Ideas For Subnautica Below Zero

14567810»

Comments

• lordpuglordpug UK Join Date: 2019-03-10 Member: 251655Members
    hsb408n9no4v.jpgedemwcyzysv4.png
    Here are some more vehicles I designed. I hope you like them devs.
  • MysteriousTreeMysteriousTree Join Date: 2020-03-01 Member: 258406Members
    What about hatchable leviathan eggs?
    It would be pretty cool to have a pet shadow leviathan
  • RossumRossum Join Date: 2019-07-12 Member: 253707Members
    I came across a post on the steam forums about how the sea monkeys can be useful for gathering resources, such as finding various ores in their nests or how they can even offer metals or resources to the player once you hatch a sea monkey egg (though I've never seen an example of this).

Anyway, this does offer some potential for the player (or Alterra researchers in general) of finding ways to turn the sea monkeys into a useful ally or resource instead of pests.

For example:

1. The player could build some shiny beacons or special spy camera things that the sea monkeys naturally steal and bring to their nest. Then, the device alerts the player when the resident sea monkeys start loading more minerals or technology fragments into their nests. Basically... a sea monkey nest with one of these devices put in it suddenly becomes an easy way for the player to find more resources or tech fragments.

Alterra might even have a special project going on where they need to recover all the bits of broken technology fragments scattered around the ocean and instead of sending employees to scour the ocean, they decided to put devices in the sea monkey nests, let the sea monkeys gather up the fragments for them, and then snag the fragments from the nests at their leisure.

2. The player can form bonds with the sea monkeys by offering them fish or other food items. Wild sea monkeys might see the player swimming around with a shiny tool or other device and try to steal it from them. However, if the player switches to holding a fish then the sea monkey might back off or the player can offer it to them as a treat. Once they do this, they can start taming the sea monkeys to make them give the player various resources or fragments whenever they enter sea monkey territory.

This could tie in with the nonviolent themes of the game where the player can make use of the creatures in subnautica by understanding them. If they get on good terms with the sea monkeys by offering food to them, the sea monkeys return it by offering minerals and resources. And occasionally things like batteries or whatever.

3. Actually... considering Robin Goodall having a similar name to the famous primatologist Jane Goodall, it would interesting if studying and working with the sea monkeys was actually something of her job at the research site. The other people working with Alterra are going around mining or looking for alien artifacts and getting their sea trucks, seaglides, and tools all lost and smashed up all over the place (seriously, there are alot of fragments all over) and have to send teams out to retrieve the fragments only for those teams to get their stuff smashed up.

Meanwhile, Robin might be studying the sea monkeys and working with them, discover that they naturally gather up minerals or fragments of technology on their own, and the Alterra heads decide this could be useful to get some free labor to clean up their messes (while completely ignoring the fact that these sea monkeys are displaying some pretty impressive understanding of tool use or learning to trade shiny things for food).

So... I dunno... maybe at the start of the game Robin has a few tasks (or even a worklist she can ignore once the emergency starts) that tells her to go gather technology fragments from the sea monkey nests, feed them to tame them, etc and then they can sort of help her out during the emergency. Even if only by providing an easy source for early game materials and fragments.

Then, taking this idea and expanding on it for other creatures:

There are lots of aggressive predators that have the annoying habit of swimming after my seatruck and taking bites out of it or attacking me while I'm out exploring. Going on the assumption that these creatures are just kind of minding their own business looking for food and aren't actually just video game monsters out to get the player for no reason, it would be kind of neat if we could... say... throw some food at them as a distraction to avoid having to deal with them.

Like, if you're swimming in the water and hear something start to chase you, you can choose to throw a raw fish into the water and have it instantly distract the predator chasing you. Or make some kind of "fish bait" item or deployable doodad out of cooked fish in the fabricator that you can toss at a predator to distract them.

Kind of like how in the original Subnautica you can toss bits of metal salvage at stalkers to distract them and make them drop their teeth. If a cryptosuchus or brute shark chases the player, maybe they can throw something like a titanium chew toy with bells on it at them, causing them to waste their time trying to bite the decoy instead of the player.

