Development Blog Update - Armory Reveal

Comments

• Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    This reminds me of how the Shops in Dead Space work.
    Purty.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722374:date=Aug 13 2009, 10:21 AM:name=perfectheat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (perfectheat @ Aug 13 2009, 10:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722374"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks great.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIrGgo1oo9c&feature=related" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIrGgo1oo9c...feature=related</a>
    Even has the Armory and some other models that looks like the real deal.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That's legit yes, he removed the original due to typo's and hasn't re-uploaded it as yet due to request. That upload is done by another user who downed a copy of it.
  • NS-SkorpioNNS-SkorpioN Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58101Members
    Thx guys again!

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102044&hl=Dynamic+armory" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....=Dynamic+armory</a>
  • NazulNazul Join Date: 2002-11-17 Member: 9052Members
    you guys are on a steamroll. me like it!

I think it's ... something different :) we'll see if it works. like it though.. this can also be a neat feature for you guys because you can update the game when you want( when logging in // ) and you could change the type of weapons available from day to day :) or just add in a grapler-gun when a big updates comes out after 1 year.

nicce!
  • FraxinusFraxinus Join Date: 2008-03-02 Member: 63783Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's an important structure, so we also wanted to insure that it's easily noticeable by first time players. Hence it's increased size, and the addition of a rotating holographic gun projecting from the top.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think I've heard the phasegate referred to as "the shiny f'ing circle on the ground" more times than its technical name. Good call.
  • Winter - EFGWinter - EFG Join Date: 2008-10-19 Member: 65240Members
    edited August 2009
    Like the look of it, holograms would be great for new players. Maybe an on/off switch could be considered, if multiple buildings have holograms a selections would be nice so players could enable holograms for buildings they don't easily recognize. Also I have to agree on the fact that the arms don't look too well when sliding apart, rigid look would be better for a precisely programmed machine, imo.

<!--quoteo(post=1722353:date=Aug 13 2009, 01:43 AM:name=Bulletcatcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bulletcatcher @ Aug 13 2009, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722353"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That looks sweet! I really love how you designed this to fit in with the rest of the games features and levels. I also like how you changed it from the original armory to this more realistic design! Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what's next! The only problem I can see with this is that someone would be running around in circles around that making the arms fold out and in constantly... It may also become good place to hide for skulks on certain maps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the arms only unfold as a marine accesses the 'buy menu' I don't think anyone would be able to unfold the arms to an annoying extent.
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    Looks great. I'm also for the idea of pre-picked loadouts, if it fits with the resource model. As much as I hate to say it, I don't want less skilled players sinking our resources just to go die for the 11th time.
  • SiNzSiNz Join Date: 2009-08-12 Member: 68445Members
    edited August 2009
    Hi everyone, sorry but i am a noob to forums..... Always confusing that's why I rarely join any.... I'm an old school NS1 player, loved ns and still do... Personally it's a great game(i know its a mod) :P I've been playing it on and off for years due to Australian servers sucking saggy balls :P so i just join the US servers and try playing with the 200+ ping ._. in which it sucks sometimes but still great to play NS :) P.S Bought NS2 SE like the first few days of it coming out :> can't wait till we all start playing it :)

Ok now, let me start off by saying that everything that you guys(creators of NS1/NS2) have done, completed and are going to accomplish with the NS series, I congratulate you. I hope all goes well for you guys, it is hard work but in the end you will prevail and NS2 will be the best game ever to come out. The work that you guys have been doing is excellent if not even more in which words cannot descirbe. I'm very happy with the progress and ideas that you, the cummunity have come up with to make this game the best. Everything is looking great, i love everything that is going to be put into NS2 :).

Now.... first time post about NS2.....

