Release to gog.com

ArthanArthan Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212504Members
gog.com has recently allowed early access games under the name of "games in development".
This would be an opportunity for Subnautica to reach people not on Steam and provide an option for those opposed to DRM (or Steam) to support UWE.

Comments

• CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
  • 7imekeeper7imekeeper Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215173Members
    Support! I'm already planning on purchasing the game a second time so I can have an Xbox One version. Definitely would do a third for a DRM free version.
  • CyionCyion London, ON Join Date: 2016-04-04 Member: 215334Members
    Do the developers have any plans to put Subnautica on gog.com? I really want to buy this game but I am not a fan of having steam software to play my games. If I have to I will buy it on Steam, but I won't be making a purchase on Steam until I know for sure it is never coming to gog.com.
  • 4ndr344ndr34 Italy Join Date: 2016-05-08 Member: 216527Members
    I am pretty confident that the Developers know that releasing the game on GOG.com will boost the selling. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    :necrothread:

Eh, was there ever any official response to this as to yes / no / we'll see?
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    The only thing keeping me from buying this game is the fact that I refuse to have anything to do with Steam. I binge-watched all 36 of Markiplier's let's-plays of Subnautica in two days; were Subnautica on GOG, I would buy it instantly, without hesitation.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    As you can tell from my post count, I'm new here, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question: is there any way we can get a dev or two to weigh in on this? There are now *37* let's-plays on Mark's channel. :#
    edited December 2016
    You could @mention them.

Like @baronvonsatan

You can try the Discord server (see my signature).
  • ELFsweELFswe Sweden Join Date: 2016-12-28 Member: 225591Members
    edited December 2016
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    You could @mention them.

Like @baronvonsatan

You can try the Discord server (see my signature).

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/profile/mention <-- I has sad that isn't a profile
    Vote in this poll. (GOG related)
    I voted in the poll, but in the end I could only hold out three more months. I'm a Steam customer now. :/
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I voted in the poll, but in the end I could only hold out three more months. I'm a Steam customer now. :/

9a5d7b8c3946efe18c7d6d6b99142113ff4a1b1216d2de579d50212a7ec16142.jpg

a3279280276df3ebce41be9fc5e16a7f.gif

Seriously though, welcome to the warm and loving Subnautica family! :blush:

Youse better not make a mess of the place, or we'll have to have a "discussion" wit' ya about it, capisce?

(Don't worry, I'm kidding. Maybe...) :open_mouth:
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    (Don't worry, I'm kidding. Maybe...) :open_mouth:

Soon he'll be sleeping with the fishies.

Because y'know he'll probably be resting in his base, underwater.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    edited June 2017
    Why the hate on Steam? It's not locking you to online only. It's not locking you to device only. You have a username and a password and play.

Edit: If you are making an account on this forum to ask to not have to make an account, what's the difference on making one on Steam and buying the game?
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members
    if they released it on GoG then the developers would have to manage a second independent update system rather than just pushing out updates over steam CDN
    if they released it on GoG then the developers would have to manage a second independent update system rather than just pushing out updates over steam CDN

Not that big of a deal once v1.0 is reached, though.
  • DragoWhoovesDragoWhooves UK Join Date: 2017-05-30 Member: 230836Members

kinda still is, as they would have to provide a secure download link for people who have bought the game, plus there still will be updates after 1.0 so they'll have to work out a way of getting users those updates, why go through all that hassle when you already have it on a platform that auto-updates and you don't have to maintain any servers?

kinda still is, as they would have to provide a secure download link for people who have bought the game, plus there still will be updates after 1.0 so they'll have to work out a way of getting users those updates, why go through all that hassle when you already have it on a platform that auto-updates and you don't have to maintain any servers?