Basically... it would be nice to be able to bribe the various creatures in the game to help out. In the case of sea monkeys using them to help get minerals or fragments and in the case of larger predators just bribe them into leaving us alone by tossing bait at them.
  • ZiusdraZiusdra WA Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258646Members
    What if there was a unique item you'd get from cooperating with and trading with the Sea Monkeys? Not a critical item, the way stalker teeth were critical items you needed from interacting with creatures in Subnautica 1, but some kind of supplementary item that you'd get no other way in the game, like the seed for a decorative exterior plant (perhaps an exterior plant that deters certain kinds of predatory creatures). The Sea Monkeys are so annoying that I tend to kill them all, and if they bring me titanium or copper it isn't going to stop me from killing them when they take my scanner. But I might be willing to tolerate them if they brought me something unique or at least more useful. At the very least, have them bring Scrap Metal that can be turned into multiple titaniums, rather than just bringing 1 titanium to the player.
  • ZiusdraZiusdra WA Join Date: 2020-03-10 Member: 258646Members
    Oh and yes! Cuthbert on the previous page mentioned "environments that change with time." With sea environments this would be more difficult (but still perhaps worthwhile!). But on land it is easier to envision and implement. For example, have the player, Pengwings, and Snowstalkers leave footprints in the snow. And have snowstorms cover up and wipe out these footprints. To take it a step further (ba-dum-tiss), have snowstorms cover certain areas with so much snow that walking becomes difficult (do you know how difficult it is to walk in five feet of snow?) and the terrain looks unrecognizable. But have such snowstorms be rare occurrences and limited to only certain areas above ground.

One point about biomes and story progression. The Spikey Trap (do they have a better name?) that we see in the Deep Twisty Bridges should, biologically speaking, be found in other parts of the world, and not localized to just one cavern on the whole planet. But what parts of the world, you ask? I think, narratively speaking, it would be appropriate to put them near the end of the game as well. This gives the game a kind of unity ("poetry" is what George Lucas would call it), a wrapping up, of sorts. We saw them in the first dangerous challenge we faced; put them near one of our final dangerous challenges for the symmetry. Put them in the red crystal caverns, in the deep parts. It's already dangerous with the leviathans down there, but why not make it a tad more dangerous. It is nearing the end of the game after all.
  • SimeBSimeB Croatia Join Date: 2020-03-11 Member: 258661Members
    edited March 2020
    Hello devs, i stumbled upon great music that can be implemented in the game. it is made with soinds of humpback whales... it is on yt Chanel inner child and it is called CANTICUM MEGAPTERAE - Song of the Hump back whale.
    The artist is a biology student making a doctorate in sea mamels comunication.
  • MAXIMOZAMAXIMOZA Ukraine Join Date: 2020-03-11 Member: 258672Members
    New creature "Tentaclly"
    qn2211ia42md.jpg

Neutral attitude

Eatable

In order to cook, you need to trim the tentacles (the tentacles are eatable)

The childrens have narrowed eyes, the antennae do not glow, and the tail is not bifurcated.

Also, the childrens do not have tentacles.

They eat plankton.
  • darrindarrin Frankfurt; Germany Join Date: 2019-02-15 Member: 250965Members
    edited March 2020
    Rossum wrote: »
    1. The player could build some shiny beacons or special spy camera things that the sea monkeys naturally steal and bring to their nest.
    This is already the case. Just build a beacon or scanner room camera, equip it and let the sea monkey steal it. They will then swim to a nearby nest and drop it there.
    Then, the device alerts the player when the resident sea monkeys start loading more minerals or technology fragments into their nests. Basically... a sea monkey nest with one of these devices put in it suddenly becomes an easy way for the player to find more resources or tech fragments. Alterra might even have a special project going on where they need to recover all the bits of broken technology fragments scattered around the ocean and instead of sending employees to scour the ocean, they decided to put devices in the sea monkey nests, let the sea monkeys gather up the fragments for them, and then snag the fragments from the nests at their leisure.
    I like the idea. For me though, it would suffice if the beacon or spy camera can be used to find their nests more easily. But the sea monkeys should have a better wayfinding skill and should swim greater distances to bring the camera/beacon to their nests (not just 5m).

If the camera could then be equipped with an internal storage and a remote arm (just like aspy penguin), it could be used to steal everything from the thief's nest. The next goal would be to get the beacon/camera back to you without attracting nearby sea monkeys.

