NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    I really like where this is heading !
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    now we just need trees that give some kinda of alien fruit :P and ofcourse some melons
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm not completely sure but I think the aliens are getting resources too easily now, the games has been most of the time about aliens getting 4 onos pushes and marines just barely holding their RTs and 2nd base.

I like how the map is going along. The biodome is looking awesome now with those trees.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    thanks peeps
    @relilik_pt lol I will see if I can do somthing

@WhiteDevil Got several changes in mind to try to solve this - stay tuned :D

Northern_Biodome_2.png

its nearly finished northern biodome that is, just several more bits (detailing to add) but got the roofing done with textures, working on yet another tree geo model lol there are 3 different ones so far in the picture above :D. Manged to do get some optimisation done and got a whole 5 more FPS in that room (on my PC) but still got a lot more I can do.

• XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Those trees look beautiful
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    Biodome is looking great! Have you thought about asking to use that independence day hangar bay as unplayable but awesome detail for your hangar bay?
    I like the Biodome, but could I suggest that you put a path leading trough the Biodome. This path could be illuminated along with small omni lights, providing some contrast to the scene.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited April 2013
    @xarius thankyou
    @DarkSeraph I have but I doubt it would happen as I have been meaning to I think the hangar bay will eventually end up going and just leave that one you can see into from marine start
    @rudy.cz thankyou :D, There was a picture, South_Biodome_1.png like id like to do somthing similar but unsure how to start it atm but I do know what you mean

There will not be any more updates for kodiak for the next few weeks as will be moving house / loss of the internet etc etc but when I return there will be a fairly large one.

so for version 8
    Massive overhaul of the north side of the map to try to balance it out more
    Cool, looking better. Maybe some light color variation could spice up the scene bit more, but that is up to your artistic intention or maybe its just WIP:)

Also another idea. Put some spots lights duplicates under the ceiling lights (as you already have), give them high atmospherics and no specular. Make them just 1/3 long as is the ceiling height. Could create nice cone effect.
    new update now on steam !
    edited June 2013
    Updated the map yet again version 1.8 includes

A new marine start !
    Sheild generator has been removed and in its place is the current placeholder name of observation
    Hangar bay has been redesigned and still subject to changes (its now much smaller, mainly a placeholder)
    Northern Biodome has been improved
    More vents added
    Astroid tracking moved and changed back to basic geo
    Production has been alterted
    New route from central biodome to / production + wepons labs
    Service tunnels / reactor (lol forgot the name) has been removed and replaced with elevators - placeholder geo

v8.1 (monday) - fixed occlusion issues
                        - additional vent added

v8.2 (today)   - Planted more trees! / plants more rocks more improvments to northern biodome
                       -Changed observation yet again - now looks more like some cargo transit corridor
                       - Removed the segregating wall in marine start (its now much larger and open due to this change)

Due to the recent changes to the launch pad I have had to create a new workshop entry for kodiak it can be found here
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=143649973

Pictures!
    New marine start (started out as a hommage to ns1 ayumi, but the influences can still clearly be seen when walking around)

Minimap correct as of  6 May 2013

Northern Biodome

• WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Biodome is starting to look lovely. Aliens are still winning though.
    ty, since the last update I am seeing marines getting a lot more wins now but I think it is still to alien orientated
    edited May 2013
    The next update will contain the revamped production, there is still a fair bit to do but it is well on the way to being ready in time for sunday.

and the water is wadeable :)
    edited June 2013
    Version release 1.9

Production has been revamped and I now consider this room 95% complete ( along with NBiodome at 90% done / hydroponics 65%)

not much else for changes this time around

the old room

and the new room

updated

changed some items in production
    fixed the missing textures (Devs removed biodome textures) replaced with temp ones untill I get time to redo those areas
    I had attempted to get an updated out for today, however I want to get a lot more done on some other sections first. The next update which is coming soon will feature some massive overhauls as well as some changes in other sections. However in the mean time here are some pictures of the newly redone central biodome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before pictures
    NS2_Kodiak_Central_Biodome_5.jpg
    NS2_Kodiak_Central_Biodome_4.png

After !

NS2_Kodiak_Central_Biodome_1.jpg
    NS2_Kodiak_Central_Biodome_2.jpg
    NS2_Kodiak_Central_Biodome_3.jpg

This section of the map + 3 others will be updated and added to the workshop soonish.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    edited June 2013
    Awesome map design! Played it for a few rounds and am really enjoying the flow. Of course all in all it feels not completly done yet, but what is there already looks very promising indeed.
    edited June 2013
    Updated - version 1.10 includes

The following sections are now finished (pending very minor changes for balance / performance)
    Northern Biodome
    Central Biodome
    Southern Biodome

A new vent between N bio to Command

Improved occlusion geo around the entire biodome
    Small changes to control techpoint

Southern Biodome
    kodiak_S_bio.png
    edited June 2013
    -Fixed a hole in biodome roof
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    This map is starting to look really good!
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    wow! some serious changes have gone down since i last saw the map. While some issues cropped up here and there I felt the new layout and changes make for a much better layout than the previous version. Apart from the FPS killer shadows and the sniped hive, I don't have any complaints at this point.
    I look forward to the next game.
  • ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gee whizz mister, biodome sure is pretty. Those flowers are really cool and I enjoyed looking around in there while rampaging on marines. :D

As an Onos, I did find a few points in the map where I kept colliding with the ceiling or a prop that was a bit low hanging. The staircase from Control down to the corridor between Central Biodome and Hydroponics, the corridor leading out of Water Production to Labs and the doorway in Docking that leads to the stairs to Observation.

I feel that Aliens should have lost last night, it felt cheap coming back from so far behind. I don't know how others feel about it though.

All in all, while it was yet another alien win, it was a more frantic and stressful one than I've had on the map in a while.

edited June 2013
    It was a fun game :) even if we did lose in the end!
    Some of those issues will be address when those sections get some love

Fixed various bugs in current map
    Added additional route in and out of hangar
    Moved "labs techpoint" further north shrinking the south of the map a little more
    Renamed Lab reception to Surface Access
    Renamed weapons labs to repair

kodiak_c_bio.png
    It has been a while since I posted anything! I Not had much time of late but still been working on the map. Here is a screenshot of the soon to be added ready room. Hope you like it!

kodiak_rr_F1.png
    Looking sexy. Also I think when Biodome will get released, you will get a lot of sexy assets ideal for your map to toy with. There will be practically two Biodome maps :)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Oooo I like this! This could be my second favorite upcoming map behind Tarvos :D
    Version 1.13

Ready room added!
    Surface Access has been remade!
    New Route - External Walkway
    New Route - Tunnel B5 - (Replaced Weapons Labs)
    Few ambient sounds added to the map
    Small geo change in Techpoint - Control
    Texture fix / bug fixing in the map
    External Map has been extended
    Lighting fixed on railgun cannon in C Biodome

-- next update will be done around junction tunnel b5 + other areas
    New Minimap

ns2_Kodiak_Minimap.png
    Ready Room

kodiak_RR_F.png
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Were those custom light models I saw, as well as the flowers? And that tree you made is awesome. You are a very skilled mapper. Maybe you could add more :)
    Seemed to be well balanced too.