Very strange framerate bug when looking NNE from starting area.

2»

Comments

• FlootLoopFlootLoop USA Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237577Members
    Deleting the CellsCache folder did NOT improve the issue for me.

I ended up backing up my CellsCache folder and when I noticed the issue was still present I just pasted it back in.

My fiancee is also having this issue to a more severe extent. Her average fps is less than mine and her drops are also worse (around 5-10 fps total). She has taken to looking straight down whenever she walks around her base, otherwise things don't work.

We both have AMD graphics cards and AMD APUs.

I am running an RX 480 4GB with an AMD 10-7800.
    She has an R7 370 with and AMD A8 (I don't remember the specifics of her APU at the moment).
  • Akolyte01Akolyte01 Join Date: 2018-02-26 Member: 238349Members
    FlootLoop wrote: »
    Deleting the CellsCache folder did NOT improve the issue for me.

I ended up backing up my CellsCache folder and when I noticed the issue was still present I just pasted it back in.

My fiancee is also having this issue to a more severe extent. Her average fps is less than mine and her drops are also worse (around 5-10 fps total). She has taken to looking straight down whenever she walks around her base, otherwise things don't work.

We both have AMD graphics cards and AMD APUs.

I am running an RX 480 4GB with an AMD 10-7800.
    She has an R7 370 with and AMD A8 (I don't remember the specifics of her APU at the moment).

Are your bases near any thermal geysers?
  • FlootLoopFlootLoop USA Join Date: 2018-02-13 Member: 237577Members
    Both of ours are right by the original life pod, but I don't know how consistent the lifepod spawns are.

Mine is right next to a geyser in the safe shallows, however the slowdown doesn't appear to be related to that particular geyser. If I leave my base and go NNE past the geyser, I still have the slowdown. If I turn around so that the geyser is SSW (and in front of my base), I don't have the slowdown.
  • RoboSoupRoboSoup United States Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238603Members
    this is happening to me too! on the exact same parts of the compass, in the same place! This definitely wasn't happening earlier in my playthrough. like OP, I had thought it was due to expanding my base. I hope a proper solution is found soon, i'm really not having fun in my nice base anymore :(
  • TheQwertiestTheQwertiest Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237786Members
    edited March 2018
    Kinda sad that this bug is not even on UWE's trello despite it being so obvious (and most likely easy to fix) =(
    Did anyone try reporting it via in-game bug-reporting tool?

PS: Same with unlimited stalker tooth works...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2018
    Kinda sad that this bug is not even on UWE's trello despite it being so obvious (and most likely easy to fix) =(
    Did anyone try reporting it via in-game bug-reporting tool?

PS: Same with unlimited stalker tooth works...

Used to be @Belgarel was awesome at stomping these sorts of issues, but I haven't heard from him in forever, not sure what he's up to (last post was Jan 3rd).
  • TheQwertiestTheQwertiest Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237786Members
    @0x6A7232 : yeah, it does not seem that developers lurk these boards a lot anymore...
    Seems that the only way for the bug to be noticed is to be put on the trello, which can be done only by Subnautica Play Testers (whoever they are), since Subnautica built-in F8 issue reporting tool is pretty useless right now, because of a huge in-flow of nonsensical reports...

The reddit users even tracked the source of these draw calls (link), but regretfully we can't solve the bug ourselves =(
  • FiddiFiddi Sweden Join Date: 2018-07-07 Member: 241981Members
    Hello, I also have this problem. Looking at a specific point drop the fps from 60 to less than 30. It's game breaking and should be fixed!
  • zerglzergl Submerged Join Date: 2018-07-18 Member: 242292Members
    I think I might have found a minimally invasive workaround (it worked for me at least ;)).

I had the same Geyser draw calls @DC_Darkling and @hunnersaginger noted and the marker for those was at the same shallows Geyser that was pointed out by /u/qub1 in the reddit thread. YMMV if other geysers or other environmental effects can trigger the same problem in other locations.

What fixed it was deleting the Cells Cache file of the geyser location (and one above and below for good measure): baked-batch-cells-12-18-10.bin (and 12-17-10 and 12-19-10 though those might be irrelevant).

For reference, the bug happened at my shallows base at -185, -30, -330 and extended to the south-ish and east-ish across the safe shallows and a bit into the kelp forest and only when I was looking in Lifepod 5's direction (tested with lowest FOV slider setting and my normal 90 FOV). As soon as the Lifepod was either visible or its beacon (for non-LOS tests) the FPS would tank.
    Having the Geyser or its cell in my FOV had absolutely no bearing on the FPS drop for whatever reason.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited August 2018
    So I just checked.. WTF is this geyser bug still in?

>Edit.
    perhaps its my fault for not making a seperate topic. I poked someone on discord about it. :)
    <
  • NilsouNilsou France Join Date: 2018-09-10 Member: 243465Members
    edited September 2018
    I can confirm that i have the exact same bug.
    Following idea on this topic and on other post on the net i have deleted those cell file (in Cellcaches dir) for testing :

12-17-10
    12-18-10
    12-19-10

and

14-18-15
    14-18-16

annnnnnnnnnnnd .... IT WORKS !!!