And I would absolutely love it, if the sea monkeys would find Architect tech fragments for you or if hatched sea monkeys would could be 'dropped' somewhere just to have them collect nearby items they would bring to a 'fake' nest you've just constructed.
    2. The player can form bonds with the sea monkeys by offering them fish or other food items. Wild sea monkeys might see the player swimming around with a shiny tool or other device and try to steal it from them.
    It would be cool if the player would find sea monkeys that carry some items around and allow the player trick them into dropping the item by luring them with a 'special kind of candy' (maybe a certain fish).
    There are lots of aggressive predators that have the annoying habit of swimming after my seatruck and taking bites out of it or attacking me while I'm out exploring. Going on the assumption that these creatures are just kind of minding their own business looking for food and aren't actually just video game monsters out to get the player for no reason, it would be kind of neat if we could... say... throw some food at them as a distraction to avoid having to deal with them.
    It would be cool if you could use fish to 'disable' a spikey trap or if fish would have different 'effects' just like potions in other games. One might be used to slow or even stun a predator (to allow you to scan it). Other fish might enrage the predator or cause it to flee. Yet another fish creates a cloud of dense darkness and yet another one glows so brightly that you can 'drop' it somewhere to lighten up the surroundings.
  • YRoverYRover Moscow, Russia Join Date: 2020-03-16 Member: 258828Members
    edited March 2020
    Here is a simple idea which might impact how the game plays more than you think.

How about make O2 tanks depletable/rechargable (similar to batteries)? Also make them last much longer. Think about how much this frequent need to get to the surface for air takes from immersion? Sometimes I really want to immerse myself into this underwater world, observe that magnificent art, gather resources and interact with stuff calmly. Especially when the soundtrack kicks right into the perfect moment. And it is so annoying, that you need to get out of that immersion to the surface for breath of air. You have to constantly be focused on that thought in the back of your mind "I need to get to the surface right about now". I think this classifies as "unfun" mechanic.

Also It's kinda weird how your O2 tank gets auto-refilled whenever you get to the surface. So there should be also some O2 tank charger station.

So imagine if O2 tanks could last for 10 minutes, but you also have to charge them at your base. Not only that would create the reason for carrying with yourself multiple O2 tanks, this would force you to plan your journey a little more. Asking yourself where you plan to explore and why you are going that way would cause you to decide how many O2 tanks you want to take with you. You'd also have to consider the fact that they are taking the inventory space.

Another thought is vehicles should also have rechargable O2 capacity (or maybe even detachable and recharchable O2 tanks similar to batteries)

It is clear that a lot of design of Below Zero tries to force the player more underwater (terrible weather above the water and plants which can replenish your O2), so maybe the expendable/replenishable O2 tank which lasts 10 minutes is perfectly in line with that. (Also maybe the deeper your base are - the harder it is to charge the tank)
  • chaapschaaps Join Date: 2020-04-16 Member: 260109Members
    Maybe a portable radio? It would go into one of the equipment slots on your person, and would sync up with the last base you've been to. It would also have a battery, that you would need to recharge like the normal tools.
  • DreassilDreassil Join Date: 2019-07-08 Member: 253650Members
    I feel like there is something missing behind Purple Vents and Lilypad Islands. I would put there some biome or cut it off, cuz it looks kinda wierd right now.

In my opinion some glowing at night biome would look good great there just for aethetic purposes.

I would also put there some passive scary looking big leviathan (maybe see-through like Ghost Leviathan) that would shoot out poison cloud when you come near and he would orbit around map from Purple Vents to Tree Spires.

• SkillcheckSkillcheck Join Date: 2020-06-02 Member: 261582Members
    I really hope that developers will add Ice Dragon eventually (not this gibberish which we have in ice). I tell about that Dragon that was on early arts. Damn, he looks sooo beautiful and scary at the same time. I can't believe that developers just refused from him because they don't have enough space for him. They added Sea Dragon in original game, made a huge biom for him and he was really good. So, i know that they can do the same for Ice Dragon. Right now, Below Zero is smaller than the first game. This game needs such a huge biom , such a huge leviathan as Sea Dragon ( Ice worm is good, but he's lives on land), and Ice Dragon like no other is suitable for that. I also want to say that majority of players all over the world think the same way I do, trust me. So, please, dear developers, review your decision again.
  • Ethan007Ethan007 India Join Date: 2020-06-19 Member: 261971Members
    Freeze meter? When going too deep?
  • potatoZMasterpotatoZMaster Israel Join Date: 2020-06-20 Member: 261999Members
    i would love love LOVE to see a seatruck sonar upgrade implemented. one of my absolute favorite items in the entire first game was the cyclops and seamoth sonar upgrade, and its just totally gone in this one. the code exists, lemme at it! :D
  • DreassilDreassil Join Date: 2019-07-08 Member: 253650Members
    edited June 2020
    And also I didn't feel scared at all playing Below Zero like when I played the first one. The first game was much much deeper and open and thats scares me as hell. Wish they would make map bigger and deeper...

