NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Updated 1.19 - 22/09/13

Removed checkpoint RT (map is now 10 rts)
    Tweeked entrance in to Surface access
    Moved RT In Hydroponics - due to some bug I am unable to fix

kodminimap.png
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Little status report:

PG + Amory + robo in Loading = lost hive for aliens in Command.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    Little status report:

PG + Amory + robo in Loading = lost hive for aliens in Command.

The vent from command to hydro should also go to loading, to help with this.
    The most unique feature of this map is the large open biodome section. Taken to it's most realized potential the biodome starts at the southern section, but it could keep going all the way to the biodome room at the top of the map.
    edited October 2013
    @ghoulofgsg9 Thankyou I was wondering about adding a vent there, I agree it is to powerful but it is also intended as an arc spot

The possibility of extending the biodome so it fully extends from the top to bottom does exist but id need to think of different ways to overcome draw / render distance / LOS / drawcalls I dont think I can get away with using another tunnel :D

This sunday will feature a revamped Hangarbay it is a throwback to the very early version on the map builds (0.1 to 0.8 ish). It still keeps some of the old features this is still very much work in progress and I have yet to add the central feature to the room!

kod_hangarbay_mk2.png
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    @Loki that pic looks amazing. The problem with Loading is that it is to small and ways to easy for marines to turtle inside. Even with pile bombs no chance to retake it as aliens as you can't reallly reach the power node from Command atm. Adding a vent should solve this or bring back the tunnel from hydro to loading.
  • shonanshonan Join Date: 2013-01-28 Member: 182562Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the top Biodome should have a separate name so it is more easily identified from the rest. Biodome #2 or something
    edited October 2013
    Updated to 1.2!

Revamped hangar bay
    Updated observation
    Biodome is now known as falls
    Added more detail geo to falls + a few basic props / sounds
    Added a vent between command and loading bay
    fixed a few small holes

Here is the new layout
    kod_minimap.png

Fixed the wrong room location in falls. Will no longer display "Falls biodome" in the minimap
    edited October 2013
    Updated for today

Few bug fixes
    Changed geo around Observation / Falls
    New vent from Hangar to observation
    Moved some props in Hangar to proved less LOS issues

The vent from command to loading has been fixed but because how ive had to update this week this fix will be in next weeks update so my appologies
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Rdy to test this changes
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    ok, stop right now the Earth engines, i need to get out and take some fresh air, too much awesome together.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Nice Loki, that river looks really cool.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    So nice lookin'! Love the soundtrack for that vid.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    It's looking great, and an interesting layout. I shall be following it's progress! :-)
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    Update 1.3 ! Sorry for the wall of text but a lot of work has occured this week :D

Change log

Ready Room
    Reworked the props + lighting
    Added seasonal props. Thanks @whitedevil for this
    o96Gcum.jpg

Falls

Newly finished area. Please provide feedback, further optimisation work will occur over the next few updates. Currently depending up on your graphics settings you should get anywhere from 40 to 100 FPS + in this area. On average again dependant upon your graphics settings it hovers around 50 to 90

tojYDjX.jpg

Pass

This section of the map replaced checkpoint. It is an extension of falls.

Marine start

Started the rework but ran out of time. Should be finished for next week

Water production

Removed connecting tunnel to central biodome. to boost performance in that area

Central biodome

Removed connecting tunnel to central biodome. to boost performance in that area
    Fixed 2 holes (not sure why these suddenly appeared)

Northern Biodome

Added new connection to "Pass"

Southern Biodome

Added more cover for aliens
    Removed several props
    Fixed a hole

Fixed the broken vent
    Removed some crates to open area up a little bit

Hydroponics

Reworked command > hydroponics vent should no longer be snipeable
    Removed 8 lights

Command

Removed a further 10 lights

Hangar Bay

Added more cover in that room. Reduced LOS from the stairs.

Latest minimap
    PQf7gdT.png

Known bugs

Minimap has issues around command attempted to fix several times but gave up

The old bio domes North Central and Southern will be revamped in the future to reflect the new RR / Falls / Pass bio dome sections. There is a good chance they will be renamed aswel if you have any name ideas please let me know!
  • casan0vaxcasan0vax Cloverfield, USA Join Date: 2012-11-04 Member: 166663Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited October 2013
    If anyone's interested in pubbing on Kodiak outside of the scheduled playtests, my team (All-In) does include the map on our server rotation.

Anyone's welcome to drop by, just grab some friends and hop in! We do keep the NSL mod + friendly fire active on our server, however, because we're trying to promote competitive play.