Armory and everything that i've seen and read is great, but here is my 2 cents worth. Instead of having those 4 areas for Marines(i know everyone can use the Armory at once), how about you make a base/platform in which heaps of marines can stand around it on the circle/square platform that comes out by half a metre? So we all can get the feel of purchasing, instead of people waiting in line just to see the "decorative" side of the Armory? I know i would be waiting :P.... This would tackle the issues of everyone getting the feel of the Armory, like someone said earlier, who ever spawned from the closest IP would be getting first priority of seeing the Armory in action(if all 4 sides are taken). So by having the circle/square platform/base that goes around the Armory, it would just make it better :P It's just an idea that i thought about :)

Thanks and keep up the excellent work :) looking forward to the Alpha and my Black Marine Armor :D *Jizzed In My Pants* :O

SiNz

WOOPS!!! I forgot to add aswell, if it's not too much trouble to do, how about having like a scanner/laser sort of thing that goes around the Armory through your body(other Marines body's aswell when they are on the platform/base) in a circle/square instead of retractable arms in which it will give you ammo and repair your armour automatically?? Plus it will have a futuristic sort of feel to it :)??
  • MojokdirectorMojokdirector Join Date: 2008-02-21 Member: 63705Members
    Can't wait to try it out!
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I like it, but I wish the little arms weren't so blocky. In the concept, the arms became thinner at their ends which made it feel more...welcoming.
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1722377:date=Aug 13 2009, 10:31 AM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Aug 13 2009, 10:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Looks totally awesome.

For advanced armory, they could just change the hologram at the top, by adding an icon or changing its color.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Someone mentioned have the hologram cycle for what's available from it, that'd be a good reference.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited August 2009
    I love the new size! Will really make for interesting base building strategies. And it will have a real huge presence in the room.

It's good that any number of people can use it at the same time. Sad, thought that the really cool animations are essentially useless and might actually create confusion.

And the arms... either they have hit boxes and become hugely annoying or they don't and will look very weird with Marines clipping them constantly.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=:name=Cory in Blog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cory in Blog)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's an important structure, so we also wanted to insure that it's easily noticeable by first time players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Haha! I still remember my first time playing NS. I was trying to get ammo from the Arms Lab because it had a picture of a gun on it. When I joined Marines where getting pwned at the Bridge in Nancy (MS).

Me - "How do I get more ammo?"
    NSPlayer - "Press use on the Armory!" *dies to skulk*
    Me - "Which one is the Armory?!?!" *dies to same skulk*
    Skulk - *chuckle*

good times, good times.

Also pretty sure you wanted to say "ensure" and not "insure"

[EDITED for typing mistakes]
    The arms lab looked more like an armory than the armory.
  • C4K3C4K3 Join Date: 2008-01-26 Member: 63502Banned, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722384:date=Aug 12 2009, 06:47 PM:name=Jackson3113)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jackson3113 @ Aug 12 2009, 06:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don't run with the holographic-gun-on-top idea, it looks gimmicky and childish enough in the concept, i can only see it subtracting from the lovely NS look by being there. If players cant figure out what the armory is just by seeing the thing and how players interact with it then it hasn't been designed right and slapping a huge glowing icon on top is not the solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

If the goal is to give a visual clue to newplayers a painted / scratched drawing shape of a gun in a metalic plate can do the deal. The holographic weapon seems lame / weird.

Nice job with the art thingy btw, just remember we want to play a decent game, full of action and adrenaline like NS1, so a lot of ambience and ubercool graphics is not an important part of it; in the left hand, a smart gameplay design is everything. What if you just get ride of the complexity of the buying weapons system and let the functionality as NS1? Think about it, worked very well for years, the only BIG problem in NS1 is the newppl humping the armory nonstop while the whole map is capped / GG, now with this damn Dead Space store, mmhhhhhggg it will take forever... It smells like fail in gameplay even with the amazing eye candy...
  • JzidEJzidE Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63185Members, Constellation
    Awesome design, great animations! Love it! Can't wait! ;)
    edited August 2009
    Will the small screens on the armory be animated or static? That always bugged me before.

