The Future of Below Zero’s Story - Subnautica

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond

imageThe Future of Below Zero’s Story - Subnautica

Hey Subnautica fans! I hope you’re having fun with Below Zero! I’m writing this blog for a few reasons: 1. To update you on development, as we get ready to...

Read the full story here

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Leave your thoughts in the comments thread :)
  • LemonLickerLemonLicker Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255790Members
  • theMadPigstertheMadPigster Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255791Members
  • SusiSusi Finland Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255792Members
    I respect your choice to rework the story and will be looking forward to it. :)
  • aglarannaaglaranna Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255793Members
    What is the current estimate for a full release date?
  • ParticleBeamParticleBeam South Africa Join Date: 2017-01-15 Member: 226761Members
    edited November 2019
    Played a bit of Subzero. While I appreciate the Precusor tech and storyline, I feel that the character Al-An is too obvious. It robs a bit of the mystique from the Precursors, the fact that you can chat with an ancient alien over a cup of tea. I have no problem with the sanctuary and alien data downloads but then that data should help you in more subtle ways (Flashbacks, locations of important story elements, a little history etc) in my opinion.
  • StarwhiskersStarwhiskers Sweden Join Date: 2019-07-12 Member: 253709Members
    Thank you so much for all your incredible work Tom!

As for reworking the story I feel like it's a good decision. As much as I wanted to get invested in the story and its characters I struggled to. I think going for a living story is a really fun new idea though, and I'm all for it. I also think Jill will do wonders with the characters in the game!

Good luck to the whole team! The game is already amazing and I'm very excited for the full release :)
  • DonutKing100DonutKing100 Montrose Colorado Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255796Members
    Love everything about below zero can not wait for it you guys blew me away with Subnautica just everything about the game was inspirational, frightening, excitement, and all around amazing and the scenic views are just amazing I hope too soon see some of the amazing paintings come up for sale and I would really love too see some multiplayer but keep up the good work and I support every step!!!!!
  • eristeeriste Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255795Members
    Would be nice if you brought back the first person you chose to voice act Robin, and i hope you also fix the game to where it doesn't freeze up after being played for just a few minutes.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    eriste wrote: »
    Would be nice if you brought back the first person you chose to voice act Robin, and i hope you also fix the game to where it doesn't freeze up after being played for just a few minutes.

The newer voice actually sounds like a middle-age woman - what she's suppose to be - why would removing that and making her sound like she use to be a good idea? It just harkins back to a less mature protagonist that isn't as enjoyable to play as or listen to.
  • darthvaldadarthvalda Join Date: 2017-02-10 Member: 227789Members
    I would like to thank David and his team for this honesty! It takes guts to admit if you ran into an dead end and change the course, after you invested a lot of work in something. It's better than just keep pushing forward if you're not convinced in what you're doing or how things are progressing.
    David's words just supported my subliminal feelings I had over the last months towards "Below Zero" and how the story developed.
    Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to see what the game will be like in the near future.
  • VoluspaVoluspa Old Earth Join Date: 2019-02-04 Member: 250375Members
    Welcome to planet 4546B Jill :) I'm looking forward to experiencing the new storyline!
  • DamageDocDamageDoc Asgard Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255799Members
    This... This does put a smile on my face
  • OraclekillaOraclekilla New Zealand Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255802Members
    edited November 2019
    Didn't know what I was going to be playing today, now I do.
    Can't wait to dive back in again, into the terrifying, ocean hellscape, that will give me nightmares..
    It will be amazing!
  • ScrotusmaximusScrotusmaximus Australia Join Date: 2019-11-22 Member: 255804Members
    Cheers David for your Blog and thank you to the incredible team at unknown worlds for there amazing game creation, In terms of the Final story/complete game do you have an approximate date for release, thanks Glenn
  • texmastertexmaster Join Date: 2016-09-25 Member: 222573Members
    Looking forward to the new update! Hopefully before thanksgiving. I've got family to avoid! :D
  • JenniferEthelJenniferEthel China Join Date: 2019-10-22 Member: 255131Members
    Can the album be changed into a video player?
  • LockeRobsterLockeRobster Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255814Members
    I appreciate the transparency mate. Things happen and it can be hard to bring everything together and keep them on track. I just hope Tom didn't leave because of anything negative related to Below Zero, I've seen a lot of good projects fall apart after key story/loremasters leave a project...
  • gaborbgaborb Poland, Gliwice Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227627Members
    I hope you also know how many people hate the Sea Truck. :D And think it's way inferior to the Cyclops in every way, especially feel and design.
  • ShemrockskiShemrockski MI USA Join Date: 2019-11-21 Member: 255747Members