Also, we use the server to scrim at times, so we might have to close it down for brief periods--but when we're not scrimming, we remove PW and leave it open for public play, so knock yourselves out!

SERVER INFO:

Name: All-In | FF On - bluefangsolutions.com
    IP Addy: 69.162.86.4:27200

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to mention, our server is located in Texas, USA (US Central).

Cheers!

-soz
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    Just ran around this map for the first time. AMAZING work. I'm really impressed. The only thing I'd suggest from the finished areas I've seen so far is that the biodomes need some greener textures under the plants. You need moss and lichens on those rocks, and grass on the ground. Overall, this looks like a fantastic accomplishment, and I can't wait to play it. It feels like a real place, and that's quite an accomplishment.

Another thing you could try that wouldn't require any texture work would be to put sublte green-yellow lights underneath the trees to simulate light filtering through the leaves. (subtle though.)

I would like to do that stuff with grass / etc but that would be right at the absolute end.

Small update ! 1.3a

Marine start - Added the new layout (basic geo) need feedback to further improve upon this.
    It has been changed as it was
    1, to small
    2, to hard to aliens to effectivly assault (I had never seen aliens push this place well)
    3, to easy to defend for marines

It is now much larger.
    More open
    Power node is now in a more vunerable position.

Fixed the minimap bug + a few small holes

You will notice that the astroid feild has gone dont dispair it will be added back in on sunday. With added effects!
    edited October 2013
    Here's something that alters the flow of the entire map. To push more gameplay to the center sections of the map make the west and east rooms have paths leading back to the middle instead of the current paths leading to next room. Two rooms would make a u pattern making players needing to back to the bio area to travel to other two rooms. This prevents players circumventing the middle bio sections.
    edited October 2013
    About the new Marien-Start: Basically i like the new form. Just i would suggest to make the entry from falls a bit like the one from falls to observation. Fits better to the overall design of the map imho. Also i would round that corner at the entry from waterfalls to marine-start. @alster there were vents one from central towards water and falls, maybe they will return.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Also, those doors between falls/marine start look like they lead somewhere... the minimap tells different. That's not a big issue, though. I like the changes overall.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Hey Loki, I really enjoyed playing the map the other day. I'm not a good enough gamer to comment on the high level flow, but from a pub level, the map is a winner.

The only thing that bothered me was the hallway stairs to command. The room at the foot is very small, and if aliens have command, it is really hard to get and hold a siege base there.

I know this worked around because you can siege from south bio, but I'd rather you removed the siege ability from south bio, and slightly open up the area that links command and south bio, to make a siege location that is closer to the hive. This would be more difficult to defend than south bio, but also slightly easier to defend than the current small room and hall of death, where we lost 2 Exo's in the space of 2 seconds under your command, despite having 4 welders on them. :)

Graphically, the last time I was this awed by an NS map, was when I got the opportunity to see ns_shiva for the first time while it was in development. That map blew my mind then, going beyond anything I thought possible in the HL engine. I get the same feeling from the biodome areas in your map. I cannot describe how much I love this map, and I can't wait to play this map more as it develops.

I may ask to steal some of your biodome areas to make a map for my mod... :D
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    edited October 2013
    @alster I did have a couple of vents linking to the central part of the map from the outside at one point, where marines could get in them and use them. But for now I had to remove them if they need to go back in I will re add them.

@f0rdprefect I see what you mean but I doubt that wont get fixed until I get around to finished off marine start.

@Soul_Rider Thanks!, yeah that was a bit of a crazy game but we still won!. I dont mind you using stuff from Kodiak, it might be worth while waiting until the next update however I as am currently "upgrading" Northern / Central and Southern Biodome to reflect how falls / pass look. Since those places were done before Biodome came out its time for some updating :D

Yeah I am very unsure on the S bio arc spot but hardly anyone (except me) uses it but aliens have a vent that directly over looks this and can bb with ease. I might try to limit the number of arcs that can use this though instead of removing it completly. As for loading it is actually wider now than it was, although I can make the room bigger by extending it to the north. I am somewhat space limited due to that area being a little cramped.
  • JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
    edited October 2013
    What a SHAMELESS selfpromotion ;)
    Loki wrote: »
    rating based on watching the video:
    -without sound: looking really, really good
    -with sound: looking amazing, awesome, incredible ;)

i really had to laugh.
    this reminds me of somebody having a constipation and taking a final shit with this music in the background :D