Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal

Comments

• DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722811:date=Aug 14 2009, 04:26 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Aug 14 2009, 04:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Here -> .

:P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Might need <a href="http://athensboy.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/hubble-space-telescope-001.jpg" target="_blank">this</a> to get a view of the nanite on that though... =)
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Neosniper, learn to use the edit button >_>
  • StreifenHirnchenStreifenHirnchen Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67609Members
    I liked the old concept of the armory much more because the new one looks like some kind of unrealistc transformer fridge. This would be a nice model for the command chair
  • Tylerm1983Tylerm1983 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68374Members
    With all do respect this has nothing to do with the Armory. It looks great by the way! Why are the developers taking away Xenocide from the skulk and bite away from the lerk. I am waiting nto hear about what else the lerk can do besides spikes but was effective way in taking out marines from the vents. Your taking away some of the good attacks that we know and loved from NS1 like devour, ... xenocide, and .. bite from lerk. I'm not trying to knock on the game yet .. but so far I am displeased with the direction your taking the aliens down. Ill have to play it first before I start criticizing but so far.... its a let down everytime when I see a new alien reveal. I dont understand why you can keep the same attacks that we all know and love......
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    edited August 2009
    I have not fully understanded if the Armory, apart from delivering weapons and ammo pack also would deliver jets, heavy armor and repair. I think it's better an Armory for the weapons and ammunition and another structure, it could be the Arms Lab, to deliver suits and repair them too.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722811:date=Aug 13 2009, 10:26 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Aug 13 2009, 10:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what I'd like to see some concept art for?

Nanites.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Here -> .
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WTF. That's not gritty enough, and it doesn't fit in with my preconceptions of the game at all! I mean, seriously, <strike>a taser</strike> <strike>holograms</strike> nanites in space? This is the future, and video games must accurately represent it scientifically with facts! (as long as they're my facts not yours)

What the hell are nanites anyway? Packed with energy and utility: space-granola.

I demand UWE redo everything along the lines of the I&S forum or give me my $40.00 dollars USD back. GGBBQNS.

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:courier--><span style="font-family:courier"><!--/fonto-->The above satire not directed at NeoSniper or anyone specifically, however, if you're offended it's probably you.<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    noncomposmentis, your satire is not gritty enough, and does not in any way fit with my preconceived ideas of how your post should have read. What the hell is satire anyway? WORDS. BAD WORDS.

I demand you redo your post post-haste (just my little joke there) exactly in line with what is in my head or I shall have to ask for my money back and too right!
  • uselessuseless Join Date: 2009-02-15 Member: 66428Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722868:date=Aug 14 2009, 09:31 AM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 14 2009, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all do respect this has nothing to do with the Armory. It looks great by the way! Why are the developers taking away Xenocide from the skulk and bite away from the lerk. I am waiting nto hear about what else the lerk can do besides spikes but was effective way in taking out marines from the vents. Your taking away some of the good attacks that we know and loved from NS1 like devour, ... xenocide, and .. bite from lerk. I'm not trying to knock on the game yet .. but so far I am displeased with the direction your taking the aliens down. Ill have to play it first before I start criticizing but so far.... its a let down everytime when I see a new alien reveal. I dont understand why you can keep the same attacks that we all know and love......<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Where exactly are you getting your information about the Lerk? I haven't seen any official information about the Lerk's abilities posted yet.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1722868:date=Aug 15 2009, 01:31 AM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 15 2009, 01:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all do respect this has nothing to do with the Armory. It looks great by the way! Why are the developers taking away Xenocide from the skulk and bite away from the lerk. I am waiting nto hear about what else the lerk can do besides spikes but was effective way in taking out marines from the vents. Your taking away some of the good attacks that we know and loved from NS1 like devour, ... xenocide, and .. bite from lerk. I'm not trying to knock on the game yet .. but so far I am displeased with the direction your taking the aliens down. Ill have to play it first before I start criticizing but so far.... its a let down everytime when I see a new alien reveal. I dont understand why you can keep the same attacks that we all know and love......<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They don't have the same attacks because it is a new game. Frankly you need to understand that taking away some old attacks and putting in new ones can lead to far better gameplay. Removing one ability means replacing it with another, and who is to say that the new ability will not prove to be even more useful than the old one? Also try to contain your nostalgic view of NS1. NS1 and the alien abilites were not perfect for many people. You don't speak for all of us when you say "we all loved the old abilities". I always found Devour annoying and out of place and I thought Xenocide was just plain random. I also think Bite was quite fundamental to the Lerk, but seeing as his role may be changing, we should wait and see what replaces it. Many people had different views about NS1s alien abilities, they were not perfect and I think the developers realise that.

The Armory looks cool. Very TSA. I hope the arms have collisions though, as 6 marines humping it will just look plain stupid with the arms extended and the marines clipping through them.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    TempesT487 saved me the trouble of typing something up, so uhhhhh...

