Update 324 - CATALYST - Natural Selection 2

13»

Comments

• snooopssnooops Germany Join Date: 2008-12-08 Member: 65702Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like that, ELO stuff - but it should be less optional. At least every game i played was used to get shuffled, so every game could shuffled by default anyway.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    snooops wrote: »
    I like that, ELO stuff - but it should be less optional. At least every game i played was used to get shuffled, so every game could shuffled by default anyway.

Keep in mind that the shuffle most servers are using is from a community-made mod called Shine. It's highly optional.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Server ops could force shuffle every round if they want to. They have a lot of options available to tinker with.
  • KKyleKKyle Michigan Join Date: 2005-07-01 Member: 55067Members
    While server operators may "have a lot" to tinker with, how much of any of the configuration is actually useful for the average player in server? Compared to the amount done in the back end, behind the scenes and unavail for player other than functionality.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited October 2018
    Nordic wrote: »
    Server ops could force shuffle every round if they want to. They have a lot of options available to tinker with.

The problem is that none of them have those options set in a way that really works well.

You can have teams that statistically look dead even, yet in reality they are wildly unbalanced.

For instance DMD is using a mod (maybe it's shine?) that prevents you from joining a team if it skews the hiveskill further apart... Except it's extremely common to have a situation where you'll have Marines at 1700, Aliens at 1730... Your hivescore is 1750... Aliens can be losing horribly, on one hive, no res nodes, etc.. yet it will still force you to Marine because the numbers are saying that's the most fair, when the reality is completely 100% opposite.

What makes things worse is that one team can have the 2-3 best players in the server, yet if they also have a rookie or two then any joining high skill players can end up being forced to the already "stacked" team because the almighty statistics incorrectly think that team is "weaker" due to the rookie bringing down the average.

So you wind up with situations where the mod trying to prevent unbalanced teams is basically forcing players to stack.