Question about a bug, want to report an issue or what's being worked on? Ask away!

IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
edited April 2015 in NS2 General Discussion
UPDATE:
Please follow our progress in real time by visiting our Trello page: https://trello.com/b/91ApENY6/ns2-cdt-development-tracker
If you still have a question about what's being worked on in that list, or off it, or just to report a bug - feel free to comment.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello everyone,

For those that remember alpha and beta days of NS2 there was this nifty little feature on this website that was called "Pivotal Tracker" that allowed you to view what bugs and features were being worked on at the time by the developers. I don't know about you, but I checked this thing daily before i became a PT.. in quite an obsessive manner, actually.. always curious about future performance updates and bug fixes.
Sadly, the link is now dead, Jim. http://unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress
This is for a multitude of reasons, but basically it boiled down to being too much work involved with overhauling the internal systems to not include content that the devs wished to keep a secret/surprise.

This is where I come in. I lead the North American Playtests for NS2 so I have all that juicy info at my finger tips, at all times. (and yes, i still obsess over it :P )
So while there is plenty of times I cannot show or tell you things without violating my signed NDA, I have always tried to keep an open door policy in regards to contacting me about such things through steam or PMs.
But I think due to the volume of people who have taken me up on that offer, as well as my offer not being very accessible, and due to this thread, its time for a replacement to Pivotal Tracker!

Here is a thread where you can ask about any bug - whether its reported, what it's priority is, and whether its being worked on currently by a developer.

The only things i ask of you are:
  • Do not post any exploits. Send those in a private message to me please.
  • Be patient with me responding, as its just me volunteering my time
  • Please be civil and friendly with your inquiry

So go ahead, ask away!

*UPDATE* : Here's a google doc of the items that have been asked about already. @ulmont will be maintaining it.. so if someone else wants to, feel free to PM him or myself.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    Ok lets start:

First is this bug reported at vanilla? Logging out of the CC causes Player sometimes to stay in invisible comm ui and don't let him turn around with mouse.

A little bug i would love to be gone is that bots can move while they are evolving.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @GhoulofGSG9
    The first bug i've only seen when using cheats? (which should never be used to reproduce bugs as it produces odd results)
    It is not reported.
    The second one I have not heard of, and is not reported either.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    The first bug happened to some players at my server some time ago, but i also was never able to reproduce it, so i just wannted to ask.

About the secound happens to me everytime i play with bots kinda fun to be attacked by an egg :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ok i'll report the 2nd one, its easy to reproduce.
    If you run into repro steps for the first let me know.
    Thanks!
    edited September 2013
    Atm i don't try to reproduce it, mostly run every time into that networkmessage_server.lua error ;)
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Any info on the gun jamming bug? After you empty a clip it doesn't reload, you usually have to switch weapons back and forth to get it to. I don't know how to repro it, but its been around awhile too.
    Just the same info i left in that new "why arent the bugs fixed" thread.. we really just need reliable repro steps.
    For instance, i've had the rifle jam on me many times with rounds still left in the magazine, so i know its not solely related to emptying the clip.
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Question: For like 15 builds i start autofire when leaving the commchair or hive. I could live with this bug till now, but since we got friendlyfire in the NSL this bug gets annyoing (commandstation under attack) ^^.

Thanks for this thread!
    @aioros
    Yes.. it was fixed.. but now returns!
    Currently not in any priority. Will return it to medium priority given the NSL usage.
    And YW.. should've done this a long time ago. :)
    p.s. if someone wants to collect all this stuff into a readable / reference-able list somewhere (google docs?) i will link it in the OP. Just don't want to have a mile long first post, is all.
  • MalGanis2MalGanis2 Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68174Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    p.s. if someone wants to collect all this stuff into a readable / reference-able list somewhere (google docs?) i will link it in the OP. Just don't want to have a mile long first post, is all.

I was bored and did (copied from a template) this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgG4g7u2vBo8dGFDNXJKWnZJeUJjR0tMVUtySHhheVE&usp=sharing

I don't plan to update it much so if someone wants to keep the work just PM me your Gmail account and I'll give you permissions to edit the doc.

@malganis2 You sir.. are awesome.
    TY
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Never ending "base almost dead" music >_<

I thought this bug was gone long ago, turns out I had my music setting set to 0 after this annoying thing happens. Turned music back on like a week ago, had this thing 3 time already.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    Not being able to cyst at all when round goes live. Even if you login / logout. Even if another person gets in the hive.

Alt tabbing in fullscreen mode and tabbing back in and having sound effects loop in spectator. I notice the building and welding noise in particular.

Hearing bile bombs when phasing through gates

Nano not activating on anything but still charging 5 tres and adding cooldown

Pressing the evolution button quickly after spawn and not having any traits visible

Sometimes evolving a trait doing nothing

Evolution teleport being a dice roll and sometimes teleporting into death triggers in maps

• shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like to know whats the situation with the mouse input bug right now.

Was the input system changed in Reinforced so that it is now possible to use raw input without the game performance dropping due to it?
  • NittaiNittai Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186558Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    When echoing a shift away it can still leave a permanent path block for drifters.