<scary voice> chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaange </scary voice>
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722868:date=Aug 14 2009, 09:31 AM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 14 2009, 09:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722868"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With all do respect this has nothing to do with the Armory. It looks great by the way! Why are the developers taking away Xenocide from the skulk and bite away from the lerk. I am waiting nto hear about what else the lerk can do besides spikes but was effective way in taking out marines from the vents. Your taking away some of the good attacks that we know and loved from NS1 like devour, ... xenocide, and .. bite from lerk. I'm not trying to knock on the game yet .. but so far I am displeased with the direction your taking the aliens down. Ill have to play it first before I start criticizing but so far.... its a let down everytime when I see a new alien reveal. I dont understand why you can keep the same attacks that we all know and love......<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Agreed. I have no hope now btw, if they just upgraded whitout cut off the good things will be great, but no, they have some kind of cruzade against their own game. I'm so pissed. Pretty much they are riding their high white horse so is a waste of time posting in this forum, <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> nobody is going to read anything. Good job trashing the game we love btw. <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> This is a fraud, I want my money back.

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[You are certainly welcome to your opinion, however while expressing it you are not allowed to attack others. Whether they are other forum members, devs, or whomever. - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    WOW, someone needs a nap.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722949:date=Aug 15 2009, 03:48 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Aug 15 2009, 03:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

Agreed. I have no hope now btw, if they just upgraded whitout cut off the good things will be great, but no, they have some kind of cruzade against their own game. I'm so pissed. Pretty much they are riding their high white horse so is a waste of time posting in this forum, <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> nobody is going to read anything. Good job trashing the game we love btw. <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. This is a fraud, I want my money back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hahahaha

Thanks for a hearty laugh
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722949:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:48 PM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Aug 14 2009, 11:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

Agreed. I have no hope now btw, if they just upgraded whitout cut off the good things will be great, but no, they have some kind of cruzade against their own game. I'm so pissed. Pretty much they are riding their high white horse so is a waste of time posting in this forum, <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> nobody is going to read anything. Good job trashing the game we love btw. <!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro-->[Edited - JazzX]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. This is a fraud, I want my money back.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm tempted to buy your copy from you.. but I doubt you'd shut up anyway.

Thank goodness for the ignore feature.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722949:date=Aug 15 2009, 06:48 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Aug 15 2009, 06:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

Go cry somewhere else mate, no one here cares. I dont think ive ever seen someone whine so much about a game they have never played before either.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722949:date=Aug 15 2009, 12:48 AM:name=C4K3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C4K3 @ Aug 15 2009, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

Ahahaha thank you for starting my saturday off with such a good laugh! I particually like how you somehow think you've been decieved into pre-ordering the game. Although I tend to stick to a "don't feed the trolls" policy generally, you deserve much troll cake for being such an amazing asshat. So what if they've changed a few abilities or outright removed them. Lerk didn't always have bite anyway unless my memory fails me (or was it added, removed then re-added?). The metagame will be decidly different due to so many differing factors that no-one can really comment on the game till we get our hands on it.
  • Tylerm1983Tylerm1983 Join Date: 2009-08-07 Member: 68374Members
    To useless: Look at twitter updates:Discussions about lerk bite vs. spikes and his view model. I think he's going to end up with short-range spikes and no bite. #fb
    10:55 AM Aug 12th from TweetDeck

To the guy that said replied to me: "Your not speaking for all us" about taking away the abilities we all know and love. Alot of the comments that I read so far are disapointed with the direction they are heading with the alien abilities. I can understand why they are doing it but just disapointed and who knows I may end up liking it. To me they just seem bland and boring. Why not give each alien an abiliity that makes them unique and exciting. For the Skulk, I just see bite, leap/bite is that it!?! Anyother abilities? Thats why im dispointed so far unless they hiding something from us! I'm pretty alot of other people are disapointed as well...

So far this looks like a great game and the creators are doing a great job. I havent played the game yet so I'm not talking trash on the game rather just expressing how I feel so far about it. I am just dispointed with the alien abilities so far. Unless they are not revealing all of its abilities to us and surprise us instead. When I read the Onos and the Skulk abilities.. ... I say to myself ..."Is that it..Is that all they can do"? I' m still going to buy the game no matter what. Skulk and Onos LOOK GREAT but.... abilities !?!?!
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1722964:date=Aug 15 2009, 09:05 PM:name=Tylerm1983)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tylerm1983 @ Aug 15 2009, 09:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722964"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To useless: Look at twitter updates:Discussions about lerk bite vs. spikes and his view model. I think he's going to end up with short-range spikes and no bite. #fb
    10:55 AM Aug 12th from TweetDeck

To the guy that said replied to me: "Your not speaking for all us" about taking away the abilities we all know and love. Alot of the comments that I read so far are disapointed with the direction they are heading with the alien abilities. I can understand why they are doing it but just disapointed and who knows I may end up liking it. To me they just seem bland and boring. Why not give each alien an abiliity that makes them unique and exciting. For the Skulk, I just see bite, leap/bite is that it!?! Anyother abilities? Thats why im dispointed so far unless they hiding something from us! I'm pretty alot of other people are disapointed as well...

So far this looks like a great game and the creators are doing a great job. I havent played the game yet so I'm not talking trash on the game rather just expressing how I feel so far about it. I am just dispointed with the alien abilities so far. Unless they are not revealing all of its abilities to us and surprise us instead. When I read the Onos and the Skulk abilities.. ... I say to myself ..."Is that it..Is that all they can do"? I' m still going to buy the game no matter what. Skulk and Onos LOOK GREAT but.... abilities !?!?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm ok. It's just your previous post was talking about how you thought the removal of the abilities from NS1 was a bad choice and that you would prefer that they kept the old ones. That's what I was responding to. Abilities are still being sorted it seems. The Onos already has Gore, Bone Shield and Stomp which all have quite interesting traits and effects (to me atleast). I'm sure the Skulk will have exciting abilites aswell. Same with the Lerk, Fade and Gorge.
  • DeKayDeKay Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67752Members
    edited August 2009
    To be honest: I like the Design and the functionality of the armory - but i dont like the idea of allowing more marines to use it than it is logical.
    If there is a simulated functionality with opening up and stuff for 4 marines, then it should only be used by 4 marines.

It makes no sense to have a good design and to simulate everything very good if in the end it does not matter at all. All that nice stuff is useless if you let more marines than 4 use it. The Gamedesign loses it's credibility.

You should decide: Either you use these cool animations with opening and all that and let only 4 Marines use it - or you get rid off the 4-players-only-model and do a redesign to let more people use ist.

It just does not fit together. Design and function should work together.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2009
    I certainly hope the nice bright blue hologram on top of the armory is ONLY visible to marines (via their helmet-hud).

If not then aliens will use it as a beacon to attack nearly-incapacitated players that are trying to buy a gun or heal their armor... going to be the worst noob-slaughtering place to stand when a fade is in base.

EDIT: Not just in base, but also when their dropped in a hallway... the enemy would know exactly where to focus their acid rockets.

Why not establish some form of shield around it to protect the marines using it... something the aliens can eventually destroy (in 4 minutes)... Or maybe it can have an upgradable anti-alien-zapp-auto-taze feature to protect the marines using it.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Yeah, I'm not sure why it wasn't designed with more of a 'theres gonna be a lot of marines humping this at the same time' theme
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'm not sure why it wasn't designed with more of a 'theres gonna be a lot of marines humping this at the same time' theme<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What is it supposed to be designed like, a thai 'escort' ?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    A basket full of ammo and guns?
  • VyshusVyshus Join Date: 2005-06-13 Member: 53826Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722994:date=Aug 15 2009, 12:38 PM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Aug 15 2009, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is it supposed to be designed like, a thai 'escort' ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    BA DUM TSSSS

I like it personally. I actually kind of support the idea of only 4 at a time getting to use it. It'll make it more of a strategy to have 2 armories instead of 1 going so marines heal and repair much faster.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    PORTA POTTY!!!

for 4 marines at a time O_o
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    It's still unlimited, it's just (a really cool) aesthetic for 4 'rines.
    I must have missed it earlier, but were the fold out arms going to have a hitbox?

I want a laser pistol, pew pew.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    The "4" stations only thing doesn't look right if any number of people can use it...

A better design would convey that an infinite number of marines can use it at once... something more or less spherical in shape... even pyramidal. Also no monitors that fold out with bright light... instead when the marine looks at the UNLIT plain shape on the floor, that their helmet hud starts flooding with menus for healing and getting ammo... then it's just a matter of standing close enough to the station to be in reach of this resupply.

I'd say their should even be auto-healing auto-refilling of ammo... much like the repair pad in the empires mod. I mean why do i need to be sitting their holding down E for... i thought this was NS2... home of the welder-builder bots :P ... i just want to be near it to experience the healing... This also stops fades from targeting armories to kill weak players with their guard down... now you can shoot and still get the basic reviving services!!!
    <!--quoteo(post=1722994:date=Aug 16 2009, 03:38 AM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Aug 16 2009, 03:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722994"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What is it supposed to be designed like, a thai 'escort' ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    zzzing
  • PecPec Join Date: 2008-08-29 Member: 64926Members
    Wouldn't boosting marines on top of the armory prior to skulks having leap be a little overpowered if used offensively, like quickly placing an armory at a double resource node location.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1722984:date=Aug 15 2009, 03:41 PM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Aug 15 2009, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, I'm not sure why it wasn't designed with more of a 'theres gonna be a lot of marines humping this at the same time' theme<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, as far as I know, the current plan for NS2 will mean that there isn't the same rush to the armory by the entire team, at the very start of the game. Most likely you will start with the basic machine gun, WITH full ammo when you first spawn in, and you won't be able to afford to buy a different weapon yet as the resources will be limited. As the game progresses, it is fairly unlikely that you will have more then 4 marines at one time buying stuff from the armory, as they will be re-spawning in at different times, running back to buy at different times, etc.

Disclaimer: This is the plan we discussed at the time of the armory design, and it may have changed since or I may have some of the details wrong.

--Cory