Who all is avoiding all things relating to Subnautica: Below Zero expansion to avoid spoilers?

0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
Curious as to what people are doing. Ah shoot, forgot the option for "not interested in Below Zero"... ah well. Guess I can't edit it no. Unless a moderator can? if so, it's be appreciated.

Comments

• AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Been here since the PRAWN Update, and I plan to help in the EA for Below Zero if I can.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    edited November 2018
    That's one thing that I was disappointed with myself for, knowing nearly everything about how to beat the game except the rocket practically memorized.

As much as I adored watching this game grow update by update, it made the final experience lack the magic of taking the first dive.

That's why I'm gonna try and see if making Below Zero as secret as possible will keep the magic and challenge that going in blind provides.
  • baronvonsatanbaronvonsatan TX, USA Join Date: 2016-12-01 Member: 224415Members
    I was in EA for Subnautica, I'm avoiding spoilers, BUT I also want to be in EA for <0.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Skope wrote: »
    That's one thing that I was disappointed with myself for, knowing nearly everything about how to beat the game except the rocket practically memorized.

As much as I adored watching this game grow update by update, it made the final experience lack the magic of taking the first dive.

That's why I'm gonna try and see if making Below Zero as secret as possible will keep the magic and challenge that going in blind provides.

Honestly I have to agree. Just I want to be able to feel like I'm helping.
  • Rabid_LynxRabid_Lynx Join Date: 2017-10-23 Member: 233690Members
    I'm even avoiding reading anything in this thread on the off chance someone is trolling and spoiling everything!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Spoiler: there will be ice!

Kind of on the fence between A and C, probably going to wait at least a while on this one. Playing too many other games at the moment. :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I might pop in once they're just doing the polishing sweep but honestly I don't think so... bugs that have been reported for a long time (years?) are still present in Subnautica. They do make progress fixing them (see: PRAWN able to be modified in Moonpool once console v1.0 patch hits) but what's the point of doing EA and reporting stuff if it's kept on a backburner list a mile long? Seriously, I think UWE needs to hire a bunch more talent if they're that swamped. Do that, make DLC or additional separate games in the Subnautica universe (maybe some outer-space / jungle / desert survival, how about the Craig McGill backstory?) and make a bunch more money on that. Obviously they'd have to make it fresh and different enough from Subnautica to make it worth buying, but the mechanics and gameplay are solid. Just make it different enough that it's not a pure cash grab (like other companies who do cheap iterations of the same core concept - that's fine, but keep the price to fit. You want to charge the same as a full game, better have the gameplay and story to back that up).
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    edited November 2018
    I haven't voted yet.
    On one hand I want to avoid spoilers and only play when the game is as functional as possible.
    On the other, I'm still visiting this forum and spoilers will be unavoidable. I'm also extremely hyped, as anyone here.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I might pop in once they're just doing the polishing sweep but honestly I don't think so... bugs that have been reported for a long time (years?) are still present in Subnautica. They do make progress fixing them (see: PRAWN able to be modified in Moonpool once console v1.0 patch hits) but what's the point of doing EA and reporting stuff if it's kept on a backburner list a mile long? Seriously, I think UWE needs to hire a bunch more talent if they're that swamped. Do that, make DLC or additional separate games in the Subnautica universe (maybe some outer-space / jungle / desert survival, how about the Craig McGill backstory?) and make a bunch more money on that. Obviously they'd have to make it fresh and different enough from Subnautica to make it worth buying, but the mechanics and gameplay are solid. Just make it different enough that it's not a pure cash grab (like other companies who do cheap iterations of the same core concept - that's fine, but keep the price to fit. You want to charge the same as a full game, better have the gameplay and story to back that up).

Those were widely accepted until now because they are(were) still viewed as an indie company. After the huge success of Subnautica the standards expected of them should go way higher. Let's wait and see how their growth will unfold.
  • BlueBottleBlueBottle Australia Join Date: 2018-02-03 Member: 236674Members
    See cake / eat cake? Hmmm... cake!
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    edited November 2018
    Personally I have been avoiding spoilers as I want the fresh experience, and after I have had my playthrough I will then delve deeper into the deep and see other things such as easter eggs and such.

By the way, how have you all been?
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Honestly I think the same.
    Yeah, I reaIly hope UWE turns fully pro one day soon, expanding the production and charging accordingly. I mean it's almost AAA level already, and seems quite under-priced for the quality (don't let this on to Devs though!)
  • TurboDodgeXVITurboDodgeXVI Canada Join Date: 2018-04-29 Member: 240427Members
    I'm sure avoiding it all as best I can. Part of what made Subnautica so amazing was knowing nothing. Nothing about the story, objectives, landscape or any of the monsters. Didn't even know there was anything big enough to kill me for a long time. Was great!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I've avoided the entire pre-release stage of Subnautica, these DLC spoilers are a piece of cake...

Right now I know it's going to be cold and them critters are gonna be ice critters.

I want space penguins, just sayin'!!!
    There's no way I'll manage to hold out till the final release. That took about 4 years last time didn't it?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    BlueBottle wrote: »
    There's no way I'll manage to hold out till the final release. That took about 4 years last time didn't it?
    But now they are building upon a "finished" product, instead of building one from the ground up.