It is easy to reproduce in atrium:
    1. Place the shift on the bridge to the rt
    2. Create the drifter by the rt
    3. Echo the shift away and try and move the drifter to the hive.

result: drifter stuck by the RT, 8 res down the drain.
  • Wang TangWang Tang Join Date: 2004-08-18 Member: 30699Members
    Hi there,

would like to know if these bugs are acknowledged:

- upgrades overlapping in commander view and spectator (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131302644)
    - server browser options overlapping (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=173900017)

And the most important one, that has been bugging me since release:
    - mousewheel not bindable, and atm invertedly bound (yes, anyone who has another opinion on this is obviously and absolutely wrong)
  • UlmontUlmont Join Date: 2011-10-02 Member: 125211Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Not a bug, but there's about a metric ton of duplicate files in the models/marine folder that need to be cleaned up. The male folder alone has about 50 duplicate/unused files. I asked Kouji to buck it up the chain, but I'd just like to confirm that its being worked on.

Also, all the third-person animations for marines are busted.
  • CD121CD121 Join Date: 2013-04-04 Member: 184635Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ever since Biodome came out, sometimes in the comm chair I can hear the Biodome ambient music/sounds when the map is in fact not Biodome.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Map editor bugs: thumbnails render black, skybox flickers between clear and foggy white when moving camera.
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Drifters getting caught under surfaces.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    About the evolve buttons not showing up, I get this all the time. Just press be the INSTANT you come out of the egg, and none of the upgrade buttons are there. Press b twice (close, reopen) and they're back.
    I did.. i just tried it 5 times and ended up with 5 screenshots showing what my own eyes saw : upgrades.
    Hence why i need a tech support thread opened on the matter to pursue why. :)
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    About the evolve buttons not showing up, I get this all the time. Just press be the INSTANT you come out of the egg, and none of the upgrade buttons are there. Press b twice (close, reopen) and they're back.

Indeed.

Not being able to cyst is rare, and does happen on vanilla servers. Sometimes you can only cyst in one direction from the hive. It's strange and hasn't happened to me personally. But I've been in enough games where its caused a round reset.

Clicking on the trait and hitting evolve and nothing happening is also rare, and has only ever happened to me with the skulk.

Don't understand the egg stuck teleport. If you try to evolve in a vent it likely just won't let you, you don't get teleported out.
    I think that's a better solution than trying to egg in a sneaky spot and getting teleported into the middle of the pathway.

I need to start recording. :3

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Editor bug: Using the flip option on props causes weird results.

I'm pretty sure this is known.
    See also: forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/132351/flipping-bug
  • Squirreli_Squirreli_ Join Date: 2012-04-25 Member: 151046Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    [*]Pressing evolve button after spawn shows no traits - Nothing reported , would you make a tech support thread on this? i'd like to pursue it further, as i cannot reproduce.

Not of high importance, as closing evolve screen and reopening it again gives correct upgrade options. I did encounter this just last night but sadly can't confirm if it was vanilla. We had Flight Control hive and shell upgrades and I guess I was really quick on the evolve button (with a really quick computer @ 4,5ghz and 100+ fps).
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    • Not being able to cyst when round goes live - is a new one to me, can you confirm you've experienced it in vanilla ns2? No report open.

I've seen this a lot of times when aliens spawn fabrication on Descent

Also, semi related cyst bug: when cysting from gen to departures on Docking, cyst chain automatically goes to right side around the box just below stability and breaks. Happens all the time (not just with me). You have to cyst through left side manually.
    Pressing evolve button after spawn shows no traits - Nothing reported , would you make a tech support thread on this? i'd like to pursue it further, as i cannot reproduce.
    This one happens for me when I just joined the game. Like, textures didn't load yet.
    Evolving in an egg can teleport you - This was deemed Resolved on October 17th 2012 with a developer note of "You will still sometimes teleport if the game detects you would be stuck after evolving. This is intentional."
    Personally i remember this debate internally, as we still reported the occasional troubles like you mentioned.. but it was deemed an edge case that it ended up negatively, and worth the benefit of not being stuck when spawning. Is there room for improvement here? I think so.. i think the case of ending up in death triggers is a good example.
    I recently fell outside of the map when tried to evolve to gorge in chasm vent >_<
    How about it won't let you evolve if game detects you will be stuck? Because evolving in the center of the room is not what I want, when I start evolving in safe spots.
    Drifters getting caught under surfaces - Seen it.. but its not reported. Any reproduction steps would be awesome, ty!
    Drifters seem to derp a lot on Docking! Especially in east wing. Try sending them here and there, stairs near power node is a nice spot to catch this bug.
    Also, bottom lava, drifters occasionally get stuck in a wall near ceiling.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2013
    Jekt wrote: »
    Nano not activating on anything but still charging 5 tres and adding cooldown

>Nano not activating on anything but still charging 5 tres and adding cooldown
    >not activating on anything but still charging 5 tres and adding cooldown
    >still charging 5 tres and adding cooldown
    >still charging 5 tres

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-
    edited September 2013
    Speaking of not being able to cyst, just had it twice tonight. Unmodded servers.
    Cyst appears green, no red circle, but the message appears as if you can't place it and appears everywhere you try to cyst.