Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    i hope you guys havent payed for this already, it needs lots of work.

a) looks like the tardis
    b) LOOKS like it can only support 4 players, so you can bet on there being line-ups
    c) holographic gun on top make me think of a futuristic vending machine, from the lamest movie ever. if you're going that route, might as well put the guns and ammo on coils behind plexiglass and have the thing randomly eat your cash.
  • BigDBigD [OldF] Join Date: 2002-10-25 Member: 1596Members
    Seriously, the first custom model I want to see when the game comes out is the hologram of the gun on top replaced... with a "FREE HUGS" sign!

DOOOO EEEEEET.
  • SqueeboSqueebo Join Date: 2008-02-04 Member: 63580Members
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    The armory is pretty cool looking, keep up the good work guys!
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I loved the animation and the concept of guns being printed. Great work.
  • NNEEEENNEEEE Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67505Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    new armory reminds me of Wall-E :)
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    Slick animation and model, really interested to hear about the res system is going to work for the marines to purchase their own equipment
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722446:date=Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM:name=Archaic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archaic @ Aug 12 2009, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hope you guys havent payed for this already, it needs lots of work.

a) looks like the tardis
    b) LOOKS like it can only support 4 players, so you can bet on there being line-ups
    c) holographic gun on top make me think of a futuristic vending machine, from the lamest movie ever. if you're going that route, might as well put the guns and ammo on coils behind plexiglass and have the thing randomly eat your cash.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is just one thing, it should not ruin your gameplay.
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722481:date=Aug 12 2009, 11:03 PM:name=ShinobiRAGE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShinobiRAGE @ Aug 12 2009, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is just one thing, it should not ruin your gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Of course it do. There are several crappy changes. The whole thing stinks. GG NS.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722446:date=Aug 12 2009, 10:50 PM:name=Archaic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archaic @ Aug 12 2009, 10:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722446"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->b) LOOKS like it can only support 4 players, so you can bet on there being line-ups<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should probably read all the posts before replying - or at least the ones from the developers. Max has already stated that there is no maximum number of people who can hump the armory simultaneously (as in NS1) - the four stations are just for visual effect.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    edited August 2009
    I think a immersive way of dealing with the four-door issue is in this manner:

1. Marines near an armory get a prompt to open buy the purchasing interface.
    2. Once purchase is decided, the marine goes to the armory to collect the goods. If you didn't buy anything, you don't dock with the armory.
    3. You can also dock if you need ammo or medical attention, both are rather fast to complete but leave your vulnerable for a short time.
    4. An armory can only handle four marines at a time.

EDIT: It does complicate things a little.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722487:date=Aug 13 2009, 03:27 PM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 13 2009, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722487"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EDIT: It does complicate things a little.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just a little :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1722411:date=Aug 13 2009, 01:25 AM:name=Sirot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sirot @ Aug 13 2009, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722411"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will the small screens on the armory be animated or static? That always bugged me before.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup. We actually have these screens animated already, they just need to be hooked up to the model in game.

As far as the holographic projection at the top of the armory, I agree that it is not perfectly realistic, in a practical real world military sense. However, it does serve important gameplay functions, both as a means to help draw the attention of new players, as well as let the aliens know what level of technology upgrade the marines are at (the idea is that the holographic icon would switch out to show a different weapon or equipment model, depending on what has been researched, or possibly alternate between all the available options). And the holographic display fits in with some of the other marine structures and tech, as well.

--Cory
  • bl4ckd0gbl4ckd0g Join Date: 2009-02-20 Member: 66495Members
    edited August 2009
    I like it very much as design, but to me looks like one of those things that are good on paper but then backfire. Doesn't look enough immediate to aswer the needs of an intense battlefield and it seems too bulky, limiting the areas where a commander can place it without capping players mobility.

PS: already tried to put it adjacent to a wall, wall on the other side of the wall to ensure the door facing the wall doesn't open clipping through it? Just comes to my mind as a possible bug.

<!--quoteo(post=1722342:date=Aug 12 2009, 10:12 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 12 2009, 10:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722342"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal here<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    put a link to the blogpost when opening these threads ;)
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
    Lookin' good.

You know what I'd like to see some concept art for?

Nanites.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1722498:date=Aug 12 2009, 10:05 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Aug 12 2009, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup. We actually have these screens animated already, they just need to be hooked up to the model in game.

As far as the holographic projection at the top of the armory, I agree that it is not perfectly realistic, in a practical real world military sense. However, it does serve important gameplay functions, both as a means to help draw the attention of new players, as well as let the aliens know what level of technology upgrade the marines are at (the idea is that the holographic icon would switch out to show a different weapon or equipment model, depending on what has been researched, or possibly alternate between all the available options). And the holographic display fits in with some of the other marine structures and tech, as well.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like the holographic representation above the armory. It reminds me of those Sci-Fi movies and T.V. shows where black market items are displayed and rotated for purchase.