EDIT: I would personally like an information ticker hovering above the armory instead of the actual guns. It would list the current equipment that could be purchased or signify when the armory was been upgraded, if that is still in.
  • ThuroThuro Join Date: 2007-05-30 Member: 61058Members
    I can easily see the "deployment" working when the marine 'uses' the armory and the buy menu appears. Therefore, the marine wouldn't actually see, or be bothered by the animation. He would only see the animation as another marine 'uses' the armory. The deployment would happen in whichever 4 sides the marine is closest to, so in fact, three marines could all access the same side and only that side would deploy. I think it's plausible and not overly obnoxious to do that. In that case it all comes down to how the buy menu is implemented. I'm imagining a full screen menu, sort of CS or BF2 style where the marine can see the weapon choices. I'm not sure about the healing and armor fixing aspect, perhaps it just happens automatically as you are in the menu? Might be easier just to do that by standing 'near' the armory as I've seen some NS1 mods do and make it unrelated to the buy menu. This would kinda conflict with the whole scanning operation I guess, but maybe as the devs said, the animation would happen as you get close to the armory.
    <deep breath>
    Given a slow 'heal' process, the deploy animation we've seen here seems reasonable, if say... it took about 10 seconds to heal a marine close to death? And if you just need 10 hp, then you'd probably ignore the animation and not care about it anyways (except for the 'ooo shiny' factor). I'm sure the animation wont make you wait for the healing effect or the buy menu to appear, or at least imo it shouldn't because as is, it's too slow.

I'm a little skeptical of the suddenly huge size of the armory. The previous tactic of putting it in a corner, so marines can watch the door while getting ammo is pretty much out the door now that the armory is too tall to see over. I like the idea of a big armory, but perhaps shorten it a little so we can still over the top? This would also enhance the hologram of the gun (keep in mind, if we cant see over top of the armory, a glowy gun on the top will mean we have to look UP to see the hologram.) and keep it in immediate sight of the newbies who need that visual cue.

Anyhow, love the design, it looks sweet. I wonder if it's more form than function, but I think you'll hammer that out quickly enough.

P.S. Sorry to see that someone released the Mojok video before it was supposed to come out, but HOLY @#$%! that looks Effing SWEEEEEET!
    (pps, sound of the tram is too loud to hear the marines talking at the beginning and some of the commander's lines aren't very convincingly said)
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    OMG it looks so F***ing good and I love the animation.
  • glimmermanglimmerman Join Date: 2004-04-29 Member: 28300Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1722384:date=Aug 13 2009, 08:47 AM:name=Jackson3113)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jackson3113 @ Aug 13 2009, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don't run with the holographic-gun-on-top idea, it looks gimmicky and childish enough in the concept, i can only see it subtracting from the lovely NS look by being there. If players cant figure out what the armory is just by seeing the thing and how players interact with it then it hasn't been designed right and slapping a huge glowing icon on top is not the solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love the overall look but definately agree with this. The hologram idea is a cheap way of identifying the structure. Given it's size, I doubt people will have a problem finding it. It looks stupid having this lame gun beacon on top of it.

Please remove!
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    With these new bigger structures I think it would be a cool 'ability' if the commander could overcharge them, electrifrying surrounding enemies but disabiling the building for a period of time and doing slight damage this would of course have a res cost.

It would look cool to see all the arms come out at once and electricity to arc from them!
  • TheNinthPlayerTheNinthPlayer Join Date: 2002-05-20 Member: 637Members, Constellation
    The new armory looks great, I like the hologram touch. I hope you guys have got something cool like that cooked up for the phase gate too!
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    edited August 2009
    I like it, maybe why it has a deploy time now is because maybe you just need to stand in it instead of using the "use" key.

