring the belly slide into the game, I'm sure there will be modders out there who will make it happen =)
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    OMG! the gorge is so cute :) so much character for an alien!

obviously +1 for gorge belly slide from me :)

original thread - <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=106600&st=40&start=40" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...40&start=40</a>
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724038:date=Aug 20 2009, 06:14 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Aug 20 2009, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724038"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm concerned about the death animation. Death animations became redundant in 2002, when ragdolls first made it into a game. Does NS2 not have ragdoll death?

This.
    <!--quoteo(post=1724053:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:37 PM:name=Kiopaen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kiopaen @ Aug 20 2009, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some that should be avoided for copyright dancing:
    Queen
    Overlord
    Hivemind
    Defiler

How about:
    Sovereign?
    Infestor?
    Manifestation?

May want to say kharaa instead of zerg... seeing as there are reasonable differences

Could always use one of those many combat names for the extended levels... there were a bunch of em.

Then again, the rest of the aliens are named after what they do or what the marines will think of them...

Sleeper?
    Progenitor?
    Orchestrator?
    Fleshcrafter?
    Seed?
    Core? (referring to the core-like hole that it fills in the hive)
    Heart?

They're probably going to play test until someone says something that sounds so right that it sticks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heart sounds not that bad. If I was a marine and was looking at the Hive and knew there was someone inside the hive, "Heart" isn't that bad.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Gorge should be tough to kill, if not just because you feel bad, but also because their a very important class to the alien team. A lone marine finding a lone gorge should probably be about a 65% chance of escape for the gorge. The marine team will need to have at least SOME level of coordination to kill a single gorge.
  • gustavo00gustavo00 Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67509Members
    Question : have you solved the alien vs ladder problem?

I know lerks fly, skulks climb walls, fades blink up...
    What about gorges and oni? =)
  • jaminjamin Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63332Members
    Not as cute as before... but still pretty cute.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724060:date=Aug 20 2009, 11:45 PM:name=gustavo00)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gustavo00 @ Aug 20 2009, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724060"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Question : have you solved the alien vs ladder problem?

I know lerks fly, skulks climb walls, fades blink up...
    What about gorges and oni? =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Disability ramp? :D
    I mean in NS1 the Gorge was galopping, witch was just funny to look at.

Now he walks like front left foot forwards and front right foot backwards.
  • finch07finch07 Join Date: 2008-12-06 Member: 65676Members
    The coolest looking alien so far. I'd love to see the belly slide implemented in a useful way, especially in the level design.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    I love everything about this new Gorge, but the only problem I have with him..and it's not even technically his problem but, with the lack of importance of buildings=upgrades I personally drop the Gorges priority rate to last. Before if I saw one I would chase him down and even fire at him over other aliens to make sure he dies, but now if he ran away, I wouldn't even care, just continue on my way. It also gives aliens players less reason to actually choose the Gorge, I suppose I am just skeptical about the whole alien commander situation.

And I also understand that this is a new game, it's not NS1 but just from my standpoint as of now and my experiences this is the opinion I have formed, for all I know stressing less on killing the Gorge could be a good thing, hard to judge any of this really without playing NS2 yet.