I.E. Starhunter did this a few times I believe. (People in this forum should check it out, I liked it. Only 2 seasons though.)

Also I would like to add, I think you should limit it to 4 Marines for purchasing equipment.

-----> HOWEVER <-----

Make armories only cost 5 RESOURCES to build.

If you do not decide to make this limitation, then armories probably should cost 10/15 resources.

*****STRATEGY*****
    Multiple armories means you dedicate 1 to upgrades, while the rest support extra purchasing speed. If the Kharaa manage to take out the "upgrade armory", then the Marines will not be completely screwed because they will have their 2nd/3rd armory for ammunition. But this does mean they would have to rebuild their tech quickly.

I assume building multiple Infantry Portals will be more beneficial in NS2, and it only makes sense if that carries over to the armory.
    *****STRATEGY*****

Think of this as a reverse "Hive Lock" but for the Kharaa. The Kharaa's source of power and map dominance is having multiple hives, since they give the Aliens new abilities. The Marines do not have as much of an equivalent. Infantry Portals are for spawning only, but the true power for the Marines' is their weapons and equipment from the new armory. There needs to be, at the very least, a SOFT counter to this.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    i like it, i wana buy my own weapons and items =)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Do the hitbox or collisions change when the armory opens up, or is it just a cosmetic animation?

I think the gun on top is a bit silly indeed. As mentioned already militaristic equipment is functional, not informative.
  • PaladinDudePaladinDude Join Date: 2006-12-04 Member: 58881Members, Constellation
    Superb! Love the design and animations, perfect!

If this is what the basic Armoury looks like I can't wait to see what the Advanced Arms lab looks like!

Keep up the great work guys!
  • NamronNamron Join Date: 2002-11-29 Member: 10220Members
    Haven't read all posts, sorry. Why not make hologram toggable with cl_autohelp? I agree that a hologram looks silly. Armies aren't exactly using neon signs on todays battlefields for new recruits...
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    love it, couldnt see it any other way.
    cant wait to see all of this run in game. :D
  • ChicoDesMersChicoDesMers Join Date: 2005-01-15 Member: 35737Members
    i want mine , srsly xD

Waitin for the advanced arms lab ! and the obs !!!!!
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Gimme a hug armory!

(+1 for that selecting what you want to buy before you go to the armoury and just using it to get what you want. Whilst from an immersion point of view I'd rather have to be at the terminal - "feels like shopping!" - it's a multi player game and a couple of months in all feeling of actually being a marine will be gone and then it'll just be what's most convenient++)
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    It's... it's.... a 48U server rack. That dispenses guns.

I'm totally fine with gameplay improving changes over 'military realism', because far, far too many games fall into the trap of sucking out fun for realism. Although, that hologram is pretty garish. I'd also query the impact of collisions with those extending spokes. I'm just picturing Onos (Oni? Here we go again!) stuck against them.

Keep up the good work guys. :)
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2009
    While the movie looks cool (love the animations) i think the whole thing will look odd when a couple of marines hump it.

The reason is simple: The design makes it look like only 4 people can use it, but we all now that ingame there will be often more than 4 people using it at once. Especially considering that the armory will end up beeing build in a corner/next to a wall so 1-2 "slots" will be blocked on a wall.

So what happens when more people use it than it has slots? Will the "arms" clip trough the marines? That would look really cheap...
    Like i said: The animations, idea and movie looks neat and cool but somehow i think it might end up looking pretty messed up once in the game when the arms of the armory clip trough marines.

Maybe just change the arms to beeing holographical? That way it wouldn't look that strange if they clip trough a marine compared to a piece of solid metal clipping trough a marine.

But with the current design it also looks like it could eat aliens that's kinda cool, imagine a skulk attacking it and suddenly the skulk gets grabbed by it and eaten :D
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Looks perfect for blocking doorway entrances into rooms :D
  • CheesyPetezaCheesyPeteza Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9784Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    I don't get why everyone is hating the hologram weapon on top. I think it looks fine and fits in with the theme.

There could be a few tweaks to the armory animation to improve how it actually interacts with the soldiers so it makes sense when at an angle.

Could it extend a single arm robot type thing to any marine using it with a bit of a welding sound and sparks? Seems a shame to lose that lovely animation though.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    Please impliment it with autohelp or something. It just looks so retarded having this gun beacon. You guys have come up with some pretty radical ideas, I feel that the holgram is a pretty cheap way of getting out of it. There must be something different... surely...anything!
  • Nima_Nima_ Join Date: 2007-08-30 Member: 62083Members
    Looks great, but I'd prefer the weapon icon be part of the HUD, rather than on the building itself.

Looking forward to seeing all the art that has gone into this game in action, aka please release a game play footage video soon :D
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow