3rd Person View Option, and other character stuff...

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
Hey guys I'm back, been a long time...

1. Today I'm wondering of peoples thoughts on adding a 3rd person view, now about 2 years ago the devs said they would think about it.
I believe it would be cool to see the animations much better.

NOTE: This will not be primary view, i agree that the first person view is absolutely essential to the story line... as a dev option or better a console line command, would be a nice amenity.

What happened to the 3d paper doll we were promised and was in a special version? I miss it. The drag and drop character thingy.

latest?cb=20150319212456

That was really cool... can/are they bring it back?

Thoughts?

Comments

• SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We tried 3rd person view very early on and it didn't fit the game we wanted to make.

To be clear, we never 'promised' anything. You can drag/drop items into the paper-doll in the PDA currently.
    edited October 2016
    Excuse my tongue, this is a copy-and-paste discussion from something older, I do not see paper doll in my current Subnautica version... yes it is latest, stable...

As far as 3rd person, for development and debugging purposes, I believe i said, a command, in the command line?

This is your game and for me to be saddened by the hard work you, the team, the forum, have put together to make something truly original and good, well, it would be sad and would reflect on my much already broken 3 Year Old reputation.

This is a suggestion and you are not obliged to do anything. I speak for most people when we say the game is great and can only get better!

Sincerely...
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    Technically the equip slot on the right is the paper-doll.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited October 2016
    When you hit the TAB key, a window opens showing your Inventory.
    The left side of the window shows the spaces you can place/carry items in, and the right side shows an image of your character with associated slots for a Diving Suit/O2 Tank/Helmet/Fins...etc.

THAT is what they are calling your "Paper Doll".
    B)
    Funny, at the time it wasn't implemented.
    Or, at least, the actual 3d model for the player.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Oh my gosh, i do really want third person, like, SO MUCH!! Please add this devs, add it!
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members
    edited February 2019
    Being able to switch between first and third person veiw would be nice. Though I don't know enough about game developement to know how much work that adding a new camera angle and coding in the ability to switch in game would be...
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Nikikeya wrote: »
    Being able to switch between first and third person veiw would be nice. Though I don't know enough about game developement to know how much work that adding a new camera angle and coding in the ability to switch in game would be...

Could they use the cyclops ability and modify it a little?
  • NikikeyaNikikeya Maine, USA Join Date: 2016-06-23 Member: 218952Members

At the time I first posted I hadn't got my cyclops yet, and so I waited to reply till after I managed to get one and check it out. I do think it would work., basically have one camera veiw for 1st person, then hokey a second over the shoulder 3rd person veiw. But I wonder if they don't allow 3rd person to cut down on need for character animations or something like that. (Again I reiterate: I'm not a game dev.)

I do know that in the orginal game Ryley had very little mobility of veiw. Sitting in a chair, only his head would move. Not his entire uper body like you would expect.

Also, when walking outside of the water his view was much lower than you would expect, it almost seemed like you were looking out of his chest. Especially with how his arms were angled. Normally one would look down slightly to see the hand, but Ryley's hand is constantly at eye level, which is kinda weird...

469fq4cckdg8.jpg

I do know that in the orginal game Ryley had very little mobility of veiw. Sitting in a chair, only his head would move. Not his entire uper body like you would expect.

Also, when walking outside of the water his view was much lower than you would expect, it almost seemed like you were looking out of his chest. Especially with how his arms were angled. Normally one would look down slightly to see the hand, but Ryley's hand is constantly at eye level, which is kinda weird...

469fq4cckdg8.jpg

Yes, you would expect to see your body move along with your head.

I have noticed that, the arms do seem to be at eye level, or eyes at arm level... it is weird.
    But i do believe that that is easily fixed.