GOG has their own servers, just like Steam does. Granted, you'd still have to get the product and any updates to GOG for distribution, but I imagine GOG has made that as easy as possible, seeing how many legacy (and new) titles are releasing on it.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited July 2017
    I guess it's based on who you prefer or who has the games/features you like best. Personally I'd rather pay for physical media in place of digital distribution - if I can't hold it in my hands, is it really mine? But Markiplier's LP of Subnautica finally got me to finally succumb to the delectable treats that Steam has to offer.

I guess Steam has more "brand-awareness" since they also put out Team Fortress and Portal also, but I personally had never heard of GoG or its services before 2016. I'm sure they're a decent service and a reliable website, but I don't really trust a website that relies on word-of-mouth to promote their awareness. However... GoG did get a mention on the Nerf Now!! webcomic, so I guess they can't be all that bad! :tongue:
    I guess it's based on who you prefer or who has the games/features you like best. Personally I'd rather pay for physical media in place of digital distribution - if I can't hold it in my hands, is it really mine? But Markiplier's LP of Subnautica finally got me to finally succumb to the delectable treats that Steam has to offer.

I guess Steam has more "brand-awareness" since they also put out Team Fortress and Portal also, but I personally had never heard of GoG or its services before 2016. I'm sure they're a decent service and a reliable website, but I don't really trust a website that relies on word-of-mouth to promote their awareness. However... GoG did get a mention on the Nerf Now!! webcomic, so I guess they can't be all that bad! :tongue:

GOG actually has a more consumer-friendly approach than Steam: if you download the complete installer, it will always work, and is not tied to account authentication (they are completely DRM-free). The downside is some publishers probably won't use GOG because of this, the upside is, GOG could crash and burn tomorrow, but if you have the content's installer downloaded, you won't have to worry about it regardless.

Also, GOG does a better job making sure titles remain compatible with newer OSes.
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    edited August 2017

GOG actually has a more consumer-friendly approach than Steam: if you download the complete installer, it will always work, and is not tied to account authentication (they are completely DRM-free). The downside is some publishers probably won't use GOG because of this, the upside is, GOG could crash and burn tomorrow, but if you have the content's installer downloaded, you won't have to worry about it regardless.

Also, GOG does a better job making sure titles remain compatible with newer OSes.

Consumer friendly = free games for everyone. Steam saved PC gaming through accessible DRM. There would be few to zero AAA games on PC if there was no steam. GOG isn't going anywhere. It's basically run by Poland's GDP and would require another total shutdown of a country.

Titles compatable with newer OS. :neutral: You can get Wizardry repacks on Steam with DOSBOX same as GOG. GOG has nothing to do with that other than quality control (sometimes better and sometimes worse) and taking less overhead than Steam (because it's a smaller player). The compatability is up to the content owner providing an ability to execute their 20+ year old game "out of the box".

Nobody has given a reason to use GOG other than "It's not Steam".

Is there anything compelling other than opening the game up to piracy?

Edit: Oh crap my harddrive crashed and I lost all my information including my saved passwords. Crap I don't remember any of them. I guess it's cool that I can download the game from GOG and run it still.... oh... I need a username and password to download it again? I guess I should have burned it to a CD or something. Neat, I found my usernames and passwords. I guess I could now download it from either GOG or Steam without any problems due to having an account that saves my purchased games.
  • LulzesLulzes Join Date: 2017-07-25 Member: 232050Members
    Worth noting that GOG releases are ideal for pirating... maybe one reason UWE isn't interested?

Consumer friendly = free games for everyone. Steam saved PC gaming through accessible DRM. There would be few to zero AAA games on PC if there was no steam. GOG isn't going anywhere. It's basically run by Poland's GDP and would require another total shutdown of a country.

Titles compatable with newer OS. :neutral: You can get Wizardry repacks on Steam with DOSBOX same as GOG. GOG has nothing to do with that other than quality control (sometimes better and sometimes worse) and taking less overhead than Steam (because it's a smaller player). The compatability is up to the content owner providing an ability to execute their 20+ year old game "out of the box".