I would make zones behind the island much much deeper like Blood Kelp was. Mainly Purple Vents, Tree Spires and Thermal Spires.
  • Raph2377Raph2377 canada Join Date: 2020-06-22 Member: 262027Members
    Hello, I have an idea regarding the development of Subnautica below Zero. This idea has a good technical challenge, but it can be good for a complete change of story (or bad, that's your opinion.)

I know that there are phase gates in the history of the game, and that the Aurora was supposed to go build one on 4546B, I thought that we could access the crash site of the Aurora from one of these phase portals, a portal could lead to the place where the first Subnautica takes place.

Subnautica below zero should take place a few years after the events of the first game, so because of this, the elements that we knew in the first game would have aged, example: the Life pod 5 would be sunk and the wreckage of the Aurora would have wasted. We could then revisit the first game from below zero. A phase portal could lead us to the quarantine platform or to another portal.

I don't know if this is a good idea.

send a comment i'm open to the person who are against

cordially.
  • Raph2377Raph2377 canada Join Date: 2020-06-22 Member: 262027Members
    chaaps wrote: »
    Maybe a portable radio? It would go into one of the equipment slots on your person, and would sync up with the last base you've been to. It would also have a battery, that you would need to recharge like the normal tools.
    YRover wrote: »
    Here is a simple idea which might impact how the game plays more than you think.

How about make O2 tanks depletable/rechargable (similar to batteries)? Also make them last much longer. Think about how much this frequent need to get to the surface for air takes from immersion? Sometimes I really want to immerse myself into this underwater world, observe that magnificent art, gather resources and interact with stuff calmly. Especially when the soundtrack kicks right into the perfect moment. And it is so annoying, that you need to get out of that immersion to the surface for breath of air. You have to constantly be focused on that thought in the back of your mind "I need to get to the surface right about now". I think this classifies as "unfun" mechanic.

Also It's kinda weird how your O2 tank gets auto-refilled whenever you get to the surface. So there should be also some O2 tank charger station.

So imagine if O2 tanks could last for 10 minutes, but you also have to charge them at your base. Not only that would create the reason for carrying with yourself multiple O2 tanks, this would force you to plan your journey a little more. Asking yourself where you plan to explore and why you are going that way would cause you to decide how many O2 tanks you want to take with you. You'd also have to consider the fact that they are taking the inventory space.

Another thought is vehicles should also have rechargable O2 capacity (or maybe even detachable and recharchable O2 tanks similar to batteries)

It is clear that a lot of design of Below Zero tries to force the player more underwater (terrible weather above the water and plants which can replenish your O2), so maybe the expendable/replenishable O2 tank which lasts 10 minutes is perfectly in line with that. (Also maybe the deeper your base are - the harder it is to charge the tank)

decompression stops could also be a good idea.
  • RockyWafflezRockyWafflez Join Date: 2020-05-10 Member: 260881Members
    I think it would be really cool and funny if you could build a base inside the Ventgarden.
  • ThxfishThxfish Join Date: 2020-06-28 Member: 262181Members
    Muzzy182uk wrote: »
    I was wondering. I know below zero will be a stand alone game but can there be extras included for people that own subnautica? Maybe certain blueprints from the original game or something ie like access to the sea glide straight away.?

I actually had a really similar idea, remember those big storage bins on the neptune rocket? What if you could find it crashed back on 4546B in the ice? The ending says you were denied landing privileges because of the debt you occurred during the game, so could be logical from a storyline perspective that the neptune only had two locations in its database, departure and destination. It could be a cool nod to people who completed the first subnautica and gives you a way to carry forward stuff into the new game?
  • ThxfishThxfish Join Date: 2020-06-28 Member: 262181Members
    I'd also love it if the flora had more impact on gameplay, apart from some very specific plants for crafting, most of the plants in the base game didn't serve much of a purpose to harvest I found
  • jodojodo czech republic Join Date: 2020-06-11 Member: 261791Members
    Halios wrote: »
    Gender option for player character. It should also have been in the original game.

Some people are happy playing either gender. Good for them. I'm not.

To pre-empt any "you're just insecure about your masculinity" rubbish, I'm gay and couldn't care less about that.

