Unreadable text and font.

MatrillexMatrillex Join Date: 2018-11-12 Member: 244673Members
I'm having a horrible bug that's made all font and text and letters broken. Seems most are replaced with weird text while others are just heavily covered in them. I have screenshots but no clue how to upload those. Anyways it seems only one other person I've seen has reported this and no one knows how to fix it. Subnautica use to work just fine for me, then I started having weird lighting bugs and now all the font is broken. The game is basically unplayable.

Comments

• MatrillexMatrillex Join Date: 2018-11-12 Member: 244673Members
    Anyways this has recently become much more severe and much more often. Use to be some things working and sometimes I could reload to get rid of some of it, but now it's happening every time I load the game and every single thing is broken.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Odd. First thing I suggest is to verify game files on Steam. Make sure you are playing in stable, as experimental is known to break sometimes (they break it in experimental so they can fix before release to stable). Follow other instructions in pinned post at the top of the forum for troubleshooting. If nothing else works, restart* pc then uninstall the game. Make sure all files are gone, then reinstall.

*On windows 10, the default shutdown does not clear everything out of memory, for a faster restart.
    narfblat wrote: »
    Odd. First thing I suggest is to verify game files on Steam. Make sure you are playing in stable, as experimental is known to break sometimes (they break it in experimental so they can fix before release to stable). Follow other instructions in pinned post at the top of the forum for troubleshooting. If nothing else works, restart* pc then uninstall the game. Make sure all files are gone, then reinstall.

*On windows 10, the default shutdown does not clear everything out of memory, for a faster restart.

How would I know if I am "playing in stable"? I can't say I recall anything like that. Also I did have Steam verify the files and while it did find something missing; it did not fix it. I'll have to give uninstalling and reinstalling a go.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Matrillex wrote: »

How would I know if I am "playing in stable"? I can't say I recall anything like that. Also I did have Steam verify the files and while it did find something missing; it did not fix it. I'll have to give uninstalling and reinstalling a go.

...Did you switch into experimental or not? Stable is the base game and Experimental is a Beta program you manually have to switch into.

...Did you switch into experimental or not? Stable is the base game and Experimental is a Beta program you manually have to switch into.

I might have, I've gotten back into Subnautica after maybe over a year of playing it. Experimental sounds familiar but I can't remember if I just heard of it or actually switched to it. This is why I was asking how would I know, I want to check to see what I'm on because I can't remember what I might or might not have done.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members

I might have, I've gotten back into Subnautica after maybe over a year of playing it. Experimental sounds familiar but I can't remember if I just heard of it or actually switched to it. This is why I was asking how would I know, I want to check to see what I'm on because I can't remember what I might or might not have done.

On steam, right click the game and select "Properties." Then go to the last tab (I believe) and you should see "Opt in/out of Beta programs." If it says "Experimental" switch it back to stable. If not, then I have no clue how to help.

On steam, right click the game and select "Properties." Then go to the last tab (I believe) and you should see "Opt in/out of Beta programs." If it says "Experimental" switch it back to stable. If not, then I have no clue how to help.

Alright I'm not on beta, so that isn't the cause of the problem.

Restarting, uninstalling, and reinstalling did not work.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Run a memory test using memtes86 / memtest86+ or Windows Memory Test, and perhaps a stress test of your GPU -- I'm thinking hardware looking at that. Not sure though. You could also try running sfc /scannow to repair any damaged Windows system files.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Run a memory test using memtes86 / memtest86+ or Windows Memory Test, and perhaps a stress test of your GPU -- I'm thinking hardware looking at that. Not sure though. You could also try running sfc /scannow to repair any damaged Windows system files.

Just ran a memory test and no errors were detected.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Do chkdsk c: /f (replace c: with your subnautica drive letter if different eg d:) and check for damage to the filesystem? That looks like data corruption. Surprised it's not crashing. Can you post your dxdiag output (save info as.. button) and your Subnautica output_log.txt ?
    I managed to figure it out; it seemed the "Special-K" Nier Automata Far mod was what was creating the bug.

(https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/)