NS2 Kodiak - updated 23/03/2014 (Version to 2.5) - Map "Complete"

Comments

• HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    its really coming along nicely... keep at it!
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Alpha release version 4 - Changelog
    RT moved to southern Biodome
    Northern Biodome extend
    New RT added to Northern Biodome (takes the map up to 11 RTs now)
    Central Biodome now only has 1 link giving direct access to regulation
    Vent added between lab reception and regulation
    Defence subsystems / Hangarbay now only have 2 entrance / exits down from 3
    New route added between west airlock and shield generator + northern biodome
    Place holder room in place connecting these 3 new routes
    Control to hydroponics corridor has been altered
    Hydroponics to Control via South Biodome has been sealed this route now goes to Nothern Biodome
    Additional details / lightning etc in Hydroponics
    additonal light of sight issues been resolved
    Basic occlusion geo re added
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    Holy **** this map is BIG. But it played very well in the test.

Only thing I have to say for now: put some bars or grates across the glass windows. They can't be seen in Alien vision and it's very confusing. We lost an Onos to that :P They should be instantly recognizable as see through but not walk through in Alien vision.
  • LokiLoki Join Date: 2012-07-07 Member: 153973Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2013
    Aye its a large map It was bigger in the past (around the marine start) I am considering shrinking it again (but not by much) as want to keep the layout style. But the main thing is if it plays well !
    Alpha release version 5 - changelog
    Redone the ready room
    Added more of the external map
    Fixed issue where people got stuck in marine start
    Added props to highlight the windows in west airlock
    Partly opened the door between south biodome / hydroponics marines / skulks / gorges / lerks ( + or - fades not tried this yet) can now pass
    Redone the occlusion geo (in part) around the right side of marine start
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited March 2013
    9660507DC6CF2DF0BE898F7E191BCDCB3A27212B
    Onus got stuck where the glog is. Was a fun game. The broken door by control is very tight even for skulks. Could you raise that up just a little.
    Other than that we had a really good game on kodiak (the second one) it keeps getting better.
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    I had some issues fighting Lerks in the mid area, north / south bio. They faded in and out of view sometimes, as if the range was to great.
  • WhiteDevilWhiteDevil Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty fun to play. It now feels very dynamic and the battlefield keeps changing although people seemed to favor hydroponics a lot now. Could be nice to get more action to the biodome area too, people tend to avoid the place.

nitpicking:
    I kept smaking my head into the glass walls both as an alien and a marine in hydroponics and control
    you cant run to the lower level of defence substation without crouching although it looks like you should
    long open corridors are hard for skulks
  • despairdespair Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165746Members
    ETA on when it wont be greyscale anymore?
    Despair: maps take a long long time. We only test once a week, you need a few tests on each build before you can understand what needs changing further its a process that takes months. With that in mind, to polish a map to final quality can take anything up to two years. There's no answer to that question. Play, promote and provide feedback for the maps to speed up development.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    despair wrote: »
    ETA on when it wont be greyscale anymore?

The colored version is only for VIP players. You need to buy beatification DLC and then there will be grey textures no more.

edited March 2013
    @ vert^ There will be draw distance issues in the biodome untill I get around to adding all the details / props etc in need to bear with me on that !

@whitedevil - Aye the 2 large windows are only place holders for the moment untill I come back to that area of the map working on geting rid of the long corridors for the moment
    As for hydroponics I think that is down to how much the commander views it as a strategic location out of the games we have had there have been major fighting going on in and arouind hydroponics and northern biodome, hydro is not as bad as it used to be in the first 2 / 3 versions the entire game depended on holding that one room (also hydroponics is the part of the map which is about 50% done so people just might want to hold a textured area !)
    @dispair - no idea :D need to get the map to play well and issues such as people getting stuck / draw distances or OP rooms fixed before I texture the whole thing up
    Atleast you knew about it :) You had awesome testers.. so ofc you did! I just experienced it during the session and wanted to let you know! Other than that I really REALLY liked the greybox so far.. was a ton of fun, I already started propping alot of the areas in my head as I ran around, and it shows great potential :) Can't recall anything else that I could provide feedback on.
  • Rellik_ptRellik_pt Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181205Members
    yep its starting to be a good map, the only complain is the hangar area where i fall as onos in the ship part and got stuck because the only away up was that stairs case where marines where hold it , and marines above in the bridge shooting at me :(
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Rellik_pt wrote: »
    yep its starting to be a good map, the only complain is the hangar area where i fall as onos in the ship part and got stuck because the only away up was that stairs case where marines where hold it , and marines above in the bridge shooting at me :(
    I was thinking to myself, What? I can hear an Onos, but I don't see one! Then I saw the red dot on the minimap. I did not want to put you down, but I had to defend my fellow marines from the alien onslaught. :'(
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    This map also lacks proper vent structure so far. I don't see the layout posted or I'd make more suggestions. The one I do remember is wanting to go from North Bio to Defense and having to go all the way around - a vent into production or directly to defense would help. There are several other rooms that could use them. If you post minimap I can suggest some more.