I have checked the "perfs" console before and after, deleting these file erase the call to the two "Xgeyser" functions. So i think it confirm that this is geyser related and that the massive call to these function are the cause of the problem.
    As the restoring of this cell solve the problem it should due to interaction between the geyser and the world (construction ? Fish stuck ? Dead fish in the geyser accumulating ? Wreck ?)

Is this problem reported to the devs ?
    I can confirm that the exact same bug appear again after playing with the geyser. I don't know what exactly trigger the bug, but i have done few construction in my base near the geyser and i realize after that that the bug reappears. I don't know if it's the fact that i have made many travel near the geyser or the fact that my thermic base was "rewired" automaticaly when i destroy and rebuild base, but the two have been done and the bug is here again.

I am going to test the solution applied before and will report the result on the topic.

If the devs needs specific save or whatever, plz notice what is necessary.
    reapplied the solution and it re-work so i think i can't do more ^^
  • VazaVaza Join Date: 2018-10-06 Member: 243993Members
    edited October 2018
    Build Sep-2018 61056.

I also have the exact same problem. I'm shocked this has been around since Feb. 1st. My system is near top of the line (1080ti, 32gb ram, ssd etc.)

I built my base in safe shallows, same general area as some others. Near and around these coordinates -183 -35.2 -327, I'm getting massive frame lag and stuttering when facing NW to E. It's showing a massive 25,000 GeyserShort calls. 18,000 Geyser_warning calls.

If I may be blunt, I have little patience or trust for companies that fail to address issues like this.

edit: I forgot to mention I have 2 saves currently. One survival and one hardcore, both are near the same advancement level. Only my hardcore save has this directional frame rate problem, survival does not. Differences between saves. Survival base isn't on the border of a biome transition but closer to the southern shallows thermal. Survival base is using thermal, hardcore is not. Survival save is a bit further along. To reiterate, the directional frame rate problem doesn't only happen near the base on my hardcore save. I moved around the map some and found the problem exists in different areas.
    You can upload your saved game and then e-mail Subnautica support; perhaps they'll look into it. I think right now they're trying to get Subnautica running on Unity 2018 and then address bugs (as if they do bugs first, many of them might not occur on 2018 anyways, wasting time, and many more bugs will show with the move to 2018).

Not making excuses, just pointing what they're probably doing (keep in mind it was a 20 person dev crew when it was under full development).
  • HoodedDeathHoodedDeath United States Join Date: 2018-10-26 Member: 244356Members
    I'm not sure if the issue I've found is the same as this one, but it sounds very similar. The one I've run into has to do with a certain batch area in the game. I can't remember which direction from start it is, but I found through some Google searches that there's a file in the save folder, the file being 'CellsCache\baked-batch-cells-14-18-15.bin' Deleting this seems to fix the problem, at least for a while
  • RoboSoupRoboSoup United States Join Date: 2018-03-04 Member: 238603Members
    Nilsou wrote: »
    I can confirm that i have the exact same bug.
    Following idea on this topic and on other post on the net i have deleted those cell file (in Cellcaches dir) for testing :

12-17-10
    12-18-10
    12-19-10

and

14-18-15
    14-18-16

annnnnnnnnnnnd .... IT WORKS !!!

thank you so, so much... its been many months but i can finally play one of my favorite games again! even though i have no idea what i'm supposed to do next lol
  • SyrionSyrion Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249791Members
    edited January 2019
    I only signed up here to also just say thanks! I had this problem throughout most of the hours of playing the game and unfortunately only started investigating further after completing it. It seriously makes me wonder if all players suffer this problem at one point, or if it is in some way specific to hardware, which I can hardly imagine. Or does building the base in the Safe Shallows have anything to do with it?

In my short testing, it was entirely enough to only delete this one single file, as zergl suggested:
    baked-batch-cells-12-18-10.bin
    Deleting the others didn't seem to improve the performance any more at all.

A user on the Steam forums came to an almost identical solution last year, apparently all by himself (I can't post links, yet. The thread is titled "FPS drops when looking in certain directions - Possible Solution" by user "Ink").
    edited January 2019
    @Syrion mangle the link and I'll quote it to fix it. eg: http : // steamcommunity . com/app/264710/discussions/3/1709564118767457490/

@madsauce This issue is still on you guys' backlog of stuff to fix, right? If not, probably needs to be.
  • SyrionSyrion Join Date: 2019-01-30 Member: 249791Members
    edited January 2019
    Oh, I don't think it's all that important, rather interesting. Either way, here it is: https: //steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/1694923613864225037/

I think I' heard that the bug is fixed in the experimental version, so maybe the fix is just waiting for its turn on the stable version. I can't test it, unfortunately, as I only have the game on Epic, which doesn't include experimental in any way.
    Syrion wrote: »
    Oh, I don't think it's all that important, rather interesting. Either way, here it is: https://steamcommunity.com/app/264710/discussions/3/1694923613864225037/

I think I' heard that the bug is fixed in the experimental version, so maybe the fix is just waiting for its turn on the stable version. I can't test it, unfortunately, as I only have the game on Epic, which doesn't include experimental in any way.