Edit: I didn't read the next few post, still like it anyways.
    I want to see a how a complete marine base looks. I wonder if they will look like they belong together.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1722367:date=Aug 12 2009, 07:06 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 12 2009, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An unlimited number of players can use the armory at the same time and you can use it from any angle; the "stations" are just decorative.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK, this is good news. I was concerned that there would only be 4 slots, therefore opening up a new window for griefing by stalling in all the armory slots.
    The only downside is that... why bother making the big opening spot for marines to stand? Sure, the NS1 armory only had the four panels, but they were static and it wasn't that immersive, so you could "forgive" 7 marines all hitting the use key and everything worked fine. With this added docking bay you get this neat sense of immersion, but by making obvious "correct" places to stand down to the foot marks, then letting the 7 marines use from any angle just kind of breaks the illusion.
    The Commander Chair is a great comparison - there's an obvious chair that only one guy can sit in. You don't see the commander standing outside the CC holding down his use key. That would break the illusion and defeat the purpose of it being a chair. It could very well just be a console or a panel on the wall. By making little bays that the marines obviously SHOULD be standing in to the point that it literally opens its arms for you, then saying "nevermind, stand wherever you want" it seems like the design contradicts itself.
    I think the armory should be slightly less visually demanding of attention if it's something the marines will run quick errands at and move on. Make it obvious that it is an armory, and that it somehow fulfills its function. Maybe instead of a docking bay, use empy gun racks at each "interface" on the machine. When a gun is purchased, the marine can see the gun get beamed onto the waiting holder and go on their business.

<!--quoteo(post=1722384:date=Aug 12 2009, 07:47 PM:name=Jackson3113)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jackson3113 @ Aug 12 2009, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1722384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don't run with the holographic-gun-on-top idea, it looks gimmicky and childish enough in the concept, i can only see it subtracting from the lovely NS look by being there. If players cant figure out what the armory is just by seeing the thing and how players interact with it then it hasn't been designed right and slapping a huge glowing icon on top is not the solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is also a good point. Remember Valve's experience with the TF2 spy disguises. For a while they couldn't figure out how to display a spy's disguise to his teammates. At first they tried using icons over his head, but it didn't fit the visual theme, and the multiple icons confused new players. They then settled on the spy appearing to wear a paper mask with the class's portrait when his teammates see him.
    While there wouldn't be multiple conflicting icons, and the gun hologram does indeed yell "get guns here," try to make it fit the visual theme. We don't need floating holographic ads for toothpaste along with our LMGs, and I don't think it's that kind of world.
    Going off the gun rack/holster idea, perhaps the armory could feature holographic guns in their holsters at each interface, then the gun can visually take a solid form and fill in the hologram when purchased.
  • Winter - EFGWinter - EFG Join Date: 2008-10-19 Member: 65240Members
    I think a blue see through hologram like in the art would suit the theme perfectly. Even if you see it as an icon it could be explained by being a hologram in this game, when comparing it to a spy icon in TF2 this would be integrated into a building instead of just floating above a player for no apparent reason.
  • wankalotwankalot Join Date: 2005-02-05 Member: 39872Members
    Looks good, keep it up! My faith that Ill get to play a alpha/beta version by 'fall' (Autumn over here, though it will actually be our Spring, when NS2 (hopefully) is realeased) is increasing daily.

Not really a suggestion, more a curiousity, but i wonder what the marine structures will look like when they are destroyed. I assume they wont just vanish in a puff of smoke like they did NS1. I await the answer with great anticipation!
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    edited August 2009
    Okay okay... We have design and function, both are important, one adds immersion the other makes things fun.

The problem with the armoury is the design goes against its function, which is a shame because the design is fantastic. Toying with the function for the design can make the game less fun, but design without out function reduces immersion. What if when you hit the use key on the armoury it brings up the user interface, if you select health/armour/ammo you receive said health (maybe a trekkie style flash runs along the body or in the holster of the gun). If instead you choose a weapon (something I assume will be done less often) the side nearest to you opens up dispensing said gun into your hands (cool printing effect) allowing you to interact with the machine frequently enough for the design to be justified, whilst at the sametime removing nothing from function.

A cool little voice command of please step up to the dispensing pad would be nice...

In relation to building destruction maybe in marine territory the nanogrid can consume the carcass of destroyed building whilst rooms taken by aliens the infestation slowly eats away at them. I want to see alien structures go pop and spray across the walls....
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    I want to hug the Armoury :D
  • BreadManBreadMan Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10854Members, Retired Developer
    +1 dislike of the hologram, just make it a HUD icon that pops in when you're near base
  • DooGieDooGie Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34531Members, Constellation
    You're a ###### beast Cory. 5*