Also, the layout of Hangar Bay bothers me. I'm not sure if it's too open or what, but the game play feels odd in there.
    Yes there are no vents in at the moment ive been waiting for people to mentioned where they feel they should be and go from there (hence only the 1 vent so far) the area you mentioned is getting changed a fair bit for the next update I shall try to work a vent in to it between bio - defence.

As for hangar bay I aint really happy with that I never have been that entire zone of the map is going to be scrapped and done over, but not for some time I am afraid I do feel sorry for that onos tho :) I was watching you as comm and was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    Lokee wrote: »
    As for hangar bay I aint really happy with that I never have been that entire zone of the map is going to be scrapped and done over, but not for some time I am afraid I do feel sorry for that onos tho :) I was watching you as comm and was like noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Don't you dare! :D I was the marine that jumped off to get the onos down there. My team had no idea where it went for nearly a minute, then when I spawned and ran down, I saw the Onos corpse slide down the ramp. Awesome room, please reconsider !

the room is not the problem but a bit more cover in that area and maybe another away to leave that area as onos or even exos if they go down like i did could be nice
    edited April 2013
    Coming soon in alpha version 5
    Rebuilt a techpoint and its sourrounding area
    the old - Defense Substation
    kxzJHKV.jpg

and the new Command

techpoint3new.png

Not updated the minimap yet as not to give anything else away
    edited April 2013
    Alpha Release version 6 !

Redone techpoint 3
    -Now known as command (was weapon subsystems) - Pictured above
    -Contains 2 vents
    - Fairly detailed geo wise
    - Some basic textures / lighting added
    - Rebuilt approches to the techpoint

Started work on Northern Biodome
    - Very basic geo added
    - Some plants / rocks etc added
    - Basic lighting done
    - Added some more occlusion geo in this area

Added Central Biodome
    - Added power node

Fixed door issue
    Moved RT from regulation to Production
    Redesigned Production (basic greybox)
    Optimised occlusion geo some more / fixed astroid tracking geo issue
    Current layout as of version 6

kodiak_minimap.png
    GENERIC TREE BARK TEXTURE:
    dnYZJ3W.jpg
    Drop the howser folder in your ns2/materials folder. Make sure you publish it with the mod or it'll be invisible.
    Also scale it down for the smaller branches and up for the thick main trunk. You should probably just have a tree model, but if you like to be difficult :P
    it's attached to this post.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for this :) and well if you want to make a tree model I will add it in ofc :D going to clearly need more than one otherwise it would be rather boring !
    well here is some ideias for vents and other stuff
    lmCkmtc.jpg
    I'd personally say don't add any vents atm. the map is biased in favour of the aliens. Giving them better mobility and sneaky routes is only going to aid them further. Bastard skulks!

I have been thinking that If marines were drawn to the biodomes more they have more easy access to the rest of the lower map.
    Shield Gen., Hanger bay, and service tunnels should be modified to flow better into the northern biodome. for some reason or another, atm I just want to go to hydro once i got through shield generator. Not sure exactly why.
    well the last match was a pain in the ass to win as aliens for the lack of routes to counter the exos and jet packs in the corridors, and that happen with more public players that on sundays i can only imagine people complain a bit more it the map is release without some shortcuts for aliens when overun. but like i said its some opinions and ideias to him.
    Don't get me wrong it needs some vents and the suggestions you made are solid, but If the maps not balanced, adding vents just introduces more factors to consider with the balancing of the map.
    transit is bare gray boxes and quite tight and long I find pushing out of hydro as an alien also quite difficult.
    Another suggestion might be moving the biodome up so its more central to the map. So the northern biodome would be where service tunnels is.
    Well in the next update before the above transit had already been changed for sundays update, its larger than before has some crates :D but it also links in to the northern most entrance to Nbiodome. I am reducing some travel times in the next update aswell in the hopes it will sorta balance the map a little more. As for the vents posted above I shall look in to it, will add maybe 1 or 2 (mainly around hydroponics) that should stop some of the bottle necks there.
    edited April 2013
    Alpha Release version 7 !

Redone techpoint 3
    -Fixed issue with geo
    -Fixed issue with vent (unable to jump out with ease)
    -Added a ladder in the vent so marines can escape
    - Fixed issue with geo blocking commander camera

Northern Biodome
    Northern_Biodome.png
    - More detail added / Textures still required on roofing
    - More plants / rocks etc added
    - Trees added !!!!!!! ( Thanks to Howser for the bark texture who made this possible !)
    - Added some more occlusion geo in this area
    - Moved RT / Power Node
    - Still have more detail to add to this room, interested to hear ppls feed back particulary perfomance wise as I still have quite a bit of optimising to do here.

Asteroid Tracking
    - Extended the room
    - Added a vent

West Airlock
    - Changed just a grey room now
    (will add boxes n such next update)

Hydroponics to Hangar Bay (Transit - to be renamed) / Placeholder room / corridors
    - New room (ish)
    - New corridor (Not as narrow as before)
    - Now links in to Northern Biodome

Generic Map
    - Reduced travel times on some routes by around 2 to 4 seconds
    - Fixed issue with cysting
    - Small alterations in ready room (due to lost geo :( )

Quick fix - Fixed the 2 holes in the map between hydroponics and hangarbay