Unnecesarry problems with translations into other languages. Duplication of dialogues. Limitations of the story. Useless change. Developers Deus Ex 2:Invisible War, they also listened to the players' opinion. They put the choice of gender into play, they adapted the story accordingly. That game failed.
  • dyoung11dyoung11 Join Date: 2020-07-03 Member: 262287Members
    Is there a place to further categorize Suggestion topics or should we all just throw our suggestions in here as it seems this is the only thread with some good discussion/traction? Like suggestions related to QoL, New Content, Revamp Existing Content, Alternate implementation of cut content, etc etc?
  • permeakrapermeakra Moscow/Russia Join Date: 2020-08-18 Member: 263386Members
    How many peoples have already complained about storage seatruck module having too small storage capacity? Because it's storage capacity is incredibly small. I mean, seriously. By in-game size you can but there two big quartz+2Ti lockers with 48 storage capacity each. The storage module should be optimized for storage, so I totally expected it to have at least twice capacity, i.e. ~200 storage. But no.

So far it seems it is more ergonomic to use seaglider and do two roundtrips than bother with a seatruck.
  • MysticRedShiftMysticRedShift North west Join Date: 2020-08-19 Member: 263393Members
    I found a song that i think should be a juke box disc thingy xD the song of ruelle - deep end.

Where can I go?
    When the shadows are calling
    Shadows are calling me
    What can I do?
    When it's pulling me under
    Pulling me underneath
    It's getting close
    I lose control
    It's taking over
    I'm slipping into the deep end
    I'm in over my head
    I can't catch my breath
    Feel the current within
    I can't help but give in
    Like Lead in my veins
    Darkness is sinking
    Darkness is sinking me
    Commanding my soul
    I am under the surface
    Where the blackness burns beneath
    It's getting close
    I lose control
    It's taking over
    It's getting close
    I lose control
    It's taking over
    I'm in over my head
    I can't catch my breath
    Feel the current within
    I can't help but give in
    I'm lost in the deep end
    I'm lost in the deep…

I paste the lyrica so you dont have to google. But take a listen xD. the tone of the song suits subnautica xD i think they make their own songs to put in the game xD but just thought i should mention it just incase.
  • heyhey317heyhey317 London Join Date: 2021-03-23 Member: 268453Members
    Interdimensional travel.
    If not in Below Zero, there should be some sort of interdimensional travel included in a sequel, it would be really cool!
  • DieWilcoDieWilco netherlands Join Date: 2021-03-30 Member: 268635Members
    add frozen warper: he shoots freezing balls instead of teleportation and if you get hit you will be stunned for a little time and then be freed and it also effects your vehichle
  • MarinoMarino Rabac Join Date: 2021-03-29 Member: 268606Members
    Solar panels are never used underwater. Why are you doing this at Subnautica. Solar panels should be placed on a raft, above the water, as seen in this picture.

solar-panels-water-27322523.jpg

Therefore, Subnautica should become a multiplayer cooperative game, with much more technology. It is also possible to get energy from wind and water waves. Create special modules in Subnautica to create machines for obtaining energy from ocean waves and wind.

• LoothoarderLoothoarder Join Date: 2018-01-25 Member: 235725Members
    Dreassil wrote: »
    I feel like there is something missing behind Purple Vents and Lilypad Islands. I would put there some biome or cut it off, cuz it looks kinda wierd right now.

There are many areas that still need polishing, usually those areas that have little relevance for the main story. As you mentioned, anything on the south of the map that is close to the edge to the void.

I hope the release process takes care for that and at least some of the following points:

1) Near the arctic area there are still a ridiculuous amount of Eye Jellies and the noise they make is too loud.
    2) Floating iceberg area has lots of space but no leviathan sized predator. Do leviathans in sector zero hate free moving space?
    Easy fix: Place some Chelicerates there to spice things up a little, maybe increase their size to be in between the red shrimp version and the void version.
    3) Stillsuit generates more water than Robin loses via dehydration. Recalculate the rate to be at a reasonable rate (e.g. gain 20 units of water for every 30 units of water lost)
    4) Maybe I missed something in the PDAs but IMHO the lore does not sufficiently explain the abandoning of sector zero between the events of Sam's death and Robin's arrival. To me it
    seems Alterra wants to avoid Marguerit's terrorism (Omega base was destroyed by her) and spy on her with the radio tower. And: How much time passed after Sam's death to the events of the game?