My random crashes have been solved.

SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
I started this thread just to simplify things. The thread on my crashes has gotten so huge it's unlikely anybody is going to scan through it in hopes of finding an answer. So I'm putting the final solution here to make it easier for others (including the devs) to find it.

After replacing the PSU, CPU, mobo, and RAM all with no luck and doing a clean reinstall of Windows as well as Steam and the game... still with no luck-- it seems the problem was in the BIOS. And it was an easy tweak. I went in and disabled every single "power saving" feature (Suspend To RAM, etc.) I could find. Then I enabled the HPET (High Precision Event Timer) both in the BIOS and in Windows. We've gone from being unable to play more than 30 minutes or so at a time to being able to play uninterrupted for hours. We even left the game paused and went out for a couple hours with no problem. Yesterday my wife spent literally half the day playing another game (Civ V) with no issues.

I'm not sure why either of those tweaks would stop crashes, but it may be something worth adding to whatever diagnostic recommendations are generally given to people reporting crashes.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Might be a bug in the BIOS with the power saving. BIOS update might fix it. But it's working now, so... (if you do update the BIOS, I'd recommend backing up your current version in case the new one brings problems. Also, "Load Optimized" BIOS settings after updates is generally a good idea, then go in and change anything you need to after you have the optimized default baseline for the settings).
  • SouthernGorillaSouthernGorilla United States Join Date: 2017-07-26 Member: 232057Members
    It's an antique system, no updates available. Even the new bits are obsolete. I'm pretty sure that's still the root of the problem. But at least I can play now until I get the new rig built. Waiting for the next tax refund.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    It's an antique system, no updates available. Even the new bits are obsolete. I'm pretty sure that's still the root of the problem. But at least I can play now until I get the new rig built. Waiting for the next tax refund.

Caveat: The last update may have been 10 years ago, but if the version in your system is from 11 years ago, my advice still stands (if you can get your hands on the file, check your mobo manufacturer's "legacy" section).

Good to know you've got it working, though.