yes this very much ! I loved the young inquisitive spirit Robin had a sense of wide eyed wonder even in the face of a disaster / survival situation she seemed to look at it as an adventure to be had and trusted herself to not just survive but to even enjoy and conquer the experience in the pursuit of knowledge and discovery
  • b0bendonb0bendon Florida Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255828Members
    As I have stated In-game, I Love BZ. It does need more available resources, particularly the Large Deposits that Only Prawn Suits can mine. Those would provide a better motivation for Building the Prawn, Carting it around, etc. Also, adding the new Building to the Original Game would be Fantastic (if it is feasible, and if it hasn't already happened).
    darthvalda wrote: »
    I would like to thank David and his team for this honesty! It takes guts to admit if you ran into an dead end and change the course, after you invested a lot of work in something. It's better than just keep pushing forward if you're not convinced in what you're doing or how things are progressing.
    David's words just supported my subliminal feelings I had over the last months towards "Below Zero" and how the story developed.
    Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to see what the game will be like in the near future.

Much the same was stated during the Beta of Subnautica itself.
    gaborb wrote: »
    I hope you also know how many people hate the Sea Truck. :D And think it's way inferior to the Cyclops in every way, especially feel and design.

The Cyclops was always supposed to come back at some point. The Seatruck has its uses though, particularly when dealing with large predators, or even the unique Modules it has (like the Teleporter, Sleep and Storage Compartments). They can be placed to allow for Midpoints for deep dives, escape routes, and other uses Nobody has found yet. I say keep it, but bring back the Seamoth, which would be a perfect counterpart to it.
    The Seatruck would allow for Module Placement, extra Storage, etc. The Seamoth still has its Exceptional Place (Storage/Defense/etc.), but it is a Shallow Water Vehicle that needs a Speed Upgrade to survive in the new game. The Sea Truck would be best as a middle-depth vehicle, right between the Cyclops snd the Seamoth.
  • oracledragonoracledragon Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255829Members
    b0bendon wrote: »
    gaborb wrote: »

The Cyclops was always supposed to come back at some point.

Is that stated somewhere? Seatruck was fine, but I love the Cyclops; just unlocked it on the GamePass version of the game the other day. I had forgotten what a joy it is to operate it... it is probably the best in-game vehicle ever realized, or at least that I have played with.
  • MilkyywayMilkyyway China Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255833Members
    When i first time saw a video about subnautica on YouTube, o bought a new laptop to play this game.. Lol. The feeling of learning and experiencing spmethong new large creatures and beautiful places. I love what you guys doong, but the feeling which i had before, got lost on this game. There not enough friendly creatures ?
  • Krypter24Krypter24 Skelmersdale Join Date: 2018-12-10 Member: 245424Members
    Thank you for the update and I don't want to ask the same old question as many has asked but will the console community get to play this story before you go back to the drowning board in the story department or give Xbox preview the opportunity to play Toms version of his work. Been waiting patiently as I have no working pc that will run this game and worry about missing out a specific part of its life.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

yes this very much ! I loved the young inquisitive spirit Robin had a sense of wide eyed wonder even in the face of a disaster / survival situation she seemed to look at it as an adventure to be had and trusted herself to not just survive but to even enjoy and conquer the experience in the pursuit of knowledge and discovery

Except she sounded 17 instead of 37.
  • Blackmalice1Blackmalice1 Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255839Members
    Amazing work all around. Count me in for the long haul. I can't wait to see what Subnatica will be in the future.
  • mtkmtk Join Date: 2019-03-12 Member: 251685Members
    i'm just glad you finally fixed the crush depth bug :-).