Nobody has given a reason to use GOG other than "It's not Steam".

Is there anything compelling other than opening the game up to piracy?

Edit: Oh crap my harddrive crashed and I lost all my information including my saved passwords. Crap I don't remember any of them. I guess it's cool that I can download the game from GOG and run it still.... oh... I need a username and password to download it again? I guess I should have burned it to a CD or something. Neat, I found my usernames and passwords. I guess I could now download it from either GOG or Steam without any problems due to having an account that saves my purchased games.

"Wizardry repacks" have nothing to do with DOSBox, that's just a DOS emulator, rather, I'm referring to incompatibilities in the game itself that require modification so it doesn't crash or otherwise bork out (like IIRC Rogue Squadron does, but, on GOG, doesn't cause it's patched). As for the insinuation, please read below:
    Lulzes wrote: »
    Worth noting that GOG releases are ideal for pirating... maybe one reason UWE isn't interested?

Oh please, if you want to steal Subnautica right now (or any other game), all you have to do is know where to look and how to be careful to not get infected (or caught!), and you'll find there's both Steam and GOG releases up there, as well as CD / DVD rips and other stuff. Everything from games, to movies, to music, to operating systems, to Photoshop, it's all there. GOG has nothing to do with the availability of pirated content.

Also, let the record stand: Steam didn't save PC gaming with accessible DRM (as I said above, none of that works for long anyways) it saved PC gaming with a user-friendly digital distribution platform with sales that placed titles at a reasonable price on a regular basis.
  • JustAPasserByJustAPasserBy Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235996Members
    Hey guys.

1. Great job on this game. It is very beautiful and especially violence free. I like that very much.
    2. I am seeking to buy Subnautica, but alas I am always thrown back to that PARASITE Steam. Like others, I actually have an account there, from ages past, but I will no longer support their practices of forcing their black box client upon me, to be able to play my paid for games.
    3. Hence, if you should publish your game on a DRMclient free platform, i.e. GOG, I will be happy to buy it. If that would mean paying more, I also would do that.

With kind regards
    JustAPasserBy
  • theH_1592theH_1592 Join Date: 2019-03-05 Member: 251519Members
    Too bad this is such an old thread. I am one of those still waiting for this on Gog.com...
    theH_1592 wrote: »
    Too bad this is such an old thread. I am one of those still waiting for this on Gog.com...

I don't think it's ever going to happen. I couldn't wait any longer, so I bit the bullet and joined Steam. It's been nearly a couple years and so far, I have no regrets.
  • GrzechuGrekGrzechuGrek Join Date: 2019-08-17 Member: 254319Members
    edited October 2019
    theH_1592 wrote: »

I don't think it's ever going to happen. I couldn't wait any longer, so I bit the bullet and joined Steam. It's been nearly a couple years and so far, I have no regrets.

If that, then I don't think I'm ever going to buy this game. [moderator edit].

I will buy subnautica only when this will be released on GOG or somehow as DRM-Free version. Only then, no different.
    I will rather never play a given game, than do support platform/publishers who discriminate paying customers due to no having internet connection and makes them impossible to make a sterling backup and restore offline from it.

So I'm ready for resignation subnautica(and each other game) than become a steam(or somehow other platform support DRM) customer and/or be a treated as worse class customer.
    That it's.
    edited October 2019
    [moderator edit]

Rude and uncalled for. If you're not going to play the game, good. Go ahead and get off these forums if you have nothing to contribute but pointless insults.

• narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Let's no get baited into a flame war. Deleted direct insult, considered cutting more.

For the topic itself: steam has an offline mode; I successfully used it for Subnautica and other games when I had issues with Steam thinking my other computer was still playing a game (even with other computer off).

DRM is going to be found on most games, unless the developer/pirate war has some resolution( not likely). Gog only gets a select portion, mostly old games from what I've seen. Don't hold your breath (until after you get the game :) )