Release to gog.com

2»

Comments

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    I'm not terribly enamored of Steam lately. Try and get ahold of their customer service. Besides the web ticket. Apparently a single, hidden phone number?

There IS no contact besides that. No chat, no email, no nothing. Just a web ticket and secret phone number. Don't like it? Too bad. And the number is via google search, they don't put it anywhere. Not sure if it's even worth using.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    That's a solid argument. Do the competitors( Gog, Origin, Epic, etc) have better service? Move your new purchases elsewhere.

On the positive side, I haven't had many problems that needed service( the only recent one was due to a filtering router, not their fault at all).
  • GrzechuGrekGrzechuGrek Join Date: 2019-08-17 Member: 254319Members
    edited December 2019
    [moderator edit]

Rude and uncalled for. If you're not going to play the game, good. Go ahead and get off these forums if you have nothing to contribute but pointless insults.

You of course are free to buy what you want, and where you want, but you have to know that supporting developers/companies who are like to take away customer's basic rights, will don't resolve main problem, but make things even worse!
    narfblat wrote: »
    Let's no get baited into a flame war. Deleted direct insult, considered cutting more.

For the topic itself: steam has an offline mode; I successfully used it for Subnautica and other games when I had issues with Steam thinking my other computer was still playing a game (even with other computer off).

DRM is going to be found on most games, unless the developer/pirate war has some resolution( not likely). Gog only gets a select portion, mostly old games from what I've seen. Don't hold your breath (until after you get the game :) )

Yes, Steam have a offline mode, but it's still a DRM, you still have to have a internet connection to (re)install game, even from local files data and you still can't make a sterling backup.

This is pitiful and ridiculus that legal customers are punished for pirates who can still fully comfortly use games at will, without struggling with DRM and without restriction and troubles due no having internet connection nor because of the place of residence.

Properly a internet connection should be a naturally requied just for purchase game, download/update it, and online play only - never for local (re)install, launch and playing on single player and hot seat mode! So internet requirence for single player and online activation is stupidly, absurdally and unnatural restriction.
    And I don't pay internet providers for that, to be able use games whose I payed for. This is totally pointless, and stupidly.
    This isn't a pure online mmo games like a League of Legends or Worlds of Tanks.

The whole idea of creation of DRM was understandable for obvioulsy reason, but in practical it's don't work as should to work.
    This should harm pirates, but instead it, this does harmes a legal customers, who constantly have does to prove that aren't a pirates.
    In addition such DRM protection are does cracked, sooner or bit later.
    So all this pirates have to do, is a waiting bit longer till cracked game does land on torrents.
    Fortunally some companies and developers seem to understand this a some time ago, so some games have a DRM-Free versions.

But as you sain, DRM is going to be found on most games, so this its major threat for customers good along with low effectiveness against pirates.
    So, there can fight it by voting on various sites, games wishlist, by posting on according forums and so on. But there is nothing more effective than wallet voting, in others words - not buying games with DRM.

That all I sayed at moment. You are free to baned me, I don't care it.
    But you have to know, that from acceptance or even tolerance of DRM will don't come anything good for customers.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    narfblat wrote: »
    That's a solid argument. Do the competitors( Gog, Origin, Epic, etc) have better service? Move your new purchases elsewhere.

On the positive side, I haven't had many problems that needed service( the only recent one was due to a filtering router, not their fault at all).

I can vouch for GOG's customer service. That said, I have never needed to use Steam's.
  • theH_1592theH_1592 Join Date: 2019-03-05 Member: 251519Members
    edited January 2020
    Well, Steam just decided that the card I was using for a few years is no longer acceptable, because it was issued "in another region". So, now I cannot buy stuff from them because I use a card issued in one country while living in another?

I mean, that might sound harsh, but if I cannot buy this on GOG and Steam is giving me pain the the backside, I might just need to pirate and give the devs money back through some other means.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    I'm sure the developers don't allow discussion of piracy on their forum. Please don't bring it up again.

Try discussing with Steam support. By card, do you mean prepaid steam card, or pc hardware?

The game is also available on Epic, see if they have similar issues.
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    theH_1592 wrote: »
    Well, Steam just decided that the card I was using for a few years is no longer acceptable, because it was issued "in another region". So, now I cannot buy stuff from them because I use a card issued in one country while living in another?

I mean, that might sound harsh, but if I cannot buy this on GOG and Steam is giving me pain the the backside, I might just need to pirate and give the devs money back through some other means.

That is probably beyond Steam's reach.
    Usually changes in credit card policies are not in the online store (which wants to sell more) but in local legislation/procedures that are enforced upon Steam itself.

Personally I've been trying to support GOG. The more competition the better.
  • GrzechuGrekGrzechuGrek Join Date: 2019-08-17 Member: 254319Members
    edited January 2020
    Well, some other games aren't released on GOG and probably never will be, but have it's own a DRM-Free version to buy, usually on producent webpage or other official distribution websites.
    Of course there would be a best if Subnautica get GOG release, but if instead it will get release on producent's webpage(or Humble Bundle for example), but as DRM-Free version, there will be fine too(at leas for me).